Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ldavis
Stats: 226/220/160
WOE: juddd
Start Date: December 2013
wt gain after exercising?

Does anyone else tend to retain water after exercising? Im finally starting to add back exercise after stopping for a few months but then i get sore and wt goes up. A little discouraging. How long does the water weight usually last?
ldavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monkeypenny
Stats: 157/155/130 (age: 38)
WOE: JUDDD (it works if you stick to it. Well, if... )
Start Date: 16/04/2014 - just another restart :)
That's totally normal. Your body retains water in order to calm and heal your stressed muscles. That will last only for a few days, then the water will be "flushed out".
And when you are getting used to excerise, the water retention won't be as strong as in the beginning.
Monkeypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the response :-) this happens to me every time i start exercising then cant seem to lose. Well hopefully it will be different with juddd
Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
i am hoping this is the case with me. i had a DD yesterday. went to spin class. gained weight.

not exactly a helpful motivator to keep up the exercise!
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
In 2012 when I hired a personal trainer my weight went up at first. But hang in there. As you stick to it your weight will start to drop dramatically. Your newly built up lean muscle will start burning extra calories. I can look back at my journal from that time and see when I got into the routine of serious workouts where the trainer kicked my butt, my weight loss was wonderful.

In Krista Varady's book she sites studies that prove people who do ADF and exercise lose twice as much weight as those who just do ADF. That's encouraging!

After a long time away, I'm finally getting back to the gym on a regular basis. I can feel the muscles perking up and as I stick with it, I'm expecting great results.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Yes- it's normal, but it is frustrating.
I've been working out more and my weight has been holding steady (I'd expect to be losing a bit), but I can see I'm getting tighter and my waist is getting just a bit smaller.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
This can be so discouraging! But I think it is soooo important that we not be ruled by the metal box when deciding whether to exercise or not.

Let's make up a theoretical person and call her Jane. Jane starts cutting calories, and is losing nicely. Then she starts adding in exercise. Jane can't see what is happening inside her body, but her muscles are a little sore and retaining water. She's gaining muscle tissue, which is heavier than fat. She's gradually burning more calories at rest. She's losing fat. Only the scale shows a gain! Jane panics, decides exercise is bad for weight loss, and stops. The scale starts showing more predictable losses again, only now a lot of what is lost is lean body mass. She's actually losing less fat than she was before, but the scale looks better so Jane feels more successful. Jane makes it to goal, but her body fat percentage is higher than what she thought it would be at that weight, and she can eat fewer calories to maintain her weight.

There's lots of other variables of course ... maybe Jane ate lots of protein and didn't lose as much lean body mass, or maybe Jane was doing too much of types of cardio that weren't building a lot of lean body mass anyway. I just think it is so important that we try not rely only on the scale to let us know if we are doing well, but look at other measures ... the fit of our clothes, measurements, and body fat testing when possible.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Very Christina.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Christina makes an excellent point and has a wonderful example. The only thing I'll add is that muscle is more dense than fat. (Sorry, one of the resident science nerds here.) A pound of muscle weights exactly the same as a pound of fat. However, a pound of muscle takes up eminently less space than a pound of fat. This is why, as you're maintaining or even gaining on the evil metal (or, in my case, metal & glass) box, you're clothes are looser and the tape measure is friendlier.
This picture is one of my favorites. My goal weight is below 150# but if I looked like the girl on the far right - I don't care WHAT the scale says!!!
The more you lift and exercise, the less you will retain water. Your body will get used to the exercise and you won't have such dramatic water retention.
Exercise is so good for you in so many other ways.
The scale is nothing but pure evil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All 150 pounds.jpg (42.2 KB, 31 views)

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Christina makes an excellent point and has a wonderful example. The only thing I'll add is that muscle is more dense than fat. (Sorry, one of the resident science nerds here.) A pound of muscle weights exactly the same as a pound of fat. However, a pound of muscle takes up eminently less space than a pound of fat. This is why, as you're maintaining or even gaining on the evil metal (or, in my case, metal & glass) box, you're clothes are looser and the tape measure is friendlier.
This picture is one of my favorites. My goal weight is below 150# but if I looked like the girl on the far right - I don't care WHAT the scale says!!!
The more you lift and exercise, the less you will retain water. Your body will get used to the exercise and you won't have such dramatic water retention.
Thank you, I wanted to mention the density v's weight issue, but didn't know how to say it as succinctly. I get irrationally irked when someone says muscle weighs more than fat, even though I know what they mean. It's just my OCD.

I've seen that picture several times, and it's weird. I'm 5 pounds less than the women in the picture and I look more like the the 6'1" model, even though I'm 4" shorter. It's baffling to me, because I don't have much muscle. I do have a belly pooch though. It often makes me wonder how much my extra skin weighs, and if my "true" weight, without the extra skin might be lower than I think. My arms and legs are long and lean (which I adore), but I'd love to get rid of the midsection.

ETA: I just looked at the sizes they wear, and I wear smaller sizes than all of them (except the size 2!), so I think I'm being objective, though it could be wishful thinking.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!

Last edited by KeirasMom; 01-19-2014 at 07:15 AM..
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
It often makes me wonder how much my extra skin weighs, and if my "true" weight, without the extra skin might be lower than I think. I'd love to get rid of the midsection.
I wonder the same about the weight of my excess skin and how much I confuse the excess skin with fat. I hate my midsection as well and have a pooch, but I think some of it is also excess skin. My upper thighs and upper arms are terrible!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the correction, and I'm glad you knew what I meant (that muscle weighs more than fat by volume, and that muscle gains can cause the scale to stay stuck or go up even when fat is being lost). I have to remind myself of this EVERY DAY right now as I am most definitely in a caloric deficit and increased my exercise a lot over what it has been for the past months and the scale has not moved all month. No matter what I know in my head, it's discouraging. I might need to stay off the scale for a bit.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
This can be so discouraging! But I think it is soooo important that we not be ruled by the metal box when deciding whether to exercise or not.

Let's make up a theoretical person and call her Jane. Jane starts cutting calories, and is losing nicely. Then she starts adding in exercise. Jane can't see what is happening inside her body, but her muscles are a little sore and retaining water. She's gaining muscle tissue, which is heavier than fat. She's gradually burning more calories at rest. She's losing fat. Only the scale shows a gain! Jane panics, decides exercise is bad for weight loss, and stops. The scale starts showing more predictable losses again, only now a lot of what is lost is lean body mass. She's actually losing less fat than she was before, but the scale looks better so Jane feels more successful. Jane makes it to goal, but her body fat percentage is higher than what she thought it would be at that weight, and she can eat fewer calories to maintain her weight.

There's lots of other variables of course ... maybe Jane ate lots of protein and didn't lose as much lean body mass, or maybe Jane was doing too much of types of cardio that weren't building a lot of lean body mass anyway. I just think it is so important that we try not rely only on the scale to let us know if we are doing well, but look at other measures ... the fit of our clothes, measurements, and body fat testing when possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the correction, and I'm glad you knew what I meant (that muscle weighs more than fat by volume, and that muscle gains can cause the scale to stay stuck or go up even when fat is being lost). I have to remind myself of this EVERY DAY right now as I am most definitely in a caloric deficit and increased my exercise a lot over what it has been for the past months and the scale has not moved all month. No matter what I know in my head, it's discouraging. I might need to stay off the scale for a bit.
I'm soooooooo glad for this thread today. I went looking for it! Chris, I feel just like you! DH and I have been going to the gym every other day. Sometimes I go every day. It is thrilling to see how quickly my muscles and my body respond to weight training, cardio and stretching.

They say "muscles have memory" and that if you worked out a lot when you were younger, your muscles respond much more quickly than if you had not. Well, I DID and they ARE!

I'm feeling amazing in so many ways. Also, I'm starting to fit into clothes I have not been able to wear for a few months because they just got too tight.

HOWEVER! The scale, the evil metal box, is quite stuck. I've lost 8 pounds since December 20th when I started back to my JUDDD rotations after a long break. (no rotations, no exercise, food free-for-all).

I'm definitely happy about losing 8 pounds in just shy of one month. But it's driving me nuts even though I absolutely know my body is working on building muscle and burning fat. I haven't been tested, but wouldn't be surprised if most of that 8 pounds that came off and is staying off is pure fat.

Somehow we have to find a way to be happy about this and burn it into our heads!

I knew exactly what you meant about fat verses muscle.

Somewhere on this forum a while back I posted a picture I found of what 5 pounds of fat looks like. The researcher lady was holding it in her arm like you would hold a new born baby and it was about the size of a new born baby. Then there was a contrasting picture of 5 pounds of muscle. Wow. I have got to go back and find that.

I've heard the comparison of 5 pounds of sponges verses 5 pounds of a rock. The rock would be very small in inches compared to the width and height of the pile of sponges.

Anyway. Again. So glad for this thread and you people!

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 01-19-2014 at 02:52 PM..
Old 01-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Let's see if this works. It was not the exact one I was looking for. If you google 5 pounds of fat you will finds lots of photos!

5-pounds-of-fat-vs-5-pounds-of-muscle-mass-comparison.jpg
Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

I like this one, too. Click on the picture to make it bigger in either post so you can see it better.

5-lbs-of-fat.jpg
Old 01-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
(that muscle weighs more than fat by volume, and that muscle gains can cause the scale to stay stuck or go up even when fat is being lost). I have to remind myself of this EVERY DAY right now as I am most definitely in a caloric deficit and increased my exercise a lot over what it has been for the past months and the scale has not moved all month. No matter what I know in my head, it's discouraging. I might need to stay off the scale for a bit.
I think I too must avoid the scale with my big increase in exercise. I should be losing with the massive deficit, but the scale is stuck at 127 which is highly aggravating. Ordinarily I would be back under 123 by now, but I can tell I'm getting tighter/ more toned and all my skinny clothing fits and normally it would be tight at 127.

Patients, patients, patients (and less power to the scale).
Old 01-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

after reading this post, i think that is why i have been avoiding weight training. absolutely ridiculous of me, but there you go.

it is beyond time for me to start toning up.

i have been doing some serious thinking about losing muscle tone and weight training. i am thinking i may start doing some toning and ditch the scale for february.

why does that scare me so much?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
WOE: JUDDD
Colleen, I could have written this.^^^^^ I seem to have such a mental block about it!

Must change my thinking. Must change my thinking........... I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Yesterday was an UD and this morning I had a +1.8 bounce. I think I'll start calling it a bounce and not a gain.

I'll be working out hard today at the gym with upper and lower body weight resistance and then 45 minutes of intense interval cardio. Then I'm going to spend 10 minutes stretching. They have this great stretching device. Can't describe it. I'll have to take a picture of it and show you.

I would call it a glorified ballet bar but it's much more. You could do chin ups on it. There are bars everywhere, it's about 7 or 8 feet tall and there are instructions for stretching every muscle in your body. So great after a serious workout. So good for my back, too.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, I was going to add that I have made a decision as of this morning to expect scale disappointment during the first stages of my weight training. I am choosing to believe that the weight I have lost (8 pounds after DDs) is fat. Or mostly fat. And I choose to believe that I'm gaining muscle. Fitting into smaller pants is proving this.

I'm not going to have the body fat% test for about 6 months or so. That's because I really want to build some serious muscle before I do it. It just wouldn't be encouraging to me if I had it done now and it confirmed what I already know. I'm carrying around way too much fat on my body and I need to do strength training and build muscle and lose fat.

So, I resolve to NOT be bummed by the number on the scale. My bounces after very filling and satisfying UDs are between 1 and 2 pounds. Then after the next DD it goes back down to show the 8 pound loss. It's probably good that my body is staying there for a while. Maybe it's making a new set point.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great plan, Yam! I wish I had your 8 pound loss. Since I hadn't been in weight loss mode since August, I had in my mind that the pounds would come off easily once I started proper rotations and more exercise again. I know I"m doing the right things, and l like you I am already seeing muscle changes and my clothes are fitting better, so that confirms that what I am doing is working, it's just not showing a thing on the scale. It's hard to get over the idea that you aren't losing fat if the scale isn't going down, thogh, right? So I'm taking a scale break until the end of the month so I don't let the scale make me .

Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Well finally lost the 5 pounds i gained plus an extra 1/2 pound since last week when i really started working out a lot. So excited! Now i just want to get below 220:-)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis View Post
Well finally lost the 5 pounds i gained plus an extra 1/2 pound since last week when i really started working out a lot. So excited! Now i just want to get below 220:-)
this is AWESOME!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Oh, I was going to add that I have made a decision as of this morning to expect scale disappointment during the first stages of my weight training. I am choosing to believe that the weight I have lost (8 pounds after DDs) is fat. Or mostly fat. And I choose to believe that I'm gaining muscle. Fitting into smaller pants is proving this.

I'm not going to have the body fat% test for about 6 months or so. That's because I really want to build some serious muscle before I do it. It just wouldn't be encouraging to me if I had it done now and it confirmed what I already know. I'm carrying around way too much fat on my body and I need to do strength training and build muscle and lose fat.

So, I resolve to NOT be bummed by the number on the scale. My bounces after very filling and satisfying UDs are between 1 and 2 pounds. Then after the next DD it goes back down to show the 8 pound loss. It's probably good that my body is staying there for a while. Maybe it's making a new set point.
You are sounding so upbeat......love it!

I think you're making a wise decision to wait for the body fat test.

I'm refusing to get on the scale right now because I, unfortunately am affected by its readout, especially now that I'm lifting again.
I'm letting my clothes act as a barometer of any muscle gain.

Oh, and I believe we have a stretching machine at our gym.....not sure if it's like yours, but I'll wait for your picture and then confirm.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Great plan, Yam! I wish I had your 8 pound loss. Since I hadn't been in weight loss mode since August, I had in my mind that the pounds would come off easily once I started proper rotations and more exercise again. I know I"m doing the right things, and l like you I am already seeing muscle changes and my clothes are fitting better, so that confirms that what I am doing is working, it's just not showing a thing on the scale. It's hard to get over the idea that you aren't losing fat if the scale isn't going down, thogh, right? So I'm taking a scale break until the end of the month so I don't let the scale make me .

I don't think I could ever take a scale break while I'm in WLM. I relate scale breaks to weight gain, so it would mess with my head. We are all so different aren't we? Some people can weigh once a month and be fine. I can't even stay off it on after an UD. I kind of need to know. Usually I can look at that post UD number and figure out where I'll be the next day if I don't mess up my DD. Then I have something to look forward to. That's how I'm feeling tonight. Good DD today. Ready to see the bounce from this morning disappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis View Post
I know you will! Congratulations on such a great loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post
You are sounding so upbeat......love it!

I think you're making a wise decision to wait for the body fat test.

I'm refusing to get on the scale right now because I, unfortunately am affected by its readout, especially now that I'm lifting again.
I'm letting my clothes act as a barometer of any muscle gain.

Oh, and I believe we have a stretching machine at our gym.....not sure if it's like yours, but I'll wait for your picture and then confirm.
I was there today and forgot all about taking a picture of it. I'll try to remember day after tomorrow when I'm back there again. I really love that thing! I do all kinds of stretches on it.

I agree with you about using clothing as a measure of losing fat and gaining muscle. The pants don't lie, right?
Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Thanks for the photos. I look at those and I think - ok, yes, maybe I really can slim down significantly with 10 more pounds of fat gone. I'm a bit above my lowest low, but at that point I had 10# (of fat) to lose to be at 26% (I think) body fat, per my hydrostatic body testing done last June. I'm hoping for a recheck soonish, if the blasted truck will ever come closer than 2 hours south. But, based on testing at that time, 146# would put me at the high range of healthy. Anyway, I don't remember the BF%, but I do remember the target weight of 146. I've been building muscle as I've been lifting since Sept, and I can see it - its pretty dang awesome under the flab! LOL! But I still look at myself in the mirror neeked and I think- there is no way 10# will get that gone. But, you know what, based on these photos - 10# might just get that gone!
So, again, thank you for the visual reminder of how much space 10# of fat can really take up.
These threads are so inspiring for when we get down. I my JBs!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

We you, too, Yennie! I really needed to hear that about your lifting since Sept and your chiseled muscles. That's just awesome. It's inspiring me to stay the course.

Every time I look at pictures of fat verses muscle it amazes me. I tend to lose very evenly, all over by body for some reason. So, I picture breaking that up and slapping it on everywhere from head to toe. But I've got a lot more than 5 pounds to lose and if I thought too much about it I would get really sick and discouraged.

I'm going to be a heck of a lot thinner when I reach my final goal weight. And more sculpted too because I will keep lifting weights. I am determined now.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:24 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lola5k
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/JUDD
Start Date: Atkins 2004/JUDDD Feb 2012
Lots of really good replies here butI would also like to add. Its important also to drink lots of water to flush out through your body.

I see now end of people in the gym working out really hard with either no water or taking only tiny little sips. Our body is made up of 75% ish of water so we need to replenish and flush through. Also people worry about lifting heavy weights in case they get really muscly - that won't happen. Weights also burn a lot of calories as well as cardio.

Well done on getting back onto the exercise saddle.

One goal at a time. One pound at a time. One day at a time

Last edited by lola5k; 01-21-2014 at 01:27 AM..
lola5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lola5k
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/JUDD
Start Date: Atkins 2004/JUDDD Feb 2012
Quote:

lola5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola5k View Post
Lots of really good replies here butI would also like to add. Its important also to drink lots of water to flush out through your body.

I see now end of people in the gym working out really hard with either no water or taking only tiny little sips. Our body is made up of 75% ish of water so we need to replenish and flush through. Also people worry about lifting heavy weights in case they get really muscly - that won't happen. Weights also burn a lot of calories as well as cardio.

Well done on getting back onto the exercise saddle.
I sooooooooo agree with drinking water. It's a no brainer for me. I just always have water with me and it's usually very cold. Yesterday I brought a quart sized thermos. And I finished most of it by the end of my workout and the rest of it in the car on the way home. Then filled it right up again and started guzzling.

So, Lola, I have a question about weight lifting. I have heard several people say that women don't need to press more than 40 pounds on the chest press. Do you think that's true? I'm at 40 right now and probably won't be at the point where I want to increase for another week. But I'm debating about whether to up it or not.

I'm at 175 pounds, 4 sets of 15 on the leg press. I plan to get to 250 pounds. Do you think there should be any limit there? Or it's whatever a gal can handle. I have pretty strong legs.