Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KaisMama
Stats: 219/206/healthy
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 01/01/14
Slow WOE?

I've read in a lot of these threads that JUDDD is a "slow" diet, but many of the loses people have experienced are 1-2 lbs a week consistently which does not seem slow to me at all, especially considering how long it took many of us to gain the weight, and time spent at that weight. I was just wondering what makes people say JUDDD is slower, and why it would be slower than other diets?

And also, if you guys care to share your personal experiences.

I apologize if this has been answered already.
KaisMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
This is something that has bothered me for a long time. Based on MY experience, JUDDD is just as fast as other diets, and for me, much more consistent, not to mention easier to stick with. I always just assumed I was weird, though, and others have had faster losses with other plans.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I didn't think JUDDD was any slower for almost my first year. It was right on par with what I had been losing on Atkins. But I've slowed down significantly in the past several months as I've gotten nearer goal, so my average is now about 1.3 pounds per week. Not the fastest, but I'm still happy because JUDDD is so livable.

Also, I have realized that where I seem to be stuck now is exactly where I got stuck for several months last time I lost a significant amount - 94 pounds in 1999-2000ish. This may be a weight my body likes to settle at for awhile before it lets go of more. It was kind of a relief to realize that, but also a little infuriating, because I'm ready to lose the rest of this dang fat!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I think another reason people may say JUDDD is slow is because with the low carb WOEs you tend to dump several pounds right away (usually water & glycogen stores but who doesn't love a huge drop on the scale, regardless of the source?) With JUDDD, some people can take up to a month to see losses. This is usually theorized to be because the SIRTs are getting activated and perhaps there is some internal inflammation that needs to be cleaned up. And since we're not dumping water and glycogen for those fast initial losses, people likely perceive it as slower.
Consider also, losses on the PH, Stillman's and (I think) HCG can be in the range of 0.5-1# per DAY! Now, personally, I think that's FAST and JUDDD is normal. But if someone is transitioning to JUDDD from one of those plans, they may consider JUDDD slow.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
For me, I think JUDDD was a tad slower than LC for the first month, but overall about the same, and didn’t taper off as LC did. LC gave my weight loss a curved shape, steep at the start, then levelling off. JUDDD (well, alt day calorie restriction — I don’t actually follow the JUDDD numbers) has been a straight line. There’s no sign that I’ll stop losing weight unless I change what I’m doing.

Both averaged about a pound a week, which is pretty good going for me, because I’m not very tall and didn’t have an awful lot to lose (20-30 lbs).

Last edited by Ailuros; 02-05-2014 at 02:28 AM..
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:27 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
This is something that has bothered me for a long time. Based on MY experience, JUDDD is just as fast as other diets, and for me, much more consistent, not to mention easier to stick with. I always just assumed I was weird, though, and others have had faster losses with other plans.

I didn't find JUDDD to be slow at all. Not to mention I thoroughly enjoyed the process which I cannot say about most other weight loss plans.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I didn't think JUDDD was any slower for almost my first year. It was right on par with what I had been losing on Atkins. But I've slowed down significantly in the past several months as I've gotten nearer goal, so my average is now about 1.3 pounds per week. Not the fastest, but I'm still happy because JUDDD is so livable.

Also, I have realized that where I seem to be stuck now is exactly where I got stuck for several months last time I lost a significant amount - 94 pounds in 1999-2000ish. This may be a weight my body likes to settle at for awhile before it lets go of more. It was kind of a relief to realize that, but also a little infuriating, because I'm ready to lose the rest of this dang fat!

Awesome posts!

I think people consider it slow because they think about the fad diets that drop pounds quickly, but never consider how quickly the weight comes back on. JUDDD has been one of the most livable WOE that I have ever been a part of and I'm proud of the weight that I've lost in the time that I've lost it. We didn't just put it on overnight and we haven't been carrying it around for a few months so it's going to take some time to get it off which I think is so much better for the mind. I don't want to go through this process again and I know I can sustain JUDDD.

"You can always take the easy way out & give up but real strength comes when you decide to keep pushing no matter what the circumstances are."
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
It was very slow for me because I would overeat on UDs, lose it on DDs (water, most likely), gain it back the next and so on. It doesn't work as a fast weight loss plan for *some* people, but it does for others.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slimming-up
Stats: 180/134/135 5'7"
WOE: Maintenence - 5:2 (as of 3/1/14)
Start Date: 7/7/13 - JUDDD
I wouldn't consider my loss slow-
I started in early July last year and lost approx 5 pounds per month ( a little more the first couple of months).
I think my loss is better than I had hoped for. Not in that more came off than I had expected, but that it's 7 months later and I'm still as faithful to the plan as I was in the early days of high motivation, and I don't feel like I'm dieting. I'm healthier, feel better and happier with myself than ever.
No, JUDDD can't promise unrealistic weight loss like you'd hear on tv or see in the back of a magazine, but those are too good to be true.
JUDDD is not too good to be true, it's actually GREAT and true!
Slimming-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I haven't experienced slow losses with JUDDD. As long as I stick to the alternate day plan, my weight goes steadily downward. As I'm maintaining now, I'll probably have to do some experimentation soon.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
ks4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ks4
Stats: 154.8/135.4/120
Start Date: 10/29/2013
I wouldn't say it has been fast or slow, more like a happy medium. I started in late October and have lost about 14 pounds since then which is like 4-5 pounds a month. Now that I think about it, this seems pretty fast! However while I was losing weight, I would lose say 3 pounds in a week or two and then plateau for a few weeks. I lost 10 pounds in 1.5 months and didn't lose for a month. Then I lose 3-4 more pounds and am not losing right now. So because the weight loss isn't linear for me it seems slow, when in reality it is pretty fast. It's easy to get discouraged this way for me. But the lifestyle is so easy to work with that it's worth sticking to. I hope I lose the next batch soon
ks4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I find it slow, but I LOVE it. Fast never worked for me, because I couldn't sustain it. I find I lose in chunks, with my weight bouncing around the same point for a while, and then I have a big whoosh. I have been JUDDDing for 48 weeks now, and am down 46 pounds. So just about 1 pound per week.

Sure, I would have liked to lose 2 pounds per week, or 3 pounds per week, and been at this point quicker. But most important to me is that I am at this point AT ALL!

Perhaps a lot of it is what our perception of 'slow' is. I got used to the idea of 2 pounds per week from my Weight Watcher days. That was branded as a reasonable rate of weight loss, but we were always applauded for losing quicker/more. That equals better in our society.

Then, with competitions like 'The Biggest Loser', we got introduced to the idea of being able to lose massive amounts of weight, week after week, if you just 'really worked at it'. I think it plays a lot to the Protestant work ethic so prevalent in America(regardless of one's own personal religion). We think hard work equals virtue and success.

Well, I am happy to do this the easy, lazy, non-virtuous way!
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/163.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Well said, Sirtain.
All these posts are very encouraging for me.
Thank you to each of you!
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshine_icicles
Stats: Current 160, Goal 140
Start Date: 12/12/13
JUDDD has been the only program (and I've tried several!!) where I could lose anything at all.

I'm not the typical "dieter" or so my physician always tells me. I'm not 30 yet, and I'm 5'8 and currently 157 pounds. My highest weight ever?? 164 pounds 40 weeks pregnant (five years ago!!)

I've tried meetings and meal plans. No carb and gluten free. All sorts of exersize boot camp and tv trainers. Not a single one worked. (Although insanity did get me a nice butt. A 160 pound butt, still.)

So my doc suggested JUDDD. This woe has been the only thing that has never yoyo'd. I don't go up and down on the scale. If one pound disappears...it's gone for good. Not four pounds gone and then three back on like I was getting. Not gaining excess water and then shedding it and counting that as a loss.

To be honest, this has been VERY slow. I started in December. But I'll take slow and permanent vs quick and fleeting any day.
Sunshine_icicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #15

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I lost quickly when I began but I had been LC for 10 years and had only 12 lbs or so to lose. I lost over Xmas and New Year and couldn't believe how fast it seemed.

Now when I try to lose 4 or 5 pounds it isn't as fast. But neither am I as diligent as I was at the beginning.

I am in maintenance even while trying to lose a couple of pounds. So I take things pretty easily.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I've done Stillman's VLC and I've done Dukan. Those are the only LC diets I've done. With Dukan I lost 14 pounds the first 10 days and at the end of one month I had lost 20 pounds. That is a record for me. So I would say LC is a fast way for me to lose.

However! I was pretty miserable.

I re-started JUDDD on December 20th, so it's been about 1.5 months. I've lost, well re-lost because I gained back some of what I had lost in the latter half of 2013, == anyhoo, in about 6 weeks I have lost 9.4 pounds. That's my weight right now after a DD.

So, compared to VLC, it's slow losing. But as others have said, after LCing the weight comes back on pretty fast, too.

And, I'm so much happier in every way with JUDDD. My losses are consistent and once off, they stay off.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I'm enjoying eating LC right now, and it does feel luxurious even. I am really kind of grateful for the fact that I'm not eating sugar, because I am not tempted to eat out of the vending machine, sweet desserts or candy, or even the delicious donuts my boss brought to work today. And it's a UD. When I was doing JUDDD eating anything and everything I wanted on UDs, I could never resist sweets and carbs. It was my downfall...I want to go back to rotations because I love the DD feeling, and I hope combining JUDDD with LC is as wonderful as I suspect it will be.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
I think that my losses have been slow on JUDDD since I have learned how forgiving it can be. I switch my days around too much and eat at maintenance and above a lot. I stop doing DD's when I am running etc, but I really can't stress how fabulous it has all been! I have never felt like I was in control of my eating and now I am. I have always had big weight swings in the past and now I have little weight swings. I know I need to follow JUDDD better to get better results. I struggle with consistency! This is making me think I should be logging in on the weigh in thread again...
Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KaisMama
Stats: 219/206/healthy
Start Date: 01/01/14
Thank you all for your replies. I agree with all of you that whether the pounds are flying off or it's slower going, JUDDD is such a sustainable WOE. It's cliche to say but I really don't feel like I am on a "diet". And this is the first time I can actually visualize myself being a tiny person. I'm so very thankful and blessed I've found JUDDD and this forum.
KaisMama is offline   Reply With Quote