Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
Did LC accelerate your weight loss

If JUDDD working for me? Yes, and at a respectable pace I think, but did LCing make your journey easier?

I know my initial question was, "did it accelerate your weight loss"? But my realy question is, did it do anything to help you deal with your cravings, and control your urge to cheat or even binge?

I didn't have such a great JUDDD weekend, and yesterday was terrible. I was spring cleaning on a DD and instead of staying busy, I kept grazing all day on salty food of course, and now I feel ick today. I'm on regular rotations, so this will stay my UD, but I feel like yesterday was such a waste, and I know better!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I went low carb without rotations for a couple of weeks to get my cravings under control. It "sort of" worked. I'm back to JUDDD now, and not low carbing, and seem to be in a little better control of the cravings for junk, though not totally. It did nothing for my weight loss, but I didn't combine the two.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

My only problem with LC is if I eat one wrong thing, that's it - I go crazy with cravings!
There's no, "Oh, I'll just have 1 piece of cake and that'll be ok..." Nope, I have my cake and eat it too, and your cake, and someone else's cake! Then the next day, I get a carb/sugar hangover LOL!
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I combine what's known as a modified ketogenic diet with JUDDD for migraine control. By and large it's fine for me. I was initially bothered by the tiny volume of food that I was eating when in WLM but since going into maintenance I've reverse dieted to the point where I've increased my kcal intake by 200-250kcals while maintaining/still slightly losing.

I don't have cravings as such but...I pretty much experienced a substantial reduction in appetite after doing the potato hack (PH) (odd tho' that it may seem, I was so uninterested in plain, unadorned, unseasoned potato that I didn't eat enough kcals to leave ketosis, despite eating only carbs). The PH seemed to teach me the difference between eating to satiate hunger and eating beyond that point so I've rarely been hungry in a year and I have a different notion as to portion sizes.

So, the PH, plus moderate protein and <35g carbs a day seems to keep most cravings in check. (I'd had no cravings until recently when I'm not drawn to sweet/salt so much as the emotional comfort of a stew because I'm sick to death of the flooding, mud, and clean-up. It will pass. )

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I absolutely love a good stew, and actually that's what I have gathered ingrediants for this week, since we are expecting snow Tuesday and Wednesday. :/

I can't seem to hit ketosis even on 20g - I can usually tell when I'm in it, and maybe my body just doesn't react the same to it as it use to? I don't know... Maybe I should get the sticks next time I try, but I heard that they are inaccurate as well.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I think you need to determine how sensitive you are to carbs.

I happen to be extremely sensitive, and I was eating <20g a day before I started JUDDD. I only did JUDDD because I also need to restrict calories, and JUDDD really helped me with that. However, I could never have managed a DD without low-carb eating. If I eat above 30g of carbs, my appetite is insatiable. Most DDs I probably had no more than 5g of carbs total, and even my UDs were 20g at most (often 10g).

In maintenance, I continue to eat low carb because it's the best way for me to manage my weight.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

When I did LC, I did see that it was difficult for me to reach more than 1200 calories because I just had no appetite, which is a good thing I thought, but my losses were very little, almost nothing really. JUDDD brings the losses for me - I don't know why, because calorie restriction like 1200-1500 calories a day has never been my issue. I've been wanting to make an appointment to run a thyroid panel and see if that's the case, since grandmas on both sides have issues along with my mom :/

I think I'm very sensitve to carbs, even fruits send me into a frenzy. It's embarrassing to me to be in such a battle with food
Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I am finally sticking with LC, and it has helped enormously with over-eating for me. I know if I eat something sweet I will not be able to stop, but it was much the same when I was JUDDDing as well. I think DD restrictions made me crave high carb treats on UDs and I just wanted to eat and eat and eat. It took me a long time to admit that I couldn't control my eating to the point that I could lose well, or at all sometimes. Now, I'm just eating straight LC and no rotations trying to get my appetite fully under control before I go back to DDs. (I've tried a few, but haven't had a very successful one yet).

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I did HF/LC for a couple weeks to get cravings under control. Now that I have accomplished that (along with ketosis), I have added my DD's back in. Right now my DD's are egg fasts just because HB eggs are quick and easy to make (and tasty mixed with mustard) I still plan on staying HF/LC though even after I stop egg fasting EOD and return to normal LC DD's.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Demonica, did you use the keto sticks to determine ketosis?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

yes
Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
I have added my DD's back in. Right now my DD's are egg fasts just because HB eggs are quick and easy to make (and tasty mixed with mustard) I still plan on staying HF/LC though even after I stop egg fasting EOD and return to normal LC DD's.
DD egg fasts sounds like a great idea! I do love eggs, and that's one food that although I love, it erases my cravings and appetite after a few. I know I could manage a couple in the very late morning/early afternoon, then a dinner with eggs - maybe a couple of boiled eggs and a little mayo. Mmmmm...
Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I'm about to head to the store - I'll pick up some Keto sticks, and also try an egg fast for tomorrow's DD and continue from there just to see how it goes.

Did you guys find the Keto sticks accurate?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I drink a lot of water and it dilutes the result. Even when I'm in deep ketosis (or at least think I am) it shows "small" on the sticks. The only times I ever got dark purple were when I was dehydrated.

DH doesn't drink much at all, and his sticks always show dark purple when he does low carb.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I had to buy new ketostix because the ones I had were a year old and were showing nothing even though I knew I was in some state of ketosis. As long as they show even trace amount, I am happy
Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I'll pick up some - can't hurt anything to try
Old 02-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/125/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
I'm really sensitive to sugar and to a somewhat lesser extent to other high glycemic carbs. I try not to eat sugar at all but when it's something that matters to someone else or a very special occasion I'll go ahead and do it and just assume that I'm going to be white knuckling it for a few days. It's really not worth it to me to do that very often.

I've found that with JUDDD it really matters to me what I have for UD dinner if I want a smooth DD. I eat high protein, low carb (in a pretty large quantity) on my UD dinners and try to have the carbier stuff earlier on the UD.

I realize that for a lot of people here hardcore LC is something they don't want or need to do. But if you're fighting carb cravings, then maybe just figuring out a way to schedule the carbs so that you're not fighting the insulin response on your DDs is worth trying. It's really helped me.

Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
I don't know if anything will ever get this weight off me, but I do much better with my eating keeping it low carb. I can have a meal or a day eating carbier stuff (even bad carbs) and get right back on track IF I don't let it seep into the next day. Which has happened the last week or so. So, today it's back on LC, keeping things mostly on the fat-filled side since fat keeps me better sated.

I did Atkins 72 back in the summer, or I guess better said, kept my carbs to between 10-20 (occasionally 30-50) and was always in ketosis according to my stix. Only lost a couple of pounds, so I don't know if I'm so carb sensitive that I need to go lower than that or what.

But my DDs are typically much, much better when eating LC.

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BroadwayBaby
Stats: 265/224/165
WOE: Lost 35 on WW/-6 on JUDDD...so far
Start Date: 1/18/2014-JUDDD
Very interesting thread! I know for me right now I'm allowing myself more carbs than I should for the simple fact that I'm trying to figure out my budget, trying to make foods stretch (adding brown rice and pasta helps) trying to eat cheaply (sandwiches, pasta) and get through my first winter in 15 years...carbs seem to keep me warm! LOL! I know in exchange for allowing myself to eat more pasta, rice and bread I'm going to lose a lot slower and for now I'm okay with that. BUT come spring, I will have figured out how to work my budget, I will be working my survival job, hitting the gym more and walking around the city more when it's warmer out and then I'm going to limit my carb intake because I want to eat more proteins, veggies, fruits, nuts, a cleaner diet. For me it seems to help me feel and look less bloated to limit my carbs and helps with SOME cravings. I just know for me personally I can't go completely low carb anymore, too much guilt and some sort of psychological games going on with completely eliminating something only makes me want it more and chances of binges are a lot higher! Once thing I love about JUDDD is it really does make you experiment and learn more about yourself, your food choices and what works for you.

Last edited by BroadwayBaby; 02-10-2014 at 12:16 PM..
BroadwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I did Atkins 72 back in the summer, or I guess better said, kept my carbs to between 10-20 (occasionally 30-50) and was always in ketosis according to my stix. Only lost a couple of pounds, so I don't know if I'm so carb sensitive that I need to go lower than that or what.
I know what you mean, I hover at 20g net carbs. When that wasn't working, I tried to do 20g carbs instead of net carbs - nothing. I don't think it's possible (on my budget) to go to zero, plus I assume it would be very boring!

I always wonder too if the that one golden shot is a myth, because in reading, and in my experience with LC - it worked one time, I lost 15 lbs, slipped off the LC train, and when I went back, it didn't work. I've gone back to LC a number of times with zero loss, and it drives me insane! I enjoy that way of eating, and it curbs my cravings, but I would love to see some weight loss when I'm eating that way since it only seems fair that if I put down the sugar, I'll also put down the pounds

I guess I can transition back into LC just for the sake of stomping these hardcore cravings, and ocassional binge fits. Of course that means 3 days of LC flu, but I can deal with it.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBaby View Post
I just know for me personally I can't go completely low carb anymore, too much guilt and some sort of psychological games going on with completely eliminating something only makes me want it more and chances of binges are a lot higher! Once thing I love about JUDDD is it really does make you experiment and learn more about yourself, your food choices and what works for you.
I can go without carbs after the initial LC flu, but if I touch them after I'm well into the WOE - it's allllll over!
Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybarometer View Post
I always wonder too if the that one golden shot is a myth, because in reading, and in my experience with LC - it worked one time, I lost 15 lbs, slipped off the LC train, and when I went back, it didn't work. I've gone back to LC a number of times with zero loss, and it drives me insane! I enjoy that way of eating, and it curbs my cravings, but I would love to see some weight loss when I'm eating that way since it only seems fair that if I put down the sugar, I'll also put down the pounds
Did you eat many of the LC treats?

Over all of the years I was involved in LC, I started to notice a trend. People would start LC and eat pretty clean and lose pretty rapidly. Then they would start to frequent the LC treats recipe section of the forums and the weight loss would stop. Eventually, they would quit in frustration.

Then, when they came back to try LC again, they would go straight to the treats and there would be no loss this time. I don't know if that describes your experience but it is fairly common.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I considered that when going back, so I cut out the treats and still has little luck. Most days were as follows:

B: 3 boiled eggs, two slice tomatoes
L: Chicken Salad or cobb style salad with plain turkey and boiled egg
D: some sort of meat and a green veggie.

That trend rarely change other than every other week, when I would be in a rush and not catch breakfast at home, so I'd stop at Hardees for a LC breakfast bowl
Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
Did you eat many of the LC treats?

Over all of the years I was involved in LC, I started to notice a trend. People would start LC and eat pretty clean and lose pretty rapidly. Then they would start to frequent the LC treats recipe section of the forums and the weight loss would stop. Eventually, they would quit in frustration.

Then, when they came back to try LC again, they would go straight to the treats and there would be no loss this time. I don't know if that describes your experience but it is fairly common.
When you say treats, do you mean items with sugar substitutes? Or low carb versions of high carb sweets and starchy things? Just wondering
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
When you say treats, do you mean items with sugar substitutes? Or low carb versions of high carb sweets and starchy things? Just wondering
In bold.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybarometer View Post
I know what you mean, I hover at 20g net carbs. When that wasn't working, I tried to do 20g carbs instead of net carbs - nothing. I don't think it's possible (on my budget) to go to zero, plus I assume it would be very boring!

I guess I can transition back into LC just for the sake of stomping these hardcore cravings, and ocassional binge fits. Of course that means 3 days of LC flu, but I can deal with it.
I know, right???? I cut the carbs, the wheat, the sugar, and still nothing. I'm been thinking (and thinking, and thinking) the the only two times I've been successful at losing (aside from those shots/pills that were popular back in the 80's) was with WW and JUDDD. Both were derailed for either frustration or vacation. It took me six blasted months to lose 15 lbs. on WW. JUDDD was a little quicker (14 lbs. in about 3-4 months I think). With either one, I still had 60-80 lbs. needed to vacate the premises. I'm still there. So, with the aforementioned "thinking", I'm thinking that I just need to pick something and stick with it as apparently I'm going to be the slowest losing person on the planet. Solar system and universe, too.

LC definitely helps me with the cravings. But, like you, puzzles me why the weight loss doesn't happen when carbs are cut to just about nothing.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm a little (well, a lot) frustrated today too, Nilla. I haven't cheated once in 11 days, and have gone right back up to what I was on day one of LC. Back to JUDDD tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I'm a little (well, a lot) frustrated today too, Nilla. I haven't cheated once in 11 days, and have gone right back up to what I was on day one of LC. Back to JUDDD tomorrow.
Will you stay LC on JUDDD?
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't know. I probably will for a little while at least. I'm usually LC on DDs anyway, so yes, for now.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:43 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
When I started JUDDD I had been LCHF for almost four months - lost the initial glycogen-adjusting water weight then stalled and stalled and stalled.

I kept eating LCHF to JUDDD's calories. Lost about a pound a week. In the fourth week, I felt the 'Magic' (appetite suppression, high energy) and started losing two pounds/week.

After six weeks JUDDDing, I ate a piece of bread: felt cravings, thought about food, felt hungry...put bread aside for a month. After that passed I ate half a potato: enjoyed the taste, had no reaction, added small amounts of potato to my eating plan. Over several weeks I tried one carby food at a time. Over a period of months I found I could eat anything except bread (including ice cream) with no cravings, no bloat, no nothing bad.

Bread I had to give up - gluten got me.

Oh, and LCHF or 'balanced diet' on JUDDD I lost two pounds/week. .... except the weeks I forgot to eat on UDs, ran an experiment that did not work out, or went on vaycay.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 02-12-2014 at 03:44 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote