Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #121
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I'd have to be feeling pretty generous to play that game. Here, it'd be, four for me, 1/2 for you, 8 for me, a drive-by for you, etc.
You crack me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
It is a dinner where a celebrity chef is cooking all of the food, and it is a set menu. The seating is so limited that even the board members do not get in free. I was planning to skip it and didn't mind not going at *all* even before I decided to go LC. However, a couple of days ago a lady who is also on the board sent an email saying that she had bought a ticket for me. There are no substitutes for any of the foods, and anyone who buys a ticket knows in advance of the menu. I'll post the menu later. I don't think it will make or break me, because I really am committed this time.

P.S. I think it would be rude to the generous lady who purchased my ticket for me to not eat. It *is* a situation that I cannot avoid this time.
When I was reading this, all I could think of was the Queen Latifah movie "Last Holiday". I LOVE that movie! Remember when the chef is cooking dinner and he sees the orders from the table of skinny but snobby people? Then he sees Queen Latifah's order and he just has to meet her! When she finally hosts a table for the snobs, he says "ABSOLUTELY NO SUBSTITUTIONS!"

I hope you have seen that movie or this post will sound crazy.

Your dinner sounds so lovely. I wonder if they will have take home boxes for those who want to savor some for later or the next day? You could at least half it up.

Drink lots of water before, during and after dinner. That way if you do eat a lot of carbs, they won't haunt you as much the next day. And, right before you go to bed that night, mix a teaspoon full of sugar free flavored fiber (psyllium husks) with some water. When I do it I mix it in just a few ounces of very cold water so I can down it quickly. Then I follow it with a big glass of water. (you gotta have lots of water with it).

It will flush a lot of the carbs out of your system by the next morning so you won't have as many bad effects as you would otherwise.

Works for me anyway. Then I don't wake up hungry for more carbs.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #122
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I would eat the meal and get back on track the next day. Some of us can actually do that and be fine. It might slow you down for a few days or a week, but come on! It's a celebrity chef! I'd be all over that.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Exactly Dawn. How silly of me to worry about it, because I certainly do it different every other day now! If I can switch from high carb 3000 calories to 400 LC calories (as I was doing) eod, it should be a snap to go back to LC after one dern meal.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Cindy, I think your low carb idea is great, but my two cents is to enjoy the heck out of that fancy meal and then just jump right back in again. I know it's not perfect low carb, but I think you can do it on low carb JUDDD style.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #125
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
For sure, enjoy that meal. It's not every day any of us gets that opportunity. And you want to really savor everything that's offered. I don't think you'll have any trouble jumping right back into rotations after that, or LC either for that matter.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
It is true that eating carbs triggers some of us to overdo it.

But it is also true that feeling deprived can create the same result.

Enjoy the dinner, Cindy. Try not to overeat, but definitely enjoy the great food you choose to have.
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post

Enjoy the dinner, Cindy. Try not to overeat, but definitely enjoy the great food you choose to have.
Exactly. That kind of all or nothing thinking completely derailed me and set me up with some borderline eating disorder tendencies. For one thing, if I did mess up, it was easy to think "well, I screwed it up, I might as well eat stuff I like while I can". I always called it "Last Supper" eating because it was the last chance to eat all that crap before getting strict on a diet again.

My goal now is to have a healthier attitude towards food and JUDDD helps a lot. I find that since no food is off limits,as long as it's an UD, I actually eat fewer crap foods. Taking the stigma away takes away some of attractiveness. It also takes away some of the Last Supper feelings. I can have that food any time so I don't have to eat all of it RIGHT NOW.

If you tell me I can't ever have chocolate chip cookies again, or have to have some abomination made from almond meal, then all I am going to want is real chocolate chip cookies. On the other hand, if I can have them any time I want (or rather, anytime my wife will make them), the desperation to eat them is gone and I am fine with having them only now and again. A good example is ice cream. I decided early on that ice cream was okay as long as it was an UD and a weekend. I'm a big fan of ice cream but I haven't had any since mid-December. The thinking is kind of hard to explain but it is working for me.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #128
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
Exactly. That kind of all or nothing thinking completely derailed me and set me up with some borderline eating disorder tendencies. For one thing, if I did mess up, it was easy to think "well, I screwed it up, I might as well eat stuff I like while I can". I always called it "Last Supper" eating because it was the last chance to eat all that crap before getting strict on a diet again.

My goal now is to have a healthier attitude towards food and JUDDD helps a lot. I find that since no food is off limits,as long as it's an UD, I actually eat fewer crap foods. Taking the stigma away takes away some of attractiveness. It also takes away some of the Last Supper feelings. I can have that food any time so I don't have to eat all of it RIGHT NOW.

If you tell me I can't ever have chocolate chip cookies again, or have to have some abomination made from almond meal, then all I am going to want is real chocolate chip cookies. On the other hand, if I can have them any time I want (or rather, anytime my wife will make them), the desperation to eat them is gone and I am fine with having them only now and again. A good example is ice cream. I decided early on that ice cream was okay as long as it was an UD and a weekend. I'm a big fan of ice cream but I haven't had any since mid-December. The thinking is kind of hard to explain but it is working for me.
I can totally relate to this post Frosty. I had been very successful with LC in the past. I ate induction level Atkins for 3+ years without a single cheat. I got use to it and thought that I didn't miss all the foods I had ruled out of my life, but in reality I did.

I also did not necessarily have an issue with carb sensitivity so I'm not sure I had optimal health considering I ate no fruit and very limited veggies for over 3 years. I went back and forth with LC for a few years, but just felt deprived and had that "Last Supper" feeling a lot.

It was very hard for me to get back on track after a day or 2 off plan, but that has not been my experience with JUDDD.

I guess that is why different plans work differently for all of us. I have to watch that extreme thinking though, but I'd think if combining JUDDD and LC the damage from one higher carb meal may not be as bad as without JUDDD.

I found the water weigh gain so very frustrating so it kind of became defeating for me to go off plan from time to time on LC.

How has it been going for you Cindy????

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #129
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post

Absolutely true!

Quote:

I so agree with everything you said. I've had the same experience with potato chips. Tell me I can't have them and it's all I think about. Yesterday was an UD. Potato chips? Meh. Didn't have any when I could have. I chose salmon and brussel sprouts instead.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

It's going well so far. I don't count carbs, and I'm only avoiding cane sugar and processed junk for now. I also am not eating much bread (none so far), although I rarely ate bread before. I normally would not even eat one piece of bread a week, but I did eat a lot of sweets on UDs and some junky carbs.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
This is my sixth day of being REALLY GOOD. I'm adding the Virgin regime(no wheat, corn, soy, sugar/artificial sweeteners, peanuts, dairy, eggs) to my 4-day rotation that I was doing before the holidays, in hopes of narrowing down some possible food sensitivities.

It's BORING.

I am eating to fullness, and I'm enjoying what I am eating, but my mind is immediately going to what I am choosing NOT to eat for a while.

Why is it so hard sometimes, to do what you've decided is good for you?
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #132
Big Yapper!!!!

What made you decide to take that route, Sirtain? Are you having trouble with weight loss, or is it something else? I can imagine that it would be very difficult! I could do without most of those things, except AS, because I cannot drink coffee without it!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

No, I have some digestive issues, that the doctors think is IBS. I have been gradually trying everything I hear about. Having some success with digestive enzymes, but it is early days. The doctors seem content to say, 'you will have to live with it' but I want to FIX it!

Wheat, corn, soy, and peanuts I could live without if I had to. The others are more of a struggle. Of course, I don't do wheat or corn on any regular basis anyhow. But I see an immediate bloat when I indulge, so even if I am not dangerously sensitive, I do get effects.

I saw peanut butter cups on sale at the store, so I started thinking about the. Usually I would squelch those thoughts with homemade dark chocolate almond butter cups, but those are out right now, too. Sugar, plus too many ingredients. Grrr.

So, I'm Miss Crankypants!!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #134
Big Yapper!!!!

How about coconut sugar, or palm sugar. You didn't say you were eliminating almonds or chocolate.

ETA: I guess almond butter has some sugar, and you did say too many ingredients..

Last edited by Librarygirl; 01-20-2014 at 04:23 PM..
Old 01-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

I think her plan is eliminating ALL sugars. I heard about her program on the Gluten-Free Summit podcast. I haven't bought the book, just skimmed it, but as it didn't seem to go much beyond the elimination protocol(I don't need recipes) I didn't spring for it. So, I may be wrong, but I don't think so. (As they say on 'Monk'!)

So, I guess I could dip some almonds in 90+% dark chocolate. Mmmm. Librarygirl, you are a temptress!! Or do the whole grinding thing, and make actual cups.

Maybe, if I am still thinking about them on Wednesday, I will make almonds and chocolate part of my rotation. Can chocolate be considered a fruit?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Hi Cindy and everybody
We do what's works best for us!
In my whole life I've never been a mix buyer, EXCEPT jiffy corn bread mix? I will never stop buying that item!
But as far as cake mixes, gravy mixes, rice mixes, what ever mix, just knew preservatives had to be bad for me. SO Thise aren't a problem for me.
Ice cream, now that's totally different story.
Winter time all ice cream is safe around me. Summertime look out.
Glad your feeling better Cindy.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #137
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Ei.

Sirtain, Chocolate is a super food and a antioxidant. Is that enough incentive?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Just sending XO and love!! Hope all is well today sweet cakes! ♥
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
No, I have some digestive issues, that the doctors think is IBS. I have been gradually trying everything I hear about.
This won't be relevant to everyone with such issues but FODMAPs - learning about this and finding out which saccharides were problematic for me changed my life. It's only people who haven't had IBS or similar who would find a statement like that hyperbolic but it genuinely did make that much of a difference.

FODMAP - Wikipedia
Quote:
FODMAPs are short chain carbohydrates and monosaccharides that are poorly absorbed in the small intestine, including fructans, galactans, fructose and polyols. The term is an acronym, deriving from "Fermentable, Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides And Polyols".
The restriction of FODMAPs from the diet has been found to have a beneficial effect for sufferers of irritable bowel syndrome and other functional gut disorders ...

Poor absorption of most FODMAP carbohydrates is common to everyone. Any FODMAPs that are not absorbed in the small intestine pass into the large intestine, where bacteria ferment them. The resultant production of gas potentially results in bloating and flatulence. Most individuals do not suffer significant symptoms but some may suffer the symptoms of IBS. Restriction of FODMAP intake in the latter group has been found to result in improvement of symptoms.
After identifying and restricting then reintroducing some of the FODMAPs, I can now tolerate occasional servings of them. However, much to my surprise, I still need to fry onion separately and never include it in a soup or stew. (I tend to serve out my portion and then have the onion as a mix-in but I can just stir onion into the remainder for everyone else.)

I can't tell you how many foodstuffs I excluded and reintroduced over the years. For me, FODMAPs completely changed what I could eat and has mostly ended my digestive problems. (I think that I have some residual ones that can be attributed to years of dysfunctional digestion and that my gut microbiome was inappropriately altered by that.)

Dec 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

After having an 'iron stomach' for 48 years, dealing with this has been a shock. But I'm learning a lot, and hopefully, will figure out how to treat my body right so that it can heal up.

I was disappointed that my doctor, who was supposed to be helping me with this, and diagnosed me with IBS, had never even heard of FODMAPs. I think there is probably too much for a GP to know, and lots of it is too recent. They do their learning in med school, and then some of them just stop.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I think what is hard is when 'something comes up' the exact stinking minute you decide to make a way of eating change for life

why is it every time we say---I am going to start LC---or WW---JUDDD, or whatever----AND BOOM, an event, social thing, and surprise kicks in that EXACT moment you decide to do this change?

fate, eh, gotta love her

I say skip alot of the food only because you are making a change and commitment to that change does require really a bit of work on your part to 'stay clean' to that change for at least a few weeks if you can. like in really trying.

but of course if an event hits when you decide to start a change, and that event really is drawing you-----sure, why not enjoy and start after. many have delayed changes for some reason only to go on and succeed to the fullest after!

When I started LC (actually atkins plan) my girlfriend called me up like 3 days later and said, ALL OF us are getting together for girls night. (something we rarely do) and having drinks, pub food etc. I was, like, shoot me OK!!!!! Sure I wanted to go but I didn't, ONLY because I kinda felt like I had to commit. Had to do it. Not put off that commitment AGAIN. I knew I had no control at that point and wasn't willing to sway from my commitment. Like I done so many times.

but of course everyone knows personally when to say NO or when to say YES to whatever situation that hits up at them. I sure have said yes many times when I shoulda said no. heehee

Last edited by Trigger828; 01-21-2014 at 06:08 AM..
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #142
Big Yapper!!!!

Trigger, when did you start LC? Have your losses been steady? You don't do JUDDD as well do you? Just curious, feel free to ignore me.

As for the dinner--it's about 4 weeks from today, and I do intend to attend and eat whatever is provided. Actually, I just pulled the menu from my desk drawer and it is not really carby at all! Here it is:

Appetizer:
Shrimp paste with brown bread
Southern hummus with vegetables and pita chips
Herb crusted tomatoes

Salad:
Green bean, zucchini and orange salad

Main Course:
Cornish hens with lime spice marinade
gingered sweet potatoes
broccoli with garlic

Dessert:
Chocolate Delirium Torte

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Sirtain, I too have IBS. Giving up wheat helped a lot. I also got to feeling much better after giving up Splenda. It was destroying all my healthy gut bacteria. I ate two cookies last night on my UD and today I am a bloated cow. Ugh. When will I learn. I hope u get things figured out. I also take probiotics. That helps
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

That menu should be easy to work with! Eat the shrimp paste with a spoon, skip the hummus and pita chips, and really enjoy the dessert(maybe take half of it home?). Bang! Done.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Brenda- I am tweaking with both probiotics and digestive enzymes, and am having some success in the last week. I am hopeful.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
I think what is hard is when 'something comes up' the exact stinking minute you decide to make a way of eating change for life

why is it every time we say---I am going to start LC---or WW---JUDDD, or whatever----AND BOOM, an event, social thing, and surprise kicks in that EXACT moment you decide to do this change?

fate, eh, gotta love her

I say skip alot of the food only because you are making a change and commitment to that change does require really a bit of work on your part to 'stay clean' to that change for at least a few weeks if you can. like in really trying.

but of course if an event hits when you decide to start a change, and that event really is drawing you-----sure, why not enjoy and start after. many have delayed changes for some reason only to go on and succeed to the fullest after!

When I started LC (actually atkins plan) my girlfriend called me up like 3 days later and said, ALL OF us are getting together for girls night. (something we rarely do) and having drinks, pub food etc. I was, like, shoot me OK!!!!! Sure I wanted to go but I didn't, ONLY because I kinda felt like I had to commit. Had to do it. Not put off that commitment AGAIN. I knew I had no control at that point and wasn't willing to sway from my commitment. Like I done so many times.

but of course everyone knows personally when to say NO or when to say YES to whatever situation that hits up at them. I sure have said yes many times when I shoulda said no. heehee
Trigger, I got a belly laugh (from the bold).

It just hit my funny bone, because I so get it about those unexpected times when we are invited somewhere foodish exactly at the time we make a decision to start a WOE.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
That menu should be easy to work with! Eat the shrimp paste with a spoon, skip the hummus and pita chips, and really enjoy the dessert(maybe take half of it home?). Bang! Done.
bang done is right. that is a very easy meal to eat.
skip the orange, unless it is in the sauce etc.
but that meal is doable with lc. you absolutely can control that menu LG

tomatoe and taste of rest
one taste sweet tater and rest is fine.

that menu was almost a LC'ers dream in a way LOL something you can work with and that helps alot.

Girl you will have a fun time at this thing without worrying too much about the meal.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sazzie-- I know!

murphys law or whatever crazy fate kicks in and kicks us in the butt.

and it is always something. not just a change of eating.

I dont' know how times I was going to do ''X'' and 'Y' got in the way.

what the????
Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
However, much to my surprise, I still need to fry onion separately and never include it in a soup or stew. (I tend to serve out my portion and then have the onion as a mix-in but I can just stir onion into the remainder for everyone else.)
I can't eat raw onions at all. If they are cooked, they are no problem, but raw onions means an upset stomach and a day in the bathroom. My grandpa, dad and brother are all the same way, though I am the only one of those that has to also be gluten free.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
I can't eat raw onions at all. If they are cooked, they are no problem, but raw onions means an upset stomach and a day in the bathroom....
Fructans, the problematic FODMAP in onions are water-soluble but not fat soluble. When you fry onions, the fructans don't bother you unless you then add liquid (fructans become soluble).

Likewise, raw onions may trouble people (depending on which part of the onion have fructans which can dissolve in your mouth and go into solution - however, this shouldn't happen with the green part of scallions/spring onions, just the white).

When I'm making a mixed dish, I fry the onions, drain them - use that flavoured oil to fry meat/other vegetables, carry on with the remainder of the dish (without the onions) and then serve my onions separately.

Fructans in onions are like those present (in different amounts) in wheat, barley, and rye. So, if you've trouble with onions, it's not unknown for you to have difficulties with some of these.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote