Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Lets set a goal for all the exercise we are doing (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/821977-lets-set-goal-all-exercise-we-doing.html)

Eieio 02-01-2014 08:19 AM

Lets set a goal for all the exercise we are doing

Mine is to do hand stand!:jumpjoy:
To reach this goal?
I plan to do upper body exercise.
This is going to take more than 3 months!
My goal is in 6 months. So my plan to do hand stand on July 4th.
OH yes!
Please share ur goal.:high5:

jbpretty 02-01-2014 08:27 AM

My plan is to take 1,000,000 steps. That's 10,000 steps for 100 days. :)

Babsbabs 02-01-2014 09:07 AM

I have no shortage of goals this year. One of them is to run 50km on June 1st. My hope is to do this as a fit looking person without a lot of extra weight on me. Either way it's happening,

Carly 02-01-2014 09:47 AM

I'd love to run a 5K, but don't have medical clearance to that yet.
I plan to contact my surgeon and ask if thinks it may be doable.

Eieio 02-01-2014 01:04 PM

Nice goals.
I remember my first 5k -3.2 miles like it was this morning.
I asked the person collecting money if there was a bathroom to use on the run?
She did very well at hiding her lol no:)
I didn't even know really how far a mile was at that time. Good pl days

Eieio 02-01-2014 02:14 PM

I googled how to learn to do hand stands.
I had forgot how weak my wrist are. but that ain't stopping me.
When I told dh of my much thought out decision before I stared my goal idea with him.
He looks at me a little odd and said "u mean a head stand."
My exercise ball will be helpful in all the levels of learning.
Just being up side down a little is, hohummm, different.

Babsbabs 02-01-2014 04:39 PM

At my yoga class a few of the women are doing headstands before class. I was thinking that would be a challenge. Handstands should be amazing to be able to do!

Yennie 02-01-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16782186)
I'd love to run a 5K, but don't have medical clearance to that yet.
I plan to contact my surgeon and ask if thinks it may be doable.

Could you walk it Carly? There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with walking one!! If you aren't allowed the concussion of running? 3.1 miles, ran or walked, is 3.1 miles more than those who never started!

micmal 02-01-2014 05:27 PM

Hmm my goal is to ruck march every Friday. Usually we do long runs on Friday in my unit but yesterday we did 4.5 mile ruck march with a weight limit of 50 pounds. At the time it felt good carrying the weight on my back but this morning was a different story..on a good note I kept up and beat most the guys in my company...a lot of the guys were laughing cause they were not expecting my short legs to move so fast.happy Saturday everyone!

BroadwayBaby 02-01-2014 07:29 PM

I want to learn how to do a flawless cartwheel before my birthday on July 21st. I've always thought I was too fat and too tall to do one...by my birthday I won't be "too fat" anymore! ;)

Yennie 02-01-2014 11:20 PM

I would like to run at least 30 miles a month. I'd really like to increase that by 10 miles each month too so 30 in Feb, 40 in March, 50 in April, etc. There are people who run 30 in a week so it should be doable. With the weather improving and staying light longer, plus my gym opening up soon (treadmill, ack!) this is a goal I should be able to meet. Just gotta get off my rump and DO IT!

jdforshort 02-02-2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16783029)
I would like to run at least 30 miles a month. I'd really like to increase that by 10 miles each month too so 30 in Feb, 40 in March, 50 in April, etc. There are people who run 30 in a week so it should be doable. With the weather improving and staying light longer, plus my gym opening up soon (treadmill, ack!) this is a goal I should be able to meet. Just gotta get off my rump and DO IT!

This should be easy peasy for you my girl,:up: although time may be an issue with all the other exercises you do!
I joined online challenges couple of times last year and walked 175miles and 184 miles/month. It was wonderful! Then went on vacation and never joined a challenge again! Oh, yes and I have walked couple of 10Ks for Sickle Cell! You have given me food for thought, I'll have to look for walking marathons! Maximum , I've walked recently is 15.4 miles, 26 miles may be too much!

SlowSure 02-02-2014 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdforshort (Post 16783043)
You have given me food for thought, I'll have to look for walking marathons! Maximum , I've walked recently is 15.4 miles, 26 miles may be too much!

Irritatingly, most walking marathons don't allow them but do you ever use walking poles (Nordic/Alpine or similar)?

I use them for getting about in general because my knees partially dislocate on a regular basis, even when I'm just walking or standing up from a seated position. However, they can be helpful for helping you walk with dodgy knees and allow you to keep your mobility. As ever, technique is hugely important, but it's astonishing how much more nimble you can be, how much less taxing some ground is - and how much further you can go.

Any Nordic walking groups in your local area?

jdforshort 02-02-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16783085)
Irritatingly, most walking marathons don't allow them but do you ever use walking poles (Nordic/Alpine or similar)?

I use them for getting about in general because my knees partially dislocate on a regular basis, even when I'm just walking or standing up from a seated position. However, they can be helpful for helping you walk with dodgy knees and allow you to keep your mobility. As ever, technique is hugely important, but it's astonishing how much more nimble you can be, how much less taxing some ground is - and how much further you can go.

Any Nordic walking groups in your local area?

Slow, I don't uses anything. I see people on my walks with those. I just hate carrying things in my hands! I don't even keep a water bottle, so generally walk around the parks with drinking water fountains. This is a very small town, I doubt there is a Nordic walking group. But even if there is, I'm more of a solitary walker. This is my time to be one with nature and my maker - so to speak! I did a google search for a hiking group and the nearest I could find was 60-70 miles away!

Carly 02-03-2014 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16782737)
Could you walk it Carly? There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with walking one!! If you aren't allowed the concussion of running? 3.1 miles, ran or walked, is 3.1 miles more than those who never started!

I walk 4-6 miles already- sometimes 7. I want to RUN! However, that may be frowned upon, but I'm going to ask.

Eieio 02-03-2014 07:57 AM

ENCOURAGING goals everybody

Love the one million steps goal JBpretty!
Running was my main stress reliever, head clearer, hang out with friends, jogging along-so freeing, jogging with dh..
It all stops since I ran my knees into the ground...Carly I'm concerned with you on ground running. Running on a treadmill is totally different than out on the street, concrete, black top- oh ouch.
The ground doesn't propel you.
But out of the group of 6-7 people of friend runners, I'm the only one that received the knee pain, lucky I guess:)
New runners do run-walk 5k.
Even the 1 mile fun runs are run-walkers, Gota start that way.
Experiencing the atmosphere is contagious.
I plan someday to start again doing the fun runs, but walk only.

Cartwheels totally understand wanting to accomplish those. I use to CW everywhere, my last time was a couple years ago, I still got it:laugh:
Good luck with that goal BB! I remember getting a run at then is easier. Some people can stand still and WC. I always had to get a little side jog going.

Slowsure I've never gotten to kayak. I'm sure I would love it!!
The runs I have done several 5k's 3 half Marathone's allow strollers, not sure about the walking poles. Most walkers, slower pace entries file up at the back of the crowd. I always was about in the middle of the pack.
Hope everybody gets to experience the fun run-1 mike run up to 5k if that your wish....you willl love it! All sizes, ages, just happy people.
They all encourage each other, even little kids will say "good job" :heart:
Runners are happy people!:high5:

Gosh dislocated knees and shoulders:p yikes that would be terrible. Be careful guys!

Terri

Babsbabs 02-03-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16784353)
I walk 4-6 miles already- sometimes 7. I want to RUN! However, that may be frowned upon, but I'm going to ask.

I hope that you get the all clear on running if that is what you want to do Carly. My friend had a tree land on him and broke his back 20 years or so ago and he has been running marathons with me for years now. He needs surgery to fuse some more vertebrae in his neck (not due to running/ just something he was avoiding doing until he had to from the previous accident). Everyone has different issues of course but maybe you can. He does a lot of core strengthening as well. I wear Hoka One running shoes for my really long runs and they really cushion the running impact. They look a little funny but maybe something helpful if they say it is ok for you to try.

DrwhoTardisRose 02-03-2014 05:05 PM

I am doing the gazelle trainer:) I scored one off craigslist for $40!! I dropped all my weight after my son with a Gazelle...but, gave it away years ago...glad I was able to find another one. I am doing 3 days a week 30 minutes at a time and doing weights 2 days a week.

Eieio 02-04-2014 09:54 AM

I had to google both hoka shoes and gazelle trainer. The G trainer looks awesome! Very nice on joints. I want the shoes Babs thanks!
I'm using the exercise ball everyday-ish.
My blubber thighs and cheeks are sore, so I'm pleased.
I'm going to do a hand stand!
We have a store that is called the Flip Shop. People, kids love the bounce around on huge air mattress. Im hoping they can help me with my hand stand project in a bout a month or two. First I have to get stronger in my arms.

ladybarometer 02-04-2014 11:56 AM

My goal is to actually make it out to the classes I love.
Monday: Zumba
Thursday: Kickboxing
Saturday: Strength and Zumba

KeirasMom 02-04-2014 08:16 PM

I may have been overly ambitious. I'm doing alright with the hula hooping (in small increments) but can't seem to fit in much treadmill time.

Yennie 02-04-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16784353)

I hear ya. I know its not the same, but regardless kudos to you for that much walking. My mom is a huge walker, and has done several 1/2s walking. I walked the ones I did while pregnant - my OB didn't want my heart rate that high being preggers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babsbabs (Post 16784734)
I hope that you get the all clear on running if that is what you want to do Carly. My friend had a tree land on him and broke his back 20 years or so ago and he has been running marathons with me for years now. He needs surgery to fuse some more vertebrae in his neck (not due to running/ just something he was avoiding doing until he had to from the previous accident). Everyone has different issues of course but maybe you can. He does a lot of core strengthening as well. I wear Hoka One running shoes for my really long runs and they really cushion the running impact. They look a little funny but maybe something helpful if they say it is ok for you to try.

If those shoes don't work for you, or even if they do, I'd say it would be really important for you to get fitted with proper running shoes if you haven't already. Go to a shop where they know what they're doing (typically an independently owned running store as opposed to a big box chain). They'll do a gait analysis, and some will even have treadmills and the ability to video you. They'll make several suggestions for pairs of shoes to try, let you try them all on and sometimes you can take a quick jog down the sidewalk in them. I'd think, especially for you, the proper shoes would be a MUST HAVE. They are for anyone, really, but so many running ailments can be reduced or eliminated with proper footwear. I would say that for you, it would be mandatory given your back issues.

Babsbabs 02-05-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16787186)
I hear ya. I know its not the same, but regardless kudos to you for that much walking. My mom is a huge walker, and has done several 1/2s walking. I walked the ones I did while pregnant - my OB didn't want my heart rate that high being preggers.

If those shoes don't work for you, or even if they do, I'd say it would be really important for you to get fitted with proper running shoes if you haven't already. Go to a shop where they know what they're doing (typically an independently owned running store as opposed to a big box chain). They'll do a gait analysis, and some will even have treadmills and the ability to video you. They'll make several suggestions for pairs of shoes to try, let you try them all on and sometimes you can take a quick jog down the sidewalk in them. I'd think, especially for you, the proper shoes would be a MUST HAVE. They are for anyone, really, but so many running ailments can be reduced or eliminated with proper footwear. I would say that for you, it would be mandatory given your back issues.

Carly- Yennie is correct. This would actually be the place to start in getting shoes that would be best for anyone starting a running program. The Hoka Ones are just a specialty brand that ultra Runners tend to go to if they require more cushioning and not what the typical recreational runner would purchase. They might not be right for you and a good specialty running store would be the place to get fitted and have your gait looked at. I am just still amazed at how my body feels so much less jarred when distance running in these compared to my Asics that I assume they might be good for other issues, but nothing beats a properly fitted pair of shoes!

Eieio 02-05-2014 08:01 AM

I have gone throughout soooo many pairs of running shoes.
Yes the sports store will have the small treadmill, u will stand of a scale and it measures where ur getting the most pressure on ur feet, how u wear ur feet actually:)
Even meause the fat of the bottom of ur feet. It's a clever scale.
I have found people who love only one brand of shoes and very loyal to them. But will not work for another person, we are so different. I really don't have a favorite shoes. I try them all. I almost bought the frog shoe for my dh for his birthday a few years ago. Glad I didn't! Shoes are a runner/walkers main tool. My most favorite place to run for fun is barefoot on a football field! Very nice! So freeing, lite and the field is soft but firm. Course summer is the best time. Yikes I want summer time to come fast thinking of this now!

Eieio 02-05-2014 09:38 AM

I meant try running/walking on the faux green grass inside area of Football field barefoot.
Not the track barefoot ouchy.

Babsbabs 02-05-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eieio (Post 16787685)
I meant try running/walking on the faux green grass inside area of Football field barefoot.
Not the track barefoot ouchy.

Soft surfaces are so much nicer. Even the snow is better then running on the roads here (if it isn't too deep). Warmer weather would be good! -25 c again here so I am planning to run inside on the treadmill again.

gotitnow 02-06-2014 01:47 AM

:notwrthy::notwrthy: I so admire all you runners!

Phyl:heart:

Eieio 02-06-2014 10:01 AM

kickboxing! I'd love that 10 years ago.

Oh to be young LadyB
Dawn when reading your to do list that ambitious word came to my mind.
Ease up. Sorry about ur back spams. They drop u in ur tracks.
I had those bad for a one week, made tears in my eyes. Laying around was my only method of treatment. I'm well now, but milking it still:). Just scared of re hurting it.
The hula hup could do that to me, the slightest jar to my low back and I'm in for it.
I'm loving he huge exercise ball. I can lay on my back and do knee raises, crunches-ab work galore. The ball supports the back awesome. It feels so good to just lay over it front ways and back ways. That's with staying off my knees.
And friend of mine has a E ball she's never end use. We r planning to get together soon and exercise together. I bought a $8 book that is all E Ball work outs:) who knew.
Actually we r thinking of starting a exercise ball group, come warmer weather. :love:
I just finished my w/o. My thighs cheeks are little sore from starting last week. Nothing terrible like I use to do, over do that is:)

LadyKT 02-06-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotitnow (Post 16788758)
:notwrthy::notwrthy: I so admire all you runners!

Phyl:heart:

Me too - I used to be a runner...many moons ago. I'd run no less than 2 miles a day. Now i'm lucky if I do that in a week!

Becky 02-06-2014 02:34 PM

I'd love to do 5 pull ups, the husband just bought a chin up bar and I want to tackle that sucker! ;)