Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   I don't want to count today (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/822414-i-dont-want-count-today.html)

KaisMama 02-08-2014 11:55 AM

I don't want to count today

Like I really, really don't want to count today.

It's an up day for me and I feel like going to a movie and getting popcorn, or maybe a pizza, or maybe some pretzels. Good Lord if I didn't track I think I could easily exceed my 2090 calories.

Do you guys ever have days like that?

I know Dr. j says up days are "normal" days but I think he means in the TDEE sense because my "normal" got me to over 200lbs.

Argh.

calichris 02-08-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaisMama (Post 16792323)
Like I really, really don't want to count today.

It's an up day for me and I feel like going to a movie and getting popcorn, or maybe a pizza, or maybe some pretzels. Good Lord if I didn't track I think I could easily exceed my 2090 calories.

Do you guys ever have days like that?

I know Dr. j says up days are "normal" days but I think he means in the TDEE sense because my "normal" got me to over 200lbs.

Argh.

Kai, only you know what you need most right now, but if you are feeling really fatigued, it won't do you in, on JUDDD, to take an occasional day off of counting, and might even refresh you. But you know yourself and your needs best!

You have a great point about how "normal" may not be TDEE for those of us who have gained! On the other hand, it's a little different when you add DDs into the mix. I like to think of this this way: if your TDEE is 2000 calories, and your DD is 500 calories, you'd have to eat 3,500 calories on a UUAD to NOT be in a calorie deficit over a 2 day period. And you'd have to have more than that to gain! This is why JUDDD is so beautiful, because you can go over your UD calories once in a while on a special occasion or just no reason (but again, not too often) and still lose.

MSN08 02-08-2014 01:14 PM

I personally allow occasional days of not counting on UD like when we have a special outing but I do portion the amount of foods. So I basically just sample the things I want instead of having big portions of each. It works for me so that I don't feel deprived or overly full and keeps the cals from being outrageous.

Yam-Yam 02-08-2014 01:23 PM

I know what you mean about Dr. J saying to eat normally on UDs. Ha! Normal for WHO?

I finished reading Michael Mosley's book and I had that thought throughout the whole thing. He must have a normal, healthy eating pattern for the most part. For him to only take two days out of a week to restrict calories to 600 and then still lose weight saying he could eat normally not having to worry the other 5 days.....:dunno:?????

If I ate my "normal" way for 5 days out of the week, I would gain, gain, gain.

But I'm with Chris, too. Every now and then a no count day is good. You will probably find when you get into it that you don't want to eat the volume you thought you were going to want.

As always with JUDDD, do what feels right or OK with you. There's no need to suffer or torture yourself. You can have a really good DD tomorrow. :jumpjoy:

Ailuros 02-08-2014 01:40 PM

I haven’t counted at all, and that works for me, but it’s a very individual thing. Varady seemed to find that most people, left to their own devices didn’t eat enough on their up days to undo the deficit of their down days. Just find out what works for you — and as the others have said, even if you generally need to count, one day isn’t the end of the world.

Carly 02-08-2014 02:34 PM

I haven't counted UDs since my first month. We are all different and I gained weight though a highly unusual means and combination of physical health issues so I never had a problem with overeating per se.

One day of not counting won't equal much damage as long as you get right back into a good pattern tomorrow.

Becky 02-08-2014 04:31 PM

I have to count my UDs as I only get 1700 to play with, I go over some time, I stay under some times, I'm losing so I guess it all balances out. If I didn't count or pay attention to my calories I would go over all the time as I tend to eat mindlessly.

Ailuros 02-09-2014 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 16792564)
I have to count my UDs as I only get 1700 to play with, I go over some time, I stay under some times, I'm losing so I guess it all balances out. If I didn't count or pay attention to my calories I would go over all the time as I tend to eat mindlessly.

Itís because I only get 1440 for my up days that I donít count. Iíd just feel defeated at the outset. I have no idea whether thatís close to what I actually eat or not, but I just canít face having such a low limit and calling it an Up Day!

Sirtain 02-09-2014 06:50 AM

I never count Up Days. I knew I could not sustain that(I hate keeping track of calories) so I never started. You may be surprised. Just because you THINK you might go wild, doesn't mean you WILL.