Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Lots to catch up on here today.

Beverley I love the new Avi, not zombie like at all. You look like a little pixie.

Oceana, Lisa is right, depression is serious. But I also think PMS makes everything worse. I do hope the mediation helps at work. It must be awful to dread work daily.

Dawn, I am sorry you are struggling at work too. Hard to imagine that when we see you looking so lovely and serene in the photo.

The freeze in the States sounds just awful, stay safe.

Our home in the West Country is safe but the town was hit badly by the storm last night. Flooding where there has been none in living memory and damage to some sea walls. (Well, river walls really, but the river is tidal where we are.)

My dear neighbour finally died yesterday evening. Her youngest daughter was with her which was so wonderful, they were very close. Although sad it is not a tragedy. She was 93 and had lost her sight and mobility. She was much loved and will be sadly missed.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #122
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Sorry to hear about your neighbor Kissa
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #123

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
My condolences, Cindy, on your neighbor. What a lovely, long life with dear friends and family with her at the end.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
My sympathies too, Cindy. Nice to hear that she had a peaceful end with family and friends near.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
My condolences as well Cindy. Nice that she had family with her and good friends still close by.
The weather does seem a bit more extreme then usual in the last few years. We have never had flooding like last summer and this winter we have had more snow and cold then I can remember. It is usually dry and brown for much of the winter here with nice warm chinooks to thaw us out every week or so.
I hope the flooding is over for your region.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Cindy.
LiLi914 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceania
Stats: 158/155.5/145 32%/28%/24% BF; 5'9
Start Date: Sep 21, 2013
Thanks Kissa/Cindy. It's nice your neighbour was loved by many, sounds like she had a good life.

BTW I love your new pic!
oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Ok, lots to catch up on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
My doctor told me the same thing, though just with ibuprofen. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be very hard on your liver, especially if you also consume alcohol at the same time. Ibuprofen doesn't cause liver problems, except in cases of some rare diseases, but it can be hard on the kidneys, so, like you said, this should be short term. Acetaminophen does absolutely nothing for me so it isn't an issue for me.

When I do start to feel a headache coming on, I will normally take four 200mg to knock it back. If that doesn't do it, I know I am in for one of my vicious headaches and it won't matter how much ibuprofen I take.
My DH and I both get migraines. I take a "preventative" which helps, and when I get a headache, I can usually just take Advil and be ok, as long as I get it early.

DH is in a different boat, so we finally got him into a Neuro last Fall-- no preventative needed IHO, but he gave some suggestions:

1) CoQ10 as a supplement... I need to research this.
more immediately
2) take a combination of OTC as soon as the headache hits (and/or in combination with his prescription...) b/c they have a synergy when used together. He suggested adding Aleve (naproxen) to our Advil, and the migraine pills which are acetaminophen and aspirin plus caffeine (you in Europe know this as paracetamol)... so now we have a bunch of bottles and look like total druggies, with a handful of colorful pills.

It does seem to help DH though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
This is one I used some time ago. Pat reminded me about it and I thought it would be fun to resurrect it.
I LOVE this one. I was hoping last summer if we met up that I'd recognize you by the drink umbrellas

Hope the weather clears up soon for you Slow
we've having a dump of snow too-- 17cm now, maybe up to 20. DH has already shoveled once, I hope he doesn't have to again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I feel kind of traitorous myself. I'm doing straight LC and not JUDDD. I hope to go back to rotations at some point, but I'm loving not doing them right now. I can't believe I used to find LC difficult, because after fasting every other day, this is a cake walk.
I was wondering about this. I discussed with DH the other day-- you want to keep eating JUDDD, and "suffering" EOD, or go back to LC, where we would have to watch our quantities anyway b/c the "1st time magic" is waaaaay over for us-- and not be able to have bread, popcorn, etc.

we're sticking with JUDDD for now, and getting into exercise. See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
Question for my JB's: Do you know of a good sports bra for the big girls? I need some new ones that actually support me.
I was going to suggest looking at Lane Bryant-- they sell online (and in stores obviously) and if you sign up for their email, you'll get discount coupons via email.
I have a LOT of their bras, and they are good quality, well made (I don't put them in the dryer, obviously), and I know they are doing more in the exercise clothing this time of year, so a good time to look for sport bras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
Who the heck ever thought "Oh cauliflower - that tastes JUST like a potato!". Blech! I made cauli mash yesterday and I just cannot get over the texture. I doctored it up with all kinds of spices and nope....still like albino trees
I don't think its supposed to taste like potato, but to serve the same side-dish purpose.

Here's my recipe real quick-- cut apart a cauli, and put in a microwave safe bowl with a tiny bit of hot water in the bottom, covered (vent) and nuke for a good 20 minutes-- very very soft, and even a bit brown in spots is fine.
Drain well.
Puree in food processor with some butter, a couple ounces of cream cheese, and here's the main tip-- chicken bouillon powder. Salt and pepper, and a bit of granulated/powdered garlic if you like "roasted garlic mashed potatoes"...
I serve this at a lot of my dinner parties to non-LC folks and everyone loves it.
Like, they freak out, and request it special.
I sometimes add heavy cream, but not too much, b/c the cauli can't absorb like potatoes can.

to you Oceania!

And to you about your neighbor Cindy I'm glad she was with family and it sounds peaceful.

So, some things going on here.

DH got laid off, again. Last Monday when I was away on business in CA.
Sigh.
He's on the hunt-- please have good thoughts for him.

Meanwhile-- he's taken to working out-- we have a treadmill in the basement. He wanted it, I didn't (I don't jog, back issues), and while I can walk on it obviously, I'm just adverse to it.

I've been dying for a rower since we bought the treadmill though... and lately, a bit obsessed about it. Sunday before he was laid off, I was like, lets get one.
Then, bam.

but I'm still obsessed... So, we did a ton of research and found a local company that sells one of the best models (apparently... it's called a concept 2, you can google it) and they can do a "try before you buy" rental program, or you can also buy it on interest free installments.
Return before 8 weeks and I believe you can refund (or pay as though you rented it for that amount of time).

So.... it's coming on WEDNESDAY

I've spent the better part of this snowy day looking at sites, figuring out calorie counts for my weight, and DH has found a bunch of tracking sites, software that connects to animate you as though you're in a race, etc.

I know it's a bad time for a big purchase, but we've talked and decided health first.

And I gave up my gel nails, which almost pays for this monthly...

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #129

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Oh Soren, you didn't need DH to get laid off, I am sending lucky, lucky thoughts his way. Delighted that you are getting the rower though. Just have to use it now, lol.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, it was really sucky timing (if you're thinking about Haka, just a week before). Sigh.
There's never a good time of course.

I am excited. I'll start that "challenge" I was thinking of (unless someone did already?) when I get it!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!

Sorry to hear about your DH Soren. But it's like they say - when one door closes, another opens! So here's to bigger and better things for you guys!

The other day in Body Combat class, I compared doing scissors (parallel feet moving back and forth - a cardio move) to the Nordic Trac! idk why but rowers reminds me of such an old school thing - like Nordic Trac! My sister's friend had one and she let us borrow it - i would work out on it when she wasn't home - I think I was 14 at the time.

Add me as a friend! Facebook
Old 02-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Ok, lots to catch up on here

My DH and I both get migraines. I take a "preventative" which helps, and when I get a headache, I can usually just take Advil and be ok, as long as I get it early.

DH is in a different boat, so we finally got him into a Neuro last Fall-- no preventative needed IHO, but he gave some suggestions:

1) CoQ10 as a supplement... I need to research this.
more immediately
2) take a combination of OTC as soon as the headache hits (and/or in combination with his prescription...) b/c they have a synergy when used together. He suggested adding Aleve (naproxen) to our Advil, and the migraine pills which are acetaminophen and aspirin plus caffeine (you in Europe know this as paracetamol)... so now we have a bunch of bottles and look like total druggies, with a handful of colorful pills.

It does seem to help DH though
Interesting.

I don't think mine are migraines. I think they are probably related to my sinuses as the pain normally starts behind my eyes and in the forehead and then radiate back around the side of my head, generally on the left side. When it gets bad, about all I can do is lay in the dark and whimper.

I probably shouldn't admit this but I have found one thing that helps. A few years ago, I got laid up with back spasms that were so bad that they would literally put me on the floor if I so much as sniffed or coughed. I couldn't sleep because laying down was agony. I was prescribed 5mg oxycodone to help.

One of the side effects of oxycodone is constipation and, trust me, you do not want to be constipated when any kind of straining in the abdomen causes intense pain so I didn't end up taking them all.

Later on, out of desperation during one of my headaches, I took one oxycodone along with four 200 mg ibuprofen and - boom! - the headache was gone! The ibuprofen by themselves hadn't even touched it before that.

Unfortunately, I'm now out (it took three years to use the 15 or so pills I had left) and it isn't something I can ask the doctor about because oxycodone isn't approved for headaches and they will just think I was a drug addict fishing for my next fix. I would actually prefer something that wasn't addictive anyway. However, from your description, I don't think your husband's solution would work for me. Acetaminophen does absolutely nothing for me. I might as well take sugar pills.

I've tried taking CoQ10 and I don't remember it helping but maybe it would be worth trying again. Fortunately, I've only had one bad one since starting JUDDD, so maybe the fasting helps?

Also, I have a Concept 2 rower. They are great (when you use it ). If you are going to get a rower (when you can - sorry about DH getting laid off), definitely get one of those. Unlike most cheaper rowers, the Concept 2 is gym quality and will last nearly forever, if cared for. They do take up more room than you would think, though, so make sure you have enough space.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #133
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Oceania: Hang in there, Sweetie. What's that sayiing? "Tough times don't last. Tough people do." I've heard that thyroid problems can cause all kinds of havoc emotionally and physically. And PMS. OMGosh. I used to be a basket case. Best part of post meno is not having to deal with that. I really feel for you.

Congratulations on fitting into tiny, tiny jeans! You are a tall drink-a-water at 5'9" and I bet you look like a model in the new duds.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
Just realised that I managed to regain & re-lose my excess weight without updating my profile. I need to work out what I’m doing so I can fill it in with something a bit more informative.
Hey! Congrats on losing the re-gain!

I have not yet updated my stats. Trying to get rid of what I re-gained the last half of 2013 which was a horrible, horrible year in so many ways for me. Trying to just get back to my stats and then go from there.

Katie and Lisa:
I've been watching the weather news. Oh my! Called my sister in PA today. She really has cabin fever from not being able to get out and go anywhere.

So glad you girls didn't have to go into work today. Snuggle in and stay safe and warm!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Hi dear JB'S

Have a nasty cold. Just can't hardly think straight.

Soren, so sorry for Dh lay off, will put on prayer list for a better job than ever!
Also sorry that a dear friend passed, it's happening too often in my age group.

I'm down to 157....still haven't hit that 150. Still working on it.

Now the reason....on LCF Suggested Menus or whatever, it's the big
popular board that we all know. Peggy Hardaway came up with a
flour free dumpling some months ago. Now that dumpling has been turned
into real pasta. Please go to the site for yourselves.

I just made it with my old Atlas Hand Crank Pasta Maker,
and I cannot believe my eyes. I have a big batch of fettuccini
waiting to be boiled. It only takes a minute or so.
If it is as good as everyone says, I will be the happiest of creatures.
No rubberiness, no fishiness. No taste really.

Go see, I think it will help on DD's or UP's.

Love you all
Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #135

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Good thoughts going out to Mr. Soren.

I'm on the verge of looking for something new myself. The threat of lay-offs is very real here and it's just too stressful. Ugh. Maybe a new, better job will fall into my lap? I loved this job until the last couple of months, so I'm really about these new developments.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #136
Blabbermouth!!!

Yam-Yam - it's my second jammie day this week! (i was off on Monday, but it snowed here). I'll take it My sister is in Doylestown and shes currently without power. I'm friends w/ her bff and bff's sister on FB and i think both of them are without power as well, but they're a bit southwest of my sis.

Barbo - do you mean Buttoni? I love her recipes!

I recently discovered spaghetti squash - nope that doesn't taste like pasta either but if you doctor it up properly, it is AMAZING. Sorry brown rice pasta, but i think you gotta go now

And I think I need to add butter and cheese back to my diet. Mashed cauli w/ coconut milk & garlic just doesn't work. Not for me anyway!

Last edited by LadyKT; 02-05-2014 at 03:41 PM..
Old 02-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #137
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
My condolences to you, Kissa, on the loss of your lovely neighbor. Sounds like she had a wonderful like and was loved by many.

Glad you are not having flooding problems. I hope SlowSure is ok.

Soren:

So sorry to hear about your DH getting laid off. What a bummer. Sending prayers your way that he will find something great and soon.

Congratulations on your new arrival! Isn't it fun to want something like that rowing machine and then to finally actually be getting it? You will have to give us daily updates!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
Also, I have a Concept 2 rower. They are great (when you use it ). If you are going to get a rower (when you can - sorry about DH getting laid off), definitely get one of those. Unlike most cheaper rowers, the Concept 2 is gym quality and will last nearly forever, if cared for. They do take up more room than you would think, though, so make sure you have enough space.
Sorry, I just noticed that you have already ordered one. They are very effective (again - when used) but make sure you watch the videos and such to get the form down. They can be very hard on the back if you don't do the form properly.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

By the way, you motivated me to charge mine up so I can use it again.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Yes I do mean Buittoni

Her name is Peggy.

I'm in love with this new pasta. We will have it tonight.
You can make it soft or al dente.

I have an old recipe from my WW days and it's Crabaghetti.
My buddy and I conspired together and came up with it.
So I am going to try it in casserole setting and see what happens
I always post and share the good ones.

love y'all
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #141
Big Yapper!!!!

So great to see you here and posting again, Barb!! I love your recipes, and I'll be particularly interested in them now that I'm LCing as well.

Soren, the rowing machine sounds awesome! I *really* need to get exercising again. As for LC, I'm enjoying it very much and do not miss bread or popcorn. I think after dieting for so long and restricting so much eod, it's much easier than the first time around. Hope I can continue to say that ...

Dawn, I hate that you're having to worry about lay-offs! That sucks. I know you will come out on top though, because I can tell that you're a go-getter!

Sorry that I didn't reply to everyone individually, but I do love reading everyone's posts.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Kissa,

Sorry that your friend passed, but it sure does sound as though she had a full life and was at peace in the end.

Soren,

My, that is a lousy break, but daily prayers that I say will include your dh finding a better and more lucrative job.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #143
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, I forgot to mention DH's lay-off, Soren. So sorry.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceania
Stats: 158/155.5/145 32%/28%/24% BF; 5'9
Start Date: Sep 21, 2013
Thanks Soren!! I'm not going to say sorry about your DH because bigger and better things are around just around the corner for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Oceania: Hang in there, Sweetie. What's that sayiing? "Tough times don't last. Tough people do." I've heard that thyroid problems can cause all kinds of havoc emotionally and physically. And PMS. OMGosh. I used to be a basket case. Best part of post meno is not having to deal with that. I really feel for you.

Congratulations on fitting into tiny, tiny jeans! You are a tall drink-a-water at 5'9" and I bet you look like a model in the new duds.!
Thanks for such a sweet message Yam-Yam!! I'm feeling somewhat sane today, granted I did take the day off

You'll be track on in no time, took me a while too.
oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thank you fornthe kind words for dh. you are all so sweet! I'll keep you posted, but I'm also really superstitious, so nothing until he finds something.

Barbo, i was following the dumpling thread and hoped it would turn into rolled pasta. I believe the main ingredient is glucomanan. I'll check in on it again (and its ok to link to it here if you have the link handy..)

Wow Frosty, me inspiring someone to exercise? amazing! lol
I'll watch the videos... I thought I'd never row again, with the lower back injury i have, but my chiro said years ago it was actually ok. And my upper back needs that kind of motion to counteract the computer hunch.
Im so excited!

Today was a good dd. Im feeling hopeful that juddd and exercise will get me where I want to go, this year.
I want to post about skinny jeans too!

s
Old 02-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Sending positive vibes to you and the hubby Soren.

Dawn, you will make the best decision for yourself and your family.

Back to work and class today. All that shoveling exhausted me because that snow was so heavy. We kept hearing sirens into the late night because apparently people don't understand that just because the snow has stopped doesn't mean the ice didn't stick around. I'm taking my sweet time driving into work this AM.
LiLi914 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Be careful Lisa!

I looked outside, and everything (ie. the street) is about as white as yesterday-- guess it will take another couple days (maybe with sun?) to get back to pavement.

Had a nice drop thanks to my good DD yesterday (and while I didn't track my UD the day before, it wasn't UUA).

Oh, sweet mojo, perhaps you are returning?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #148
Blabbermouth!!!

My poor car was covered under ice this morning! took a bit of elbow grease to get it loose. That's what I get for procrastinating
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Sounds like lots of us are getting a lot of cold snowy weather now! The warmer winter temperatures are forecasted here for next week and I can't wait. Really tired of shovelling as well.

Did you solve your TMJ Soren?
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, it was -12° F here this morning. That isn't as cold as some places but it is friggin' cold for here, especially in February. The only good thing is that it is clear out. The sun being out during the day helps, especially with the days getting longer.