Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahDesert
Stats: 170?/124/125
WOE: JUDDD/IE
Start Date: 1/27/2014
I mean using the DD to become familiar with what hunger actually feels like and then trying to do HDE on the UD. That's actually what I'm doing now.

I'm still not sure what I'll do once I arrive in Warsaw on Thursday. I'd still like to lose more weight, and I'm not sure that I can maintain on HDE without at least some fasting. But hanging out with my husband and seeing old friends and attending professional events in a big city is a different rhythm of life than my relatively solitary life at home (where I encounter my teen-age daughter at most about four evenings a week). I'm thinking I'll probably do what I think of as "social eating," where I fast as long as I'm not eating with other people. (That's what I did for a three-day trip on my only break from JUDDD so far, and with that and one DD I lost one pound.) One thing that JUDDD has shown me is that I can fast without any bad results. I don't faint on the ground, I don't binge--if I notice myself getting so antsy and anxious I'm not getting anything accomplished I can find some kind of high-protein snack and I keep going. Finding this out for me is huge.
UtahDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #182
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Well, I guess I always do HDE on UDs since I don't count/track UDs, but I still need 2 DDs per week to maintain, which means I eat more than "needed" on UDs, which is kind of amazing since I don't eat much most UDs.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:43 AM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Well, I guess I always do HDE on UDs since I don't count/track UDs, but I still need 2 DDs per week to maintain, which means I eat more than "needed" on UDs, which is kind of amazing since I don't eat much most UDs.
It’s looking as if that’s how it will work out for me too. One or two down days per week to maintain, without counting on up days, but not eating all that much.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 AM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
34-36 DD (some D's) here. I used to think the girls were huge, but now I've decided they're pretty proportionate. You ladies are tiny with your 30-34 bands! And yes, there's extra skin there too.
And you’re a good half foot taller!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Please forgive my ignorance. I have been JUDDDING for a while and I practice IF as well, but I have no idea what HDE is. Please do tell.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Please forgive my ignorance. I have been JUDDDING for a while and I practice IF as well, but I have no idea what HDE is. Please do tell.
Hunger Directed Eating. It suggests eating only when physically hungry and stopping when satisfied. There's a lively discussion on it in my journal. The link is below if you're curious.
CarolinaCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoast View Post
Hunger Directed Eating. It suggests eating only when physically hungry and stopping when satisfied. There's a lively discussion on it in my journal. The link is below if you're curious.
I have a little bit of experience with this type of eating. It is certainly well suited to IF, since only when you stop eating for any length of time do you actually learn to sense your body's TRUE hunger signals.

I usually only eat when hungry, unless I am in weight training and consuming extra protein for muscle building.

Sensing satiety is an entirely different matter. I eat too fast (always in a hurry) and I have a really hard time stopping once I get going. So I use portion control (measuring cups, spoons, and a kitchen scale) to limit myself or else, once I start, I will eat the whole kitchen.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CarolinaCoast
Stats: 155/124.2/122-125
WOE: Chronic Experimenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Sensing satiety is an entirely different matter.
That seems to be the hardest part. The suggestions in "Have Your Cake And Your Skinny Jeans Too," by Josie Spinardi helped me alot!
CarolinaCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The hardest part for me is that family meals or social occasions require me to eat more than my appetite reasonably often.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 AM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
The hardest part for me is that family meals or social occasions require me to eat more than my appetite reasonably often.
Agreed that such occasions can feel awkward both because of food tracking (which I do) and for appetite.

It's difficult to eat in restaurants because the portion sizes of different items are not what I'd choose and it's tricky to estimate the carb content in the recipes which matters to me because of the migraine control. If I have to eat in a restaurant or similar then I pretty much have to select a piece of fish with simply-prepared vegetables.

It's getting to the point tho' where once I've eaten a decent starter that is pretty much my appetite gone for the meal on a non-exercise day (and, if it's a generous starter, I might have to donate some to an eating companion).

Having said that, if I know people reasonably well, they're mostly adjusting to the amount that I eat rather than commenting on it adversely or feeling slighted. Strangers are a different matter but, aside from some questions/comments being irritating/discourteous, who cares what they think?
August 2014 In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
It's difficult to eat in restaurants because the portion sizes of different items are not what I'd choose and it's tricky to estimate the carb content in the recipes which matters to me because of the migraine control. If I have to eat in a restaurant or similar then I pretty much have to select a piece of fish with simply-prepared vegetables.

Having said that, if I know people reasonably well, they're mostly adjusting to the amount that I eat rather than commenting on it adversely or feeling slighted. Strangers are a different matter but, aside from some questions/comments being irritating/discourteous, who cares what they think?
I am low-carb AND a vegetarian, so in restaurants I always order plain steamed vegetables or a big salad with no dressing. It works perfectly every time! I have found that as long as I look over the menu carefully, and as long as they are able to take a custom order (substituting sliced avocado for chicken, or sunflower seeds for bacon bits, etc.) there is very little problem eating out.

My friends sometimes tease me by calling my selection "rabbit food" and they pretend to try to tempt me with their meat-contaminated, carb-laden entrees, but I just laugh at them. They have seen me lose 50+ pounds, so they know my WOE works. And they know they can ask to know more if they want to know how I did it.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #192
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Love popping in here.

I am not sure what maintenance plan I am doing but my dream has always been a Intuitive Eating. I can do it, but I am like Ailuros, social events are hard for me.

I am maintaining pretty well and have been of years. We take so many holidays, which is great, writing this from Peru, and I generally eat intuitively then, although sometimes I do overeat.

When I get home I do a few really good rotations of JUDDD which I thoroughly enjoy, and any gains just disappear.

Is this maintenance ?
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Is this maintenance ?
Sure sounds like it to me!!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:41 AM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think I’ll end up with something similar, Kissa, though not as many holidays! When I’m on holiday my goal is usually to find options that are small enough that I don’t feel stuffed the whole time and can actually enjoy the lovely food instead of dreading the next meal! It’s so hard when you’re eating out for every meal and most of it is lovely.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:41 AM   #195
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I am maintaining pretty well and have been of years. We take so many holidays, which is great, writing this from Peru, and I generally eat intuitively then, although sometimes I do overeat.

When I get home I do a few really good rotations of JUDDD which I thoroughly enjoy, and any gains just disappear.

Is this maintenance ?
I'd call that maintenance and it's pretty much what I do minus a few of the extra vacations.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kissa, you're maintaining your goal weight so if it looks like maintenance and feels like maintenance...

It's interesting to see how many people are interested in intuitive eating. I'm nowhere near it because my food preferences are very different from what I currently eat, but, at present, eating this way is helping to keep me relatively free from migraines.

I suppose my maintenance expresses my very mixed plans for what I'm attempting to achieve: maintain muscle mass (so, eat sufficient protein); keep migraine free; remain at least weight stable but not averse to losing more body fat but can afford to lose absolutely no additional lean body mass. Plus, if I can manage to keep increasing my food intake, and achieve all of the foregoing then I'd be delighted.

That's not too much to expect from a WOE, is it?
Old 05-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #197
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Oh Slow, I admire your persistence, and your control.

Tonight we are staying up at Machu Picchu in an outrageously priced hotel, not our normal modus operandi. All meals and drinks are include, and if I are from now until next week it still wouldn't be getting value. However I will be enjoying rather more food and beverages than my body requires......

Better climb a mountain in the morning!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahDesert
Stats: 170?/124/125
WOE: JUDDD/IE
Start Date: 1/27/2014
Quote:
Tonight we are staying up at Machu Picchu in an outrageously priced hotel, not our normal modus operandi. All meals and drinks are include, and if I are from now until next week it still wouldn't be getting value. However I will be enjoying rather more food and beverages than my body requires......

Better climb a mountain in the morning!
Oh, Kissa, you're having such an incredible time! Will you be staying longer in the Sacred Valley after Machu Picchu? (We spent a week in Ollantaytambo two summers ago. The restaurant by the train station there is great.) Drink lots of juices and blends of different juices while you're in Peru.
UtahDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:22 AM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I actually saw a number that started with 7 this morning . 7st 13.6 (111.6 lb). We have a friend staying for the weekend and have lots of eating planned, so I won’t be seeing it again for the next few days, but it was nice to catch a glimpse of it.

In the longer term, just below 8st (112) is where I’m hoping to maintain — but I’m doing 5:2 rather than alternate days, and just going for a very slow drift down. With summer social activities, it’s going to take a while.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:34 AM   #200
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm impressed!!!!
I don't think I could see below 118 with very strict EOD.

I did 6:1 last week and bounced up to 125
But I'm back to 5:2 this week.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:17 AM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Body shapes and compositions are so different that what looks right for one person can be too thin or too fat for someone else the same height. I’m close to the size & weight that I was at around 20. It’s about right for me, I think.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:08 AM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Agree, Ailuros!

I could fast from now till doomsday and NEVER get close to 120. At one time I weighed around 155 and everyone thought I was sick. I am always surprised at the sizes some can wear even at weights near mine. The smallest size I have worn as an adult is 12Tall....and that was for about 10 minutes. LOL
I would love to be a petite cheerleader type. I just know I am more the sturdy type woman. Thank goodness there is room for all of us. The trick (for me) is to learn to love myself exactly as I am. I am pretty old and I am still working on it.
It is time.

Quote from SoHappy: I realized the world would never run out of goodies. I could have them forever. I didn't have to eat them every day, every Up Day, or even every week anymore.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patkid View Post
I would love to be a petite cheerleader type. I just know I am more the sturdy type woman. Thank goodness there is room for all of us. The trick (for me) is to learn to love myself exactly as I am. I am pretty old and I am still working on it.
The 2 of you are approx. 3 BMI points apart.

Roughly, that's because you add on 5lbs for every inch difference in height - which makes you approx. 12lbs heavier than Ailuros (and over a greater height) after adjusting for the 8 inches and 40lbs.

And, yes, frame, body composition, and fat distribution will make us look very different at comparable weights and heights.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, being 8" taller will make a difference .

For what it’s worth, my scales currently tell me that I’m at 25.7% body fat.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
My scale doesn't measure Body Fat.
This is interesting, though.
LOL
I'd still rather be tiny.
Love my JBs.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
hahaha, 112#!!!??? WOW!!!

I've been bouncing up to my "high" maintenance range in the past few months. (128#) This is with EOD, most of the time, but too high on UD and higher than normal on DDs, as well. Too many family events and other aspects out of my control. I've reigned it back in to 124 this morning, but with a long holiday weekend and family gatherings, I suspect I'll bounce back to my higher range again quickly. I'll dream of the teens, though! LOL!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #207
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
Yes, being 8" taller will make a difference .

For what it’s worth, my scales currently tell me that I’m at 25.7% body fat.
I wonder how accurate the body fat measuring scales are.
I'm 10 pounds heavier at about the same height and my scale says 20-21% body fat...
Old 05-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a vague memory that an error of up to 4% is quite common with the scale BF measurements. The instructions with my old ones said it was best to measure mid-afternoon, when you’re well hydrated, but not too soon after a meal, but I haven’t bothered to do that this time. I just did a search and found a bit more info — they really don’t look vey useful at all.

I found a review that said, “A literature search on Tanita, the most popular home body-fat scale, turned up 177 articles. Most studies were done with children, athletes, and otherwise lean persons. The results were all over the place, but showed the typical BIA pattern of overestimating fat in skinny persons and underestimating in heavier persons. Compared to some clinical BIA units the Tanita underestimated fat and had a wide limit of agreement.”

And another: “Researchers have looked at the accuracy of BIA for tracking body fat change over time. In one study, the disagreement between BIA and the 4-compartment model ranged from -3.6% to 4.8% for measuring change. This means you could lose 3.6% body fat, but BIA would show no change. Or, BIA could tell you that you lost 8.8% body fat when you really only lost 4%. In fact, in this study, plain ol’ bod mass index (BMI) did just as well as BIA for predicting change in body fat, except for in one person.”

A bit more explanation: “While the theory behind BIA sounds nice, it is problematic. First, an electrical current will follow the path of least resistance through your body. This means that, if you carry a large amount of fat underneath your skin, the BIA won’t even hit it; the current will instead pass through internal tissues. Second, I mentioned last week how hydrostatic weighing can be affected by the hydration of fat-free mass; BIA is going to be even more affected by this. And while there is one device that tries to differentiate between fluid inside your cells and outside your cells by sending the current at different frequencies, you still have the problem of the current following the path of least resistance. Third, many BIA devices will miss entire sections of your body. For example, some devices, like Tanita scales, send the current through one leg and out the other, which means your entire torso is missed. Some hand-held devices will send the current through one arm and out the other, missing the rest of your body. And while there is now one device that is able to send the current through every section of your body, it is still limited by all of the other problems associated with BIA.”
Old 05-31-2014, 03:22 AM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is my graph for May doing 5:2 and with a couple of weekends of indulgence. The weight is in stones — 8:0 is 112 lb.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Wow! I love seeing how quickly you went down after just a few rotations after your indulgences. And that great, sloping average. That's one of the thing I am so happy with, using JUDDD. The ups and downs still get you there, and what I weigh on any particular morning isn't so important.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote