Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
How can I make this work or can I?

Do any of you have UUADs on a regular basis, as in on the weekend most weekends? The weekdays are typically fairly easy for me to eat VLC but when the weekend comes around it's a different story. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to make either EOD, 4:3, 5:2, or 16:8 work while still allowing myself the flexibility on the weekends, especially Saturday.

When I look over my journal for the past month or so, it would appear that my eating plan has been 5:2 but reversed, in that the 5 is VLCal and the 2 is UUAD, which I'm afraid is going to wreck my metabolism, maybe it won't though

I should mention that every Saturday morning, before the weekend officially begins, I am pretty much at my goal weight and by Monday morning I'm left with a few too many extra pounds that I need to shed again I'd like for my high weight after the weekend to be what my low weight is now (so essentially I suppose dropping 5 lbs would be ideal).

Any suggestions on how I can change things up to make this work successfully for me?
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Not to be a wet sock, but your body is telling you that what you're doing isn't working.
My only advice is to be a little pickier about what you eat on the weekend UP days and try to get it under better control
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I guess you answered your own question. Your pattern of eating (that you prefer) is not going to give you the results that you desire, unless you drop an additional 5 lbs off your goal weight. I'm not recommending that, only going by what you posted.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macci
First gotta say OMG that little kitten!! So cute!! The 5-2 diet is popular in England I think, made popular by Michael Mosley who did a great tv program about it, and many people have success on it.

I have found that UP days can get out of control for me too, but if I hold off eating until one or two in the afternoon, even on an UP day, then it's easier to contain the eating--just eat what you want in a five to seven hour window. And that is what you want, but not going out of your way to eat a ton on an UP day. Really, we JUDDers dont even need to eat that much jazzy food on an up day because another up day is coming around again day after next -- have the cheesecake this day and the candy bar the next one, that sort of thing.

I sure do sympathize LifeisGood! It can take a little to find your groove, but once you do, it is fantastic. Best of luck finding yours.
Macci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
If I understand what you wrote correctly, you're version of 5:2 is really more like 5 DDs and 2 UDs? Or 5 VLC days and 2 "normal" or UUADs? Are you restricting calories at all, or just doing VLC and then 2 "cheat" days.
If its 5 VLC days with 1-2 "cheat" days then I'd say I'm not surprised you're bouncing those 2-3 pounds. Thats all water weight and replenishing your glycogen stores from the VLC days. If you read the VLC programs, like Stillmans or Dukans, those folks will talk about paying the price for a cheat MEAL (1 meal, not 2 days) for up to 7 days. So, really, you're getting off easy by their standards to be back "on track" by Saturday/Sunday.
If you're cycling calories as well as your VLC (so counting calories in true JUDDD style while staying VLC) then I still think a lot of your weight gain after your cheat days is water and glycogen. But you may also be too low during your week of VLC.
Sorry, but its not really clear what you're going from your original post.
5:2 typically refers to 5 "normal" days and 2 "fasting" days. A person can be LC or VLC within that structure but it wasn't clear to me what part of your plan is fasting.
Anywho...as others have said, obviously your body has said this isn't working for you. Is it possible to stay VLC until you hit your goal? Or is it possible to rein in you weekends? I strongly suspect, based on my own mental pathology, you're white knuckling it through the week to get to the week-end and have your big blow out. Some people might be able to do that, clearly you're not one of them. Might be time to try JUDDD for real without the VLC component OR go full time VLC until you get your UUAD tendencies under control.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:30 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Whatever VLC means (low carb or low cal) ... if you are doing 5 of them in a row it is no wonder you are going overboard on weekends and your body is holding onto everything you give it on weekends.

If VLC means low carb, then I agree with Yennie, you are playing havoc with your glycogen stores and that means you are playing havoc with the water glycogen hangs around in. Which kind of doubles the grab-and-hold that happens on weekends.

If you are going to eat carbs some days, I think it is best to eat some carbs every day.

I suggest trying a M-W-F eat DD calories, and T-Th eat UD (but not UUAD) calories pattern. See if that gives your body enough energy that it does not grab and hold what you give it on weekends.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:20 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
If I'm not mistaken, Lifeisgood is at maintenance. She is trying to stay at her goal weight AND have cheat days on the weekends. Correct me if I'm wrong, LG.

Nancy I need some guidance as well to have occasional treats (non LC) and not go back and forth at the same weight--I'm trying to lose another 35-40 lbs.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Life
I've read and agree.
Question who do you think stays a t their goal wt.- buff very day?
No one it's not living.
I've been Reading a lot this winter.
It works for me to think that if I stay within 5 lbs( dreaming) of my buff weight, if a 58 year old thinks she's buff, she is
To have a time that u can lose a few lbs if needed quickly, strictly eating how u know u should and add more exercise to lose. It ain't science it's natural.
So it looks tobe as your doing great. Planned ver eating each weekend would be very hard for me to snapBack into eating less on Mondays, but u are doing it fine IMO Youth!
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
Sorry for the confusion in my post. Let me start again by saying that I am in maintenance and trying to figure out a WOE that fits in nicely with my lifestyle. I know that if it's a struggle and I feel deprived then it's not going to work long-term.

VLCal in my post = very low calorie. I am not a low carber at all, even on DDs/MDs. When I said I have been kind of doing 5:2 only in the reverse I mean that I am basically eating lower calories 5 days a week without UD/DD rotations and my 2 weekend days have been UUADs. I don't go UUA with candy, cookies, cake, chips, etc. but we travel on the weekends and therefore go out for lunch and dinner almost every Saturday and that alone easily blows my UD calorie allottment. Sunday is typically more of the same. I'm not saying the foods I eat on the weekends are any healthier than cookies, chips, etc., only that the meals are higher in calories and they add up very fast making it an UUAD. My overall calorie intake for the week is roughly the same as when I did strict JUDDD rotations, only now I am reserving a good majority of my calories for the 2 days when I need/use them the most instead of having an UD EOD.

If I were to do as Dr J recommends, weighing only once a week and only after a DD, then I would never see the wild fluctuations in the scale from Saturday morning to Monday morning. My Saturday morning weight graph shows barely any fluctuation from week to week which I suppose is exactly how I should be gauging my success. It is the Monday weigh in after 2 UUADs that makes me panic at times and has me searching for what may be a better method or WOE. Or maybe what I'm doing is just fine Maybe the real answer to my question is STOP WEIGHING ON MONDAY

I don't know if I clarified the confusion or added more of same

p.s. thanks for all the support and advice. It's appreciated

Last edited by LifeIsGood2013; 02-12-2014 at 07:53 AM..
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I suggest trying a M-W-F eat DD calories, and T-Th eat UD (but not UUAD) calories pattern. See if that gives your body enough energy that it does not grab and hold what you give it on weekends.
This. When JUDDD first came out, it was working for me doing a M/W/F DD, T/Thurs/Sat UD, and Sunday being more of a Medium Day. I didn't have UUAD days, though, on my UDs. It's a long story why I got away from JUDDD'ing, but this is the schedule I'm doing now as it fits for my life. When I did the true rotations, it didn't do any better than my schedule.

Last edited by vanilla_latte; 02-12-2014 at 10:00 AM..
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Ah, thank you for the clarification I get it now.

If you are otherwise happy with your weight & size, I'd say stop weighing Monday morning. It's probably just as much bulk in your GI tract as anything else. People in maintenance will tall about a range, if you're staying in your range then ok. Personally I could not do what you do but its working for you, if you're happy, stick with it.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
The clarification was very helpful.
Just don't weigh yourself on Monday for Goodness Sake! You are doing great!
I could easily do 400-600 M-F and enjoy thoroughly on the weekends, but 5:2 in the traditional sense of the term lets me maintain pretty effortlessly so I just do 2 DDs at 200 or so each week, but no UUADs.

This is my first week back to 5:2 since 1/1/14 and I'm enjoying it!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Just don't weigh Monday is an option.

But, how low are your weekdays?

If you are effectively eating five DDs in a row then two UUADs, I am a bit worried about your long term health. In that case, I really do encourage you to experiment with two or three very low week day DDs broken by UDs where you eat slightly above your probable BMR.

Actually I maintained very well alternating UD (who counts, who cares) - MD - UD - DD - UD...with lots of 'who cares' UDs in a row when I went on one of my frequent vaycays.

Experiement!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
I'm a lot like you in that I'm at my goal weight and the UDs bring me two, sometimes three, pounds above that. I'd love to get to the point where the highest weight I see is goal, but it will only happen with a lot more discipline on the UDs. And for me it isn't really a burning goal. I don't mind the swing so much as long as I get to see my goal weight a few times a week.

Back when I lost my weight I was low carb and VLcal and starved all the time. I remember figuring out that I could probably maintain if I allowed myself one treat a week and stuck with the weight loss routine. Then I discovered JUDDD. I find it amazing how well I'm able to maintain despite all the wonderful things I get to eat every other day. (Actually now I'm 4:3 with DDs Monday, Wednesday and Friday.) I love pasteries, cake, cookies and bread with butter, and I allow myself to indulge freely. It's a real pleasure.

Maintaining in about a 3-pound range leaves room for enjoying myself and being content with how I look, too. And it's incredible all the wonderful things I get to eat in the process. What other diet can offer that?

Just a little note on daily weighing. In Krista Varady's new book she cites several studies that indicate people are more successful with both weight loss and weight maintenance the more often they weigh. She recommends her study participants weigh daily and use an average of the most recent up and down days to determine actual weight.
CarolinaCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:08 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
CarolinaCoast, do you mind telling us how many calories you typically have on your UDs and DDs in maintenance? Thanks!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

On my down days I have 500 calories and my up days are anywhere from 1,500 to sometimes more than 3,000. I don't count on up days and have anything at all that I want. Part of what makes it work for me is not worrying when I see the bounce. I'm happy with the 3-pound range.

In Varady's studies she found what matters most is sticking with the calories on down days and not worrying about up days. She also found greater success when participants ate high fat (45%) on both diet days and feasting days. She thinks it's the resulting satisfaction that helps them feel content on dieting days. I've found that to be true in my case. One day this week I had a low fat DD, was ravenous, and was up on the scale the next day.

About the 500 on UDs, the studies showed that a 25% calorie restriction promised the greatest protection of lean body mass compared to other amounts that were tried including a total fast.

Varady and Johnson both suggest higher calories on DDs for maintenance, but I have so many treats on UDs that I'm quite sure I would gain with that strategy.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
On my down days I have 500 calories and my up days are anywhere from 1,500 to sometimes more than 3,000. I don't count on up days and have anything at all that I want. Part of what makes it work for me is not worrying when I see the bounce. I'm happy with the 3-pound range.

In Varady's studies she found what matters most is sticking with the calories on down days and not worrying about up days. She also found greater success when participants ate high fat (45%) on both diet days and feasting days. She thinks it's the resulting satisfaction that helps them feel content on dieting days. I've found that to be true in my case. One day this week I had a low fat DD, was ravenous, and was up on the scale the next day.

About the 500 on UDs, the studies showed that a 25% calorie restriction promised the greatest protection of lean body mass compared to other amounts that were tried including a total fast.

Varady and Johnson both suggest higher calories on DDs for maintenance, but I have so many treats on UDs that I'm quite sure I would gain with that strategy.
This is pretty much me too. Though I am less likely to eat 500 cal DDs as a rule I try to stay under 400.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks CC....although i am currently trying to keep myself in WLM, I have been maintaining my initial loss for almost two years.

I have learned a lot (some of it the hard way) in these two years, and when I lose this little bit of extra, I feel even more confident how to manage my continued maintenance!

I'm so glad I never abandoned this forum whether posting or not, because it has been so helpful and educational.

The personal experiences here have meant more to me than any book could have. They (books) of course, are just good guidelines!

Just so happy for ALL of it!

Phyl
Old 02-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitnow View Post
Thanks CC....although i am currently trying to keep myself in WLM, I have been maintaining my initial loss for almost two years.

I have learned a lot (some of it the hard way) in these two years, and when I lose this little bit of extra, I feel even more confident how to manage my continued maintenance!

I'm so glad I never abandoned this forum whether posting or not, because it has been so helpful and educational.

The personal experiences here have meant more to me than any book could have. They (books) of course, are just good guidelines!

Phyl

Two years of maintaining is excellent! Congrats for sticking with it!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you sweetie heart.....but I must say the JUDDD plan has made it pretty effortless.

It really is quite simple (speaking for myself) when I do it properly. Very little tweaking needed for me luckily!

As I have mentioned here before, I like simple! It's just how I roll best.

I'm fortunate (so far anyway) that living with an "all things in moderation" mentality, has served me well, and really fits perfectly into the JUDDD way of life.

Best of luck in your own continued journey.

Phyl
Old 02-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/126/120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitnow View Post

Phyl

I really hope JUDDD works for me. Time will tell.
kwerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Love you seal avatar Kwerp.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:18 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/126/120
Thanks! Maybe one day I'll get brave and post a pic, but for now I like the happy seal.
kwerp is online now   Reply With Quote