Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Foods to break fast... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/822760-foods-break-fast.html)

elisheva 02-15-2014 05:04 PM

Foods to break fast...

So obviously, any kind of fat cannot be consumed by me on an empty stomach. I don't know why I didn't connect it, but I don't have a gallbladder, so probably why.

What do you break your fast with? I had a small bowl of Strawberry Special K with rice milk and still had intestinal distress. I don't know if more frequent meals is necessary for my gut.

ravenrose 02-15-2014 06:14 PM

I am not a JUDDD person, but I haven't had a gall bladder for 20+ years and have never noticed an issue with fat first thing... that may or may not be what causes your problem.

Dottie 02-15-2014 06:18 PM

Up Days or Down Days?
On Up days, whatever breakfast you like (remember: there are no "off limit" foods on juddd).

On Down Days, most of us prefer to wait until later in the day to eat anything, but I sometimes prefer a cup of chicken broth with 1T heavy cream if I feel hungry in the mornings :) Of course you can have whatever you like as long as you can keep your calories overall low for the day :)

Scarlett46 02-15-2014 06:54 PM

I don't have any knowledge whatsoever on gall bladder issues... But I tend to have the best success when the first thing I eat is (or includes) protein. Most frequently for me, it is a HB egg & black forest ham on UDs or Greek yogurt on DDs.

Cereal makes me HUNGRY!!! And my DH too... Although it also gives him the shakes within a few hours if it's in the morning. He usually saves cereal for a nighttime snack.

elisheva 02-15-2014 07:02 PM

I think I will keep with HB eggs when I break fast on DD and see how that goes. It happened to me recently after having black coffee with coconut oil. I have had many a coffee on an empty stomach with no intestinal distress, but after that coffee with coconut oil, I did.

Yennie 02-15-2014 08:56 PM

I don't have distress with using fats to break my fast. I tend to use HWC to "break" the fast because it keeps me fuller longer and physiologically prolongs the fast.
I would suggest fat or protein to break fasts, so if you're struggling with fats, then straight protein! Sounds like the HG eggs will work well for you. Good luck, I hope you figure this out, its sounds quite distressful.

Librarygirl 02-16-2014 07:50 AM

I have read that people without gall bladders have trouble digesting fat. I guess the cereal might have had too much sugar...it would probably be helpful to google the answer or possibly find a forum for people without gall bladders. You might even start a thread in the main LC lobby (not just JUDDD) with the title "Suggestions for breakfast for people without gall bladders" or something along those lines. Good luck, and check back with us about what you've learned. :)

FrostyBeav 02-16-2014 09:55 AM

I almost always break my fast with plain nonfat Greek yogurt, some baby carrots and a piece of fruit, usually an orange.

tangolover 02-16-2014 01:35 PM

When I was attempting the paleo diet I got used to salads for breakfast as a way of using up leftovers. I found a good low-fat salad to be torn/shredded turkey on a bed of greens, some slithered onions and a little mayo, salt and black pepper. If you want almost zero fat, skip the mayo and drizzle some dill-pickle juice or vinegar to dress the salad.

Carly 02-16-2014 02:40 PM

I'm with Frosty- usually break my fast with Greek yogurt sometimes FF, but sometimes low fat.

Eieio 02-17-2014 07:12 AM

Since I started fasting throughout each day, eating in evening time. I found out real fast, if I eat something big, like stupid biscuits and Gravy I had a big stomach ache. So I now eat lite before I eat a real meal. A small banana, or raisins with a few almonds. Not much food at a time. Then I can turn on the food shoot on later without stomach difficulty.
I'm not into yogurt much any longer but that would of worked fine for me as well.
Good luck