Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Dry skin

the dry leg syndrome
I regularity loofah the guys off in the tub, and have used every lotion that
Wal-Mart sells.
I drink lots of water.
I load the oils on my leg, actually all over.
Are my legs hopeless?
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Winter dry skin is a struggle, for sure. Do you have eczema, by any chance? I got that diagnosis at the allergist a couple of years ago. Evidently it's a pretty mild case, but it's there. My whole life I've been "itchy". My nose, my skin, my scalp. Now I know why - allergies and eczema.

CO is a great moisture barrier on the skin. You can melt it in the bath, or rub it into damp skin after showering. Smells great, absorbs quickly. I use it on my hair as a hot oil/deep conditioner every so often too.

I just love CO for so many things. My family teases me that I am with CO like the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding is with Windex. "Put some Windex on!"

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
My wife uses CO on her skin. I thought it was going to be a bad winter for me but I am not having any problems at all. If my fat intake gets too low, my lips get chapped but that hasn't been a problem recently.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I make a homemade coconut oil/olive oil/raw sugar scrub every week. LOVE it. Much cheaper than the dead sea salt scrub I loved and, oddly enough, doesn't make the shower floor slippery like the bought scrub did. I don't have a HUGE dry skin problem, but I can feel the difference.
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
There's a recipe on FB that I want to try for an inexpensive cream mix that is purported to be wonderful for very dry skin. I think it is Johnson's baby lotion (not oil) (16 oz), vaseline (13 oz) and Vitamin E cream (not lotion) (16 oz) . Just those three ingredients, and the person recommended Family Dollar for the ingredients, over any other store. Not sure why. You can buy inexpensive glass jars with lids to store it, from there or the Dollar Store, because it will surely make more than one container's worth. I want to try it.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
I make a homemade coconut oil/olive oil/raw sugar scrub every week. LOVE it. Much cheaper than the dead sea salt scrub I loved and, oddly enough, doesn't make the shower floor slippery like the bought scrub did. I don't have a HUGE dry skin problem, but I can feel the difference.
Do you apply it with your hands? Or do you recommend a loofa sponge?

Lots of good ideas here. My legs are generally dry, too. I call it alligator skin. All scaly. Slathering most any kind of lotion on it right after showering while it's still damp helps a lot.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshine_icicles
Stats: Current 160, Goal 140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/12/13
I suffer from horrible (horrible! Excruciating! Downright nasty wouldn't wish on a terrorist!) eczema!

I've been on steroidal creams and ointments my entire life. Potent ones. My hands crack and bleed rivulets of blood daily, especially in winter. I get alligator skin on my legs that is so painful I can't wear pants!

But the moisturizer I swear by?? Bag balm. The square green can of petroleum/lanolin/antiseptic with the cow and clover on the lid. It's made for udders, and won't win any scent choice awards but it works.

As a girl who's tried everything, and believe it--every brand available in the US and many from overseas.....I use bagbalm. The combo of the ingredients are a winner, especially after any contact my skin has with water or wind.

I think the price is around $10 to $15 for a good size can, although they do offer a mini can too. But I slather the stuff on, and the large can at the price is a good value, as it lasts a while.

I forgot! I too tried coconut oil, vitamin e oil, evening primrose, cocoa butter, mango butter, etc! I've done all the natural remedies too! Nothing worked for me! Except udder grease. Who knew, right?

Last edited by Sunshine_icicles; 01-17-2014 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: Forgot something!
Sunshine_icicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:59 AM   #8

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I think I need to get the bag balm. My chilblains end up getting very dry and ulcerate, crack and bleed, and nothing seems to help. I've tried a TON of lotions!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #9

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Oh Sunshine, that sounds horrible! I'm glad you finally found something that works for you. I tried Bagbalm several years ago on my hands, and they broke out. So no bagbalm for me.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
plus, i know you drink water, but honestly, try drinking more than you thought you possibly could. it really will help.

sounds like you have the external remedies covered!
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Eat fat, drink water. For me, it makes a difference.

In winter I do not wash with any form of soap (unless I have reason to believe I am super dirty or sweaty). I loofah or rub down with a clean washcloth. Then rinse.

CO everywhere. Let it set a few minutes then gently blot off any excess and apply my favorite lotion (right now it is one Dottie suggested: St Ives Collagen Elastin Moisturizer).

I had psoriasis on my ankles, ezema on my face, and dry cracking painful skin everywhere...but it has been years since those have been a problem. I love doubling up CO with something else.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Do you apply it with your hands? Or do you recommend a loofa sponge?

Lots of good ideas here. My legs are generally dry, too. I call it alligator skin. All scaly. Slathering most any kind of lotion on it right after showering while it's still damp helps a lot.
I do it just with my hands. It's certainly rough enough and I just like to keep my loofah "clean". But you could certainly use the loofah.

I'm a little drier this time of year, but I live in the south where it's very humid. My hands and lips are giving me the most problem but it's not bad. Well, except my feet. Constantly fighting my feet since I love to go barefoot. I did just buy a bunch more socks, tho.

I use the St. Ives Collagen moisturizer, too. I really like it.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 01-17-2014 at 09:21 AM..
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote