Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
In mourning for eggs

I have just figured out that I should not be eating eggs (food sensitivity elimination diet, and some bad experiences reintroducing them).

I love eggs.

And they are in so many things.

I am having a hard time dealing with/accepting this. It's a real shock. I was even crying about it yesterday, which seems silly when I write it down, but losing eggs means a radical shift in how I eat.

Has anyone dealt with the emotional side of 'losing' a beloved item to eat? Not just something that you were pretty sure was bad for you any how, and was more of a treat, but a core item to your diet? Something you always felt was wholesome and pure?

I could use any acceptance tips/insights/methods. Or even just sympathy. Thanks.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I haven't gone through this, but I feel for you. I don't like eggs all that much on their own, but I love lots of things made with them, and couldn't imagine having to cut them out completely.

Do you know if your negative reaction is to eggs cooked ALL ways (like if they're in bread or cake or something, would you have the same issue)?

KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I'll need to experiment further. So far I just had the eggs on their own. But that will have to wait until I have reintroduced some other things. I can't face finding all the different ways eggs might mess me up until I have some more options under my belt.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
This is very general- about anything someone might give up like cigarettes or alcohol or sugar. Things they thought they could not live without, but just accept it. You don't have to like it, but accept that it is not good for you right now and 1 day at a time you will not eat eggs. You may change your mind tomorrow, but today you will not eat them.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Yes, I have given up dairy and it literally makes me sad. It has gotten a little better since I have found some replacements besides soy gunk (Whole Foods will make a latte with coconut milk and I am waiting on a yogurt maker to try to create a replacement for greek yogurt), but mostly I just focus on the symptom that is better without dairy. For me, it is asthma when I try to exercise.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Yesterday I finished watching a you tube video...5 hrs(!) by David Getoff, a clinical nutrition fellow. Amazing stuff he offered--so much to understand with references, etc.
During the video one of the things he addresses was egg allergy.
It was interesting that some folks who presented with egg allergy ended up with a clear understanding that it was 'cooked egg white' that was the problem, because the 'cooking part' was what denatured the protein that caused the allergic response.
My DIL has recently rec. the information that she is also "sensitive" to eggs. Respiratory distress comes, but not immediately...more general increase of various signs/symptoms.
Everyone is different.
For some folks, not consuming them for awhile, then re-challenging to see the response is helpful.
It takes time to figure it all out.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Sirtain, I feel for you. I do miss some of the things I'm not eating right now, and most of them were treat-type things, but I still feel the loss. Can you explain how eggs affected you negatively, as it might be something that others have experienced and didn't know the cause?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #8

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I'm so sorry to hear this, Sirtain. I know how much you were hoping it wasn't eggs that was causing your problems. I hope you won't have to eliminate them completely, as in everything that has any eggs in it at all.

I suspected peanuts and peanut butter a few years back, and I just quit eating them altogether for over a year. I had allergy testing, and I did show some sensitivity, but I was so highly inflamed when I had the test that almost everything showed some sensitivity. Once I started JUDDD and got my inflammation under control, I added them back and haven't had any further problems. I hope you can do something similar in time.

I know how hard this must be for you. I'm sorry!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/163.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
I have nothing to contribute but will upload a big hug.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LoCo77
Stats: 260/222/160
WOE: JUDDD + Mod carb
Start Date: Atkins- Jan 2013 / JUDDD Feb 2014
Hello, I am new here, and was planning on posting on the newbie forum first... but this post caught my eye. I had EXACTLY the same experience last September. After months of figuring and a summer of elimination diet, and then finally sensitivity testing, my NP confirmed what I feared most (well, second most, cheese was first): I have an egg sensitivity and have to cut them out. GASP!!! My reaction was the same as yours. I also cried. At first I cut them out entirely. Even stuff with eggs IN them. Mayo was the hardest. But I will say that my symptoms greatly improved. For me, it was mainly joint inflammation and exhaustion.

So, here I am, 5 months later. I have been less firm about avoiding the things with eggs in them (but I don't go all crazy on them either), and I'm still not eating actual eggs. One day a few weeks ago I was at a friend's place for breakfast and she served eggs. I thought "I'll just eat one, don't want to be rude", and I was in a world of gastro upset for 4 days after. So I guess I'm not ready to re-introduce them, if I ever will be.

Eggs were my daily go-to meal favourite! Omelets, scrambles, crustless quiches, you name it. Honestly, nothing really replaces them. There is a company in the States who say they have a comparable egg-free replacement, but I can't get it in Canada. Wholefoods has it, apparently.

So, how do I cope? Honestly, I just don't really eat breakfast much anymore. When I do, it's leftovers or avocado. I figure the cream in my coffee counts, since I am consuming calories to get my metabolism started for the day. Maybe not the most helpful suggestion, but it's what I do.

Hang in there, Sirtain, if you are like me, there is a chance you will be able to eat them again someday, but even if you can't, there is still plenty of delicious foods out there. It is just about changing your thought process about what you "normally" eat. Similar to starting eating low-carb in the first place?

Laura
LoCo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 226/220/160
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 12/10/14
Before you totally eliminate them, I have some advice, since my father experienced the same thing: he is allergic to sulfa drugs and the store bought eggs were beginning to cause him severe stomach cramps and the dreaded diarrhea. The industry doesn't want you to know that they lace the chicken's water with these sulfa drugs, which ends up in the eggs you buy at the store. Anyhow, I told him to try some fresh farm eggs from one of the people in town who had chickens. Miraculously, his problems went away and he was able to eat them in large quantities with NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. In fact, last year, I got 15 hens and now he eats my eggs. He is ecstatic to be able to eat eggs again! So if you can, try some fresh farm eggs as a test to see if they bother you. If you still have the same issues, then you most likely have developed a sensitivity to them, but I sell my eggs to few people in my hometown that have had the same issues as my father, and they can eat my eggs, but not ones from the store.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you, all! I went to the right people for sympathy and advice.

I am heartened by the idea that it might be just the egg whites and/or cooked egg whites. I will definitely test that out. (Later, I can't face a possible new egg failure right now.)

I already eat pastured eggs that a friend of mine raises. However...she is changing their feed to a non-wheat/corn/soy one, so I could try that aspect in a couple months, too.

Or, maybe I will eventually heal up.

As for my symptoms, I have been having gut pains. My doctor diagnosed it as IBS, even though I have none of the other IBS-type symptoms(I know it is a tricky and catch-all diagnosis.)

Maybe it is ONLY eggs, after all, I usually eat them every day. In a way, that would be a blessing, to have a clear-cut answer.

And maybe I can heal up and have them again some day. (Notice a theme, here?!)

Mostly, thank you for the sympathy. It was just what I needed.

Just made some scrambled eggs...for my dogs. They look and smell delicious.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: allisonm
Stats: 336/286/160 5'9"
WOE: LC GFCF JUDDD
I've discovered a lot of food sensitivities too, and have had to give up several foods. I understand how you feel.

What really helps me is to focus on what I can eat. On JUDDD, that's a pretty big list of yumminess.
allisonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Sirtain when you ate the eggs did it reflect in the scales the next day?
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

No, I stayed the same in weight. When I began the elimination diet I DID have quite a quick drop in weight, though.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm very allergic to Sulfa drugs. I have never had any reaction that I'm aware of to eggs. I hope that will continue to be a non- issue regarding the Sulfa in the chicken's feed.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I had an experience several years ago that might encourage you. I had been low carbing for several years, and eggs were a very important part of my diet, too. I started noticing that I felt sick to my stomach, with actual stomach pains, usually mid-morning, for several days. It didn't happen every day, but over a 2-3 week period, it happened several times. After thinking it over quite awhile, I realized it was only on the days I'd had eggs for breakfast that I felt sick. I tested my theory, and sure enough, it appeared to be the eggs. I then googled it and discovered that people can, at any time, develop a sensitivity to the protein in the egg whites, and that's it's pretty common. I also read, with hope, that avoiding that food for a significant period of time can often alleviate the problem.

I gave up eating eggs, and most dishes that used them, such as quiche, for about a year. One day, I decided to try an egg for breakfast again, and I did fine. I re-introduced them slowly, and now, several years later, I continue to have no problems.

My daughter had a similar experience with wheat and dairy. She actually had allergy testing that confirmed she was allergic to it, and she had pretty severe gastro symptoms. She gave them both up for six months, then started eating a little wheat again. After she did fine with that, she finally started adding back in a little dairy (after about a year), and now she can handle that pretty well, too. She was so excited when she indulged in ice cream and didn't get sick!

I sincerely hope that you can have the same type of experience my daughter and I had, and that at some point you can enjoy eggs again. I do believe there's a good chance. Hang in there!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Laurie, thank you. That is heartening. I will hold out hope that it is not forever.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #19

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
Sirtain, I know nothing about egg issues, but I want you to know I feel for you. I LOVE EGGS! When I was diagnosed Celiac, I cried walking down the bread isle! I know what you are going through and hopefully some of the suggestions here will pan out!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
WOE: Intuitive Eating
Start Date: 4/2014
My son has horrible food allergies and tested positive to 69 out of 73 foods! Technically he should be avoiding nearly every food/food group, however, the only two things he completely avoids are eggs and peanuts due to the life-threatening response anaphylaxis. He suffers from asthma, ecsema, sinusitis, you name it, all due to his food allergies but he refuses to do an elimination diet for fear there would be nothing left to eat and who could blame him! He would rather go through life feeling miserable than give up all things he loves

Anyway, many allergy clinics will now do what's called 'egg desensitization' and it may be worth looking into. Our clinic charges $120 for the treatment. There is also a technique called NAET that many people have tremendous success with but it is more expensive. Those are just a few alternative options and maybe one will work for you
LifeIsGood2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Bummer Sirtain
Our body's are always changing.
Stuff happens, hopefully u will get to have eggs again someday.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote