Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 05:06 PM   #211
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Good thinking, Trigger! I must say that the time you've taken to give me some well-thought out advice about LC has been invaluable to me. I appreciate it more than I can say.

I will say and you can verify it by my weigh-ins, that I haven't gained and have maintained more or less for 6 months or more. I seem to be stuck around 175ish, no matter what route I've tried--so far. Even eating junk carbs, with DDs, I could maintain. I just can't lose. I hope this is the ticket!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/123/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I'm coming up on 50 yo (April 1st), and haven't had TOM in over 6 months. I know my metabolism is not humming along at all like it used to. It can't even carry a tune anymore.
Oh my goodness Cindy, I would bet money that's the main cause of your long stall. You're right in the middle of the biggest hormonal change a woman goes through after puberty and pregnancy. My body felt like it belonged to someone else for about 2 years. And I didn't maintain my weight as you have done --- I *gained* a bunch of weight. I tried weight watchers, Volumetrics, hard core exercise (that lasted about a month...) you name it. It wasn't until my hormones finally calmed down a full year from my last TOM that I was able to lose anything.

If you are going through menopause you should pat yourself on the back for being able to maintain your losses so well. I know that some women come through without any physical distress but some of us go through some really dramatic changes. This may be your big symptom. The main thing is to realize that you are *not* failing. Your body has a whole lot going on right now and there's nothing at all unusual in not being able to lose weight when you're right in the middle of it.

Don't worry, it will pass and you'll start to lose again. And you'll feel a lot more settled in a number of different ways. Hang in there.
Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:34 PM   #213
Big Yapper!!!!

Locarbarella, I figure I probably would have gained (even more) if I hadn't started trying to lose weight about the time this peri-meno started. I've been dieting since Sept. 2012 with a vengeance, so I guess I could have gotten even bigger than I was if I hadn't. I hope that you're right about it "passing". That would be awesome!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #214
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Menopause or perimenopause could be causing all kinds of issues. I rarely think about it, since I haven't yet had the pleasure, but it could also be causing your cravings. I know you're doing everything you can, and I'm impressed with your stick-to-it-iveness.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #215
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you, Dawn.I will also admit that I don't have the drive (or the OCD ) that you, Carly and Flutter (and others I'm sure!) seem to have. I have tried a little less gung-ho than you guys and hoped for the same results lol. I think metabolism has worked against me, but also not being as strict as I could've been. At any rate, I'm still striving. Give me a gold star for that.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Gold star given. We're all in this together.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #217
Big Yapper!!!!

Yep, and you are a star yourself, Kristin. I don't think I replied adequately to another encouraging post you wrote for me. It really spoke to me, and I think you are a very wise, caring woman. I'm sure you're a wonderful actress as well.

ETA: I hate that I seem needy and always searching for help or confirmation. I don't want to draw attention to myself or dominate the board with MY problems. I just feel that this is the only place I can be honest about my struggles and I am, by nature, a person who talks out things. I hope I haven't offended anyone by my constant griping.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 01-31-2014 at 06:47 PM..
Old 01-31-2014, 11:11 PM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Cindy, I want you to know, and I am SURE others would agree, that your openness and honesty mirror many of our same struggles, and I for one can't seem to open up about them easily. As a result, you are a hero for me, because all the wonderful responses help me too, from time to time.

So....you are a gold 5-star JUDDER.....Angel-heart!!! (thanks for the sweet compliment to me too)

Never, never stop talking to us about ANYTHING!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:15 AM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Quote:
I'm coming up on 50 yo (April 1st), and haven't had TOM in over 6 months. I know my metabolism is not humming along at all like it used to. It can't even carry a tune anymore.
That’s just the point when I regained all the weight I’d lost 7 years earlier. You’re holding steady, which is a major victory at that stage! I’ll be 53 in April, and last year it all seemed to fall back into place, and I had the energy to tackle a plan, and my body agreed to let go of the weight.

Menopause is horrible, but there is life on the other side .
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:19 AM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Quote:
Locarbarella, I figure I probably would have gained (even more) if I hadn't started trying to lose weight about the time this peri-meno started. I've been dieting since Sept. 2012 with a vengeance, so I guess I could have gotten even bigger than I was if I hadn't. I hope that you're right about it "passing". That would be awesome!!!
Absolutely! I’m sure you’re way better off than if you had done nothing. And you’re there ready to get going as soon as your body will cooperate.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:04 AM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
That’s just the point when I regained all the weight I’d lost 7 years earlier. You’re holding steady, which is a major victory at that stage! I’ll be 53 in April, and last year it all seemed to fall back into place, and I had the energy to tackle a plan, and my body agreed to let go of the weight.
Omg, this is SO encouraging! Thanks, thanks.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:05 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

And yeah, Cindy, if we didn't identify, we wouldn't be hanging out on this thread. I'm grateful for this one, lately.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #223
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)

for everyone that is struggling!
This IS the place to come and hash it out.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
LG, knock if off with this "sorry to be my needy" stuff and "don't want to dominate the board" yadda yadda stuff, ok? You are loved here! Cantcha' tell?!? Everyone here is pulling for you and wants you to succeed...and we KNOW you WILL!!!!!! PLEASE keep posting, its part of what makes this place so special, you posting what you're going through, and everyone wanting to help. We all cycle through being the one needing help, and being the ones trying to help.

The meno thing is no joke!!!!! It makes so much sense that this could be a large part of the issue right now...and that also means that you have helped your bod sail through a ridiculously tumultuous time in the kindest way possible. Just think how awesome it'll be when meno settles down and exits!

Anyhow. Love you mucho, oodles much!!!!! Xoxoxo

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #225
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you GF.At least I didn't start another thread.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thank you GF.At least I didn't start another thread.
Careful. I will start a thread or two for you! hehe!!!! Xo
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
believe me LG your threads help so many people. you might be asking questions and advice, but in the end what is written by others helps me a ton also. these threads are so helpful and a benefit all of us!

LG I don't want to come off as pushy either what I type is just to help. I have gotten a ton of help from this board. every little bit written can help someone at some time in their journey.

I like your threads.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/123/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
LG, knock if off with this "sorry to be my needy" stuff and "don't want to dominate the board" yadda yadda stuff, ok? You are loved here! Cantcha' tell?!? Everyone here is pulling for you and wants you to succeed...and we KNOW you WILL!!!!!! PLEASE keep posting, its part of what makes this place so special, you posting what you're going through, and everyone wanting to help. We all cycle through being the one needing help, and being the ones trying to help.

The meno thing is no joke!!!!! It makes so much sense that this could be a large part of the issue right now...and that also means that you have helped your bod sail through a ridiculously tumultuous time in the kindest way possible. Just think how awesome it'll be when meno settles down and exits!

Anyhow. Love you mucho, oodles much!!!!! Xoxoxo
Ditto to this. Your struggles are something we can all relate to at one time or another and all the great advice you elicit from your fellow JUDDDers is helpful to every one of us.

Give yourself a break. It isn't easy trying to lose weight under the best of circumstances, as we all know. To do it when the body is under other stresses makes it twice as hard.

Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #229
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hey! Ditto to the fact that this is a helpful and very needed thread!! and to everyone here. We have our ups we have our downs. and I'm not just talking about UD/DDs. This is just such a great place to come and share our experiences and our doubts and work out our next steps. This is the best group around for sure.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Cindy, this thread has helped me a lot. I go a few weeks or two just sailing by then BAM I hit a wall and just go through some kind of resistance that I'm having a hard time understanding. At my age I chalk most of it up to lifelong bad habits. Very hard to break. Like I've said, I lost 65 fairly easily doing LC and have tried to break the stall by doing JUDDD. I stick to it for a few weeks fairly easily. I would kill to be under 200. I know my poor body needs to be lighter and healthier. When I talk about this to my doc, he turns it around and praises me for the 65 I have kept off. And my blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol are way better now. But I sure don't give myself any credit. I stress about staying the same for so long.

So I completely understand where you are coming from. I know you can meet your goal because you are not giving up. Neither am I. It does help to know others understand and I thank you for being so honest.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!

Last edited by JayLynn; 02-01-2014 at 12:26 PM..
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BroadwayBaby
Stats: 265/224/165
WOE: Lost 35 on WW/-6 on JUDDD...so far
Start Date: 1/18/2014-JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
esterday and today I thought, "If I had just done Stillman's or Dukan or some version of LC starting on December 20th I might have been back down 20+ pounds right now instead of only 9.4."

Or you instead of losing 9.4lbs you could've GAINED another 20lb from trying to stick to VSLC, getting frustrated and giving up! Slow and steady wins the race. I was just Skyping with my friend who has lost 5 pounds in January from doing the 8HR DIET. Another I.F. diet where you fast for 16 hours and eat inside an 8 hour window. Now he's says because of working and commuting (LA TRAFFIC IS INSANITY) he does better with a 9-hour window of eating. He said today that maybe 5lbs doesn't seem like a lot in a month but at least he was able to eat his beloved Chipotle a couple times a week and his Cheezits! LOL! He's also working out but doing things he enjoys, hikes, light swimming in his pool, long walks in the neighborhood, going salsa dancing. The main point, he is doing things he ENJOYS, he is eating in a way that he can continue to do and not feel deprived. It's like JUDDD for me, it doesn't feel like a "diet" diet yk? I think you figured out what works for you and THAT is key. We are all individuals and what works for one person may not work for another. There are different forms of I.F that are out there. I've been recently researching them to see if there is anything that grabs me but honestly I'm loving JUDDD!
BroadwayBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I bet you aren't discouraged anymore LG

you have a path to try and see what happens. that is a good thing

How ya doing?
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #233
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm doing well, Trigger. I have stayed the path since I recommitted, and am hopeful for a loss soon. So far, I haven't gone down on the scale and am still 4 lbs over my lowest last month. Hard to believe that one full day of junk carbs put on real weight. Anyway, I'm thinking of making today a high DD to boost weight loss.

How are you doing?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
My daughter is a physiology researcher. She says the reason they don't study women is that we're far too complex - too many untameable variables. No surprise here.
Imagine that. Whodaeverthunk??? It's really sad that we've lost the innate ability to eat when hungry, stop when full or satisfied, ain't it?

Quote:
Boy do I understand that. I feel like I work very hard to have DDs and keep within calories on both days (and sometimes fail, sometimes succeed), but have to be absolutely perfect to lose anything at all. Then one extra UD or the wrong choices and I've taken 2 steps backward. It's like a whirlpool where I feel like I'm getting to the edge and will eventually go over into the wonderful flow of things, but I'm just treading in circles.
Boy, can I relate to that - excellent visual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Gold star given. We're all in this together.
What Joy (and others following her) said.

Quote:
ETA: I hate that I seem needy and always searching for help or confirmation. I don't want to draw attention to myself or dominate the board with MY problems. I just feel that this is the only place I can be honest about my struggles and I am, by nature, a person who talks out things. I hope I haven't offended anyone by my constant griping.
No one, obviously, is offended. I'm a well known whiner around here, always trying, struggling, and yet never getting anywhere. I'm just a few years older than some of you, 56. Gosh that number looks so old when I'm mistaken for being in my 40's (and on occasion, 30's!). Anyway, I'm post-menopausal and also had that hysterectomy 1-1/2 years ago (my, time flies). You are most certainly not the only who struggles with this weight loss thing, or lack thereof!! I'm sure there's many lurkers who can identify with you (and all of us)!

Quote:
I'm doing well, Trigger. I have stayed the path since I recommitted, and am hopeful for a loss soon. So far, I haven't gone down on the scale and am still 4 lbs over my lowest last month. Hard to believe that one full day of junk carbs put on real weight. Anyway, I'm thinking of making today a high DD to boost weight loss.
So, you're sticking with just mainly LC and throwing in a DD here and there instead of a typical JUDDD schedule?

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #235
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't really know yet, Nilla. All I know is that I'm sticking to LC, and if I feel like a DD, I'll have one. I was planning on one today, but too hungry to make it. I hope LC alone is enough to help me lose.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I don't really know yet, Nilla. All I know is that I'm sticking to LC, and if I feel like a DD, I'll have one. I was planning on one today, but too hungry to make it. I hope LC alone is enough to help me lose.
Crossing my fingers for you girl! I hope it's just what you need right now!! Keep going!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #237
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBaby View Post
Or you instead of losing 9.4lbs you could've GAINED another 20lb from trying to stick to VSLC, getting frustrated and giving up! Slow and steady wins the race. I was just Skyping with my friend who has lost 5 pounds in January from doing the 8HR DIET. Another I.F. diet where you fast for 16 hours and eat inside an 8 hour window. Now he's says because of working and commuting (LA TRAFFIC IS INSANITY) he does better with a 9-hour window of eating. He said today that maybe 5lbs doesn't seem like a lot in a month but at least he was able to eat his beloved Chipotle a couple times a week and his Cheezits! LOL! He's also working out but doing things he enjoys, hikes, light swimming in his pool, long walks in the neighborhood, going salsa dancing. The main point, he is doing things he ENJOYS, he is eating in a way that he can continue to do and not feel deprived. It's like JUDDD for me, it doesn't feel like a "diet" diet yk? I think you figured out what works for you and THAT is key. We are all individuals and what works for one person may not work for another. There are different forms of I.F that are out there. I've been recently researching them to see if there is anything that grabs me but honestly I'm loving JUDDD!
You are so right, BB! Thanks for saying that. Like you, I'm loving JUDDD right now. I was so happy snuggling into bed last night. I had eaten everything I wanted to eat all day long on my Super Bowl UD. I just kept thinking "I really ate pizza! And I didn't feel one ounce of guilt!

Today's DD was welcomed, went well, and I'm feeling a sense of control and also feeling like I'm doing something good for my body. Not just trying to lose weight, but really doing some good anti-aging and health things.

At my doctor's appointment this morning it was great to tell her everything is going really well, except for the cold that is still hanging on. But she said this bad cold I caught is really going around so it's no surprise. I'm getting better though. And I feel even the cold and sniffles will be gone soon.

I'm reading a lot about all kinds of IF. Right now I'm still reading Mosley's 5:2 book and getting a lot out of it. Even if I don't do IF perfectly every day, there is still some benefit.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 02-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #238
Blabbermouth!!!

LG: Don't ever, ever think that we are in any way tired of you sharing your feelings and your struggles. If I'm getting anything at all from the books I'm reading, I'm getting that we are all unique. And, what works for one person does not necessarily work for another.

Also, what works for me at one stage of this journey may not work at another stage. The possibilities for tweaking and experimenting along the way are endless.

It really helps when we can come here, be honest, and help each other out.

You have given me a lot to think about with the idea of pulling back on carbs at times and I know I would definitely go the LC route for a while if I were seriously stalled and frustrated. Just to get the scale moving even a bit!

So big and keep on sharing!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #239
Big Yapper!!!!

Good for you Yam! It's a wonderful feeling to feel in control of your appetite, and also to know that you're losing. I thought I had control with JUDDD, and I had conquered the DDs more or less, but I just went too crazy on UDs. The good thing is, I know I can maintain with JUDDD, whether I eat carbs or not. For now, I'm going to stick with LC and see if it will work for continued losses.

ETA: I think we posted at the same time lol. Thank you for all the support, GF!

Last edited by Librarygirl; 02-03-2014 at 06:21 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
I hope so, too. I really loved eating just LC, but still couldn't lose anything. I knew I was doing my innards good (especially my liver and pancreas), but still can't understand why I wasn't losing. I'm still eating LC most of the time, though.

Looking forward to hearing your results.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote