Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DrwhoTardisRose
Stats: Start/168/current/133/goal/120
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 1, 2014
DD with protein only or fats only?

I was reading this blog where this girl talked about doing DD where it's only protein or only fats. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and what your results were?
DrwhoTardisRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
It's very individual. There are some here who do mainly fats, some who do mainly proteins, some who do mainly carbohydrates or bulky vegetables, and yet others who do any number of combinations thereof.

I've tried all of them. What works for me is a combination of bulk (veggies) and protein. If I eat fat, I get hungry. Others are very satisfied with just fat. Others eat nothing at all.

I know that's no help, but it really is something you have to experiment with to find out what keeps YOU satisfied.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #3

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I've tried it both ways, and usually have really nice whooshy losses as a result. Trouble is, I can't do them all the time or I get bored and frustrated on DDs. But if I do a couple of egg days, or coffee w/HWC days, or I've even had bacon days, I usually have a nice loss. Come to think of it, it may be time to do a couple of those!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:37 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I've tried it both ways, and usually have really nice whooshy losses as a result. Trouble is, I can't do them all the time or I get bored and frustrated on DDs. But if I do a couple of egg days, or coffee w/HWC days, or I've even had bacon days, I usually have a nice loss. Come to think of it, it may be time to do a couple of those!
Hmmm. I think I know what I'm doing for tomorrow's DD! Egg day!
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Sometimes I did a "1/2 fat fast" day (for 500 calories). It never changed my weight-low rate...but it was fun and felt good.

Hmm, I never did an all protein DD. Nothing wrong with the idea...I guess I prefer fat and carbs.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:25 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
I agree with the others. It always comes down to personal experimentation and what suits your lifestyle - your needs might even vary from one DD to another depending on your activity levels. Eg, I prefer not to eat above 10g carbs on a DD because I need the protein/fat for my migraine control - but, at this time of year, because of the hypothermia protocols when kayaking, sometimes, I just have to eat some and adapt around that to compensate for the carbs.

It's all about finding what works for you. Have you tried out the shirataki noodles from your local Chinese supermarkets (aka konnyaku/glucomannan noodles)? They provide decent chew and bulk for <5kcals - they work well in broth or other soups. I also like the home-made pasta dough noodles recipe on the recipe board. (It doesn't require a Kitchen Aid - people are getting good results with hand mixing and a standard mincer/cutter such as the NorPro - as you'll discover when reading the thread.)

Depending on which tweak people adopt, it's consistently <25kcals <1-2 effective carbs per serving and ideal for a DD snack.

Dec 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Before I did JUDDD, I was doing ProteinPower. I always eat low carb, and I am concerned about getting sufficient protein to insure that I lose fat rather than lean body (muscle).

I consulted Dr. Eades via his blog about the low-calorie DDs (safety from a nutritional perspectives), and he advised me to eat mainly high-quality protein.

I did all my DDs mainly on egg whites, fish, or chicken. No fat because that just adds calories IMO, and I could barely get in enough protein on my 400 cal.

It worked great for me, and I still do mainly protein on low-calorie days (I cycle now but not EOD).
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Before I did JUDDD, I was doing ProteinPower. I always eat low carb, and I am concerned about getting sufficient protein to insure that I lose fat rather than lean body (muscle).

I consulted Dr. Eades via his blog about the low-calorie DDs (safety from a nutritional perspectives), and he advised me to eat mainly high-quality protein.

I did all my DDs mainly on egg whites, fish, or chicken. No fat because that just adds calories IMO, and I could barely get in enough protein on my 400 cal.

It worked great for me, and I still do mainly protein on low-calorie days (I cycle now but not EOD).
How was your hunger level with that amount of protein? I've read that it helps, but I've never tried high-protein low-fat
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:

I'm glad to see you post that, Leo. There has been some discussion about what the doctor meant when he told you to eat mostly protein. Did he mean as much as you wanted, or within your DD calories? Seems like you answered that because you limited it to 400 cals.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
Senior LCF member

CarolinaCoast-
It's protein that is satiating for me, so I had few problems with hunger on DDs eating protein.

LibraryGirl-
I'd made it clear to Dr. Eades that my calorie limit was 400 on DDs, and he advised me to focus on protein for those calories. I never exceeded my DD calorie limits in the 2 years I was doing JUDDD, and I think it was eating protein that helped me.

Also keep in mind that my UDs were not significantly different because I always eat very low carb. I could allow myself more food on UDs, but I never went above 20g of carbs and was often closer to 10g. That's how I eat now in maintenance.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
That's awesome, Leo, and I admire your resolve.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Thanks Leo, I'm going to experiment with that on my next DD.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thx for all the awesome advice!! I did have an all protein DD in the form of 3 chicken thighs without the skin and I was still hungry I know I probably did not get enough to eat but, I was feeling under the weather and wasn't feeling much like eating anyway. I did have a 3 lb loss after so I guess it does work...lol I have tried the shirataki noodles and I just can't stomach them...they are so gross....not sure what I'm doing wrong...I rinse them really, really well and put them in broth and sauces and they never seem to absorb the taste of anything. I have just decided that if I want pasta I will have the real thing on an UD
Old 02-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Which time?
Fats for me. Protein doesn't satisfy me and carbs just make me hungry.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #15

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
It's funny how we're all so different. Fats make me ravenous. I haven't tried BPC because when I already know it'll make me more hungry than just black coffee.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #16
Senior LCF member

Fats make me ravenous, too. That's why I've never been successful with the 'fat fast' even though I'm so metabolically resistant. I starve!

Vanilla-Fat is so caloric that if I ate fats on a DD, I'd hardly get anything to eat at all. Of course, if you get extreme satisfaction from fat, that might not matter, but there's no food in the world that's so satisfying for me that I could eat such a tiny bit and not be hungry.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
It's funny how we're all so different. Fats make me ravenous. I haven't tried BPC because when I already know it'll make me more hungry than just black coffee.
On a DD, I cut the regular amounts of a full on BPC down to 1 tsp. each and although it tides me over a bit, it's nothing to compared on the 1 T each on an UD. It takes me through all morning!

Quote:
Fats make me ravenous, too. That's why I've never been successful with the 'fat fast' even though I'm so metabolically resistant. I starve!

Vanilla-Fat is so caloric that if I ate fats on a DD, I'd hardly get anything to eat at all. Of course, if you get extreme satisfaction from fat, that might not matter, but there's no food in the world that's so satisfying for me that I could eat such a tiny bit and not be hungry.
I'd rather not even eat on a DD. I'm considering doing 2-3 full on BPC's a day as eating just opens the door for wanting more food. Since a full BPC keeps me going for a few hours, having three a day might just get me through the day more sated than eating the little bit I am. I'm happier sipping my way through a DD than eating.

Yep, it is curious to see how different we all are.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Vanilla- do you order the Bullet coffee or use any brand? I don't do well with caffeine can I do the BPC with decaf?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrwhoTardisRose View Post
Vanilla- do you order the Bullet coffee or use any brand? I don't do well with caffeine can I do the BPC with decaf?
Oh, heck no, I buy K-Cups for my Keurig or grind up coffee beans bought from the grocery store. I don't see why you couldn't do it with decaf coffee as it's the fats that's the key here (if fat keeps you happy), not the vehicle. There are many people who do a BPC with hot tea instead of coffee. I think some add it to a smoothie or egg cream if coffee or tea isn't their thing.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/125/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
regarding the shirataki noodles

I'm not a huge fan of the Shirataki noodles although I've certainly eaten my share of them over the years. But I use the Miracle Rice constantly to add bulk to my food (and keep my system moving, if you know what I mean.) I especially like it added to greek yogurt. I eat that combination pretty much every down day.

The way to get rid of the smell is to rinse them once in the colander then drizzle lemon juice on them and rinse again. The smell completely disappears.
Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Thx Vanilla!