Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #391
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Had a wonderful valentines day with DBF, but discovered I can no longer partake in red wine puffiness and middle of the night super high blood sugar. Ugh.

And I still have most of a heart shaped pizza in the fridge....and chocolates. I dont think this weekend will have any DDs in it
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2014, 06:52 AM   #392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
All her children and grandchildren and great grandchildren in the area will be there with her telling stories about all the great times we have had together and keeping her company. She has said she is ready to go, and it's just too painful to hold on any longer and she is ok with letting go. ...
Hopefully having us all around will make it easier for her and remind her of the happy times of her life and take some of the pain away.
In so far as it ever can be, that sounds like a good death to wish for anyone. Death can still be an emotional ambush, no matter how much you know it's coming and I wish you and your family comfort from each other.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:52 AM   #393
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 11-1-14 175.5/
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 2013
Lunch yesterday was wonderful. Meeting Carol and her mom just warmed my heart - they have a great relationship and it's so obvious how much they care about each other. I was thinking fondly of my own mother, who I miss, and was glad to think about happy times with her.

I had my camera!! Darn... I was just having too much fun talking and sharing details of our lives. I am still laughing about wondering if I would have a "joisey" accent... LOL I don't even know how to spell that never mind SAY it.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #394
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
This weekend my family is gathering together to be with my grandmother in what may be her last days with us. She is 86 years old and her health has rapidly declined over the last couple of weeks since getting pneumonia after the new year. She really has been in extremely poor health for the last 20 some odd years, with diabetes and heart disease and a host of other complications.

All her children and grandchildren and great grandchildren in the area will be there with her telling stories about all the great times we have had together and keeping her company. She has said she is ready to go, and it's just too painful to hold on any longer and she is ok with letting go. We all have been hoping she would pull through, and still hope, and she has before, coming back from what many thought was the end, but this time is different and the last thing we want is for her to stay for us and prolong the agony she is in now.

Hopefully having us all around will make it easier for her and remind her of the happy times of her life and take some of the pain away.
Thinking about you and understanding what you are going through. What a blessing for everyone to be together for this time.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #395
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Dear Mike, I was so touched by your wonderful post. It sounds to me as if you are a really wonderful family, how lucky she is to have you and what a great example she must have been to you all..

I was reading an article only this week about the true meaning of 'united in grief', and how the loss of a loved one really brings a family closer.

My thoughts are with you and your family.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #396
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
Thanks Slow, I look forward to reading your comments in the other thread! Please rest assured that your input is always appreciated I totally do not believe your BF to be 42% with the amount of exercise you do and your current wgt. I'm positive there must be some gross error somewhere! I was talking to a fledgling doctor (doing wgt training etc) the other day and he seemed to think hydrostatic test was more accurate than DXA scan, I thought it was the other way around!

I'm a firm believer of HIIT but when I tried it with walk/run (C25K) the knee problem emerged. Now I'm trying it on a BodyRider at home, it's a real killer and I hate it with a passion but I know I have to do it. I really need to join a gym and do some wgt training but that will have to wait until after our trip to Australia.

Weight wise I seem to be revolving though the same door, as is the case with many JBs, maybe I need a maintenance break then the lbs will start dropping I can't let go for fear of gaining so I'll just have to persevere like Cindy, Carol and many others JBs
Thanks for sharing your results! Before long all of us will have a BF test done! I know it's difficult to remain the same weight despite all your hard work. Believe me, I know. I think you just keep keeping on, and when you can do some weight training to get the results you want. I definitely need to do the same!

Quote:
This weekend my family is gathering together to be with my grandmother in what may be her last days with us. She is 86 years old and her health has rapidly declined over the last couple of weeks since getting pneumonia after the new year. She really has been in extremely poor health for the last 20 some odd years, with diabetes and heart disease and a host of other complications.

All her children and grandchildren and great grandchildren in the area will be there with her telling stories about all the great times we have had together and keeping her company. She has said she is ready to go, and it's just too painful to hold on any longer and she is ok with letting go. We all have been hoping she would pull through, and still hope, and she has before, coming back from what many thought was the end, but this time is different and the last thing we want is for her to stay for us and prolong the agony she is in now.

Thinking of you, Mike.That is a wonderful way to think of the end of a long, loving life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBaby View Post
Never "good luck" even for auditions. It's considered bad luck. Had ANOTHER great audition today! So excited! I know I'm gonna book another show soon! Tomorrow we're are having a tech run through for "Sordid Lives" I feel like it's gonna be a hot mess but I'm staying positive. So grateful for this show, it's paying my March rent! LOL!
Break a leg then! Good going, and it sounds very exciting! How nice to be able to support yourself doing something you love.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #397

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Mike, I'm so sorry and am sending good thoughts and prayers for you and your entire family. She sounds like a wonderful woman, and your family sounds close and strong. All the rewards of a well-lived life. I hope you all get some comfort in gathering together at this difficult time.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Had a wonderful lunch with Goner! Mom and I both enjoyed it very much. We didn't snap any pics though, darnit. We were just too busy chatting and getting to know each other. This won't be a surprise to anyone here, but she is a lovely, lovely person, inside and out.

Thank you, Goner, for the gifts and for your wonderful company today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
Lunch yesterday was wonderful. Meeting Carol and her mom just warmed my heart - they have a great relationship and it's so obvious how much they care about each other. I was thinking fondly of my own mother, who I miss, and was glad to think about happy times with her.

I had my camera!! Darn... I was just having too much fun talking and sharing details of our lives. I am still laughing about wondering if I would have a "joisey" accent... LOL I don't even know how to spell that never mind SAY it.
Yep, we were wondering if you would sound like "Snookie". It was so much fun. I'm disappointed that none of us thought to snap any pics while at lunch, but I can post this pic of the lovely basket Goner made (one for each of us, and with some yummy candies inside) and presented to us. So sweet! I haven't decided where I'll use it, but I'm leaning toward putting it in my hall bath with some pretty little soaps in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0215141133.jpg (29.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #399

Quote:
Well, I had the hydrostatic body fat test done on Tuesday. Apparently, they decided to bypass our town so I ended up driving south 107 miles! Results, as expected I guess:

Height 5'4" (used to be 5'5" at one time!)
Weight 155.4 (couple of pounds less than my scale)
Body fat 34%
Lean lb 102.6
Fat lb 52.8
RMR 1509

Seems like, I need to lose 15-20 lbs more if I want to be between Good & Healthy range! However,I doubt if I'll lose any weight if I ate at RMR level that they recommend. The girl said if I ate below the RMR I would be losing Lean lbs The real surprise was that I was burning 25% less calories on my walks than my food log site told me I do! The one that I map my walk with exaggerates even more - which I always ignored anyway! This definitely sheds a different light on calorie deficit. Seems more accurate to me. May be the logging sites include the RMR calories for the duration of exercise + the exercise calories! Like Mike said it's good for checking the future progress.
I'm glad you were able to get this done, JD. I'm interested that your RMR is 115 more than mine (1509 vs 1394) and your lean is 5.3 pounds less than mine (102.6 vs 107.9). I guess these are mathematical estimates and might vary by what calc model they use. I want this to be much more scientific than it evidently is. Like you said, it's good baseline info to be used for future comparisons, but whether we can count on precise accuracy is questionable, both for our estimated RMRs and our actual BF/LBM.

Good info to have though. I agree that HIIT training is necessary, although not so much fun to do!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 02-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Oh that's so cool that two got to meet!!

Haha I know all about those Jersey accents. I can spot one a mile away. Does Snookie actually have a Jersey accent? If she does it's fake because she is from my area in NY (we don't have NYC accents either!)! My mother in law is actually Facebook friends with her mother. I thought that was hilarious!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/176/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Mike,Must be really heartwarming for her to know how much she is loved, seeing her "garden full of blossoms"; I know things get lost in translations but you get the essence! Slow put it very succinctly "Death can still be an emotional ambush" as you can never really prepare for the loss!

Quote:
I'm glad you were able to get this done, JD. I'm interested that your RMR is 115 more than mine (1509 vs 1394) and your lean is 5.3 pounds less than mine (102.6 vs 107.9). I guess these are mathematical estimates and might vary by what calc model they use. I want this to be much more scientific than it evidently is. Like you said, it's good baseline info to be used for future comparisons, but whether we can count on precise accuracy is questionable, both for our estimated RMRs and our actual BF/LBM.

Good info to have though. I agree that HIIT training is necessary, although not so much fun to do!
Very interesting indeed! My friend went with me, she's 5'3", weighed 147.4 and had BF of 36% with RMR of 1436, That's more understandable! I would have expected your RMR to be higher! Hmmm
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #402
Big Yapper!!!!

Love the basket, Goner! Luck you, LCG! Is that the paper basket weave that Sirtain was doing? It's so pretty especially with the pink heart.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #403

I know, I just love it! It is made from brown shopping bags, and the twiny handles she wove through the top. And the heart is the inside of a security envelope. Isn't that brilliant? Like she said, she made "something out of nothing." Something special and beautiful, I say.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #404

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
DH and I have just seen a stage version of '1984', very good but totally harrowing. I stuck to my DD plan and had a diet coke, but oh boy this was 'now I need a drink' production if ever there was one.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #405
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow, Kissa. I remember "1984" being very influential in my teenage years.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #406
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Love the basket, Goner! Luck you, LCG! Is that the paper basket weave that Sirtain was doing? It's so pretty especially with the pink heart.
I believe Sirtain rolls newspaper for her baskets, and although I tried that after she mentioned it - I gave up... that one takes a lot of work. LOL

Quote:
I know, I just love it! It is made from brown shopping bags, and the twiny handles she wove through the top. And the heart is the inside of a security envelope. Isn't that brilliant? Like she said, she made "something out of nothing." Something special and beautiful, I say.
Ah I'm just glad you liked it. It was my way to say thanks for driving to see me knowing I'm here alone. And I enjoy making these baskets - they only take about 1/2 hour tops! I'm a quick craft kind of gal... if you do a search online for woven paper bag baskets - I think you will find the tutorial.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #407
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Hi everyone!

and for your family Mike.

It's snowing again here. I'm freezing- miserably freezing. I'm probably going to soak in a hot tub again.

DW and I are having V-day dinner tomorrow night since the restaurant we are going to had a fixed menu last night and tonight and we both hate fixed menus.

We booked a cruise for Thanksgiving week. It's a long time off, but it's sure nice to look forward too.

Did I mention I'm freezing... and it's not even a DD.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #408
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. It was a tough day and emotionally draining for all. The hardest part was when the hospice nurse advised everyone on what we should and should not be doing to ease her departure from this world. How she doesn't need food and giving her food will actually cause issues because she is shutting down and isn't equipped to digest food any longer. We sat with her and she listened to our stories and we think she heard us and enjoyed them. We are not sure how much longer she will hang on but the nurse didn't think it would be long.

The one sour note to the day was my cousins husband who decided to throw a hissy fit cussing up a storm freaking out when his mother in law asked him to check the water temperature on the water heater he installed because the hot water ran out very quickly. Well he decided he wasn't her errand boy and threw a vacuum into a wall and kicked his shoes across the room and stormed off and drove off like a maniac. He made a hard day much harder. Apparently he had worked all night, and he just arrived while I was out picking up a prescription for my grandma for pain medicine, so I only caught the tail end of it. But he showed a serious lack of respect for what was going on.

We will be going back tomorrow to sit with her again. Hoping it will be a less stressful day. I know it will be stressful, just hope it is the stress we expect this time.

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #409

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Carol Thank you.

Chris, it'll be interesting to see! But for me, I know, that's not the problem as our house has great natural light and I go outdoors for exercise. I think, I just need to get rid of nuts/cereals/ice cream etc. that I keep for my DH or tell him to put these away, out of my sight I'm really annoyed with myself DH thinks I need to change my sleeping pattern, I can't seem to do that either! Even if I go to bed early, I wake up an hr or so later as if after a nap

Carly, You have Soma near by? Great fitting bras but a little pricey!
Okay, just to resurrect the bra shopping discussion . . . I went to Soma today. I spent at least an hour getting measured and trying on about 3,000 different bras. The associate was very knowledgeable, very helpful, and brought me tons of styles and a few different sizes to try. She agreed after a while that I'm difficult to fit. She did NOT make me feel like I was a difficult customer, just that I have "unique" issues. We finally found some bras that I never in a million years would have chosen for myself (very sheer and lacy but they actually offered way more support than my normal "bullet proof" versions). I spent a lot more than I thought I would ($150+ for 2 bras and a few pairs of matching chones), but I told DH the undergarments were free. I paid for the privelege (FROSTY, are you reading this??) of having a hot, blonde, 20 year old girl touching my boobs for over an hour!!

I then went to Kohl's and spent about the same amount for 4 other bras. I should be set for a while. What I find interesting is that, of the 6 bras I bought, I got 3 different sizes! 36D at Soma, and then 34DD in Vera Wang, and 34D in some Warner bras I got.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #410

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. It was a tough day and emotionally draining for all. The hardest part was when the hospice nurse advised everyone on what we should and should not be doing to ease her departure from this world. How she doesn't need food and giving her food will actually cause issues because she is shutting down and isn't equipped to digest food any longer. We sat with her and she listened to our stories and we think she heard us and enjoyed them. We are not sure how much longer she will hang on but the nurse didn't think it would be long.

The one sour note to the day was my cousins husband who decided to throw a hissy fit cussing up a storm freaking out when his mother in law asked him to check the water temperature on the water heater he installed because the hot water ran out very quickly. Well he decided he wasn't her errand boy and threw a vacuum into a wall and kicked his shoes across the room and stormed off and drove off like a maniac. He made a hard day much harder. Apparently he had worked all night, and he just arrived while I was out picking up a prescription for my grandma for pain medicine, so I only caught the tail end of it. But he showed a serious lack of respect for what was going on.

We will be going back tomorrow to sit with her again. Hoping it will be a less stressful day. I know it will be stressful, just hope it is the stress we expect this time.
Mike, I can't even imagine what was going through your cousin's husband's mind. What a DB! I'm sending all the best to you and your family with hopes that you get through this with all the grace and dignity you show here.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #411
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Ugh Mike thats horrible. Is this a normal behavior for him? How are you holding up?

Dawn - love the picture of you in your new shirt (on fb)!! Skinny minny you are!!
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Mike, I am so sorry you and your family are going through this difficult time. I wish life didn't have to include them.

What a shame that someone could be so selfish as to put everyone through worse stress. Where's the compassion and consideration?

for all of you to have a better tomorrow, full of the peace and love you all deserve.

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #413
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Mike for you and your family.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:34 PM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Okay, just to resurrect the bra shopping discussion . . . I went to Soma today. I spent at least an hour getting measured and trying on about 3,000 different bras. The associate was very knowledgeable, very helpful, and brought me tons of styles and a few different sizes to try. She agreed after a while that I'm difficult to fit. She did NOT make me feel like I was a difficult customer, just that I have "unique" issues. We finally found some bras that I never in a million years would have chosen for myself (very sheer and lacy but they actually offered way more support than my normal "bullet proof" versions). I spent a lot more than I thought I would ($150+ for 2 bras and a few pairs of matching chones), but I told DH the undergarments were free. I paid for the privelege (FROSTY, are you reading this??) of having a hot, blonde, 20 year old girl touching my boobs for over an hour!!

I then went to Kohl's and spent about the same amount for 4 other bras. I should be set for a while. What I find interesting is that, of the 6 bras I bought, I got 3 different sizes! 36D at Soma, and then 34DD in Vera Wang, and 34D in some Warner bras I got.
I am not at all surprised at the different sizes, I do that even within Soma! Aren't the lacy ones great, so feminine! Makes you feel ahmm, good! My recommendation would be to wear one regularly now and save the other one along with the tags, just incase you change shape/size and want to exchange it in a month or so. I had to do that couple of times as I had bought one too many. The sales girls are very matter-of-fact, aren't they! They really do train them well.

Had belated Valentine dinner at WiKi restaurant, Yum-yum, so not going to weigh tomorrow!

Last edited by jdforshort; 02-15-2014 at 11:41 PM..
Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #415
Senior LCF Member

Mike coming your way!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #416
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I paid for the privelege (FROSTY, are you reading this??) of having a hot, blonde, 20 year old girl touching my boobs for over an hour!!
I'm pretty sure I've seen, um... "videos" that start like this.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #417
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
JD, Good for you for driving all that way to get this valuable information! (I would have done the same).

It's interesting about the RMR, isn't it? I like to play with the "World's most accurate calorie calculator" (I don't know if I can link, but you can find it on Google). It seems like the body composition testers must use the Cunningham research model, but the calculator site recommends Mifflin-St. Jeor model for most people besides bodybuilders.

My hydrostatic guy told me that to go under BMR would cause loss of lean body mass as well. I am so about how alternate fasting plays into this. Supposedly it protects lean body mass, but how solid is the study/studies? It seems that the maintenance level calories every other day could help, but I don't know. I personally try to do weight lifting on up days just in case.

Anyway JD, you now have a great baseline for comparison and although 15-20 pounds might seem like a lot to you, to me (with more to lose) it seems like you're almost there!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Mike, you've been through a lot. Sorry cousin's husband made it even more difficult. I imagine that if I was in your grandma's position it would be wonderful to have family with me ... what a beautiful thing.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
It must be reading about people's various family travails in this and other threads.

The oddest thing - in the wee smalls I was awake but very sleepy and had an odd sort of waking experience in which my mother (who is long dead) strolled up to discuss/organise my travel tickets to go and visit her. I wasn't frightened but it has thoroughly unnerved me in some ways.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:14 AM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Mike, I'm so sorry your family has to deal with an infantile cousin on top of everything else. Sending thoughts and hugs your way.

Just wanted to check-in with everyone and say hello. Busy weekend so I've been reading posts, but have little time to post. Hate that!
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote