Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 01:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
WOE: JUDDD
Hopeful

In the interest of not thread-jacking somewhere else....

I had a successful DD yesterday of 421!
Today is my first UD. While part of me is thinking whooo! eat!! I'm trying to be sensible.
I'm sticking to the foods I usually eat for LCHF, but now I'm relaxing on a few things: I will not kill myself if I eat "too much protein" because tomorrow is a DD, and protein keeps me feeling good.

Whats weird is that I have foods for my DD in the fridge. Sometimes these can be triggers for a binge (anyone eaten 6 baby bels in one sitting? I have!), but I see these and think "I'm gonna need those for DD."

I'm going to the gym tonight, so I'm looking forward to that. And it's nice to know when I get home I can partake in a wee bit of dark chocolate with the DH. And maybe half a grapefruit if I feel like it!
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2014, 03:59 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Sounds like you are up and running twerp, quite a lot of UK JUDDD BUDDDs here these days.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
GREAT mind-set kwerp!

Congratulations on triumphing over those insidious Baby Bels! Chocolate with your DH is a fitting reward.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Kissa - I'm actually an American ex-pat, but embracing UK life. What's kinda frustrating about these forums is that they tend to focus on US-available foods, and I remember having access to certain things. Ex: Egg beaters are a way of life in the US - kinda hard to find over here (at least in Scotland).

Nancy - Thanks! I'm cautiously optimistic. I've yet to get through my first DD at work, but we'll see how tomorrow goes!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerp View Post
Kissa - I'm actually an American ex-pat, but embracing UK life....Ex: Egg beaters are a way of life in the US - kinda hard to find over here (at least in Scotland).
Ah, that's confirmed my internal speculations (that you are a US ex-pat in the UK and I'd even wondered if it was Scotland).

Is the lovely avi photo' from the US seas/marinas rather than the chillier-looking seals/porpoises of northernmost or the isles of Scotland?

No, it's tricky to get eggbeaters and such in Scotland (and the UK) but...you are in prime position for the seasonal glories of Golden Wonder, Kerr's Pink, Isle of Jura (potatoes) and the fabulous succession of Scotland's raspberries. If you could get your mother or someone to send you freezer pectin, you could keep yourself in exquisite soft fruit preserves year round.

ETA: the gluconeogenesis part of NK is remarkably odd, isn't it. I'm not at all confident that there's a decent understanding of that and why it seems to knock people out of ketosis (give the delays between eating, digesting, having amino acids and FFA available in the bloodstream etc.).

Dec 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-17-2014 at 06:22 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Ah, that's confirmed my internal speculations (that you are a US ex-pat in the UK and I'd even wondered if it was Scotland).

Is the lovely avi photo' from the US seas/marinas rather than the chillier-looking seals/porpoises of northernmost or the isles of Scotland?

No, it's tricky to get eggbeaters and such in Scotland (and the UK) but...you are in prime position for the seasonal glories of Golden Wonder, Kerr's Pink, Isle of Jura (potatoes) and the fabulous succession of Scotland's raspberries. If you could get your mother or someone to send you freezer pectin, you could keep yourself in exquisite soft fruit preserves year round.

ETA: the gluconeogenesis part of NK is remarkably odd, isn't it. I'm not at all confident that there's a decent understanding of that and why it seems to knock people out of ketosis (give the delays between eating, digesting, having amino acids and FFA available in the bloodstream etc.).
Hmm, is it that obvious?
The DH is Scottish.
And yes, the DH absolutely loves to make wild raspberry jam (another reason for getting with JUDDD - so I don't have to swear it off for life!). And he loves making apple chutney in the autumn (our cupboards are FULL of it!). Though part of the reason I'm trying to lose weight is that we make too much good food. Homemade scones with raspberry jam = 18 lbs I've been battling with for a while now.

Sadly my whole name/ avatar is kinda a joke. I took "derp" and added my initials = kwerp! If you google "derp" images, this little guy shows up. I thought he looked happy for an avatar.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post

I agree. NK is really interesting, but as for practical living...it's kinda a nightmare. I was fine for the 2 weeks I was just working/gym/sleep - but for me it got to be a crazy balancing act - not too many carbs, but not too many grams of protein: what's left? Fat bombs really aren't appealing after a while.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
I agree. NK is really interesting, but as for practical living...it's kinda a nightmare. I was fine for the 2 weeks I was just working/gym/sleep - but for me it got to be a crazy balancing act - not too many carbs, but not too many grams of protein: what's left? Fat bombs really aren't appealing after a while.
Yes, trying to watch protein intake is difficult!

NK became overwhelming for me also this past Fall. I successfully maintained NK for a few months last spring, and dropped 10lbs or more, felt very healthy and happy, but fell off the band wagon in the summer. When I tried again this fall, it was much more difficult and I didn't lose like I did the first time. I am trying juddd without restricting protein or carbs. Hopefully I can lose this way, but if not, I will switch to low carb JUDDD, like you Kwerp.

Welcome to Juddd!!
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Nancy - Thanks! I'm cautiously optimistic. I've yet to get through my first DD at work, but we'll see how tomorrow goes!
I prefer DDs at work. I'm so busy that I have no time to think about food.

JUDDD is amazingly flexible and forgiving. It sounds like you are off to a great start!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Yes, trying to watch protein intake is difficult!

NK became overwhelming for me also this past Fall. I successfully maintained NK for a few months last spring, and dropped 10lbs or more, felt very healthy and happy, but fell off the band wagon in the summer. When I tried again this fall, it was much more difficult and I didn't lose like I did the first time. I am trying juddd without restricting protein or carbs. Hopefully I can lose this way, but if not, I will switch to low carb JUDDD, like you Kwerp.

Welcome to Juddd!!
Thanks Green!
I'm going to try to do lower carb JUDDD, but I know I'm going to have some higher carb UDs coming up. I'm going on vacation in 3 weeks - at this point, I'm not hoping for any drastic weight loss. I've lost a bit since Christmas that I'm proud of, so I'm hoping to stabilize my body here for a while.

Nor do I expect to keep it all perfectly together for the 2 weeks I'm away, but I'm hoping to have a fighting chance if I can get some MDs in while vacationing.

Once I get back (mid-March) it's gonna be ON to get to my goal weight.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I prefer DDs at work. I'm so busy that I have no time to think about food.

JUDDD is amazingly flexible and forgiving. It sounds like you are off to a great start!
I'm nervous, but at least my boss is away this week, so if I get really foggy-headed it won't be noticed.
I've already got my day planned out and entered into my tracker. I will have a busy day tomorrow, so that should help.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joannew
Stats: 149/145.8/135 (5'5', 61 yy)
WOE: 800 cals.
Start Date: 12/11/14
WTG Kwerp! Enjoy your UD!
Joannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #13

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Great first DD, kwerp! You'll do fine with UDs. Just remember you don't have to be perfect, especially at first. It's an adjustment period.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Joannew: I definitely enjoyed my UD!
Thanks Carol! Good thing about now having to be perfect. Today has ended at 1893, a bit over. We'll see how tomorrow goes!

Last edited by kwerp; 02-17-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Old 02-18-2014, 01:59 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Okies... Feeling hopeful for my first working DD. Here's what I got planned:
B: coffee, splenda, 6 grams coconut oil - 49 cals
L: lentil & bacon soup-in-a-mug, cucumber and red pepper slices - 116 cals
D: 1 baby bel, one 11g bag of popcorn, 80g zucchini with 3 dairy lea light wedges on top - 231

Total = 396 for the day.
After work I would like to go to the gym. I realize I might feel drained, but surely I could just walk at 3mph for 40 min, right? That isn't taxing....
Old 02-18-2014, 02:21 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Looks like a good plan for a DD No, I wouldn't foresee any difficulties with a moderate walk at the gym.

As you're new to this and getting the rotations down - you do have an additional 100kcals wiggle room, should you need it.

Good luck!
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:41 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Thanks SlowSure. Surprisingly I don't feel like I'm going to fall over. We'll see how this evening goes.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
Quote:
In the interest of not thread-jacking somewhere else....

(anyone eaten 6 baby bels in one sitting? I have!), but I see these and think "I'm gonna need those for DD."
Perhaps it was because of your avatar but I read this as "anyone eaten 6 baby SEALS in one sitting! I have!"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Ha!

Ugh. I've had all my cals today. I sure could eat.
Cannot wait for tomorrow morning.

But I will.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Ha!

Ugh. I've had all my cals today. I sure could eat.
Cannot wait for tomorrow morning.

But I will.
Good job!!
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #21

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
You can do it, kwerp! Just keep thinking.....tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow.....
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Carol! It became my mantra last night.
I think I'm gonna have to save all my cals for the evening. I was like a bear with a sore head, and the poor DH had to avoid me all night.
Tomorrow will go better..
Old 02-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BroadwayBaby
Stats: 265/224/165
WOE: Lost 35 on WW/-6 on JUDDD...so far
Start Date: 1/18/2014-JUDDD
Quote:
Homemade scones with raspberry jam
::::::::::::ROOLING:::::::::::::