Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #481
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I thought underpants in the UK were knickers, which is what we call pants that go to the knee.
I thought knickers were underpants!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #482
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
It looks like knickers are more specific:

Quote:
a piece of underwear worn by women and girls covering the area between the waist and the tops of the legs
We are all probably going to get laughed at when our UK folks get here.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #483
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
In the US, knickers mean short pants that are knee-length. I'm pretty sure most UKers call panties knickers though, although they know what panties are lol.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #484
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/171/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Thanks Goner & gotitnow for

Goner, Flutter and I were at the same weight at one time, ironically, the same wgt you & I are at now! I used play catch up with her, never could of course as I went on couple of long vacations that ended in putting on 7-8 lbs every time!

Weight this morning was more than directly proportional to last night's bingeing on carbs. Thanks to SS I know it's mostly water.

Talking of UK vs USA names, the word "knickers" in UK was used for french lacy/silky panties that are more like short shorts! It's also used as a cuss word! In India, knickers pronounced "knee-kirs" is used for shorts that go down to the knee. So all the police force wears Khaki knickers in public!

I have a funny story to share with you guys: when I first came to US, eons ago from London, some friends and I went out drinking, so I ordered a "dry martini", it tasted a little funny, the 2nd wasn't too bad, 3rd and 4th tasted much better. When we left the place, I felt as if I was walking on air and thought to myself I'm getting old (I was 29-30) that I couldn't even take 4-5 drinks! Next morning, I had a blazing headache, thinking what the heck On Monday, at work I shared this incidence with an English friend of mine who had been in the US a while and she laughed her head off! She told me that what I thought was "funny tasting dry martini" wasn't the Martini Rossi but Gin & touch of vermouth! I came home and told DH and he went and bought me an American to English dictionary!

On another note, I just learnt new words from my DD, "d***** bag, tool, eye candy", where in the world do they come up with such vulgar/graphic descriptions (well may be eye candy is not bad!) What happened to knaves, philanderers, womanizers or just plain bad! But then I'm showing my age!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #485
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
To me, "underpants" is something kids wear. I've never heard an adult refer to their underpants.

I was under the impression that in the UK, "pants" referred to underwear in general and what we in the US call pants, they call trousers. Maybe that's changing?
I’d say pants for women’s underwear, underpants for men’s, and trousers for trousers .

I once tried to explain to a Canadian that when he said he was wearing pants and suspenders, it created a totally different image for an English person!
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
What happened to knaves, philanderers, womanizers or just plain bad! But then I'm showing my age!
I would expect someone that used the word "knave" to also say "forsooth" and "thou".
Old 02-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #487
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post

I have a funny story to share with you guys: when I first came to US, eons ago from London, some friends and I went out drinking, so I ordered a "dry martini", it tasted a little funny, the 2nd wasn't too bad, 3rd and 4th tasted much better. When we left the place, I felt as if I was walking on air and thought to myself I'm getting old (I was 29-30) that I couldn't even take 4-5 drinks! Next morning, I had a blazing headache, thinking what the heck On Monday, at work I shared this incidence with an English friend of mine who had been in the US a while and she laughed her head off! She told me that what I thought was "funny tasting dry martini" wasn't the Martini Rossi but Gin & touch of vermouth! I came home and told DH and he went and bought me an American to English dictionary!
When I lived in Denmark, I was having dinner with my host-family's elderly parents. They asked if I wanted more to eat. I told them, "No thank you; I'm full." Well I didn't realize "full" in Danish is a different word. I effectively told them I was "drunk!"
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #488
Big Yapper!!!!

Dawn, my mother used to tell us to never decline more food with the phrase, "I'm full", as it was vulgar. The much more appropriate thing to say (according to her), was, "I've had plenty."
Old 02-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BroadwayBaby
Stats: 265/224/165
WOE: Lost 35 on WW/-6 on JUDDD...so far
Start Date: 1/18/2014-JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Mike - I'm so sorry about your grandmother. Peace be with you.

I am NOT EOD'ing right now. I am currently in post-race mode where I spend my entire time freezing and eating everything that isn't nailed down. Ug, though, I'm not used to this much food, I should pace myself because I got heartburn last night and I NEVER get heartburn!

But I'm pleased with how it went, and I'm only going to lose 1 toe nail so I'm calling it a win! Now if I can just get the appetite back under control, but I know it will be another day before I am warm and able to stop the monster again. I've been doing this post race since 2007...there's no fighting it. At least I'm trying to make sensible choices!

Next runs: March 16 and March 23. Both 1/2's. I need an intervention I think.
Good luck on the runs! My friend is a runner and she always eats and eats and eats after races and she's as skinny as a rail! LOL!
BroadwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #490
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Dawn, my mother used to tell us to never decline more food with the phrase, "I'm full", as it was vulgar. The much more appropriate thing to say (according to her), was, "I've had plenty."
Well, I ended up being more vulgar than I had even intended!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #491
Big Yapper!!!!

Lmao!

These days I will usually take 2nd's.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #492
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Quote:
When I have to pull into traffic quickly, I tell Keira, "Hold on to your chonies!" Sometimes she actually grabs her underwear.

That is too funny!

Can't believe I have never heard that word!! or if I did, I sure didn't know what it meant!!

When BB wrote: "Good luck with the runs" to Yennie, I laughed, because at my house, "the runs" has a very different meaning!!!!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #493
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
When I lived in Denmark, I was having dinner with my host-family's elderly parents. They asked if I wanted more to eat. I told them, "No thank you; I'm full." Well I didn't realize "full" in Danish is a different word. I effectively told them I was "drunk!"
In this house, sadly that's about right, as wine sometimes is dinner
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #494
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
It looks like knickers are more specific:

We are all probably going to get laughed at when our UK folks get here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
In the US, knickers mean short pants that are knee-length. I'm pretty sure most UKers call panties knickers though, although they know what panties are lol.
Wait, you forgot about BLOOMERS! Those are knickers/pants/underwear/...panties/chonies too right?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/171/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Bloomers are more fitted than knickers!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #496
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
I’d say pants for women’s underwear, underpants for men’s, and trousers for trousers .

I once tried to explain to a Canadian that when he said he was wearing pants and suspenders, it created a totally different image for an English person!
Maybe that's what I said in class last year that got the weird looks?

Same class, more issues:

I said, hey, let's take a "bio break" and in NA, we know that means a short break to go to the bathroom.
Well, the UK folks looked at me, so I explained. They said, oh, we call that a "comfort break".

Ok. So at the next break, trying to be clever, I said, if you need to seek comfort, go ahead.
Looks.
I was like, what now? They said, "seek comfort" means you need a hug!
I'm like, I KNOW THAT but I'm trying to... Ugh nevermind. Go pee and be back in 5.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #497
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Concert was postponed until Friday. Apparently Justin is sick. Bummer! I haven't been feeling well nor sleeping very well so as annoyed as I was that we were down the street from the venue I was secretly excited because I felt awful today. Hopefully the traffic on Friday won't be an absolute misery.

On the subject of underwear. I actually had to think of what word I use. My mom always says "draws" so I sometimes use that as well. I too hate the word "panties." I usually say "undies" though.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #498
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I am loving this thread. First bras now drawers. This is great! I am sitting here laughing my head off reading through these. Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitnow View Post

When BB wrote: "Good luck with the runs" to Yennie, I laughed, because at my house, "the runs" has a very different meaning!!!!

Phyl
Yes, in our house, the "runs" mean that as well. Or my dad will sometimes call it "the trots" or the politically insensitive "Montezuma's Revenge" even when one hasn't ventured south of the border recently.

Although I am loathe to continue in this train of thought for fear of being accused of starting us on the path to "bathroom humor", I must say that I've heard some very creative verbiage used to describe diarrhea. For some reason, people are reluctant to use that word. Instead they come up with all sorts of other ways to try to tell me their pet has loose stool. Then when I say, "Oh, s/he has diarrhea?" the look on their face!! Priceless! I'm not sure when that became a taboo word but apparently to people with more delicate constitutions than I, it is!

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #499
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs

Potty humor, underwear discussions....we really are highbrow here, aren't we?

Jen, you're right, diarrhea has become the avoided word. I wonder why. Maybe because the alternatives are so........er........descriptive. Squirts. Need I say more?

When my parents first had children (me), they were going to be very enlightened and not use euphemisms or nicknames for bodily functions and body parts. They were going to ask me/us if I/we needed to urinate before leaving the house, or if I/we needed to do a bowel movement. I have no recollection of this at all. What I do remember is did I need to do a wet or a stinky.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #500
Major LCF Poster!

I really did hesitate......I promise!

Phyl
Old 02-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #501
Major LCF Poster!

Carol...we're just acting like family! (or mine anyway)

When my dad was still with us he was such a clown, but in public
oh, my goodness, he was VERY sophisticated and reserved.

When we were all together....not much was off limits! (within reason of course!)

How I miss those days.

Phyl
Old 02-20-2014, 01:52 AM   #502
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
We weren't repeatedly invaded by different language speakers over the course of centuries to end up with a dearth of words to express the same thing, you know.

Underwear/underclothes/underthings are the generic class. Likewise smalls.

Delicates are the generic class but used to refer to silk or lacy lingerie for women. I don't know if there's a new generic word to handle the case of chaps who only wear silk boxers and the like (a growing class, I hear, as it improves temperature control and is better for those with particular skin conditions).

Underpants are definitely used to describe male nether wear.

Historically, knickers described outer as well as underwear. So, knickerbockers for cycling, golf knickers etc.: these were typically to the knee. Knickerbockers also somewhat overlapped with bloomers - and bloomers then also described quite bulky underwear (for women). At some point, knickers also described shorter garments, such as gym/tennis knickers, substantial things, worn under gym skirts and that could be relied upon not to raise the merest eyebrow should they become visible during exertion. 'Kecks' and 'drawers' - kecks have the outer/under wear usage and can be both male/female. Drawers are archaically outerwear but are now more typically classed as female underwear.

At some point, we went through the ghastly phase of Directoire knickers/bloomers in the UK and a certain age demographic still wears them, supposedly for the warmth factor. Waffle fabric or itchy wool, plenty elastic, and they clamp above your knee or a racy 4 inches above it. For a ghastly few months in my childhood, we all had to wear them which was miserably restricting and we lived in fear of other children seeing them if our uniform skirts were to ride up. (I briefly Googled to see if Directoire were still available - let's say that the top few returns were not what I had in mind and Good Grief But, fear not, there are still family shops in the UK that cater to the 'discerning older woman who seeks the support of longer leg comfort'.)

But, yes, we even have a chain of Knicker Box concessions in train stations and other hubs for people who need an emergency change or something fancier. Just to be annoying, some of these sell both male and female undergarments altho' it's not that usual for men's stuff to be described as knickers.

Knickers, panties, briefs, bloomers - yes, these can all describe women's nether garments all with various connotations. As others have said, knickers is considered déclassé in some ways, unless in the context of French Knickers. Bloomers always implies sturdy wear of the sort that reaches up to your navel and gives full coverage.

And, yes - knickers can express someone being impolite or their frustration. (Knickers to you, or Oh, knickers. However, somewhat charmingly, altho' there's probably a different root - 'briefs' is also the informal name for what we call barristers and you might refer to as trial lawyers (except for some very small groups of cases and only in some courts - only barristers have the right to appear in court and speak to the Judge and others. Solicitors are the ones who take cases and then refer clients to 'Briefs/barristers'. Solicitors in such cases can attend court but cannot speak to any of the Judges or in an official capacity when there - it's a bit more complicated than that but I can't pretend it makes any sense).

I always, always, have to remember that N. America doesn't mean 'undergarment' when referring to a 'vest' - that's a waistcoat here. And, yes, the suspenders thing always takes a moment to work through (known as 'braces' here).

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-20-2014 at 01:55 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 AM   #503
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/126/120
It's strange. After immigrating to Scotland from the US, I've had to learn to say "trousers" instead of pants. While I realize people hear my American accent, and know what I mean, it just makes sense to adapt my language, and it prevents people from doing a double-take before getting my meaning.

But then, when I talk to American friends/ family, they make fun of me for saying "workout trousers" on skype instead of "workout pants."
*sigh* I can never win. I won't go through the litany of other word adaptations I've made.

ETA: The DH and I love this old Aussie tv show called Kath & Kim. We use "smalls" in place of underclothing and "breakkie" in place of breakfast.

Last edited by kwerp; 02-20-2014 at 02:57 AM..
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:08 AM   #504
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Slowsure that gives new meaning to the phrase "don't get your knickers in a twist"
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #505
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hi Budds:

I can't read or catch up. Just popping in from Palm Springs to say hello and that I miss you guys!

It's been busy here. Kinda of a mini family reunion.

All my plans to stick to rotations have now gone out the window. I will have to wait until I get back home next week and start all over again, I guess.

Lovely weather here. We are not exactly in Palm Springs. It's Cathedral City right next to it. Yesterday the temperature hit 91 degrees! I swam 25 laps in the lap pool at 8:00 a.m. so at least there is a bit of exercise going on.

I will pop back in as soon as I get a free minute. Our grand daughter is staying in our villa with us, so she keeps me really busy!

hugs!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #506
Blabbermouth!!!

Glad you're having fun Yam!

I have a weird headache today - it's sort of a sinus headache, sort of an eye-ache if that makes any sense? Hurts to look around. Ouch!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I had a headache this morning so I've been chugging coffee (not counting calories either hahaha) and it went away.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #508
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Slowsure that gives new meaning to the phrase "don't get your knickers in a twist"
It does rather, doesn't it?

This discussion has prompted me to consult a linguistic atlas and historical thesaurus at some point to try and identify when hosiery became footwear/legwear (as in socks or stockings) rather than trousers/pants/breeches (as in lederhosen). Although, I'm also now wondering when contemporary English stopped using breeches except for the rare use of knee breeches.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #509
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Although, I'm also now wondering when contemporary English stopped using breeches except for the rare use of knee breeches.
I used to hear "britches" quite often when I was a kid. It's kind of redneck slang, though (ie, "you deserve a swift kick in the britches" or "pull your britches up").
Old 02-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #510
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
I had a headache this morning so I've been chugging coffee (not counting calories either hahaha) and it went away.
Funny you say that - I'm about to run downstairs to Starbucks! Let's hope that works.