Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
For me, I know LC is better for me. I was so overweight for so long that my metabolism just will not deal with carbs, yet at least. I have a bad habit of "rewarding" myself with carby foods here and there and I always regret it. Its a horrible habit to break. If I eat LC if just plain feel better. Don't know why I cant get that through my head.
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #182
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
It's true Jan. I didn't have enough LC food stocked in the house for one thing, and for another I made a decision (albeit, bad) to eat pizza, cupcakes, candy and drink regular soda. I had a full day of it, and it's no wonder I jumped up 5 lbs overnight. I wish I could drop 5 lbs overnight, lol, but it doesn't usually work the opposite way with me, unfortunately.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
For sure, Cindy. Planning ahead is very important when it comes to eating the foods that are good for us.

Heck, even when I have all the right stuff within reach, sometimes I eat the crap instead. The carby stuff still makes an appearance around here because hubby eats a regular diet. He eats carbs and has no problem with them.
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Trigger's right. You're doing something right--eating healthy and sticking to a plan. That's all you can do, and it's way ahead of most of the population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I'm 4:3 in this pattern and have been since Jan 2013. It fits in well with my sports activities.

And, agreed it's not glamorous, more of a hard slog that feels completely thankless at times, but Trigger and LG are right - you're mindful about what you eat and you're not gaining. Sadly, this puts you way ahead of a substantial part of the population.
Thanks, girls. I've been keeping Saturdays as my higher carb day, and that has spilled over into Sundays and a day or two during the week. NOT good for me. That's only because I buy a few things I really miss having and they're still around when the day is over. I'm going to keep them to one meal as opposed to a whole day. There's no doubt that once I have a few too many carbs, I'm a goner.

So, Yam, you're doing the same schedule as me? It works so much better for my life and how our weekends are. Plus, when I did do it EOD, I didn't see any better loss. Apparently, my body is a slug no matter which schedule I do!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #185
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Cindy, you're not alone. I had a PB and wine (yes, don't judge me!) fest Monday and Tuesday evenings. I resisted the urges until late in the evening both days, but both days I could feel it was imminent. I feel better now, and had a decent UD yesterday. Sometimes you just have to give in to it. And then jump back onto plan when you can. You can do it!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #186
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Vanilla:

I'm doing straight EOD with an occasional MD thrown in. Sometimes accidentally.

This week the UDs happen to fall on M-W-F which works well because that makes Super Bowl Sunday an UD for me.

I've been thinking a lot this week about whether strict LC works better for me or if just doing JUDDD the simple way does.

Here is what I've been thinking:

1. In August of 2011 I did the Dukan diet and lost 20 pounds by the end of the month. So in 31 days I lost 20 pounds doing pretty strict LC. (I had never even heard of JUDDD back then!) It took me until December of 2011 to lose 7 more pounds which put me at -27.

Observation: It was very hard to do. I kept a meticulous journal of everything. If I "blew it" and ate carbs on just one day, the scale would jump up as much as 7 pounds and it would take me a week or two of VLC, very strict and very low cal to get it back off. I was depressed a lot, felt deprived and definitely felt like I was suffering. Miserable way to live. But, I lost weight faster and kept it off as long as I stayed miserable, refused social events and even stayed home when DH went to Florida to a fabulous resort to attend a business conference for a week. Did I say I was lonely and miserable?

2. I discovered JUDDD at the end of December of 2011 when I was surfing around the LC Friends site. I dove in. Over the next several months I was so excited to get to eat carbs every other day! I definitely felt the effects of the rescue gene when I went on vacations, gained some weight and then found it came back off after only 2 DDs most of the time. Eventually I lost 15 more pounds over the next 6 months. Not fast weight loss, but much more fun than LC.

Observation. JUDDD WOE was a slower way to lose but didn't make me miserable. Period.

3. After a very stressful year in 2013 where all attempts to lose weight went out the window and I had to just focus on getting through, I decided to come back to JUDDD on December 20th of 2013. Note: during 2013 I had gained back quite a bit of the weight I had lost in 2011/2012 and I'm still too bummed about it to change my stats up.

However, since starting ADF again on December 20th I have lost 9.4 pounds. The scale she bounces and the 9.4 down is pretty much what it goes back to after DDs. After UDs it bounces any where from .8 to 4.2 believe it or not! A few days ago it bounced up 4.2 after an UD and then went back down 4.2 after the next DD. It's usually not that huge of a bounce! After my last DD it went up .8 so the scale is weird.

Observation: Obviously I lose faster doing VLC than I do with eating carbs and JUDDDing. Believe me, I have thought about that. Yesterday and today I thought, "If I had just done Stillman's or Dukan or some version of LC starting on December 20th I might have been back down 20+ pounds right now instead of only 9.4."

Further observation: I need to not be miserable and obsessive right now. Just cannot torture myself that way. There are other benefits to IF besides weight loss. I am constantly reading and reading about all the benefits. I have decided I would rather lose slowly on JUDDD and enjoy the simplicity of the eat/don't eat rhythm than to go back to the finger biting, craving inducing, self-depricating, guilt ridden torture of strict LC every day all day.

Sorry for the long post! Obviously I could go on but lucky for you, I shall zip my lips now!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #187
Big Yapper!!!!

The thing with me is that it's not coming off with eod rotations. It comes off, then it goes back. Over and over. The only thing that seems to be working is LC + rotations. Today I'm getting back into LC and not really having a DD by the book. I have to come to the conclusion that I am addicted to junk carbs and sugar. They are not good for me whether I'm dieting or not, and I'm not giving up brussel sprouts or carrots. I'm giving up junk. I have to just keep telling myself that.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Sorry for the long post! Obviously I could go on but lucky for you, I shall zip my lips now!
You are too funny!!

I'm truly envious of anyone who can figure out what helps them lose!! I sometimes think I should quit visiting here as much, just stick to my JUDDD schedule, keep my DD numbers in line and just live my UD, and take my losses as they come. Many know I sometimes struggle to eat enough on my UD, so I know UUAD's aren't a problem for me (notwithstanding the holidays!).

I think visiting here (many other forums aside from the JUDDD board) and seeing people lose like crazy disheartens me. When I see someone who's lost 25 lbs. in 2 months and complaining of a stall I want to scream.

Ugh, Yam, I could go and on myself!! I just reviewed and deleted a bunch of stuff I've rehashed over and over again here. Thanks for sharing your insights and glad JUDDD is working for you. I guess it's working for me, too, just achingly s-l-o-w.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The thing with me is that it's not coming off with eod rotations. It comes off, then it goes back. Over and over. The only thing that seems to be working is LC + rotations. Today I'm getting back into LC and not really having a DD by the book. I have to come to the conclusion that I am addicted to junk carbs and sugar. They are not good for me whether I'm dieting or not, and I'm not giving up brussel sprouts or carrots. I'm giving up junk. I have to just keep telling myself that.
I keep thinking of you so much as it's almost as if we're twins. Except that you've lost 30 lbs. and the most I ever lost was 14 lbs. on JUDDD years ago! You still rock when it comes to that success!

I don't know if starting a LC/JUDDD thread and posting our menus would help. But .. ugh, I don't really post menus anyway as I eat the same things so much of the time. Maybe just posting what our carb/calorie numbers were for the day. I dunno, though, I can see me slacking on that, too. Chalk that up to laziness if I don't come to LCF for a few days (weekends, mainly).

I'm hoping having the one carb day, which has been now cut down to a meal, will shake my body up. Maybe your body needs constant shake-ups like mine. Maybe you need a weekend where you don't JUDDD at all every few weeks or something.

It appears we don't have many or any of the classic low thyroid symptoms, so we must just have stubborn bodies. No matter what, I feel for you.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #190
Big Yapper!!!!

I do have a lot of the low thyroid symptoms, but have been told my thyroid is completely normal. I know that I don't under-eat or eat small amounts all of the time like you say that you do. I eat a lot lol. LC is about the only way I can control my calories, or even eat a little more and it not affect my weight. So, I can't really blame my thyroid even if it isn't stellar, but overeating consistently.

Gotta do the right thing and get back on track. Seems like a lot more work that it used to lol.

I just figured up the calories of the junk I ate throughout the day and until bed yesterday and it was over 4000 calories.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 01-30-2014 at 12:56 PM..
Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #191
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
You are too funny!!

I'm truly envious of anyone who can figure out what helps them lose!! I sometimes think I should quit visiting here as much, just stick to my JUDDD schedule, keep my DD numbers in line and just live my UD, and take my losses as they come. Many know I sometimes struggle to eat enough on my UD, so I know UUAD's aren't a problem for me (notwithstanding the holidays!).

I think visiting here (many other forums aside from the JUDDD board) and seeing people lose like crazy disheartens me. When I see someone who's lost 25 lbs. in 2 months and complaining of a stall I want to scream.

Ugh, Yam, I could go and on myself!! I just reviewed and deleted a bunch of stuff I've rehashed over and over again here. Thanks for sharing your insights and glad JUDDD is working for you. I guess it's working for me, too, just achingly s-l-o-w.
Nilla:

Figuring out or KNOWING what worked for me was so much easier when I was younger. I absolutely knew that Stillman's worked. It always did and was my go to. But grapefruit worked too. In my twenties if the scale went up 3 pounds, I ate a grapefruit, went to aerobics class and the next day the 3 pounds was gone. If I gained 5 pounds over a wild weekend, I ate a hard boiled egg for breakfast, a hamburger with no bun for lunch and a slice of turkey for dinner, drank a bunch of water, exercised before bed and within a day or two --- voila! --- like magic, the 5 pounds was gone. I never let myself gain more than 3 to 5 pounds before immediately taking action to get rid of it. And what I did to get rid of it worked.

Not so anymore. Oh the many joys of aging.

Yep. seeing someone lose really fast is a reason to rejoice for them and then say "but what about me???? What's wrong with me and why can't I do that??"

Like you, I'm losing way slower than I want to. I know. Not as slow as you. But slower than I want to for me.

But I keep asking myself: "what is the alternative?" I kept weighing myself in 2013 after our house move, after watching my sister die, after a ton of other stressful and tragic things happened. Every time I stepped on the scale it went up. Rarely and briefly down -- and only miniscule losses. I seriously gave up for a while and just said: "What the H - e - double hockey sticks. I just am not going to deal with it right now." I couldn't. I didn't. And I gained.

So, I don't have any alternative but to do something. If I do nothing, I gain. I don't just stay the same. It would have been great to be able to take a break to deal with life in 2013 and stay the same and then just come back and go from there. I'm not that lucky.

What I have to do right now has to be simple, flexible and enjoyable. No compromise on any of that. I'm emotionally fragile at this stage and I know it. What I love about this forum is everyone always saying "you have to do what works for you." I'm gonna go with that and embrace it.

Hugs to you and here's to hoping you can continue to experiment and hit on something that makes you feel really good about where you are at and where you are headed.

(the zipper on my lips broke.)
Old 01-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #192
Big Yapper!!!!

Yam.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Reading the above posts puts me in mind of the recent video with the phrase,
Quote:
Comparison is the thief of joy.
Also, the conversations 'nilla, Yam, LG and others had about Shannon Sorrel's book, Then Just Stay Fat.

I strongly agree with people's personal experimentation to find a WOE that suits individual lifestyles rather than imposing a Procrustean fit with a rigid regime that demands perfect compliance or it throws you into a metabolic funk/no man's land for a few days. Which puts me in mind of Steph's beautiful posts: Working with my present reality and 1 Year on JUDDD. The stand-out quotation for me is from the latter:
Quote:
JUDDD has spoiled me for other diets. I would much rather keep experimenting with different things within the JUDDD framework than try a new plan--because it is the only diet I have ever found that works with me. It does not ask me to change who I am or what makes me happy, etc. It only asks me to wait until tomorrow. And that has more power than I can ever communicate to anyone.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #194
Blabbermouth!!!

"JUDDD has spoiled me for other diets. I would much rather keep experimenting with different things within the JUDDD framework than try a new plan--because it is the only diet I have ever found that works with me. It does not ask me to change who I am or what makes me happy, etc. It only asks me to wait until tomorrow. And that has more power than I can ever communicate to anyone. "

Good stuff indeed SS. Thanks for bringing that back.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:44 AM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Gotta do the right thing and get back on track. Seems like a lot more work that it used to lol.

I just figured up the calories of the junk I ate throughout the day and until bed yesterday and it was over 4000 calories.
wow LG. you had 'way too much' fun with 4000 cals. of junk

eh, we all do it at some point.

it is obvious you are in a confusing state of how to follow a 'plan'. lc and juddd, down days?, just lc? which is better? what will work faster?

you said it yourself already----you can eat more on lc only and not gain, not feel bad, vs. eating less with carby stuff and feeling cruddy.

You pick something and stick with it now.

LG I am gonna have to smack ya now

You are gonna have to have some white knuckle time here. Some commitment. You are going to have to stop with the excuses.
any person with problems, be it smoking, gambling, carboholic, whatever?, has to at some point to commit and TRY. Not give in. White knuckle thru the first few weeks. It has to be done or the cycle won't stop.

believe me I have done it! Tons of us have. At some point someone has to tell you it is time to stand up, face it head on, be stronger than ya ever have, and commit to lc ways and just stay there.

and you go fill up that house with lc options. very very important.

and if you feel like you are going to jump into carby ways, get on this board and ask for help to talk ya off the cliff All your friends will help.

I worry you might say 'who cares I give up' instead of 'time to commit and do this thing with a vengence'.

remember it takes weeks to get those cravings gone and fighting thru them is what has to be done. all the while eating lc foods til you are satisfied.

I ate entire packages of bacon some days just to not eat carbs. and I lost weight the next day. believe me stick to lc and knuckle thru, eat LC as much as you want to carry you thru and in the end you will get into a good program of lc and see the benefits.

There is an lc'er in you!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:11 AM   #196
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
wow LG. you had 'way too much' fun with 4000 cals. of junk

I worry you might say 'who cares I give up' instead of 'time to commit and do this thing with a vengence'.

remember it takes weeks to get those cravings gone and fighting thru them is what has to be done. all the while eating lc foods til you are satisfied.

I ate entire packages of bacon some days just to not eat carbs. and I lost weight the next day. believe me stick to lc and knuckle thru, eat LC as much as you want to carry you thru and in the end you will get into a good program of lc and see the benefits.

There is an lc'er in you!
I so agree with the above. It is NOT EASY.

I eat lower carb mostly and I will tell you it took all of January for me to get over the Christmas sugar orgy. This week I am finally not craving anything with sugar. I have not given in and I think I still have one more bag of chocolate chips in a freezer somewhere. BUT a month is a long time to struggle but I survived and succeeded. FINALLY. NO.MORE.SUGAR. for me and I will do well.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:13 AM   #197
Big Yapper!!!!

I feel like I've been sent to the corner. That's what I get for being so honest. I won't make excuses, I won't make excuses, I won't.

I do know how to follow a plan, and have followed one for over a year and kept 30 lbs off. The trouble is, I have found that I have to "white knuckle" it as you put it, Trigger, just to stay within my calories while eating carbs on UDs. That is why I started trying to eat LC. Along with JUDDD. Obviously, I'd rather not do JUDDD if I could lose successfully with LC alone, but I'm afraid it wouldn't work. So far for 2 weeks I have followed LC and JUDDD and have lost a couple of pounds (up until a couple of days ago)...what if I hadn't done rotations and only LC? Would I have lost anything? I don't know. It's true I am confused and not completely sure what route to take--although I know I want to ditch junk food and eat primarily LC, whether or not I follow rotations.

I'm in a conundrum. To JUDDD or not to JUDDD. That is the question.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 01-31-2014 at 06:15 AM..
Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
I feel like I've been sent to the corner. That's what I get for being so honest. I won't make excuses, I won't make excuses, I won't.

I do know how to follow a plan, and have followed one for over a year and kept 30 lbs off. The trouble is, I have found that I have to "white knuckle" it as you put it, Trigger, just to stay within my calories while eating carbs on UDs. That is why I started trying to eat LC. Along with JUDDD. Obviously, I'd rather not do JUDDD if I could lose successfully with LC alone, but I'm afraid it wouldn't work. So far for 2 weeks I have followed LC and JUDDD and have lost a couple of pounds (up until a couple of days ago)...what if I hadn't done rotations and only LC? Would I have lost anything? I don't know. It's true I am confused and not completely sure what route to take--although I know I want to ditch junk food and eat primarily LC, whether or not I follow rotations.

I'm in a conundrum. To JUDDD or not to JUDDD. That is the question.:confused:
I can only speak for myself here, but for ME, I can (and do/have) lost weight well on both plans, in about the same amount of time for each. Here's the key...I have to have that mental, magic "switch" turn on and then FOLLOW THE PLAN! It doesn't matter what plan, for me, just that I DO IT. (I know this is NOT the case for everyone, just was for ME. Yes, I know I'm extremely lucky that way)

I loved LC, and it got me to my goal several times... I just couldn't stay there indefinitely and regained. Basically, I got tired of feeling deprived all the time and said "the hell with it." Bad. Had I known about Juddd, I probably could have switched then and kept the weight off. Maybe you can LC until you get to your goal, or closer, then do rotations again? I don't know, only you know the answer...but you're doing great trying to sort it through and find what's best FOR YOU! There is no way I could have tasted "a bit" of carbs while LC'ing, and gone right back to LC. I love my chocolate too much. It is definitely an all or nothing thing for me. But maybe, just maybe, you can push yourself in to it knowing it's good for you, will get you to your goals, and then you can always switch later?

Regardless, love you and always here for you gf. I want you to figure out what is going to work best and get where you want to be! Why must the process be so hard? BOO!!!! YOU WILL GET WHERE YOU WANT TO BE! YOU WILL FIGURE OUT WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU!!!

Last edited by Flutter; 01-31-2014 at 06:37 AM..
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 AM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats adillenal cutting out that sugar draw is HARD. but ya did it! alot of us sure had our troubles thru the holidays. getting back into the zone is key and you are there!

LG
I know you can follow a plan. what I mean is you are not sure now how to work your days. So you have to pick something.

and I know JUDD allows up days to have some carbs you like. but then ya gotta ask in all honesty to yourself 'can I really have those carbs and be ok? not crave. not have to white knuckle thru a day after wanting carbs again? are the carbs making me sluggish, tired, bloated? are the carbs getting out of hand? do I have control?

I did it. I tried a million ways to have carbs in my life. you know, the bad ones that I loved. I tried and tried but no matter how I worked them in they got me. made me crave. a crave into days of carbs. back to the drawing board and white knuckle to get them out of my system. tried again and failed to eat things I knew in my heart were my downfall, yet I could not let them go.

then one day I let them go. I tell ya what a stinking relief. calm. easy. peace. I almost automatically not eat carbs without the feeling of deprevation. but that took alot of time

when I chose LC way of life believe me I had such struggles with letting go of a huge food group. the biggies. the sweet treats, fried foods with crispy coatings, and allt he flour products, cheetos and all that stuff.

there isn't an lc'er who started that would ever tell you it was easy....lol....no way! it is horrifying coming to grips with a way of eating for life.

Do 1 week full low carb only. no rotations. YOU must give it time obviously.

1 week. no sugar/carbs. stick to lc options each day---eat as much of it as you want---no skimping if you are hungry. eat bacon, eggs, steaks, roasts, chicken with skin, veggies loaded with butter or garlic butter, shrimp, fish any way, chicken parm the lc way, blt the lc way, fancy crazy salads that are yummy and huge

I know you can do all this. You are the type that can. I think you are just confused on how to proceed so pick 1 week with full lc and see if you can handle it and see what the scale does to you.

if you don't try it, you won't know. if you don't know, you can't say it didn't work

Another thing don't be afraid of the good fats. It is hard to get your mind around the fact you can have as much as you want of bacon/eggs in the morning, a huge ribeye with veggies with butter every other night, tons of shrimp in alfredo sauce mixed with yummy veggies every other day. but you can.

and the fatty decadence of the meals is what keeps you satisfied.

once you find a direct path, stick with it and see the results and experiment, then you can switch up a few things if wanted. you have to start somewhere committed tho before any changes to the plan can start. once you got a starting point, you can change things to suit yourself. everyone does. it has to be that way. find that lc way to fit into your lifestyle.

Last edited by Trigger828; 01-31-2014 at 06:42 AM..
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Congrats adillenal cutting out that sugar draw is HARD. but ya did it! alot of us sure had our troubles thru the holidays. getting back into the zone is key and you are there!

LG
I know you can follow a plan. what I mean is you are not sure now how to work your days. So you have to pick something.

and I know JUDD allows up days to have some carbs you like. but then ya gotta ask in all honesty to yourself 'can I really have those carbs and be ok? not crave. not have to white knuckle thru a day after wanting carbs again? are the carbs making me sluggish, tired, bloated? are the carbs getting out of hand? do I have control?

I did it. I tried a million ways to have carbs in my life. you know, the bad ones that I loved. I tried and tried but no matter how I worked them in they got me. made me crave. a crave into days of carbs. back to the drawing board and white knuckle to get them out of my system. tried again and failed to eat things I knew in my heart were my downfall, yet I could not let them go.

then one day I let them go. I tell ya what a stinking relief. calm. easy. peace. I almost automatically not eat carbs without the feeling of deprevation. but that took alot of time

when I chose LC way of life believe me I had such struggles with letting go of a huge food group. the biggies. the sweet treats, fried foods with crispy coatings, and allt he flour products, cheetos and all that stuff.

there isn't an lc who started that would ever tell you it was easy....lol....no way! it is horrifying coming to grips with a way of eating for life.

Do 1 week full low carb only. no rotations. YOU must give it time obviously.

1 week. no sugar/carbs. stick to lc options each day---eat as much of it as you want---no skimping if you are hungry. eat bacon, eggs, steaks, roasts, chicken with skin, veggies loaded with butter or garlic butter, shrimp, fish any way, chicken parm the lc way, blt the lc way, fancy crazy salads that are yummy and huge

I know you can do all this. You are the type that can. I think you are just confused on how to proceed so pick 1 week with full lc and see if you can handle it and see what the scale does to you.

if you don't try it, you won't know. if you don't know, you can't say it didn't work

Another thing don't be afraid of the good fats. It is hard to get your mind around the fact you can have as much as you want of bacon/eggs in the morning, a huge ribeye with veggies with butter every other night, tons of shrimp in alfredo sauce mixed with yummy veggies every other day. but you can.

and the fatty decadence of the meals is what keeps you satisfied.

once you find a direct path, stick with it and see the results and experiment, then you can switch up a few things if wanted. you have to start somewhere committed tho before any changes to the plan can start. once you got a starting point, you can change things to suit yourself. everyone does. it has to be that way. find that lc way to fit into your lifestyle.
Yep. Maybe time to just really throw yourself in completely to LC, no rotations and just see. Play the mental game of telling yourself it doesn't have to be forever. (because it doesn't! there is always Juddd!) I would do 2 solid weeks of LC. No excuses, no bites of anything else! Just push your mind in to doing 2 weeks and see. When I was getting rid of cravings, I was south beaching and doing phase 1 for 2 weeks. worked like a champ!

Last edited by Flutter; 01-31-2014 at 06:47 AM..
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #201

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
No corner Cindy, just tough love.

I think the LC 2 week Induction with no rotations may be a great solution, and I'll bet you will lose doing that. Lots of good fats to keep the flavor up and your satiety high. It might also be somewhat of a relief not to have to think about rotations for awhile. Just eat when you want to, as long as it's good, luxurious, protein/fat foods. I'll be interested to see how you do if you decide to try this.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #202

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Cindy, big hugs to you and what you're going through is not fun, I know.

I agree with others who have said to try LC for a couple of weeks without rotations and see what it does for you. By low carb, I mean not just cutting out the "junk carbs" which is what you've been doing, but actually keeping your carbs to a set amount (20 grams or whatever) of low carb veggies, eggs, and what-not. Eat to satisfaction with plenty of good meats, cheeses, etc. You might find you enjoy your choices and lose weight in the process. If not, JUDDD will always be here.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ok--I agree with the others. I up my 1 week lc to 2 full weeks

see, LG, I am trying to spare you the wasted time. I had SO MUCH wasted time jumping around not sure what to do....all the while if I JUST committed to something and work it very hard and best of my ability at least I would have gotten somewhere. know myself better what foods help or hurt, know if I can handle a certain plan, get away from cravings, get into a set routine which helps vs. jumbled mess of what to do.

I lost so much time NOT losing while trying to decide what do I do?

for me it was finally back on lc all the way and stick to it and boom, it is working well for me.

don't question it any more. pick a way and go heck bent into it full speed with commitment and gusto

and if something doesn't set right after you truly have given it your all, and you know you have without hestiation, then you can tweak and change a bit. baby steps in different directions.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #204
Big Yapper!!!!

I think I will commit to 2 weeks of LC only, with maybe a little less food on some days if I feel like it. I think I might have confused people by acting like *I* was confused about what to do--I have already committed to LC. I did have a major slip up, but I never thought I could go back to eating that way and lose weight successfully. The *only*thing I was vacillating about was whether to JUDDD *with* LC or LC alone. JUDDD is just a schedule, and does not promote any particular foods, only intermittent fasting...that's what I wondered if I should continue--IF or straight LC all day every day.

I don't plan to count carbs yet or stop eating all carby vegs and fruits. I will still eat apples occasionally, and sweet potatoes (occasionally)...really I can't think of anything that I would be tempted by except junk food in the carb category. I'm not a bread lover or potato lover, so those I can drop quite easily.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your support and advice. It means everything.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 01-31-2014 at 11:14 AM..
Old 01-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm in a conundrum. To JUDDD or not to JUDDD. That is the question.
This is where I live. Constantly. I keep thinking it's worked so well for so many JB's (including me years ago), that something's gotta give (namely, my *#$%&@ body ) and I'll begin really losing. If I had my choice of how to "diet", it would be low carb. I'd be happy eating LC 90% of the time. My way. No ladders, no hard rules. The 10% is to account for when there is severely limited choices. So, I did Atkins 72 (because I tried Atkins and I hate "ladders") and I lost all of 3 lbs. I think. But, I love eating LC because it keeps me satisfied, I literally DO forget about eating. If I was forced to choose between LC and JUDDD, I'd choose LC. Because I can eat every day.

There were so many excellent posts up there that I didn't "quote" from. Comparing ourselves to others (raises hand, obviously), Steph's thoughts, etc. and I was nodding to every post. Trigger's thoughts hit home, too. Just pick something and stick with it. Truly, I want to just eat LC everyday and my husband would love for me to just do that. I'd do it with no holds barred if someone could tell me it'll take 6 months for your body to give it up and then you'll literally begin disappearing. Trigger, I did pop into your board and that's really how I want to eat - low carb my way.

It's going on day after day, week after week, month after month, and not seeing any (real) progress. I do know that the 4.5 lbs. in my siggy is progress. But to me, progress is losing inches, losing clothes sizes like so many others. Yeah, comparing again. I guess, basically, it gets frustrating to be trying, trying, and trying some more and not feeling like any headway is being made.

Eek ... I know this is your thread, Cindy, and I don't mean to hijack. I feel real sympathy ... empathy ... to everything you write.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
This is where I live. Constantly. I keep thinking it's worked so well for so many JB's (including me years ago), that something's gotta give (namely, my *#$%&@ body ) and I'll begin really losing. If I had my choice of how to "diet", it would be low carb. I'd be happy eating LC 90% of the time. My way. No ladders, no hard rules. The 10% is to account for when there is severely limited choices. So, I did Atkins 72 (because I tried Atkins and I hate "ladders") and I lost all of 3 lbs. I think. But, I love eating LC because it keeps me satisfied, I literally DO forget about eating. If I was forced to choose between LC and JUDDD, I'd choose LC. Because I can eat every day.

There were so many excellent posts up there that I didn't "quote" from. Comparing ourselves to others (raises hand, obviously), Steph's thoughts, etc. and I was nodding to every post. Trigger's thoughts hit home, too. Just pick something and stick with it. Truly, I want to just eat LC everyday and my husband would love for me to just do that. I'd do it with no holds barred if someone could tell me it'll take 6 months for your body to give it up and then you'll literally begin disappearing. Trigger, I did pop into your board and that's really how I want to eat - low carb my way.

It's going on day after day, week after week, month after month, and not seeing any (real) progress. I do know that the 4.5 lbs. in my siggy is progress. But to me, progress is losing inches, losing clothes sizes like so many others. Yeah, comparing again. I guess, basically, it gets frustrating to be trying, trying, and trying some more and not feeling like any headway is being made.

Eek ... I know this is your thread, Cindy, and I don't mean to hijack. I feel real sympathy ... empathy ... to everything you write.
Oh, man, me too, me too! Everything you're saying, 'Nilla, including loving all the posts above.
I'm 52 this week and suspect that my bod is reacting differently than it was even two years ago on Juddd. Slow to lose, quick to gain. This is part of the reason I'm not weighing. I figure I'm using this time to learn what feels good and what feels bad - I'll just have to wait for losses. If I saw the same number every day I'd jump ship, in which case those numbers would begin to climb, and quickly.

And LC is peace, once I accept it. I'm certain that junky carbs have more effect on me than last time I did Juddd. I swear I feel waves of anxiety and borderline despair go through me in the hours post-sugar consumption.

Anyway, thank you all for this wonderful stuff.

My daughter is a physiology researcher. She says the reason they don't study women is that we're far too complex - too many untameable variables.
No surprise here.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Cindy, I just want to say first of all that I see you as a very intelligent, compassionate, honest person with a great sense of humor to boot! I also think you are successful at whatever you do in life.

After reading the last few posts, i was prompted to go back and read through many posts from the beginning of this thread. I felt like the good advice given was really just supporting what you had already decided to do yourself. No criticism intended,of course. I just feel like you need emotional support as much as anything!

Like many said, we all mess up, stumble sometimes, and even completely fall off the wagon. Not one of us are super human!!!

I believe with all my heart that so many things can interfere with what we know and want to do. It may be stress, relational(a biggie), or needing a break. We are human afterall and those feelings are REAL! I am 100% confident you are in the game to win!

What I'm offering you today, sweetest heart, is my sincerest love and support and that you will continue to have strength for this journey that is so important to you (all of us)

If you haven't already done so, go back and re-read even your own posts at the beginning of this thread, AND remember one of my favorite quotes. The one about not giving up on your dreams....the time will pass anyway. LOVE THAT!!! There have been many times in the past that I put off doing what was best for myself with all kinds of excuses, only to think later: "Look where I could have been if I had just gotten started, or stuck with it, or whatever!!"
I hope this is making some sort of sense!! I'm not as articulate as many here.

for a dear JB today.

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

to JUDD with lc or not to JUDD with lc?

that is the question

I would NOT JUDD with lc right now. give yourself 2 weeks to adjust to the food regimen. just concentrate on LC. LC foods.

if you attempt to do the real JUDD also, it might just tax you too much. WHY do that to yourself? one thing is enough on one's plate.

few weeks on lc. find some good meal choices. good snacks. all you need to do the 2 weeks best you can.

then if JUDD comes into play, go for it. do lc with JUDD. many do and do it well.

I know at my age now (52 with menapause hanging around) that if I take on too much at one time, I can't commit. one project gets my complete attention. when it is time to change you will be ready then.

I always liked your posts for their honestly of your feelings and the true emotions that goes along with these big changes in our lives. I can connect with what you say for sure you keep on chatting out your detours cause believe me when I read the replies from others, I get tons of great info from them also.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:04 PM   #209
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Boy do I understand that. I feel like I work very hard to have DDs and keep within calories on both days (and sometimes fail, sometimes succeed), but have to be absolutely perfect to lose anything at all. Then one extra UD or the wrong choices and I've taken 2 steps backward. It's like a whirlpool where I feel like I'm getting to the edge and will eventually go over into the wonderful flow of things, but I'm just treading in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Oh, man, me too, me too! Everything you're saying, 'Nilla, including loving all the posts above.
I'm 52 this week and suspect that my bod is reacting differently than it was even two years ago on Juddd. Slow to lose, quick to gain. This is part of the reason I'm not weighing. I figure I'm using this time to learn what feels good and what feels bad - I'll just have to wait for losses. If I saw the same number every day I'd jump ship, in which case those numbers would begin to climb, and quickly.

And LC is peace, once I accept it. I'm certain that junky carbs have more effect on me than last time I did Juddd. I swear I feel waves of anxiety and borderline despair go through me in the hours post-sugar consumption.

Anyway, thank you all for this wonderful stuff.

My daughter is a physiology researcher. She says the reason they don't study women is that we're far too complex - too many untameable variables.
No surprise here.
Your daughter is a genius. My bf says I think too much. I wonder if that could be part of the problem. There I go thinking about it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitnow View Post
Cindy, I just want to say first of all that I see you as a very intelligent, compassionate, honest person with a great sense of humor to boot! I also think you are successful at whatever you do in life.

After reading the last few posts, i was prompted to go back and read through many posts from the beginning of this thread. I felt like the good advice given was really just supporting what you had already decided to do yourself. No criticism intended,of course. I just feel like you need emotional support as much as anything!

Like many said, we all mess up, stumble sometimes, and even completely fall off the wagon. Not one of us are super human!!!

I believe with all my heart that so many things can interfere with what we know and want to do. It may be stress, relational(a biggie), or needing a break. We are human afterall and those feelings are REAL! I am 100% confident you are in the game to win!

What I'm offering you today, sweetest heart, is my sincerest love and support and that you will continue to have strength for this journey that is so important to you (all of us)

If you haven't already done so, go back and re-read even your own posts at the beginning of this thread, AND remember one of my favorite quotes. The one about not giving up on your dreams....the time will pass anyway. LOVE THAT!!! There have been many times in the past that I put off doing what was best for myself with all kinds of excuses, only to think later: "Look where I could have been if I had just gotten started, or stuck with it, or whatever!!"
I hope this is making some sort of sense!! I'm not as articulate as many here.

for a dear JB today.

Phyl
Phyl, you are one of the kindest people I've met on here, and this is a beautiful post. You are very articulate and empathetic, and I appreciate that you took the time to respond, and with such care. I would have given up long ago on *any* kind of weight loss plan if not for the awesome support from all of you.

Quote:
to JUDD with lc or not to JUDD with lc?

that is the question

I would NOT JUDD with lc right now. give yourself 2 weeks to adjust to the food regimen. just concentrate on LC. LC foods.

if you attempt to do the real JUDD also, it might just tax you too much. WHY do that to yourself? one thing is enough on one's plate.

few weeks on lc. find some good meal choices. good snacks. all you need to do the 2 weeks best you can.

then if JUDD comes into play, go for it. do lc with JUDD. many do and do it well.

I know at my age now (52 with menapause hanging around) that if I take on too much at one time, I can't commit. one project gets my complete attention. when it is time to change you will be ready then.

I always liked your posts for their honestly of your feelings and the true emotions that goes along with these big changes in our lives. I can connect with what you say for sure you keep on chatting out your detours cause believe me when I read the replies from others, I get tons of great info from them also.
I'm coming up on 50 yo (April 1st), and haven't had TOM in over 6 months. I know my metabolism is not humming along at all like it used to. It can't even carry a tune anymore.

The only thing I struggle with is the worry that if I eat all I want every day, LC or not, I will only be able to maintain. I want to LOSE. Eating healthy is secondary. But, I'm going to try it. I'm going to try to stop with rotations for a little while and see what happens. Like everyone says, JUDDD will always be here for me when I'm ready.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oh yes JUDDD is never off the table.

well, think of it this way. one thing is an enemy. carbs. bad carbs. heavy carbs.

so just eat LC. eat whatever you want---key being it is time to make the break from carbs.

think in steps.

1. eat lc to not eat heavy carbs
2. in order to control yourself when those cravings hit, eat lc. don't worry about the effect. believe me it will be nothing compared to what junk can do to you.
3. So you maintain for a week---you didn't gain---all the while making that break from carbs and their control over you.
4. Second week you can concentrate a bit on cutting some cals. if needed to actually lose on the scale if all you did was maintain.

but in the end I see 2 weeks being a winner for you.

carb cravings are being halted.
you are gaining control
you did NOT gain
you can now work on what needs to be done to lose a bit on the scale.

(if it happens that way...you might just LOSE some weight that first week whcih would be wonderful!

don't go in worried. go in with eyes wide open and hit it hard, committed and ATTACK!