Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
What makes some DDs easier?

This is weird ... it's almost 4 pm, and I've had not the faintest bit of hunger or even felt like eating for other reasons this DD. This has happened before, but not in a really long time.

In contrast, Wednesday was supposed to be a down day, but I just couldn't do it! I felt blah, no energy, negative, and just off all day (for no apparent reason), and it fell apart at dinner time when I had my DD dinner and just couldn't stick with that. That is rare for me too. So it became an up day and Thursday became a down day, but the regular kind, the 99% kind: when I'm fine for a good chunk of the day and kind of hungry and wanting to eat more for part of the day (but don't).

I'm wondering ... why are some down days just easier?

Knowing that it's like that, sometimes I just go with it, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I might use that DD range, or even on a rare occasion turn a DD into a UD just because a DD isn't in me that day... or sometimes, on the flip side, I'm just not even hungry for my DD calories. I just wish I knew why some DDs are easier than others!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
No idea, but it's happened to me too. Yesterday, I planned to have an UD and ended the day under 700 calories. It was just an "easy" day, so I went with it.

***Note to newbies, I'm in maintenance and don't alternate every other day, so I didn't do two DDs in a row, just had an unscheduled one.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I know, for me, the best way for me to get through a DD is to stay super busy and not around people who are eating. My barn days are the best DDs because there is constant activity and no food.
However, that does not explain why some DDs I can go without hardly eating anything, and others I'm ravenous and just barely holding on by my fingernails. It just explains my personal coping strategy either way.
I wish I knew, because what ever it is, I'd do it more.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BroadwayBaby
Stats: 265/224/165
WOE: Lost 35 on WW/-6 on JUDDD...so far
Start Date: 1/18/2014-JUDDD
Good question...also I was pondering today (and maybe some of you veterans can answer) if DD's are easier depending on the season? For example in the summer, sometimes when it's hot, I don't want to eat a thing but maybe SF popsicles, salads or ice teas. In the winter when it's cold I just want to eat, eat, eat! And even after eating a filling bowl of hot soup, I want something to CHEW that is salty and crunchy. Like I want a piece of toast with my soup or crackers. So since I started JUDDD 2 weeks ago at the peak of this arctic bs, I'm wondering if for me, it will be easier come hot and humid weather to do DD's.
BroadwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
My easiest DDs are when I'm super busy AND when it's not a day or two before or at TOM. The hardest ones are over the weekend when my family is around or if I'm home & bored all day. Most of the times, I find this is completely predictable for me. If it's a really starving DD, it's always a hormonal thing.
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #6

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBaby View Post
Good question...also I was pondering today (and maybe some of you veterans can answer) if DD's are easier depending on the season? For example in the summer, sometimes when it's hot, I don't want to eat a thing but maybe SF popsicles, salads or ice teas. In the winter when it's cold I just want to eat, eat, eat! And even after eating a filling bowl of hot soup, I want something to CHEW that is salty and crunchy. Like I want a piece of toast with my soup or crackers. So since I started JUDDD 2 weeks ago at the peak of this arctic bs, I'm wondering if for me, it will be easier come hot and humid weather to do DD's.
We do have more people struggling right now (including me) and we're throwing around the idea that it's because of all the holiday feasting in November and December, but I've actually wondered myself if it has anything to do with the cold. I don't remember having a hard time last winter, but .
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #7

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Count me in on the struggling club. Like you, Dawn, I didn't struggle at all last year, and was losing really well, but had so much further to go too.

I've been wondering if it's been the cloudy/gray weather getting me down lately, or maybe it's completely hormonal. I've been feeling PMS-ey, but no TOM yet. All I know is that it's pissing me off to not feel motivated and to feel DDs are hard. Just not myself.

Christina, I was so glad to see this thread, because I've been puzzling over this too. I even wonder if it could be our bodies' telling us they need something specific, but the danger there is that it becomes a rationalization to eat more, or worse.

All my normal tools have been failing me lately. I'm really hoping for a great DD today! And I'm hoping for any other JB strugglers out there!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/125/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
For me I think a non-hungry DD is attributable to being in ketosis. If I keep the carbs under control on my Up Day, my Down Days are a lot easier. But then I've been a keto-adapted low carber for many years so I don't know if that helps others who have a different way of eating.

Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
In addition to coming out of the protracted Holiday season and the inclement weather, I'm going to mention something that may be relevant to some people.

A few JBs seem to be coping with unsettled work, home, or family environments at present (whether it's a new job, a re-organisation with additional responsibilities, a child who's having a tricky time or non-stop cleaning because of removals and flooding*) and I wonder if this is disturbing the rhythm of some of us.

I'm going to throw in the notion of allostasis again - which argues that we are part of many environments and sometimes we respond to changes in those environments, hormonally, behaviourally or physically in ways that make some sense but don't necessarily help us. (Extended comment on allostasis, #5 and 10.)

*If I never see another box of sugar soap, I shall be a happy person.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/176/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Oh Man, i was just thinking about it this morning! I wondered if (besdies being busy) it had anything to do with what kind of UD we had or what kind of food we consumed the night before!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
Oh Man, i was just thinking about it this morning! I wondered if (besdies being busy) it had anything to do with what kind of UD we had or what kind of food we consumed the night before!
Very possibly for some of us. If it was heavy on foodstuffs that play ping pong with people's blood sugar or hormones then maybe there is a protracted version of the so-called 2nd meal effect.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
I don't know! I keep thinking the same thing. Some days are easy breezy and other days I can make it through the entire day them wham I want to eat, eat, eat. Maybe it's the season change or just every day life stressors. You just have to keep telling yourself that tomorrow is a new day.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #13

I'm going to try something new tomorrow on my DD. I'm going to sit and meditate for a minute or two on why losing this weight is important to me, and how good DDs is what will get me there. Whenever I think about eating, or feel slightly dissatisfied that it's a DD, that will be my strategy. I think maybe I've gotten too caught up in the day to day routine, and have let thy "why" escape the forefront of my mind. Gotta get that mindset back.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
I don't know! I keep thinking the same thing. Some days are easy breezy and other days I can make it through the entire day them wham I want to eat, eat, eat. Maybe it's the season change or just every day life stressors. You just have to keep telling yourself that tomorrow is a new day.
SO TRUE!!!! Don't let one day or even two throw you off track. It's so easy with this WOE to get right back on track!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I'm going to try something new tomorrow on my DD. I'm going to sit and meditate for a minute or two on why losing this weight is important to me, and how good DDs is what will get me there. Whenever I think about eating, or feel slightly dissatisfied that it's a DD, that will be my strategy. I think maybe I've gotten too caught up in the day to day routine, and have let thy "why" escape the forefront of my mind. Gotta get that mindset back.

Awesome idea!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:27 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I like this! I have a snow day today and I'm freaking out a little about my DD, but I've told myself I can go up to 500 calories. I'm going to try and sleep so I don't have to think about it.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #17

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
Carol, let me know how that goes.

I seem to have either a HORRIBLE DD or an AWESOME ONE! There's no inbetween for me. I do think that the weather isn't helping right now. Not able to get out much so I can distract myself as easily as normal.

I have tried everything you can think of for UD evenings to see if it makes a difference. I have reactive hypoglycemia, so I am constantly vigil of low blood sugar. I can't see a consistent reason for any of it. Waiting and eating XXX calories as I go to bed, doesn't help. Eating a big end of day meal and nothing after, doesn't help. Having an adult beverage or NOT having an adult beverage, no difference. Mood, for me, can make a difference, I try to start each day CELEBRATING that it's an UD or DD (whichever), but some DD's I am just like....Mad, because I am not supposed to eat. I know, I am a MESS! LOL

I just keep plugging away. I allow my DD to be a range. 400-800c. Roll with it as needed. Then again, I can't seem to get the last 10-15 off for anything.

Monica -Come see my journey!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
For me, so much of when I'm having a hard DD is because of my head! But when the scale shows either no or slow progress, I get frustrated and it makes a DD daunting. The "stick with it" attitude means a typically good DD, where as a "this is going nowhere" attitude means a very hard DD.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
-Hot beverages or broths are great
-Spicy food feels me up faster definitely
-Creamier low fat soups
-Egg whites with spicy salsa
-Something I can eat a lot of like Lettuce or cabbage when I'm wanting something substantial.
-low sugar items at very least do not make me MORE hungry LOL!
-low fat/sugar peanut butter on an apple or a piece of low cal bread really suppresses my hunger.
- Lot of water, tea, ect..

And my fav? My new antibiotics (Cipro?) That make me kinda ill
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
P.S. I'm glad we're not alone in this whole difficult feeling. It's tough a lot of days to maintain 500 calories - life happens! I had a bad night last night and fell asleep still fairly emotional, and you know that feeling when you wake up the next day - you just wanna stay in bed and relax, but you can't. I'm at work right now, and I really just wanna dive into those 30 doughnuts that my co-worker brought, but nope - I grabbed one, and I'm hiding in my office, staying as busy as I can until I can go home, have my small dinner, and THEN relax!

2014 so far has been a toughy.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
I just posted in the February (re) beginner's thread that I am naming my DDs as FREE DAYS.
I am going to repeat all day how much I enjoy the freedom from food decisions, obsessions and so on.
I am going to self talk so that I look forward to my FREE days as a wonderful thing.
Today is my first FREE DAY since nearly a year ago.
I am so happy to be back here and I love my FREE DAY. One of my goals for my re-dedication to JUDDD is to only post and think positive things about my FDs. I am sure some days I will have to look hard for a positive, but I am a resourceful person and I will always be able to find a positive for sure.
Big hugs.
It is time.

Quote from SoHappy: I realized the world would never run out of goodies. I could have them forever. I didn't have to eat them every day, every Up Day, or even every week anymore.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #22

I love reading everyone's ideas and strategies here. And also a supportive and welcoming place to freely discuss those "not-so-good" feelings we all have from time to time.

My idea of focusing on why I'm doing this is really helping me today. I feel super-motivated and am keeping in mind why I want this weight off. I hope it keeps working!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

LCG,
I think your idea is wonderful.
I am practicing it, myself.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patkid View Post
I just posted in the February (re) beginner's thread that I am naming my DDs as FREE DAYS.
I am going to repeat all day how much I enjoy the freedom from food decisions, obsessions and so on.
I am going to self talk so that I look forward to my FREE days as a wonderful thing.
Today is my first FREE DAY since nearly a year ago.
I am so happy to be back here and I love my FREE DAY. One of my goals for my re-dedication to JUDDD is to only post and think positive things about my FDs. I am sure some days I will have to look hard for a positive, but I am a resourceful person and I will always be able to find a positive for sure.
Big hugs.
I really, really like this! I'm going to adopt it. Today is a good DD for me. I was thinking it is because I had such a happy and filling UD yesterday.

But, come to think of it, I do feel FREE today from food worries. Yay!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

I am so happy tonight. I am already showered and in Jammies and reading on my iPad in bed.
I feel happy and optimistic and determined. I had a wonderful day of not thinking about food. It is wonderful to ponder going to sleep without saying my usual litany of how I am a terrible person with no hope for improvement.
I have hope.
You will never know how much I appreciate this forum.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
^^^^^^This makes me feel so happy, too, this evening.

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patkid View Post
I just posted in the February (re) beginner's thread that I am naming my DDs as FREE DAYS. I am going to repeat all day how much I enjoy the freedom from food decisions, obsessions and so on. I am going to self talk so that I look forward to my FREE days as a wonderful thing.
What a WONDERFUL idea!!! I think maybe the "Down" Day does imply negative things and can make some of them a bit more difficult than others.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:43 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: Your guess is as good as mine...
Start Date: Start date: Constantly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I know, for me, the best way for me to get through a DD is to stay super busy and not around people who are eating. My barn days are the best DDs because there is constant activity and no food.
However, that does not explain why some DDs I can go without hardly eating anything, and others I'm ravenous and just barely holding on by my fingernails. It just explains my personal coping strategy either way.
I wish I knew, because what ever it is, I'd do it more.
Oh man this is me to a tee! If I'm busy food is the last thing on my mind. I have also been having the "I'm starving to death" DDs lately though.

Can I come help muck out the stalls, I adore horses and miss my riding days, I was taking lessons till I found out I was pregnant with our first kiddo (who is now 19!), havn't been on a horse since...
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Can I come help muck out the stalls, I adore horses and miss my riding days, () havn't been on a horse since...
Ditto. Would still love to have a horse again, but couldn't problem get on the poor thing!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MaryEllenC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
What a WONDERFUL idea!!! I think maybe the "Down" Day does imply negative things and can make some of them a bit more difficult than others.
I agree! Sometimes I refer to them as my "low-cal" days because it doesn't sound as depressing.
MaryEllenC is offline   Reply With Quote