Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/127/120
WOE: JUDDD + <20g carb
Learning curve

Weird thoughts, but I thought I'd share.

Monday was my first UD, and I remember thinking that I was unfettered from the restriction of low-carb. I was buying things to make dinner after going to the gym, and I saw these donuts - fresh baked at Lidl - while I was collecting things. I thought, 'I could have that if I wanted....better not. Don't want to go crazy on my first UD.' And the rest of the evening I kinda over-ate to make up for that lack of donut.

Yesterday - all I did was think of that stupid donut.
This morning I woke up, and decided I would stop off on my way to work. I got the donut. It really wasn't all that great.

The rest of my trip to work, I thought how disordered my relationship with with food is. It feels like for the past 2 decades I've either been "on the right path" avoiding naughty foods, or in out-right rebellion, eating anything I wanted. Hence the yo-yo nature of my weight.

When I was doing strict low-carb NK, I reveled in eating bacon and eggs fried in butter - and I still lost weight. It was like being "naughty" but good at the same time. But then, after the first 2 weeks, the novelty wore off, and other "naughty" foods I couldn't have became so tantalizing that I went off the deep end and binged this past weekend.

I hope as DDs become easier (they WILL, right? ), all foods will be acceptable. If nothing is forbidden, then hopefully it won't consume my mind - to the disruption of all else.

I think, ultimately, that's a goal of mine. Sure, I want to lose another 10 lbs, but I'd like to do it with my sanity in check. And then I'd like to learn how to maintain it. Here's to hoping....
kwerp is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2014, 03:38 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
It's very doable with JUDDD. The DDs will get much easier if not down right simple and JUDDD has a way of repairing our relationship with food.

120lb is totally doable for your height (I'm 5'2"), but I know my body "likes" 126 as supposed to 122, so I have to be quite diligent to stay at 122, while do almost nothing to stay at 126. You will see what works for you.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I am so glad you fought the three day battle of the donut! It has given you some remarkable insights into your personal relationship to food....and that, I think, is one of JUDDDs greatest gifts. If you stick with the rotations, in a few months you may decide to try another fresh, hot donut and discover, this time around, it is completely delicious and a big non-event because you are no longer eating 'naughty' food, you are just noshing something you fancy on an UD.

I found DDs uncomfortable for the first slightly-more-than-three weeks. It takes time for SIRT1 to build up in your system. But, once it hit a certain level, the magic really kicked in for me. On DD Wednesday of week four, I literally felt things change. DDs became very easy. In fact, I found I usually preferred the simplicity of DDs over the complexity of UDs.

Yes, your DDs really should get easier as your body adapts.

And, the only difficulty I had with maintenance was figuring out how to stop losing . I hit goal in September 2012. And, despite taking lots of elaborate vaycays and having friends/family who cook great food like maniacs, I have never been above my goal weight since September 2012.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Carly.
I'm going to try saving food for the end of the day for tomorrow's DD, we'll see how that goes. Maybe it'll help some.

It will be interesting to see where I settle out. I just want to quit yo-yoing. Last year I was up to 146 - I don't ever want to get there again.
I just want to maintain a good weight, fit in my clothes, and enjoy my life and food without obsessing over it.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:49 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Nancy - thanks for the DD down-low.
I'm still cautiously optimistic about JUDDD. After two decades of food being the enemy, I don't want to think this is the magic bullet (the way I thought low carb would be, but obviously isn't for me...) and then be disappointed. It's going to have to be a "wait and see" thing - my patience isn't the best!

I'm nervous because this weekend I'll have two UDs (Friday and Saturday), and I'm worried that Sunday's DD will be difficult. I'll be drinking, and always want to eat more the day after. If Sunday gets ugly, I'll make it a MD and have a DD on Monday.

On March 8th I leave for a 2 week trip to Florida to visit my folks. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I think I'll decide if I have any DDs or MDs as I get nearer the date. While I'm not in a rush to lose weight, I do hope I manage to drop another lb or two before then.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I'm fortunate in not having to work with a history of a dysfunctional relationship with food. I do know that living within JUDDD (and the adaptations for migraine control) has completely changed my appetite and attitude to some foods.

Beeb made a very helpful comment once about being tempted by chocolate cake (insert doughnuts or your own preferences etc.): "I know what that tastes like, I don't need to taste it again".

Thing is, by and large, a lot of food items are not worth the kcals they cost - and we've had a fair amount of discussion about that on this board If it was a St John's Yard, fresh plum doughnut with perfect confectioner's cream - absolutely, worth every kcal not just for the enjoyment of eating it but the sense of delight and the memory it creates. Your DH's fresh scones and wild raspberry jam? Draw up a chair and lay a place for me, please. A Lidl doughnut? Not so much. Not on a JUDDD UD or DD tho' YMMV.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:48 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
A Lidl doughnut? Not so much. Not on a JUDDD UD or DD tho' YMMV.
To be fair, when you haven't had a doughnut in over a year, anything looks tempting. And, I had no idea how good or bad they might be. They smelled good, and my MIL raves about the bread she gets there, so I thought they might be nice.

So, curiosity satisfied. I won't be tempted again.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I find that at the start of a spell of freedom I want to eat everything that’s been forbidden, but as you found, it’s often not as magical as I remembered, and when it’s not forbidden, I soon settle down to just having those things once in a while.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote