Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Hopeful (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/822816-hopeful.html)

kwerp 02-17-2014 01:55 AM

Hopeful

In the interest of not thread-jacking somewhere else....

I had a successful DD yesterday of 421!
Today is my first UD. While part of me is thinking whooo! eat!! I'm trying to be sensible.
I'm sticking to the foods I usually eat for LCHF, but now I'm relaxing on a few things: I will not kill myself if I eat "too much protein" because tomorrow is a DD, and protein keeps me feeling good.

Whats weird is that I have foods for my DD in the fridge. Sometimes these can be triggers for a binge (anyone eaten 6 baby bels in one sitting? I have!), but I see these and think "I'm gonna need those for DD."

I'm going to the gym tonight, so I'm looking forward to that. And it's nice to know when I get home I can partake in a wee bit of dark chocolate with the DH. :) And maybe half a grapefruit if I feel like it!:D

Kissa 02-17-2014 03:59 AM

Sounds like you are up and running twerp, quite a lot of UK JUDDD BUDDDs here these days.

gotsomeold 02-17-2014 04:27 AM

GREAT mind-set kwerp!

Congratulations on triumphing over those insidious Baby Bels! Chocolate with your DH is a fitting reward.

kwerp 02-17-2014 05:32 AM

Kissa - I'm actually an American ex-pat, but embracing UK life. What's kinda frustrating about these forums is that they tend to focus on US-available foods, and I remember having access to certain things. Ex: Egg beaters are a way of life in the US - kinda hard to find over here (at least in Scotland).

Nancy - Thanks! I'm cautiously optimistic. I've yet to get through my first DD at work, but we'll see how tomorrow goes!

SlowSure 02-17-2014 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwerp (Post 16802941)
Kissa - I'm actually an American ex-pat, but embracing UK life....Ex: Egg beaters are a way of life in the US - kinda hard to find over here (at least in Scotland).

Ah, that's confirmed my internal speculations (that you are a US ex-pat in the UK and I'd even wondered if it was Scotland).

Is the lovely avi photo' from the US seas/marinas rather than the chillier-looking seals/porpoises of northernmost or the isles of Scotland?

No, it's tricky to get eggbeaters and such in Scotland (and the UK) but...you are in prime position for the seasonal glories of Golden Wonder, Kerr's Pink, Isle of Jura (potatoes) and the fabulous succession of Scotland's raspberries. If you could get your mother or someone to send you freezer pectin, you could keep yourself in exquisite soft fruit preserves year round. :)

ETA: the gluconeogenesis part of NK is remarkably odd, isn't it. I'm not at all confident that there's a decent understanding of that and why it seems to knock people out of ketosis (give the delays between eating, digesting, having amino acids and FFA available in the bloodstream etc.).

kwerp 02-17-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16802991)
Ah, that's confirmed my internal speculations (that you are a US ex-pat in the UK and I'd even wondered if it was Scotland).

Is the lovely avi photo' from the US seas/marinas rather than the chillier-looking seals/porpoises of northernmost or the isles of Scotland?

No, it's tricky to get eggbeaters and such in Scotland (and the UK) but...you are in prime position for the seasonal glories of Golden Wonder, Kerr's Pink, Isle of Jura (potatoes) and the fabulous succession of Scotland's raspberries. If you could get your mother or someone to send you freezer pectin, you could keep yourself in exquisite soft fruit preserves year round. :)

ETA: the gluconeogenesis part of NK is remarkably odd, isn't it. I'm not at all confident that there's a decent understanding of that and why it seems to knock people out of ketosis (give the delays between eating, digesting, having amino acids and FFA available in the bloodstream etc.).

Hmm, is it that obvious? :D
The DH is Scottish. :love:
And yes, the DH absolutely loves to make wild raspberry jam (another reason for getting with JUDDD - so I don't have to swear it off for life!). And he loves making apple chutney in the autumn (our cupboards are FULL of it!). Though part of the reason I'm trying to lose weight is that we make too much good food. Homemade scones with raspberry jam = 18 lbs I've been battling with for a while now. :sad:

Sadly my whole name/ avatar is kinda a joke. I took "derp" and added my initials = kwerp! If you google "derp" images, this little guy shows up. I thought he looked happy for an avatar. :D

kwerp 02-17-2014 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16802991)

I agree. NK is really interesting, but as for practical living...it's kinda a nightmare. I was fine for the 2 weeks I was just working/gym/sleep - but for me it got to be a crazy balancing act - not too many carbs, but not too many grams of protein: what's left? Fat bombs really aren't appealing after a while.

Green 02-17-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwerp (Post 16803016)
I agree. NK is really interesting, but as for practical living...it's kinda a nightmare. I was fine for the 2 weeks I was just working/gym/sleep - but for me it got to be a crazy balancing act - not too many carbs, but not too many grams of protein: what's left? Fat bombs really aren't appealing after a while.

Yes, trying to watch protein intake is difficult!

NK became overwhelming for me also this past Fall. I successfully maintained NK for a few months last spring, and dropped 10lbs or more, felt very healthy and happy, but fell off the band wagon in the summer. When I tried again this fall, it was much more difficult and I didn't lose like I did the first time. I am trying juddd without restricting protein or carbs. Hopefully I can lose this way, but if not, I will switch to low carb JUDDD, like you Kwerp.

Welcome to Juddd!!

Carly 02-17-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwerp (Post 16802941)
Nancy - Thanks! I'm cautiously optimistic. I've yet to get through my first DD at work, but we'll see how tomorrow goes!

I prefer DDs at work. I'm so busy that I have no time to think about food.

JUDDD is amazingly flexible and forgiving. It sounds like you are off to a great start!

kwerp 02-17-2014 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green (Post 16803029)
Yes, trying to watch protein intake is difficult!

NK became overwhelming for me also this past Fall. I successfully maintained NK for a few months last spring, and dropped 10lbs or more, felt very healthy and happy, but fell off the band wagon in the summer. When I tried again this fall, it was much more difficult and I didn't lose like I did the first time. I am trying juddd without restricting protein or carbs. Hopefully I can lose this way, but if not, I will switch to low carb JUDDD, like you Kwerp.

Welcome to Juddd!!

Thanks Green! :)
I'm going to try to do lower carb JUDDD, but I know I'm going to have some higher carb UDs coming up. I'm going on vacation in 3 weeks - at this point, I'm not hoping for any drastic weight loss. I've lost a bit since Christmas that I'm proud of, so I'm hoping to stabilize my body here for a while.

Nor do I expect to keep it all perfectly together for the 2 weeks I'm away, but I'm hoping to have a fighting chance if I can get some MDs in while vacationing.

Once I get back (mid-March) it's gonna be ON to get to my goal weight. :D

kwerp 02-17-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16803036)
I prefer DDs at work. I'm so busy that I have no time to think about food.

JUDDD is amazingly flexible and forgiving. It sounds like you are off to a great start!

I'm nervous, but at least my boss is away this week, so if I get really foggy-headed it won't be noticed. :hyst:
I've already got my day planned out and entered into my tracker. I will have a busy day tomorrow, so that should help.

Joannew 02-17-2014 07:20 AM

WTG Kwerp! Enjoy your UD! :)

LoCarbGal 02-17-2014 10:36 AM

Great first DD, kwerp! You'll do fine with UDs. Just remember you don't have to be perfect, especially at first. It's an adjustment period.

kwerp 02-17-2014 12:52 PM

Joannew: I definitely enjoyed my UD!
Thanks Carol! Good thing about now having to be perfect. Today has ended at 1893, a bit over. :D We'll see how tomorrow goes!

kwerp 02-18-2014 01:59 AM

Okies... Feeling hopeful for my first working DD. Here's what I got planned:
B: coffee, splenda, 6 grams coconut oil - 49 cals
L: lentil & bacon soup-in-a-mug, cucumber and red pepper slices - 116 cals
D: 1 baby bel, one 11g bag of popcorn, 80g zucchini with 3 dairy lea light wedges on top - 231

Total = 396 for the day.
After work I would like to go to the gym. I realize I might feel drained, but surely I could just walk at 3mph for 40 min, right? That isn't taxing....

SlowSure 02-18-2014 02:21 AM

Looks like a good plan for a DD :) No, I wouldn't foresee any difficulties with a moderate walk at the gym.

As you're new to this and getting the rotations down - you do have an additional 100kcals wiggle room, should you need it.

Good luck!

kwerp 02-18-2014 04:41 AM

Thanks SlowSure. Surprisingly I don't feel like I'm going to fall over. We'll see how this evening goes. :)

Becky 02-18-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwerp (Post 16802854)
In the interest of not thread-jacking somewhere else....

(anyone eaten 6 baby bels in one sitting? I have!), but I see these and think "I'm gonna need those for DD." :D

Perhaps it was because of your avatar but I read this as "anyone eaten 6 baby SEALS in one sitting! I have!" :hyst::laugh:

kwerp 02-18-2014 11:41 AM

Ha! :laugh:

Ugh. I've had all my cals today. I sure could eat.
Cannot wait for tomorrow morning.

But I will. :(

Green 02-18-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwerp (Post 16804749)
Ha! :laugh:

Ugh. I've had all my cals today. I sure could eat.
Cannot wait for tomorrow morning.

But I will. :(

Good job!!

LoCarbGal 02-18-2014 12:46 PM

You can do it, kwerp! Just keep thinking.....tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow.....

kwerp 02-19-2014 03:34 AM

Thanks Carol! It became my mantra last night. :)
I think I'm gonna have to save all my cals for the evening. I was like a bear with a sore head, and the poor DH had to avoid me all night. :sad:
Tomorrow will go better..

BroadwayBaby 02-20-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwerp (Post 16802998)
Homemade scones with raspberry jam

:::::::::::::DROOLING:::::::::::::

Oh just the thought! ;)