Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
February JUDDD Newbies

new JUDDD buds! Get support and encouragement here!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Come on over and join in the fun.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jbpretty
Thanks for the welcome! Today was my first day, an UD. I'm a little nervous about tomorrow but I've made a commitment so here it goes. Any tips for my first DD?
jbpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #4

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpretty View Post
Thanks for the welcome! Today was my first day, an UD. I'm a little nervous about tomorrow but I've made a commitment so here it goes. Any tips for my first DD?
Tips:

Stay busy.
Have low calorie foods on hand in case you get uncontrollably hungry.
Coffee, tea, broth--basically hot liquids help.
If you feel hungry and find something to take your mind off of it, it will often pass on its own in 20 minutes.

You'll need to find what works for you to keep you satisfied, so the first couple of weeks will be a learning process. Some do really well on all liquids. Some prefer all protein, or lots of bulky veggies, some do best with tiny amounts of high fat foods.

I personally prefer a mixture of protein and bulk. You can have a really filling meal with 4 oz of fish or lean chicken and a big plateful of veggies for very low calories if you don't add sauces or fats. NF Greek yogurt, Quest bars, canned tuna and plenty of fresh veggies are some of my staples.

I also find I do better with my appetite if I have very strong flavors, but others like to keep DDs very bland. I like a cup of broth with a serrano chili sliced thinly into it. Wendy's chili is great (small is 180 calories) and I add scorpion pepper sauce.

And just remember, it's only one day. You can do anything for one day. Then the following day is an UP DAY!

ETA: There's no failing on JUDDD, so even if you go over your calories the first few down days, it's not a big deal. Do your best, practice the rotations, and they will get easier and easier.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!

Last edited by KeirasMom; 02-01-2014 at 06:39 PM..
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BroadwayBaby
Stats: 265/224/165
WOE: Lost 35 on WW/-6 on JUDDD...so far
Start Date: 1/18/2014-JUDDD
Don't watch any shows on "The Food Network" on DD! I know it sounds silly but it helps me! Why torture yourself with ooey goey cheese or fried things on the old tube while you are trying to do a 500 calorie fast. My other tip would be to read this forum especially DD menu ideas. :0) Good luck!
BroadwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Wendy's chili is great (small is 180 calories) and I add scorpion pepper sauce.
PS. Dawn, I checked out my new PF gym today in Midtown...there's a Wendy's 2 blks away! Yeah DD chili on the go after a workout!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBaby View Post
PS. Dawn, I checked out my new PF gym today in Midtown...there's a Wendy's 2 blks away! Yeah DD chili on the go after a workout!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Any tips for my first DD?

Oh I just thought of another one...if you find a DD staple that you love the taste of, it's filling and pretty easy to either make yourself or buy, then use that A LOT! It helps when you know what you're gonna eat, already know the calorie count and what it takes to cook it or bake it. Read up for ideas on this forum and also over time you'll create your own DD meals based on what you like to eat or cook. I totally love Wendy's chili for a DD meal. I used to work there as a teen and forgot about it but reading the threads on here I was reminded about it (by Dawn) It's only 180 cals (don't get cheese in it) and cheap and quick. I could eat that chili EVERYDAY and not get sick of it! LOL! I also have a couple DD staples I developed myself like my DD breakfast sanny. I make it with 3 tablespoons of eggwhites and 2 tablespoons of pico de gallo. I scramble that up. Then I toast up 2 slices of Trader Joe's Light WW bread (80 cals for 2 slices), 1 slice of WW cheese, 1 slice of Trader Joe's Canadian bacon and the lightest smear of grey poupon. It makes a nice filling breakfast sanny for 180 calories. I like my DD tostadas that I make with a smear of ff refried beans on a baked tortilla with tons of lettuce and pico de gallo and some tabasco. Each tostada totals only 85 calories. And both those things I have eaten almost every DD so far and am still not sick of them! LOL! So find a few tried and true DD favs that you'll always have the ingredients on hand and able to grab quickly when you get hungry. I think having your DD planned is key to success.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: elisheva
Stats: 186/185/130
WOE: 4:3 IF
Start Date: Feb 10, 2014
Hello! I just posted over on the Introductions thread.

My DD will be MWF to start. Tomorrow is my first day --- excited and nervous!! But, I'll keep busy, so hopefully that will help.
elisheva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Hi everyone, I have a question on calorie counting. First off I have never in my life counted calories and have LCed for so long that they never mattered to me until now. I was wondering if you all use a book or something to know what is acceptable low calories. Like BroadwayBaby posted about some refried beans and a tortilla, I never would have thought of that. Plus I need to get used to bringing back these types of carbs. I'm so wired for LC that I don't know where to start with this. Is there a complete list some where on the lowest calorie foods? Sorry but this is all rocket science to me, lol.
Do you write everything down that you eat or do you use an online source to keep track of the calories? Do any of you recommend an app maybe for the android phone for calorie counting.
parrotchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #11

I use an online tracker and it has an app for my Android which works perfectly with my lifestyle. Unfortunately, we're not able to mention the one I use, per the terms of service at LCF. There are others, though, so if you google something like online calorie trackers or some such, several options will pop up.

You'll get used to tracking calories and you'll find your preferential DD foods in time. Many lower carb veggies are also very low calorie (cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, asparagus, etc.), so it might not be as hard as you think. Leaner proteins are great for DDs, fish, chicken, leaner beef and pork cuts.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lola5k
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/JUDD
Start Date: Atkins 2004/JUDDD Feb 2012
Thanks for starting the Februrary thread Kissa...wow one month down already!

to all the new people.

DD today and all gone OK and about to embark onto week 3...hopefully I will see a loss this week pleazzze

Wow Keiras Mum and Carly you both look fab and have done so well...congrats

Last edited by lola5k; 02-02-2014 at 12:46 PM..
lola5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrie jayne
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 2014
[QUOTE=BroadwayBaby;16782931]Oh I just thought of another one...if you find a DD staple that you love the taste of, it's filling and pretty easy to either make yourself or buy, then use that A LOT! It helps when you know what you're gonna eat, already know the calorie count and what it takes to cook it or bake it.

Your hints are great. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Welcome to jbpretty and elisheva. I'm new too (just began my second week). DD's are not as hard as I thought they'd be, though a couple of times I've had to wait out hunger pangs. Not as bad as I'd expected.

I find the shakes make DDs super easy and they are good. I had to switch to real food because of indigestion, but will try them again in a couple of weeks, replacing just one DD meal. Hopefully my body will have adjusted.
carrie jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much KeirasMom, you've been very helpful.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KaisMama
Stats: 219/206/healthy
Start Date: 01/01/14
Hey fellow Juddders!

So I'm not new to the boards, but was not a super active member before. Let me preface this by saying I'm not low carb, even slightly. But I am following Juddd and this Juddd forum seems to be the most active and supportive that I've found of the other diet sites so I'd like to pop in every now and then if that's ok.

I started Judd the beginning of January and have lost 12lbs in January with it. I have to say I absolutely love this WOE because I've always said I have enough willpower to last me through the day and that seems to work out just fine.

Looking to lose 66 more. I'm really exited to see what happens!
KaisMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #16

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Good to have you with us Kaismama, 12 pounds is a wonderful start.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
I'm on my second DD. My first was on Friday and went very well although I had some trouble sleeping.
Today is going great!
I've eaten two TJ low carb wraps with deli turkey and broccoli slaw.
On one, I smeared 2T of TJ's reduced guilt guac. Very filling little meals for me. I still have 200 more cals to eat! I may have a shake or another wrap
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaisMama View Post
So I'm not new to the boards, but was not a super active member before. Let me preface this by saying I'm not low carb, even slightly. But I am following Juddd and this Juddd forum seems to be the most active and supportive that I've found of the other diet sites so I'd like to pop in every now and then if that's ok.

I started Judd the beginning of January and have lost 12lbs in January with it. I have to say I absolutely love this WOE because I've always said I have enough willpower to last me through the day and that seems to work out just fine.

! I'm not low carb either. Many of the juddd buds around here eat carbs.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
This thread is extremely helpful!! Down Days recipes ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisheva View Post
Hello! I just posted over on the Introductions thread.

My DD will be MWF to start. Tomorrow is my first day --- excited and nervous!! But, I'll keep busy, so hopefully that will help.
Check out the link I posted above, and read, read, read the JUDDD board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotchic View Post
Hi everyone, I have a question on calorie counting. First off I have never in my life counted calories and have LCed for so long that they never mattered to me until now. I was wondering if you all use a book or something to know what is acceptable low calories. Like BroadwayBaby posted about some refried beans and a tortilla, I never would have thought of that. Plus I need to get used to bringing back these types of carbs. I'm so wired for LC that I don't know where to start with this. Is there a complete list some where on the lowest calorie foods? Sorry but this is all rocket science to me, lol.
Do you write everything down that you eat or do you use an online source to keep track of the calories? Do any of you recommend an app maybe for the android phone for calorie counting.
I have done it the old school way and write down my calories on a note pad or even a slip of paper every day. I also keep a calculator handy. Google is wonderful for figuring out calories of foods, and also a kitchen scale is invaluable for keeping track of meats and vegs you cook at home. Also, you can eat low carb on JUDDD, but you will have to count your Down Days (and Up Days if you aren't losing like you expect) if you want to stick to the protocol.

[quote=carrie jayne;16783678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBaby View Post
Oh I just thought of another one...if you find a DD staple that you love the taste of, it's filling and pretty easy to either make yourself or buy, then use that A LOT! It helps when you know what you're gonna eat, already know the calorie count and what it takes to cook it or bake it.

Your hints are great. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Welcome to jbpretty and elisheva. I'm new too (just began my second week). DD's are not as hard as I thought they'd be, though a couple of times I've had to wait out hunger pangs. Not as bad as I'd expected.

I find the shakes make DDs super easy and they are good. I had to switch to real food because of indigestion, but will try them again in a couple of weeks, replacing just one DD meal. Hopefully my body will have adjusted.
Carrie Jayne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaisMama View Post

KaisMama, and congrats on your VERY successful January! 12 lbs down is awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
I'm on my second DD. My first was on Friday and went very well although I had some trouble sleeping.
Today is going great!
I've eaten two TJ low carb wraps with deli turkey and broccoli slaw.
On one, I smeared 2T of TJ's reduced guilt guac. Very filling little meals for me. I still have 200 more cals to eat! I may have a shake or another wrap
Sounds like you've got it figured out!! Green!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Librarygirl, this really helps me. Today was my second down day I had a little trouble today with being dizzy and hugry so I added some fat to help. Other than that I woke up today felling great no foggy head, haven't felt good in a while.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

parrotchic!! I'm glad you had a good DD, and that I posted anything that was helpful. I do try. Don't forget, just because you're a doesn't mean you can post in the other threads. More people might "see" you in the daily chat thread (February Daily Chat) and also offer any helpful advice you might need.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

my sleep was pretty terrible again last night.. Any suggestions? Does it get better as the body adjusts to DD's? Ive only had 2 so far
Old 02-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I almost always have a very small hot chocolate before bed. ¼ cup of milk with a (10g) square of dark (90%) chocolate melted in it. It’s about 50 calories, and it’s just enough to stop me being too hungry to sleep.

I have the rest of my calories spread fairly evenly through the day. I know some people save most of them up to have a moderate-sized meal in the evening.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Bummer green.
I can't sleep on empty normality.
How about drinking some hot broth before bed. Only a few calories and will warm the tummy.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
my sleep was pretty terrible again last night.. Any suggestions? Does it get better as the body adjusts to DD's? Ive only had 2 so far
It does get better. I had trouble sleeping at first too, but I think it got better within a week or so.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrie jayne
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
It does get better. I had trouble sleeping at first too, but I think it got better within a week or so.
And I'm sleeping better than before I started JUDDD.
carrie jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

thanks y'all! I'll try the broth or bedtime hot bev tomorrow night.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Were you cold or hungry? Or just wakeful? Are you eating the induction allowance of 500kcals on DD and eating enough on UD?

Apologies for the barrage of questions - it's tricky to speculate without having some additional details.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
I still have trouble falling asleep on DD's. It isn't from being hungry; I just can't get to sleep.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I'm a terrible sleeper in general... Always have been, but I save all my DD eating for bedtime. I have about 100-150 calorie bedtime snack and that helps me sleep.