Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Her legs looked way better at the finale. Like you said, Frosty, she probably went lower than she intends to stay, in order to win. I don't blame her for that!
Several different former contestants have said that everyone immediately gains 20-30 lbs after the final weigh-in. That would be about right for her, I think.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
She lost 45lbs in 90 days (post ranch)? Good grief.

I've never seen the Biggest Loser. She's very obviously young enough not to have loose skin problems, judging by the finale photograph.

There has been at least one academic study of the impact on the metabolisms of the participants. The paper is: Metabolic Slowing with Massive Weight Loss despite Preservation of Fat-Free Mass

Yoni Freedhoff of Weighty Matters blog discusses the paper which throws up some interesting findings. You might guess what these findings are from his somewhat dramatic blog post title: The Biggest Loser Destroys Participants' Metabolisms. (I've highlighted some sections in bold.)

Quote:
The term metabolic adaptation is given to the phenomenon whereby when a person loses a certain percentage of weight, their metabolisms slow by greater amounts. This process may be theoretically accelerated with more rapid weight loss as a consequence of the rapidly losing body metabolizing calorie burning muscle along with fat to make up for its massive energy deficit.

And as far as rapid non-surgical weight loss goes, there's probably no weight loss program more rapid than that of the television show The Biggest Loser, where it’s not uncommon for contestants to lose upwards of 150lbs at an averaged pace of nearly 10lbs a week.

Of course what’s different about the Biggest Loser as compared with most other non-televised rapid weight loss programs is the incredibly large amount of exercise concurrently involved, along with an almost certainly severe degree of stress, peer pressure and dietary restriction given the team and competitive nature of the show ...

So is the weight lost on the Biggest Loser...healthy? Does the huge amount of exercise protect contestants against the show doing marked damage to their metabolisms?

The answer to both of those questions certainly appears to be, "No".

[In the study cited above], Darcy Johannsen and friends studied the impact 7 months of Biggest Loser weight loss had on the resting and total energy expenditures of 16 participants. They used all the latest gadgets to do so including indirect calorimetry and doubly labeled water. So what happened? By week 6 participants had lost 13% of their body weight and by week 30, 39%. More importantly by week 6 participants metabolisms had slowed by 244 more calories per day than would have been expected simply as a function of their weight loss and by week 30, by 504 more.

That's basically a meal's worth of calories a day that Biggest Loser contestants no longer burn as a direct consequence of their involvement. How do you think you'd do at maintaining your weight if you ate an extra meal a day?
Freedhoff does quite a neat comparison with a study of people who exhibited similar dramatic weight loss due to surgery but hadn't accompanied it with the high volume, high intensity exercise of Biggest Loser contestants.
Quote:
But maybe that's typical. After all, metabolic adaptations are a known consequence to weight loss - couldn't that be all we're seeing here? I guess it's too bad there's no control group the study could have used for comparison.

Actually there kind of is. Bariatric surgery patients lose massive amounts of weight in a hurry as well, and they generally do so without the inane extremes of lifestyle endorsed by the Biggest Loser. If there were a study on the impact bariatric surgery losses had on resting and total energy expenditure, that would certainly offer some insight as to the healthfulness of Biggest Loser's weight loss program.

...There is such a study. Published in 2003 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition researchers looked at the impact bariatric surgical losses had on the resting and total energy expenditures of 30 men and women whose pre-operative average BMIs of 50 were within 1 point of the Biggest Loser contestants' averages of 49, and who lost a Biggest Loser style average of 117.5lbs. And guess what? While resting energy expenditure indeed was shown to slow, it didn't slow down in excess of what would be expected by weight loss alone. In other words? Looking at these two studies, Biggest Loser style weight loss destroys metabolisms dramatically more than does bariatric surgery and does so in huge excess of what would be expected simply as a consequence of losing weight
There are some caveats that Freedhoff notes. Nonetheless, interesting. (NB I did follow up the publication to see if any letters had been published that disputed the findings or queried any of the assessments or their timings but none had.)
The Johannsen study concludes:
Quote:
Unfortunately, fat free mass preservation did not prevent the slowing of metabolic rate during active weight loss, which may predispose to weight regain unless the participants maintain high levels of physical activity or significant caloric restriction

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-06-2014 at 09:30 PM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:23 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
She was on the thin side of what she would be, but it was done for the show and to win the money.

She will put on a bit more and round out and look great--now, can she maintain it
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:35 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
People lose a lb a day on HCG all the time, so maybe that's what she did.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
I stopped watching the show seasons ago. I started reading about what they do behind the scenes to get the weight down. Then, that one season, they included children (not the same plan) and that scared the crap out of me. I have 2 teens and they feel the pressures. Both could probably lose a few (my DS15 lost 40 following a loose version of JUDDD), but that is NOT how I want them to see weight loss.

LIFE Happens. Normal people can't spend 6-8 hours working out each and every day! It isn't healthy or feesible.

The show is just that, A SHOW! It isn't a good example of how anyone should try to lose weight.

I follow JUDDD, but I truly believe, the only way to lose weight is to eat less and more more! Exercise is just a small component. I spent years trying to Exercise my Eating away. For me, it just doesn't work that way. For me it is 95% what I eat, 5% how I move.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-24.html

Last edited by zipp2play; 02-07-2014 at 05:48 AM..
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I finally watched the finale last night and I didn't think she looked anorexic, but definitely on the too thin side. Her arms looked a little bony, but her legs were trim and muscular. Having an anorexic in my family, she is nowhere near that.

I do hope this was all for the win, the money, and that she will rehydrate and gain some additional weight now for "real life". I don't know how she could help but do so - this would be really difficult to maintain over the long term.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

I agree, Carol. I wasn't trying to say that it looks fine to be that thin, or that she didn't probably go to extremes to get that small, but that it was probably to win the competition AND that she will probably put on a few pounds now that it's done. I do think her legs look much better now than they did at 150.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
I stopped watching the show seasons ago. I started reading about what they do behind the scenes to get the weight down. Then, that one season, they included children (not the same plan) and that scared the crap out of me. I have 2 teens and they feel the pressures. Both could probably lose a few (my DS15 lost 40 following a loose version of JUDDD), but that is NOT how I want them to see weight loss.

LIFE Happens. Normal people can't spend 6-8 hours working out each and every day! It isn't healthy or feesible.

The show is just that, A SHOW! It isn't a good example of how anyone should try to lose weight.

I follow JUDDD, but I truly believe, the only way to lose weight is to eat less and more more! Exercise is just a small component. I spent years trying to Exercise my Eating away. For me, it just doesn't work that way. For me it is 95% what I eat, 5% how I move.
Like you, I stopped watching seasons ago. It was discouraging to see a guy lose 44 pounds in one week!

I never heard about any of the crazy behind the scenes things they do to lose weight.

Do tell a few please! Inquiring minds want to know. LOL! It will make me feel better about never, ever wanting to suffer that way.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Like you, I stopped watching seasons ago. It was discouraging to see a guy lose 44 pounds in one week!
There can actually be several weeks between episodes. They don't really want you to know that.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh my!!!!! I just used Google and found an article titled: The Truth About The Biggest Loser. It's on a website about health for the whole self. If you Google those two together you might find it.

I HAD NO IDEA!!! They do master cleanses, colonics, and close to final weigh in they starve themselves, live in a sauna and/or wear rubber suits while exercising. One guy lost 10 to 13 pounds in one day (water weight and becoming totally dehydrated). I won't tell you the scariest part.

If you ever though fast weight loss where you have to suffer and torture yourself is ok, just read that article.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 02-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
There can actually be several weeks between episodes. They don't really want you to know that.
I listened closely and they surely wanted you to think it was just one week. And there we have it! Nothing "real" about "reality tv".
Old 02-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Yam-Yam, I found that article. I've never been able to enjoy that show...now I feel that way more than ever. Ugh!!!
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

How is that supposed to encourage people in real life? I only commented on the girl's weight in this thread, but I stopped watching BL years ago. I stand by my comments concerning her appearance, but I don't condone the methods used by this show.

ETA: When I said "I just watched it", I watched a small video clip of the winner coming on stage in the finale.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 02-08-2014 at 06:33 AM..
Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Seeing past contestants come back on the current seasons to motivate and encourage the current contestants it is fairly obvious that almost none of them maintain the loss they achieved on the show and gain a significant amount back. They rarely go on to lose more and actually get to their goals, there are some but not many. It would be interesting to see the percentage of contestants that reach goal and keep it off long term compared to the non-contestants ability to do the same. The methods and techniques they employ on the show to lose weight just don't work in the real world and are unsustainable.

I used to watch it as motivation and I would actually do a 2 hour light weight workout during the show, in front of the TV each week. So it was part of my success, but I don't think I ever saw anything on the show that I thought I should try myself. I liked the transformations and the success, but did not like the drama and actually fast forwarded through some of it, especially the drama encouraged by the trainers for better TV.

I still watch it, if only to criticize it, but in a small way it was part of my success so I can't say I haven't gotten any value out of it. I've also watched entire seasons of the Bachelor and the Bachelorette! So I might just watch too much TV and make bad choices in what I watch!!

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Mike, this is a great post! I do much the same. I watch BL, but I won't just sit down and watch it. I use it as hula hooping time, or at the very least, stretches. Makes me feel just a tiny bit better about watching garbage like that.

I do find watching transformations motivational overall. But I agree that I don't want to do it the way they do. I must admit, the timeframe has appealed to me from time to time, but really, I'd rather do it slowly and healthfully, and have it stay off. I wonder how dependent they feel after the show, and how the dramatic drop off of advice, support, etc. impacts them.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I must admit, the timeframe has appealed to me from time to time, but really, I'd rather do it slowly and healthfully, and have it stay off.
This is from the Lyle McDonald article I mentioned before:

Quote:
BL: For reference – While a TV episode is 7 days in length that is not the case behind the scenes. So some ‘weeks’ the numbers are larger because some weeks we had 14 days between weigh ins. My season if you lasted until the final day you would be on the ranch 101 days (I got voted off on episode 7 and lost 83 pounds in 62 days) This season is it like 121 days start to finish. And all that gets condensed into a 12-14 weeks show airing schedule.

My comments: This is a bit deceptive on the part of the show in my opinion since it’s made to appear that these massive weight losses are occurring every 7 days which clearly they are not.
It's still pretty fast weight loss but not as fast as it appears.

The article is called "Biggest Loser Feedback" if anyone is interested in looking for it. It's mostly about their workout schedule and what they ate.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
Seeing past contestants come back on the current seasons to motivate and encourage the current contestants it is fairly obvious that almost none of them maintain the loss they achieved on the show and gain a significant amount back. They rarely go on to lose more and actually get to their goals, there are some but not many. It would be interesting to see the percentage of contestants that reach goal and keep it off long term compared to the non-contestants ability to do the same. The methods and techniques they employ on the show to lose weight just don't work in the real world and are unsustainable.

I used to watch it as motivation and I would actually do a 2 hour light weight workout during the show, in front of the TV each week. So it was part of my success, but I don't think I ever saw anything on the show that I thought I should try myself. I liked the transformations and the success, but did not like the drama and actually fast forwarded through some of it, especially the drama encouraged by the trainers for better TV.

I still watch it, if only to criticize it, but in a small way it was part of my success so I can't say I haven't gotten any value out of it. I've also watched entire seasons of the Bachelor and the Bachelorette! So I might just watch too much TV and make bad choices in what I watch!!
I read an article from the today show that had a "biggest loser, where are they now" follow up on quite a few of the contestants. I am not sure I can post it here, but it's out there!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
I found the article and some did a decent job of maintaining, more women than men I think, and some gained >20lbs back and a few lost some more. Based on the article and the limited feedback from some of the seasons it would seem more did well than I thought after the show. But with 10-14 contestants per season and the limited responses you could also assume that the others didn't want to report on gaining back and so chose not to respond limiting the responses to only favorable responses.
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote