Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gillygum
Stats: 5'6 - 150+/132.2/120
WOE: experimenting
Potato hack 2014

I haven't found any potato hack threads for 2014 so I thought I'd make one. I'm going to start tomorrow. I'm trying to shed some lbs for my bday coming up. I'm going to be doing potato hack w/o calorie counting and callanetics for exercise. If anyone wants to join me feel free to post. I'll submit my results daily. I usually lose .5 lb a day doing this!
gillygum is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/176/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Hi gillgum, Are you going to combine it with JUDDD or is it going to be just pure potato hack? I've read a lot about it and have been thinking of doing it but I don't know if I could just do potatoes every day. I've been trying to incorporate PH into my DDs but too scared to go all out in case I really put on pounds!

So I'll be on the outlook for your postings and progress. Best of luck!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Started proper PH yesterday! I had introduced potatoes already to my DD along with oats, a week or so ago. So really no ill effect that I see. Felt a little jittery yesterday couple of hrs after the 1st intake, just grabbed a small cold baked potato and was ok within mins. Have been drinking lots of water with little bit of fresh lemon (thanks to Yennie's blog) and tea with milk. Felt very cold last night, then feet started burning so couldn't get to sleep until 5:00am. Other than that feel great! As far as the weight is concerned, same effect as a DD! Will be interesting to see tomorrow morning. How are you doing gillygum?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
no idea what this is. but if you eat potatoes it's gotta be good!
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
no idea what this is. but if you eat potatoes it's gotta be good!
Trying to eat just potatoes ( sweet potatoes, white rice, plantain etc) all day without any fats. People have done it very successfully including the JUDDDrs (Slow, Yennie & Ouizoid). it is generally to break a stall. I think Slow did the potato hack for 28 days straight! I won't be doing that, I'm not that strong willed!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I'm thinking of jumping back on the hack wagon. I keep bouncing around the same 5 pounds. Just when I see my low again - BAM, I'm up after an UD. Work my booty off to get back down and BAM! Cleaner UDs aren't even helping. So I think I need a hack to break through this plateau.
The longest I've ever gone is the 7 day one I did right before Easter. JD - if you recall my, ahem, tummy troubles reintroducing fats. Do it carefully!
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I'm thinking of jumping back on the hack wagon. I keep bouncing around the same 5 pounds. Just when I see my low again - BAM, I'm up after an UD. Work my booty off to get back down and BAM! Cleaner UDs aren't even helping. So I think I need a hack to break through this plateau.
The longest I've ever gone is the 7 day one I did right before Easter. JD - if you recall my, ahem, tummy troubles reintroducing fats. Do it carefully!
I'm in the same boat Yennie, that's what really triggered me to re-read your thread ( and akman's advice on another forum). I started doing DDs with potatoes and oats last week, so this is a slow intro. Yesterday was pure potatoes, couldn't eat beyond 900 cals, today I added sweet potatoes (SP) and I'm up to 1248! I think the sugar in sweet potatoes may have something to do with eating more! I added the SP because of higher fiber content. Let's see what the scale says tomorrow. The thing I like about this hack is the satiety. I'd love to be able see this through for 7 days, as that's what other forum recommend to gauze good results. I'll have to revisit your thread about fat issues. I do that from time to time anyway! Do you know if Slow did a log for her 28 days that she did?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

I don't think she did. She's talked about it but I don't think she blogged it the way I did for that 7 day stink: day by day.
You can see I don't think I ever made it up to 1000 cals, maybe I did, can't remember. Ha ha ha, I'll have to re-read my own blog! But I know she posted her experiences, and she is the one I got the rice congee recipe from. The mixing in of the rice saves my booty (or, rather, belly!) with the PH.
I never added in SP. I feel like that came up in the longer, epic PH thread Ouiz started. I think the consensus was that, basically, in theory it should work but YMMV. I've never done it. I could see how a SP with a LC cream cheese wedge and some cinnamon might be delish. Or some SF Vanilla syrup on a SP? I feel like I've read these ideas somewhere before which leads me to believe someone has tried them. But their results post hack? No idea.
Something else I thought about related to the hack, which I should write about in my blog for posterity's sake:
There is this new-ish procedure that is basically laser liposuction. They apply lasers to your fatty deposits for some allotted time period to mobilize the fat into your blood stream. Then they make you exercise for 30-45 minutes post laser. This causes you to burn the fat as fuel so it doesn't just get re-deposited wherever it just came from. So here's my thinking:
The hack works by mobilizing peripheral fat for insulin manufacturing, mobilization and utilization, right? So, in theory, eating a potato does the same thing as the $300/session laser. So...eat a potato and go for a walk? Eat a potato and ride the stationary bike? Eat a potato and lift weights?
Probably can't do it after every meal but it makes you wonder about planning workouts and meals, doesn't it?

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I don't think she did. She's talked about it but I don't think she blogged it the way I did for that 7 day stink: day by day.
You can see I don't think I ever made it up to 1000 cals, maybe I did, can't remember. Ha ha ha, I'll have to re-read my own blog! But I know she posted her experiences, and she is the one I got the rice congee recipe from. The mixing in of the rice saves my booty (or, rather, belly!) with the PH.
I never added in SP. I feel like that came up in the longer, epic PH thread Ouiz started. I think the consensus was that, basically, in theory it should work but YMMV. I've never done it. I could see how a SP with a LC cream cheese wedge and some cinnamon might be delish. Or some SF Vanilla syrup on a SP? I feel like I've read these ideas somewhere before which leads me to believe someone has tried them. But their results post hack? No idea.
Something else I thought about related to the hack, which I should write about in my blog for posterity's sake:
There is this new-ish procedure that is basically laser liposuction. They apply lasers to your fatty deposits for some allotted time period to mobilize the fat into your blood stream. Then they make you exercise for 30-45 minutes post laser. This causes you to burn the fat as fuel so it doesn't just get re-deposited wherever it just came from. So here's my thinking:
The hack works by mobilizing peripheral fat for insulin manufacturing, mobilization and utilization, right? So, in theory, eating a potato does the same thing as the $300/session laser. So...eat a potato and go for a walk? Eat a potato and ride the stationary bike? Eat a potato and lift weights?
Probably can't do it after every meal but it makes you wonder about planning workouts and meals, doesn't it?
No you didn't, that's why I am a little concerned with my PH! YMMV ?? Interesting take on laser & exercise! Akman said to set aside rest days for this! I know you mentioned you felt yucky at the beginning. It just turns out that I am having some twinges in my right knee, so I decided to give my long walks a rest for a few days. This should work out ok, as I do feel a little bit palpitatey couple of hrs after the meal but eating another small cold potatoes seems to help.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:51 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
Do you know if Slow did a log for her 28 days that she did?
Not as such, no I think it just ended up in the DD Menu and Plans/UD Menu and Plans threads for that time. I'd not been intending to do 28 days, it just turned out that way because it dovetailed with DH's business trip and I continued it for a few days after his return because he was still recovering from jet lag and general lack of sleep.

I felt wretched and I was quite unwell at times. As Yennie says, if I hadn't introduced the congee and idli, I wouldn't have been able to continue the PH.

It also made me realise that I strongly believed that I adored potato - but I discovered that plain potato without any butter or other seasoning or desirable preparation method (e.g., mashing with butter, cream etc. or braising in tomato with cumin) has a surprisingly low, 'Woah, that's enough. I don't need any more' point. ) Or, high sensory specific satiety, as some people would refer to it. (Beyond the point at which it fulfils your hunger or energy needs, you absolutely want no more. )

Almost a year on, I'd say that my appetite has never been the same since. I've possibly been hungry <5 times in that year and it did teach me a lot of things about the difference between head hunger and eating to the point of satiety. It also broke my (then) plateau that was becoming a bogeyman after 6 weeks.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-19-2014 at 04:58 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Interesting take on laser & exercise! Akman said to set aside rest days for this!
It is interesting. Tricky point about that would be determining the point at which your were digesting the potato and pinpointing when the FFA were there, in the bloodstream, to be used or re-deposited.

Imagine paying $300 to mobilise your fat, only to have it deposited elsewhere because there wasn't sufficient opportunity or fitness level to use it.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gillygum
Stats: 5'6 - 150+/132.2/120
WOE: experimenting
Last time I checked no one had seen this post so it's nice to see more people! I had family throw a surprise birthday party for me so I felt obligated to eat some of the cake and shortly after I sabotaged my potato hack efforts by just eating whatever I wanted. So, I'm going to start again tomorrow. I'm eating only potatoes. I've heard that you can add a tsp of fat per potato, but I'm not going to do that unless I feel I need to. Oh and no, I'm not doing JUDDD, just eating as much as I need to feel satisfied. I'd like to do JUDDD to maintain though!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Slow, Thank you for your response and heads up! Your input is always appreciated. You can ignore my last question in the daily chat thread.

gillgum, Good to know you are still there! Good luck! I love it so far

Last edited by jdforshort; 01-19-2014 at 08:04 PM..
Old 01-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
It is interesting. Tricky point about that would be determining the point at which your were digesting the potato and pinpointing when the FFA were there, in the bloodstream, to be used or re-deposited.

Imagine paying $300 to mobilise your fat, only to have it deposited elsewhere because there wasn't sufficient opportunity or fitness level to use it.
Yes, that was also the sticking point for me as well. Just exactly WHEN would the fat be mobilized? No idea but I would say somewhere between postprandial hour 1 & 4. I'm not sure why I think 1, probably because its usually 1-2 hours after I eat a potato that i start to feel wonky if I'm going to feel it. (Wonky - its a technical term - look it up ) And I say no more than 4 because I think it was Pirate Jenny who came up with the 4 hours post fat you can eat a potato, and 4 hours post potato you can eat fat thing. Of course, I have no idea what she's basing that on but I'm happy with it!

Of course the reality of exercising for 3 hours to cover the window after each potato is such that I am unlikely to be able to take advantage of this (perceived) metabolic benefit but its a fun theory to discuss!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

real quick. this involves just eating boiled potatoes all day? nothing on them (salt?) and nothing else all day?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Colleen, you can have potatoes cooked however you want them, but don't use any fat (ideally zero, but some have tried tiny amounts and lost great, like a little pam spray to fry or a tiny bit of butter).

The idea is that you eat only potatoes with no or very little else. You can use salt, pepper, hot sauce, vinegar. Lots of people, including myself, love a baked potato with salt, pepper and malt vinegar. Really yummy.

I've done the PH twice, and it really did help me lose fast. But I had some pretty severe TMI issues after 3 days the first time. Very sudden, very urgent issues, if you get me. Lasted all night. Then the 2nd time I felt very nauseated at the end of day 1 and gave it up. I wish I could do it again though, because it really got the losses going, didn't gain them back when I went off it, and I really did enjoy the potatoes!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

i can see why your system could get a bit messed up from it!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

There are links to the information threads regarding the potato hack in the first post of the sticky "Recipes for the potato hack" at the top of this board.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Colleen, you can have potatoes cooked however you want them, but don't use any fat (ideally zero, but some have tried tiny amounts and lost great, like a little pam spray to fry or a tiny bit of butter).

The idea is that you eat only potatoes with no or very little else. You can use salt, pepper, hot sauce, vinegar. Lots of people, including myself, love a baked potato with salt, pepper and malt vinegar. Really yummy.

I've done the PH twice, and it really did help me lose fast. But I had some pretty severe TMI issues after 3 days the first time. Very sudden, very urgent issues, if you get me. Lasted all night. Then the 2nd time I felt very nauseated at the end of day 1 and gave it up. I wish I could do it again though, because it really got the losses going, didn't gain them back when I went off it, and I really did enjoy the potatoes!
Really, LCG! Wow, I didn't know this! I'm loving it so far but I have both potatoes and sweet potatoes. And, of course, my tea with non-fat milk even though I've read "no dairy"! I know, I can never do a diet that won't allow me a little bit of milk (well may be a tad more than a little bit - like 2/3 cup/day)! No adverse effect so far other than a little bloat here and there which lemon water takes care of. I know Slow had stomach issues and she had to add rice. I read threads on other forum and they tell you not to even try it if you have "leaky gut" - presumably meaning delicate disposition of the large intestines!

mafiamom, I use olive oil spray (sparingly), garlic salt, Mexican spice of lemon and chilli, salt and vinegar - all yummy! I think the sugar content in Sweet Potatoes does trigger a little bit more of the hunger but it makes a great dessert! All of this results in way less overall, calories. I'll have to see at the end of my seven days whether it really does make a difference in overall wgt loss but clothes are definitely looser! And, I don't wake up with, "Oh crap, today is down day again"!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heather
Stats: 175.8/152.6/145-150
WOE: JUDDD/Potato Hack
Start Date: Restart 6/27/14 - Loss: 23.2 lbs
I wanted to post my results on my trial of the potato hack:
I lost 5 lbs in 4 days:

8/23/14: DD - 164.6 - 500 - Day #1 potato hack today - felt great.
8/24/14: DD - 163.6 - 493 - Day #2 potato hack - no problems, a little weak. (1 lb. loss)
8/25/14: DD - 160.8 - 400 - new low - Day #3 potato hack - still feel good. (2.8 lb. loss)
8/26/14: DD - 159.8 - 420 - new low - Day #4 potato hack (1 lb. loss)
8/27/14: DD - 159.6 - new low - Day #5 potato hack (.2 lb. loss) LAST DAY

I'm doing the purist version by Tim "Tatertot" Steele on the vegetablepharm website. Only potatoes, coffee, tea and water. He eats 2-3 lbs. a day for 5-7 days.

RESULTS:
- I'm impressed to lose 5 lbs. in 4 days, as the average loss is 1/2 -1 lb a day at most.
- It broke my stall like he promised!!!
- I felt good every day, still did my 2 mile walk in the morning.
- Body hunger was near zero, except a couple little growls at bedtime, which I quieted with 2 bites of potato. Potatoes have one of the highest saiety ratings.
- Food cravings have never been lower - like your best DD.
- I'm not sick of potatoes. I believe it's because I kept the amount under 500 cals - 1 1/2 potatoes.
- I have this new view of food emerging - sort of, "why did I think food's so important? I don't think I need as much food as I thought I did."

THE WAY I DID IT:
- MOST IMPORTANT: I did it Tim Steele's way, verbatim!!!
- Ate only organic, unpeeled baked russets - chilled after cooking to increase the Resistent Starch. (He said non-organic is ok. - But peel them then!)
- Ate about 1/2 potato 3x a day - that's ALL! NO salt, spices, nothing, nada. - (I lied, I used 1 T ff milk in coffee)
- Drank 8-10 glasses water.
- Did not do any variations: no rice, sweet potatoes, oats, bone broth, etc.

3 WAYS TO USE THE HACK:
#1. Do it for 3-7 days to break a stall. Or if in maintenance, like Tim, he often does it the first 5 days of the month to bring down weight creep.
#2. Eat only potatoes on DDs (no more than 500 cal). He says this can create a drop of 3-4 lbs a week. (Huh? - must be talking men here.)
#3. For people doing CR and not ADR, rotate 5 days potato hack, 5 days diet as usual till weight is off. (I won't be doing this one.)

Since I did #1 and broke the stall, I'm going to experiment with #2 starting tomorrow.

He said there's no rebound weight, as with other "crash diets". Well......we'll see about that!

DOWNSIDE: According to many of the ph threads on this board and other websites - many had terrible results - got sick, vomitted, had diarrhea, didn't lose weight, got sick of potatoes. That's why I did it Tim's way - he was VERY convincing that not doing the "variations" resulted in the most success. So glad I did.

Last edited by Heather; 08-27-2014 at 04:00 PM..
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Heather, Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I have to try it your/Tim's way, maybe it'll work better this time. I ate mine hot/warm and did not stick to calories. would love to hear how #2 way is working and follow your progress.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I ate mine hot/warm and did not stick to calories. would love to hear how #2 way is working and follow your progress.
JD - I make hashbrowns in the morning in a non-stick pan. But that's after they've been chilled. The Resistent Starch increases a little each time you re-chill them. So it's important to chill them at least once after baking or boiling the first time. He explains the science behind RS, but it goes "whoosh" over my head at times.

I think some failed due to eating too many potatoes, so I count the calories; still need a cal deficit. I think one poster said something like they ate other items and counted those calories, but not the potato calories (something like that)? Wow potatoes have a lot of calories and have to be counted. IMAO.

Oh, this is getting too long ....but...I just registered at *** because they've got a hot ph thread where Tatertot posts. So I just posted some questions to him. If you have any, I'll ask him for you.

See ya' on the weigh in thread tomorrow!!! Glad you're with us over there in our little corner - it's a cozy group. Thanks for your comments.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
JD - I make hashbrowns in the morning in a non-stick pan. But that's after they've been chilled. The Resistent Starch increases a little each time you re-chill them. So it's important to chill them at least once after baking or boiling the first time. He explains the science behind RS, but it goes "whoosh" over my head at times.

I
Heather, do you just boil the potatoes? Or are you baking them? Other than hashbrowns, how did you make them? This is such an intriguing idea, and your success is great! But I'm having trouble wrapping my head around a week of boiled potatoes with no salt!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

UPDATE: I lost .8 today, so that's 5.8 lbs. lost in 5 days on the potato hack.

A little news: I met another JUDDDer on the *** site, who joined yesterday to break a stall, like me. What a coinkedinck! She said she was bingeing on UDs so switched to IE. She's on day 3 and lost 2 lbs. One girl I congratulated lost 6 lbs in 4 days. So my losses aren't a fluke. It's SO SIMPLE - eat potatoes. Like JUDDD, so simple. But so many questions come up, huh? That's why these boards are so active.

Their thread is on fire with people trying it. Lots of successes and people doing it a variety of ways. There's Tatertot and some other seasoned potato hackers mentoring people - same as JUDDD.

Often the ones who are able to stick to it are already disciplined dieters and successful on their own WOE's. And this is just a hack for them to break a stall, like me. Not sure though, I haven't had time to read their posts yet. Peace.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
Heather, do you just boil the potatoes? Or are you baking them? Other than hashbrowns, how did you make them? This is such an intriguing idea, and your success is great! But I'm having trouble wrapping my head around a week of boiled potatoes with no salt!
Hi DEEDEE - my weigh in pal! I love it when people are interested in my latest "maddness".

You can boil/bake/microwave - no matter - the resistent starch (RS) is the same after you chill them. There's recipes on the sticky at the top of the JUDDD board. I don't use them. My favorite is just cold out of the fridge. But some mornings I want hashbrowns.

I tried boiled and baked, and the baked had more flavor - sort of like a baked chicken is better than boiled. I read that nutrients leech into the water also.

You're a successful, disciplined JUDDDer so you'd have no problem. (Unless it's some health reason or your system disagrees with potatoes ) Don't ever eat green ones or the eyes - poisonous.

My advice to you and anyone trying it: Do one DD of ph! See how it goes and take it from there. That's what I did - my first and second days were like a so-so DD. The rest have been great! Today's the 6th day, and I feel SO FULL. My stomach must have shrunk. I could have quite at any time, but happened to love it so I kept going!!!

You don't have to do it the purist way. There's lots of variations listed on vegetablepharm - salt, seasonings, even a little protein. But for my first time I wanted to get the biggest loss possible for my moral, so I skipped salt. But you already know, after you stop salting things, you don't miss it. The potatoes are sweeter. You don't have to do 5 days - start with doing #2 above, UD/DD rotations. I bet you'd get good losses. I haven't tried it yet, but will. (I wish I could give short answers.)

Last edited by Heather; 08-28-2014 at 12:30 PM..
Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Hey Donna! Another pal from "weigh in".

Great job! Read my response to DeeDee above. It would be fun to have others I know trying it with me. It's just in the experimental stage for me now - like I said on the other thread - I think JUDDD is my most comfortable WOE, and this will be a great "hack" for stalls and maybe DD rotations. It's fun for me. Keep me updated!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I thought this was too interesting not to post. Tatertot just posted it on ***. Maybe controversial (?)....but interesting. I'm not going to be posting anymore of his stuff here though - takes up too much room. (BTW: I'm a vegetarian so wouldn't do the Perfect Health Diet he mentions at the end).

Here it is:

Oh, come on you guys! As much as I'd love to be known as "King Tatertot, Potato Diet Guru," I am just dredging up an old, old trick. The thing I love about this is that as soon as you do it once, you are an instant expert. There are no endless levels of higher protocols to follow when it fails to work.

Not everyone experiences great weight loss, but anyone who gives it a really good try benefits from it, and maybe learns something about themselves.

You guys are the real heroes for trying it and not just blowing it off as a stupid fad diet (which it is, lol).

I hope you all have looked at Denise Minger's AHS video a couple pages back, she made me so proud when she broke it down:

There are two ends of the diet spectrum--ketosis and 'carbosis'. Everyone has accepted that ketosis does 'something' to us that allows weight loss, but no one wants to admit that the other end, a nearly all-carb diet, can have similar results.

Also, what I think is ironic is that so many people are willing to sign a multi-year contract to stay in ketosis, but worry endlessly about a week of potatoes.

I'm glad it's like this, I would hate to see people getting into the mindset of endless potato hacking to just maintain their weight. There is no 'Nutritional Carbosis' plan, and I hope there never is. I think the magic of the potato hack involves activating a metabolic flexibility that rarely gets used. That's also the magic of ketogenic diets, but why people think they need to stay on a ketogenic diet forever is beyond me. I guess it's easier to eat fatty foods than spuds.

I tried a keto diet for a while, lost some weight, but found that just to maintain I had to go ever increasingly lower and lower carbs and any incursion into a carby couple days and I'd gain 10 pounds that stuck. I never learned to maintain with that type diet.

Where I ended up finding easy maintenance was with Perfect Health Diet style eating, not fearing starchy carbs, adding RS for gut health, and using the potato diet very sparingly to keep weight in a band I'm comfortable with.

Last edited by Heather; 08-28-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Old 08-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

JD, I cook the potatoes a day ahead because they should be chilled a minimum of 8 hours if possible for the RS to build up. Then you can reheat them anyway you want. So I like to slice or shred them and fry them in non-stick pan w/quick spray of olive oil so they won't stick, and eat them hot. The rest of the day I eat them cold. It's up to your preference.

It's not an absolute to chill them - just best.

Note: I posted that I don't peel them, since I buy organic. But I peel them now because I noticed he wrote this: "For the sake of safety, I recommend peeling all your potatoes. Potatoes contain solanine, a compound found in the leaves, shoots, and sometimes skin of potatoes. Solanine in high concentrations can cause illness and discomfort in everyone, and some people are more sensitive than others. Since you will be eating more potatoes than you ever have in your entire life, please take the time to peel and carefully inspect each potato."
Old 08-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
JD, I cook the potatoes a day ahead because they should be chilled a minimum of 8 hours if possible for the RS to build up. Then you can reheat them anyway you want. So I like to slice or shred them and fry them in non-stick pan w/quick spray of olive oil so they won't stick, and eat them hot. The rest of the day I eat them cold. It's up to your preference.

It's not an absolute to chill them - just best.

Note: I posted that I don't peel them, since I buy organic. But I peel them now because I noticed he wrote this: "For the sake of safety, I recommend peeling all your potatoes. Potatoes contain solanine, a compound found in the leaves, shoots, and sometimes skin of potatoes. Solanine in high concentrations can cause illness and discomfort in everyone, and some people are more sensitive than others. Since you will be eating more potatoes than you ever have in your entire life, please take the time to peel and carefully inspect each potato."
Thank you Heather for the info. Previously I was skipping the chilling part but was seasoning them (no oil, of course) and not peeling them. I'll start on Tuesday as we have other plans this weekend.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Thank you for the excellent info Heather! I'm very impressed with how you're doing so far. I could do a DD of this! I'm not sure about beyond that but that's good advice to try one DD.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote