Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!
 
Yennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,597
Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Ladies - must read. Excellent blog on calories, exercise with fab visuals!

Okay guys, I guess you can read it as well, but the post is specifically geared towards women and the 1200 calorie lie, as well as the cardio, cardio, cardio myth!

No mention of IF at all, but talks about fitness, strength training and there are some lovely photos of women who GET SLIMMER as they GET HEAVIER. Why? Because they're building MUSCLE! And, be still my heart, the author refers to muscle as denser than fat, not heavier!!!

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it so search sophieologie 1200 calories to find the article. Even though it doesn't pertain to IF, it does pertain to women, the messages we're sent and fitness/weight loss/fat loss. Including commentary on the ridiculousness of the "miracle exercises" promoted in the fitness magazines totally ignoring the reality of the work the demonstrating model does to achieve her look. Much like I wrote about in my journal referring to my sister (the fitness model) and how much work she puts in at the gym. It sure ain't the "ten minutes to flat abs" the magazines claim it is!

Anyway, its worth taking the time to find and read, then we can discuss!!
__________________

*****************************************
My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
Madmarsha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,348
Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Okay guys, I guess you can read it as well, but the post is specifically geared towards women and the 1200 calorie lie, as well as the cardio, cardio, cardio myth!

No mention of IF at all, but talks about fitness, strength training and there are some lovely photos of women who GET SLIMMER as they GET HEAVIER. Why? Because they're building MUSCLE! And, be still my heart, the author refers to muscle as denser than fat, not heavier!!!

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it so search sophieologie 1200 calories to find the article. Even though it doesn't pertain to IF, it does pertain to women, the messages we're sent and fitness/weight loss/fat loss. Including commentary on the ridiculousness of the "miracle exercises" promoted in the fitness magazines totally ignoring the reality of the work the demonstrating model does to achieve her look. Much like I wrote about in my journal referring to my sister (the fitness model) and how much work she puts in at the gym. It sure ain't the "ten minutes to flat abs" the magazines claim it is!
That is an excellent article. While 10 minutes to flat abs is ridic, so is the idea that killing yourself with 90 minutes of cardio is necessary and desirable. It's also for me unsustainable. Completely boring. A 5K time is much less than 90 minutes. I can do a run/walk 5K in an hour and I really have no use or desire to go further than 3 miles.

I am really more interested now in doing strength training. I had to go through 3 different women working at my gym to give me some instruction on free weights. They knew the weight machines all right; but when I asked about dead lift, they begged off. I mean, if they didn't feel comfortable advising me about form, I'm glad they did but it was disappointing. Obviously not a lot of women are asking for that kind of help. I have only seen 1 other girl a lot younger than me on THAT side of the gym (it's not that big or fancy, to be fair); but I wish and FEEL that there should be more.

Loved the Special K section. That drives me crazy, too. Cereal as "diet" food. Bah. But women believe it. And don't get me started on diet soda. I know there are people here who can't part with it, but it's another one of those Big Food marketing things that are maddening.

I can't wait till I'm a decent size eating the way I do which is not being afraid of calories and fat and MEAT.

I also like the blog post about how the gym is to women what lingerie stores are to men. At first I didn't get it (I thought it was going in a different direction), but I think it's exactly right if you think about how uncomfortable men must be buying lingerie as a present.
__________________
It is better to feel I look good, and I feel I look mahvelous, dahling.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,848
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Thank you Yennie. I read the article and agree with most of what was said. I clicked the link to the "guide to the weight room" and have saved it to read over later. I know at this point it's all going to come down to gaining muscle for me, but I'm so intimidated by free weights. It's also really scary to need to eat at a surplus to gain muscle. It's funny how "low calorie" is really, really ingrained into our female psyches.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
SlowSure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London/Herts UK
Posts: 3,877
Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
It's funny how "low calorie" is really, really ingrained into our female psyches.
I swear it's the modern equivalent of the corset. Just as debilitating and limiting and as likely to warp women's shapes and damage our health.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,167
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
It is very interesting, but not only does she suggest not going below 1200 (which we all do if we JUDDD successfully), but also not skipping meals, AND not ever being "hungry". So it's not surprising that she doesn't mention IF. Obviously, the message that overdoing cardio is not helpful to weight loss is a good one, and of course that building muscle is *the* most effective way to build a better body. However, regardless of the fact that we eat over our caloric needs one day and 20% of it the next, we are perpetually in a deficit, calorie wise. So, what's right? That we should eat every day, not skip meals, and definitely eat more than 1200 calories a day--plus work out with weights, OR combine IF with those same suggestions for exercise and ignore the consequences of very low calorie diets? I really don't know the answer.
__________________


"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."


"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
Yennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,597
Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
It is very interesting, but not only does she suggest not going below 1200 (which we all do if we JUDDD successfully), but also not skipping meals, AND not ever being "hungry". So it's not surprising that she doesn't mention IF. Obviously, the message that overdoing cardio is not helpful to weight loss is a good one, and of course that building muscle is *the* most effective way to build a better body. However, regardless of the fact that we eat over our caloric needs one day and 20% of it the next, we are perpetually in a deficit, calorie wise. So, what's right? That we should eat every day, not skip meals, and definitely eat more than 1200 calories a day--plus work out with weights, OR combine IF with those same suggestions for exercise and ignore the consequences of very low calorie diets? I really don't know the answer.
I don't think her advice about eating to specific calorie levels and not skipping meals applies to IF. The meal skipping she referred to was more along the lines of "I've reached my limit - should I skip dinner" from the teenagers. I think, because our fasting and meal skipping, with IF, is controlled and planned, not in a desperate, misguided attempt to "starve ourselves thin" but done with deliberate planning, it doesn't really apply. Her point of eating more calories to actually be successful applies to JUDDD/IF as well. How many times have we suggested someone might be stalled because they're eating too few calories. So, yes, while she's not addressing IF specifically, I think you can take the concepts and apply them to our plans.

And, mostly its the muscle and exercise.

Dawn - I know I've been harping on this program but I love, love, LOVE my ChaLEAN Extreme as a weight program. She does the heavy weights, lower reps, super slow, lift to fatigue program. But even with that concept, I would not have known what to do without her videos. I started them at home with resistance bands but now take the guidebook (which outlines all the exercises for each step of the program) to the gym and do the workouts with free weights. I was NOT a gym rat and didn't really lift before this program. When I did "lift" before, it was always on machines and I subscribed to the "low weight, high rep" program. I didn't know better. Now I do.She walks you through proper form and highlights most common mistakes, etc. I never thought I could do lunges or squats before, until her videos. First time those 2 moves didn't KILL my knees - cuz I was doing them wrong! I'm not lying when I say I started to see results after my 3rd workout. And she's not annoying like most workout video chicks. <I swear I get no commission off the sales of this program, I just love it so much!>

SS - I LOVE the comparison of the low cal/1200 cal to the corset! That is the best analogy I've ever heard!!!!!!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LoCarbGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 10,215
Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I have the feeling this is going to be a very interesting thread, and I've bookmarked the blog to read later. Thanks Jen!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 8,165
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I just spent an hour with a personal trainer at the gym. He was really great. He said on the machines do 3 reps of 8-12 max, as heavy as I can go. He taught me several great routines with resistance tubes and some core work. He taught me a great HIIT routine to use on the treadmill. This was the hour I got for free when I joined the gym last month, but I can get 6 thirty minute sessions for $99, which I think I will spring for.

He felt that it was better not to workout on my fast days, but I'm not sold on that. I may do more cardio than weights however. He said 50% of what I eat should be protein. I'm no where near that I fear.

Off to Google the article.
__________________
<---- Before Carly
JUDDD changed my life. It transformed my health, gave me freedom and restored my confidence.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!
 
Madmarsha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,348
Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
He taught me a great HIIT routine to use on the treadmill
Can you give a little info on this? I have no problem doing HIIT out on the road, but I am not sure how to translate that to the treadmill. It feels, I dunno, clumsy.
Quote:
He felt that it was better not to workout on my fast days, but I'm not sold on that
I'm trying to figure this out also. I lifted the other day on a fast and I was fine. Now today I struggled.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,848
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I don't think her advice about eating to specific calorie levels and not skipping meals applies to IF. The meal skipping she referred to was more along the lines of "I've reached my limit - should I skip dinner" from the teenagers. I think, because our fasting and meal skipping, with IF, is controlled and planned, not in a desperate, misguided attempt to "starve ourselves thin" but done with deliberate planning, it doesn't really apply. Her point of eating more calories to actually be successful applies to JUDDD/IF as well. How many times have we suggested someone might be stalled because they're eating too few calories. So, yes, while she's not addressing IF specifically, I think you can take the concepts and apply them to our plans.

And, mostly its the muscle and exercise.

Dawn - I know I've been harping on this program but I love, love, LOVE my ChaLEAN Extreme as a weight program. She does the heavy weights, lower reps, super slow, lift to fatigue program. But even with that concept, I would not have known what to do without her videos. I started them at home with resistance bands but now take the guidebook (which outlines all the exercises for each step of the program) to the gym and do the workouts with free weights. I was NOT a gym rat and didn't really lift before this program. When I did "lift" before, it was always on machines and I subscribed to the "low weight, high rep" program. I didn't know better. Now I do.She walks you through proper form and highlights most common mistakes, etc. I never thought I could do lunges or squats before, until her videos. First time those 2 moves didn't KILL my knees - cuz I was doing them wrong! I'm not lying when I say I started to see results after my 3rd workout. And she's not annoying like most workout video chicks. <I swear I get no commission off the sales of this program, I just love it so much!>

SS - I LOVE the comparison of the low cal/1200 cal to the corset! That is the best analogy I've ever heard!!!!!!
This is exactly the information I'm looking for about the program. The only other question I have is, "Does she address different forms or modifications for those of us with limitations (like back problems, dislocating shoulders, etc.)?" I'm really a mess!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!
 
Yennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,597
Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
This is exactly the information I'm looking for about the program. The only other question I have is, "Does she address different forms or modifications for those of us with limitations (like back problems, dislocating shoulders, etc.)?" I'm really a mess!
Yes, kind of. In the how-to video where they show you to do each of the moves, she does address some modifications. Additionally, in the actual videos of the workouts, there is Chalene and 4 background people. One of the background ladies is using resistance bands so you can see how she does it. One of the other background ladies is doing the lighter/modified version. The guidebook sometimes still has a different version. Plus you could, in theory, skip or modify further any exercises that don't work for you.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
SlowSure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London/Herts UK
Posts: 3,877
Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I can't purchase Chalean Extreme in the UK but I seem to be able to buy the TurboFire programme. Does anyone have an opinion on the TurboFire or are we eschewing cardio whilst acknowledging that the programme does help people achieve a basic level of fitness?

The other one I seem to be able to purchase (but at truly eye-watering cost) is Shaun T's T25 programme (I know that that has a lot of modifications in it because the reviews mention that one of the 'demonstration group' showing the modifications is post-pregnancy and a trainer from other DVDs and she's showing some much gentler versions).
__________________
Motto: SINS - Simple Is the New Sustainable

Nov 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,167
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Slow Sure, have you tried ebay for CE? I also saw the videos you mention, but have no advice.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 8,165
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
Can you give a little info on this? I have no problem doing HIIT out on the road, but I am not sure how to translate that to the treadmill. It feels, I dunno, clumsy.

I'm trying to figure this out also. I lifted the other day on a fast and I was fine. Now today I struggled.
The HIIT he taught me for the treadmill was- 2 minutes walking at 3 miles per hour 20 seconds jogging 4 miles per hour. Walk again for a minute at 3 mph. Jog 30 seconds 5 miles per hour. Walk 1 minute. Run 45 seconds 5mph. Walk 2 minutes and repeat going up to running for spurts at 6 mph.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,167
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
^^^ That makes me tired to think about. Good job, Carly!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!
 
Madmarsha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,348
Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Gotcha, Carly. Thanks.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
SlowSure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London/Herts UK
Posts: 3,877
Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Slow Sure, have you tried ebay for CE? I also saw the videos you mention, but have no advice.
I tried ebay UK, I just looked on ebay US (so to speak) and there is someone who'll ship it tho' the cost would be $190 for the DVDs (not too sure about the printed guides) and another $20 for the postage and an additional $50 for the import charge. I'd probably need to pay VAT and the handling charge in the UK which would add approx another $90 to the total which starts to sound pretty high unless I absolutely knew it would be OK for me (which is not straightforward to assess). ETA: so, $350 in total which sounds very high to me and rather risky given the no returns of international sales.

There are probably some used ones on the US ebay site but I'd start running into Region 1 v 2 DVD format problems. I should investigate further.

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-16-2014 at 05:05 PM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,167
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Sweet Lord, Slow. I think I would have to give up and try to use youtube before I went that far lol. I don't know why they charge so much--I think we can ship to the UK for a lot less than that!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!
 
Madmarsha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,348
Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Sweet Lord, Slow. I think I would have to give up and try to use youtube before I went that far lol. I don't know why they charge so much--I think we can ship to the UK for a lot less than that!
Me, too. That'd pay for several months of the gym or a nice weight bench with weights.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sorenkkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 4,578
Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Agree with Carol, interesting information here.

One thing I know about myself-- my body LOVES muscle. Left to my own devices at a gym, I'd rather do low reps and higher weight, than the conventional wisdom (for women) of lower weight and muscle exhaustion on many more reps. I'm like, crank it up, 2 reps of X lifts, done.

I also like the analysis of the women's mags (which I don't buy) talking about losing weight, whereas men's talk about gaining power and strength. Interesting.

A while ago, I did the Wii version of EA Sports Active- you wear body monitoring wireless thingies (wrist and leg), and you do intervals of different exercises along with your "trainer" on the system (which you can see on tv)... sometimes you're running on a track, sometimes you're playing tennis, and they include stretch bands for resistance training. You can also use hand weights instead.

I mostly really liked the pictures of people who got "skinnier" as their weight went up.

Anyway-- no big insight on my part, but thanks Jen for posting!
S.
__________________
--Soren
New Blog post: Sweet Potato Souffle and Calamity Story http://justforkit.blogspot.com/2013/...-calamity.html

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.