Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Sirt1 hormone?? Maybe?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/822231-sirt1-hormone-maybe.html)

DrwhoTardisRose 02-05-2014 07:35 PM

Sirt1 hormone?? Maybe??

I am finding that I am dreaming of UD on DD but, once UD gets here I am not hungry?? Could it be the Sirt1 working?? :dunno:

E.W. 02-06-2014 03:11 AM

Or it could be that on the DD our insulin and blood sugar get just a little lower and we can start burning fat.

E.W. 02-06-2014 03:23 AM

TardisRose, Have you watched the Partner's in Crime episode of Dr. Who ? It's diet related and very funny.

KeirasMom 02-06-2014 06:26 AM

That's super common. I'm not sure of the mechanism, but it really helps a lot of us feel like we have a better relationship with food. Woohoo!! :jumpjoy:

Eieio 02-06-2014 06:52 AM

:clap:

Yam-Yam 02-06-2014 09:57 AM

Have you read Michael Mosley's book, "The 5:2 Diet"?

There are several studies being done on this regarding ADF and all kinds of IF. Krista Varady in her trials thought that people who fasted would be ravenously hungry the day after a fast. In stead, she found that overwhelmingly the opposite happened.

Some think it could be the reduction in IGF1 levels. Dr. J seems to think it is a happy side effect of SIRT1 in action.

But I also think there is one more factor. Dr. Dukan gives a very good explanation of how ketones suppress appetite. From what I have read, one day of total to moderate fasting causes the body to go into ketosis and produce those appetite suppressing ketones.

So, I guess it could be all of the above plus reasons that are purely emotional and psychological or none of the above. :hyst::dunno:

LoCarbGal 02-06-2014 10:19 AM

Whatever it is, I like it! I usually wake up not feeling hungry on UDs, and can go hours before eating. It's wonderful, especially after feeling the previous day that you'll want to eat everything in sight when you get the chance.

BroadwayBaby 02-06-2014 06:11 PM

Sometimes on DD's I find myself fantasizing about what I'm going to eat the next day on my UD! lol! Usually it's breakfast, like when I wake up on that UD I'm gonna eat bacon, eggs, waffles, hashbrowns...and then I wake up and I'm okay with eating just half of that or sometimes nothing at all til lunch. I think for me it's a mental thing, like I want it because I can't have it and then when I can I'm like, well maybe I don't really want it after all. LOL!

mojocat 02-06-2014 06:45 PM

Or Dr Vardy's "scientific" explanation that the stomach simply shrinks...

Librarygirl 02-06-2014 07:02 PM

Yeah, and that would explain UUAD's that happen quite often to seasoned JUDDDers. ;) If the stomach shrinks, then why after months of JUDDDing, when logically it would have gotten even smaller, would our appetites increase? Just sayin.

calichris 02-06-2014 07:22 PM

There are studies to show that dieters actually have reduced stomach capacity:

Reduced stomach capacity in obese subjects af... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI

None on IF that I know of, but it's not such a stretch to think that intermittent fasting could have similar results.

wanttolose70 02-07-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadwayBaby (Post 16789977)
Sometimes on DD's I find myself fantasizing about what I'm going to eat the next day on my UD! lol! Usually it's breakfast, like when I wake up on that UD I'm gonna eat bacon, eggs, waffles, hashbrowns...and then I wake up and I'm okay with eating just half of that or sometimes nothing at all til lunch. I think for me it's a mental thing, like I want it because I can't have it and then when I can I'm like, well maybe I don't really want it after all. LOL!

:goodpost:

BroadwayBaby that is exactly how i feel every day on an UD. I already have foods/meals in mind the night before or throughout my DD and then when UD comes around I'm like "nevermind, i don't want that anymore" lol! :dunno:

LoCarbGal 02-07-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calichris (Post 16790082)
There are studies to show that dieters actually have reduced stomach capacity:

Reduced stomach capacity in obese subjects af... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI

None on IF that I know of, but it's not such a stretch to think that intermittent fasting could have similar results.

I'm pretty sure I've experienced that. However, when that UUAD feeling hits, I don't seem to have any problem stretching it back out again. :annoyed:

shirlc 02-07-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16791110)
I'm pretty sure I've experienced that. However, when that UUAD feeling hits, I don't seem to have any problem stretching it back out again. :annoyed:

Amen, Carol!

mojocat 02-07-2014 02:22 PM

I believe there are 2 types of JUDDDers; those that struggle with DD's and those that struggle with UD's; and I fit the latter. I do find that after a DD dreaming of a particular food, if I eat it the next day it never seems to to taste as nice as I imagined; so that may be a SIRT effect, however I could easily let myself go and overeat.

I do know that Dr Vardy writes along the lines that after the initial honeymoon period of UD's her subjects tended to start craving healthier options, more lean meats, fruits and vegetables etc, and I do somewhat agree with this in my instance. She also had some subjects who overate on UD's with stalled weight loss and they were advised to count calories; so I assume she had the two types of JUDDDers in her studies.

Librarygirl 02-07-2014 04:20 PM

:goodpost: I think you probably summed it up there, Mojo. I don't find DDs effortless, but UDs are much more difficult to keep in control, especially with sweets and carbs. I am finding it easier now with LC. I need to keep that in mind when I start thinking it's okay to have a little junk food or sugary dessert...I resisted the idea that I was a carb addict all this time, and maybe it wouldn't be so bad IF I weren't fasting eod, but while dieting I find it almost impossible to not overeat on UDs without limiting carbs.

DrwhoTardisRose 02-08-2014 07:09 PM

E.W....yes I have seen every episode! I am a Huge Huge fan:)!! To everyone that responded thank you thank you:) it makes total sense and I am one that struggles with DD...not my food but just feeling super hungry the whole day and then nothing on UD....I am hoping my hunger will get into check after being on JUDDD longer.