Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #271
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBaby View Post
Hand him a pair of ear buds/head phones and tell him to go crazy. Video games sound better with head phones on anyway.
Maybe I'll don the headphones lol.

Just wanted to say that you look great--nice avi and it shows an amazing difference too!
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #272
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
For the past couple of days I have been thinking that there have to be things going on in our bodies that are working for the good if we are sticking to ADF.

I was whining and bummed out because after every DD the scale was going right back to the -9.4 mark and I was tempted to think "this is NOT working!"

Then this morning, BOOM! I'm -10 pounds exactly!
WOOT WOOT!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #273
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I can't get over how busy this thread is! I hope I don't miss anyone, but if I do, I read and enjoy every single post!

Yam, great news on your 10 pounds lost! I think you're doing fantastic, but I totally empathize with getting frustrated when losses seem to stop for no reason. I can see so clearly why it happens when others describe it, but when it's me, I go a little berserk. And good for you fixing that elastic. My sewing session went smoothly, no small feat when me and a sewing machine are combined. And my sweats are back in use!

Frosty, for sure start a thread or a journal. I always find everyone's experiences and eventual solutions so helpful and inspiring. I'm actually wondering if you have restricted your calories too much. Could that be? I'll look forward to reading more detail when/if you start a new thread.

Lisa, sorry you were out of sorts yesterday. I hope today is MUCH better!

Mary, it's always good to see you posting! Forgettery...I love it!

Goner, so glad you're enjoying the beautiful AZ weather! At the risk of incurring the wrath of all my wintering JBs, it's going to be too warm here in a few days - almost 90*! This IS winter, afterall.

Katie, Up Day Down Day, Row Row Row - I love it! Have the munchies left you alone yet today?

Terri, hope you get to feeling better real soon!

Soren, WTG on the treadmill workout! When does the rower come?

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post

Katie, Up Day Down Day, Row Row Row - I love it! Have the munchies left you alone yet today?
Yes & No. I had some grilled veggies & 2 chicken potstickers as a "snack" and i'm okay for now.

Tomorrow I can eat....tomorrow, tomorrow, I'LL LOVE IT TOMORROW. Ugh.
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:

Soren, WTG on the treadmill workout! When does the rower come?
should be this weekend!

I also wonder about Frosty's calorie restriction. I'm so far away from goal, I'm just trying to do the plan as written. I know everyone is different and tweaks will help, eventually.

Now I'm just mentally at this knife skills course. I'm a little nervous. DH was wondering if maybe he shouldn't have gotten it for me/us, but I think it's good to get out and do something new, even if it is a little scary
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
Frosty, for sure start a thread or a journal. I always find everyone's experiences and eventual solutions so helpful and inspiring. I'm actually wondering if you have restricted your calories too much. Could that be? I'll look forward to reading more detail when/if you start a new thread.
Oh please, oh please, oh please let it be this!
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #277
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
Oh please, oh please, oh please let it be this!
I was wondering this as well. I hadn't fully formed my opinion yet, so didn't want to mention it, but I restricted too much, too soon and stalled. It wasn't until I increased my calories back up that I started losing again. I think it's a great plan to do 500 calorie DDs, and if that doesn't work, you might be one of the lucky ones who has to eat a bit more on UDs too. Wouldn't that be fantastic?!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BroadwayBaby
Stats: 265/224/165
WOE: Lost 35 on WW/-6 on JUDDD...so far
Start Date: 1/18/2014-JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Maybe I'll don the headphones lol.

Just wanted to say that you look great--nice avi and it shows an amazing difference too!
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!
BroadwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Add me to the "EAT SOMETHING FROSTY!" camp

It was an afterthought from an earlier post - and then when I saw your posts in the UD/DD menu threads, it dawned on me that you're probably not eating enough.....
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #280
Senior LCF Member

I'm not sure anyone has ever accused me of not eating enough before.

We'll see how doing the 500 calories on DDs go. Color me skeptical, though.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post

BB: Love the new Avi!! You are gorgeous, Girl!!!
Are you serenading me Yam-Yam?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

To be honest, I am very fearful that this isn't going to work. It's tough to explain why without a long boring explanation of where I am coming from and my experiences. I am debating about starting a thread to explain (and so I don't derail this thread and its talk of taxes and bra shopping ) but I don't know if that would be too attention *****-ish.
I feel like you're just plateauing Frosty. I think ALL WOE's have that unfortunate side effect. My friend lost 100lbs on WW. It took her two years because she went through 2 HUGE plateaus during those 24 months. Her first plateau started after her first 5 months on the program and it lasted 4 months! She did everything by the book, worked out, nothing, no budge. And then the next month BAM! She started losing again for quite a few months after and then BOOM plateau again. She stuck it out. And eventually the scale started moving again. She got to goal and is always in a perpetual maintenance program. Point is I am so inspired by her patience and stick-to-it-ness because it must be sooooo frustrating to be doing what you're supposed to be doing and not seeing any losses. Exactly what you are going through. I wouldn't know because I've been the person that after a few months of nothing happening I give up and go back to my old ways and think "oh well guess I'm just meant to be a fat girl". But I don't want to do that anymore. I like this woe because it doesn't feel like a diet yk? I am learning things about myself and this time I want to show myself I have patience and can stick it out!

Anyway I guess my long winded point is maybe you should stick it out a little longer and see what happens? I like your idea of journaling about it too. Hang in there!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Oh, I was never planning on quitting. The only thing I'm changing is to eat 500 calories on DDs instead of 0 cals like before.

I just wanted to whine about it.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #284

Whining is sometimes what it takes to get the Whoosh Fairy to come visit. I hope she/he hears you!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm not sure anyone has ever accused me of not eating enough before.

We'll see how doing the 500 calories on DDs go. Color me skeptical, though.
Oh I also wanted to mention calorie cycling. I was reading up on that when I was researching I.F. options. I feel like when you got under 200 you kind of were doing that with UD, UD, UD, DD, DD, MD. Maybe shock your body into moving some pounds out for good? I by no means am not an expert, just trying to figure this out with ya! You can do it! The main thing is DON'T GIVE UP!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh I also wanted to mention calorie cycling. I was reading up on that when I was researching I.F. options. I feel like when you got under 200 you kind of were doing that with UD, UD, UD, DD, DD, MD. Maybe shock your body into moving some pounds out for good? I by no means am not an expert, just trying to figure this out with ya! You can do it! The main thing is DON'T GIVE UP!!!
I calorie cycled over Thanksgiving, again on Christmas through New Years and finally again on my birthday/Superbowl weekend (weekend before last).

Wait a minute?!

I might see the problem...

Old 02-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #287
Senior LCF Member

All joking aside, I appreciate the help.

I do feel that there should have been more loss over January than there was but who knows? Fortunately, holidays and trips are done for a while, so hopefully I can get some long term rotations in.

I am wondering about the helpfulness of short diet breaks, but I haven't done rotations without a break long enough to even consider something like that. It also looks like the people here that got to goal didn't need them.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
I calorie cycled over Thanksgiving, again on Christmas through New Years and finally again on my birthday/Superbowl weekend (weekend before last).

Wait a minute?!

I might see the problem...

LOL, perhaps? Anyway, I also wonder if you need some time to settle in to rotations again and let JUDDD work its magic. You know you have some inflammatory issues from the other threads and it may be that your body has some healing to do before its ready to drop below that magic spot.

Also, you don't have to be doing LC to journal. I journal about the potato hack, which is about as un-LC as you can get. Course, then it turned into to many other things, but originally about potatoes.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
I am wondering about the helpfulness of short diet breaks, but I haven't done rotations without a break long enough to even consider something like that. It also looks like the people here that got to goal didn't need them.
Havers. Dawn/KeirasMom, Carly, LCG amongst others have taken maintenance breaks during WLM. I took one within 3 lbs of my initial 130lb goal because I was thoroughly burned out by the repeated plateaus - as it happened, I lost the remainder during maintenance and never officially had to return to WLM.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm increasingly wondering if it's better to have regular breaks to retain metabolic flexibility and to reduce the metabolic adaptation that is the corollary of dropping kcal intake and weight loss. (NB, better is relative and doesn't obtain when someone needs to drop mass as part of a medically-necessary intervention.)

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Havers. Dawn/KeirasMom, Carly, LCG amongst others have taken maintenance breaks during WLM. I took one within 3 lbs of my initial 130lb goal because I was thoroughly burned out by the repeated plateaus - as it happened, I lost the remainder during maintenance and never officially had to return to WLM.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm increasingly wondering if it's better to have regular breaks to retain metabolic flexibility and to reduce the metabolic adaptation that is the corollary of dropping kcal intake and weight loss. (NB, better is relative and doesn't obtain when someone needs to drop mass as part of a medically-necessary intervention.)
That's good to know.

I don't want to sound like a fanboi but I have several of Lyle McDonald's dieting books. He has some pretty compelling evidence that taking regular diet breaks helps to "snap back" the metabolism. It's nothing crazy; just two weeks of eating at maintenance calories. The frequency depends on how overweight the dieter is and how severe the restriction. For normal dieters, it's roughly two weeks every 8 - 12 weeks. The breaks are eating at normal levels, not crazed free for alls.

Of course, now I need to get to 8 - 12 weeks of solid rotations to even consider this.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #291
Big Yapper!!!!

I hope the two weeks I've taken off from rotations give me a leg up.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #292
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I hope the two weeks I've taken off from rotations give me a leg up.
You never know - they might.

The trick with diet breaks is to not gain back all your losses (not saying you in particular Librarygirl, just in general).
Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #293

When I first read about the diet breaks and needing one every 8-12 weeks, I looked back over my history, and realized that's relatively close to when I would take one, just naturally listening to my body. I think, for me, it was more like every 3-4 months of hard-core dieting, I would take a break, still doing JUDDD, but at maintenance calories. I didn't use any specific time frame for when I'd return to dieting, but my body would inevitably naturally lead me back to lower calorie rotations. Sometimes, that was in a week or two, sometimes in a month. I really think it was helpful to me, emotionally and physically.

10/24/11 @ 277.6
January 2014 @ 145
Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #294
Big Yapper!!!!

I have stayed the same as I was when I took the break--5 lbs up from my lowest (after a DD), but was already at that even with rotations. Hoping I am a little less than I was this morning in actuality.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Where did you read about the diet breaks every 8-12 weeks?

Just because of holidays/visitors and the like, I had a couple of weeks off in August, a week in late November and a couple of weeks over Christmas, so I suppose that might count as short maintenance breaks every 2-3 months.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Completely OT - you know the 24HoursofHappy site? Pharrell Williams' song, Happy (from Despicable Me 2), danced by lots of different people? Well, I don't know if any of you have seen the 5am video (it's on YouTube), but towards the end, round about 52- mins or so is a glamorous redhead in a fabulous pink dress that somewhat put me in mind of some of Library Girl/Cindy's flea market finds.

I've been playing a lot of the videos while I'm cleaning and painting as they are remarkably spirit-lifting for me
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #297
Big Yapper!!!!

That sounds nice, Slow. I think I'm going to wear one of my flea-market finds on Thurs. to a Valentine's fund-raising dinner. It's a red dress. I haven't decided if I want to buy shoes to wear with it, or just my knee-high black boots since the weather's not so good here at the moment.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
Where did you read about the diet breaks every 8-12 weeks?
I first read about it in Lyle McDonald's book "A Guide to Flexible Dieting". It's also in his PSMF book, "The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook".
Old 02-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, I was never planning on quitting. The only thing I'm changing is to eat 500 calories on DDs instead of 0 cals like before.

I just wanted to whine about it.
Good! Whine away! We'll listen! Now...any advice on sports bra shopping or taxes?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good! Whine away! We'll listen! Now...any advice on sports bra shopping or taxes?
For taxes, I just use Turbo Tax Home and Business. I have a little side consulting business but my taxes are pretty simple. We also don't have state income tax here, so that simplifies it even more.

I can't help pick out a bra but everyone should PM pictures to me and I'll let you know what I think.

You can trust me. I'm an expert.