Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Am I the only one who has to force herself to exercise?

Okay, I admit it. If you looked "sedentary" up in the dictionary, you would see my photo.

Its not that I [I]never[I] move, but I certainly don't get enough exercise. If we are out and about and there are things I want to see and do, I can go for hours, except when my knees bother me. I am fighting that issue full force and feel fine now, but a little curious to see how I do on our next trip. We will do a couple small road trips before the big test of my endurance happens in May when I visit Europe.

It makes a huge difference for me if I do something that I like doing, which I'm sure is true of a lot of people who struggle with this. I'll never be a runner or a kick boxer, but that doesn't mean I can't move.

My favorite exercise is to ride my bike. I LOVE my bike. I take it to the park (we live on a very busy road) and I really enjoy riding around through the trees and along the water.

I also love to dance. Once I get started I'm thinking, what don't you love about this? I also like yoga/stretching. It just feels good.

I don't do routine real well either, which doesn't help. But I have promised myself to do SOMETHING every day. Today I put on the music and danced for 23 minutes. Not a lot, but I give myself a pat on the back for just doing it. I'm very happy with me right now and I feel great.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
I understand completely. I would run, but 1) dont have a treadmill, 2)Hate getting out in bad weather. I like dance also, but the only thing close to an adult class is zumba and I can't make the class times due to work. They only have it twice a week here in the mornings and it's while I'm working. Soooo, that being said I need to find something myself. Did an indoor walking dvd, but ick it was boring.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
The only exercise I enjoy is going for long walks...IN WARM WEATHER. Clearly that doesn't happen much since I live in the tundra. Need I say more? Sounds like you have a few things you enjoy doing and that is excellent! Dance away girl!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
You are NOT alone, Jan. I don't much like it myself. The only thing I've found that I really enjoy is my hula hoop. Not too strenuous, but serious toning. I like the benefits of my exercise bike, and the Tabata routines I have done with it, but I seriously dread doing that. It's HARD! And I haven't done it since before Christmas as a result.

I'd love to learn to dance and use that as exercise, but as it is, I don't really like dancing in public because I am NOT GOOD. Think of Elaine on Seinfeld, and she's better than me!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Oh another thing I love to do for exercise is ride my horses. However, I don't usually ride a lot in the winter. Especially by myself. My horses are
usually a little frisky in the cold air and although I am an experienced rider I am not venturing out alone on horseback. Anything could happen so if im going to hit the ground like a sack of potatoes I'd prefer having a buddy along for the ride. When I ride our arab I could pretty much eat what I want. I have to ride him a couple of hours with a good bit of trot and canter, but boy what Fun!!! Wish i had an indoor arena.

Last edited by JMBM; 01-15-2014 at 11:19 AM..
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I identify with not liking exercise. And I need to so bad! I have a recumbent bike in the house, so it's easy to do. I've only done it 3 times the last three weeks though. I read while I'm exercising on the bike.

Carol, what is the weight of your hula hoop? I used to do that when I went to a place that had circuit training. That place was close by but closed down and I sure wish it hadn't...I could discipline myself to go there most days.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Shirl, mine is a 2.5 pounder. Ordered it online from Walmart, as they don't carry them in the stores, or at least they didn't at mine.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
The only exercise I like is getting out and hiking the mountains with my son. Unfortunately, there is a narrow window between when the snow is gone (late May) and when the fire danger is too high (late August), so I don't do as much as I should outside of that.

Formal exercise bores me to tears and it's hard to stay with it because of that. Also, there isn't much in the way of gyms where I live, so it has to be done at home.

I shouldn't say that hiking is the only exercise I like.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Shirl, mine is a 2.5 pounder. Ordered it online from Walmart, as they don't carry them in the stores, or at least they didn't at mine.
Thanks, Carol, I need to look into that!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I have found them in both Walmart and Target. I think I got mine at
Target.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
The only exercise I like is getting out and hiking the mountains with my son. Unfortunately, there is a narrow window between when the snow is gone (late May) and when the fire danger is too high (late August), so I don't do as much as I should outside of that.

Formal exercise bores me to tears and it's hard to stay with it because of that. Also, there isn't much in the way of gyms where I live, so it has to be done at home.

Ummmm
Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Okay, I admit it. If you looked "sedentary" up in the dictionary, you would see my photo ....
I don't do routine real well either, which doesn't help. But I have promised myself to do SOMETHING every day. Today I put on the music and danced for 23 minutes. Not a lot, but I give myself a pat on the back for just doing it
Heck, I could have written all of your post. Except for the bike. I only like the kind of saddle that goes on a horse.

And about this, "If we are out ... I can go for hours", this is also me! Last year in NYC over the course of 2 days, I walked for AT LEAST 6 miles. I feel as long as there's a destination or scenery along the way, I can do anything. Running for running's sake on a treadmill or road or track leaves me with feeling every single stride is a torturous bore.

We are probably going to finally join a gym now that we've lost a bit and I hope I can learn how to love the elliptical.
Quote:
I shouldn't say that hiking is the only exercise I like
Wonder if I can combine that with the elliptical.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 01-15-2014 at 01:00 PM..
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/171/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
JayLynn, you are not alone! Best walking I do is when I'm on vacation sightseeing!

Quote:

THIS!. Can't stand indoor exercise of any kind. I once bought a treadmill but that was just as a threat to myself if I didn't go out or for rainy days. My Husband bought a stationary bike but I can't stand it, butt starts hurting within couple of mins. So I stick to my long outdoor walks. Not easy, have to push myself many a times. If I had the choice, wouldn't do it! Our house in LA is on the peninsula (rented now), had great hiking places, with ocean view from every path! Miss that it's all flat here along a dried up river bed, still better than a city I guess!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
This time of year, it's really tough to exercise outside. A lot of the roads are still slushy/icy. Also, since they sand the roads when it snows, anytime a car goes by on a dry road, you about choke to death on the dust.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
the best motivator for me and exercise is a buddy. i have a few people i do different things with. one friend is a walker. if it isn't freezing cold we power walk 5-6 miles. it burns calories and we chat the whole time! one friend is a spinner. we make sure the other shows up. my other friend is hot yoga. it is harder to back out when you make a commitment to meet someone somewhere. if it is me alone.... i tend to back out all the time
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
For those who love dancing, give Richard Simmons Dancing to the Oldies a try. Fads come and go, but Dancing to the Oldies is ageless.

Richard's later videos have more modern music if Oldies don't turn you on. I bought the whole Collection of his DVDs.

He also has a new program out. I think it's a 60 or 90 day program for weight loss. You can check his web site about that.

Also if interested check out YouTube video "Dance Workout with Richard Simmons (Sweat and Shout). In fact, this is one of the DVDs I have.

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:

Same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post
For those who love dancing, give Richard Simmons Dancing to the Oldies a try. Fads come and go, but Dancing to the Oldies is ageless.

Richard's later videos have more modern music if Oldies don't turn you on. I bought the whole Collection of his DVDs.

He also has a new program out. I think it's a 60 or 90 day program for weight loss. You can check his web site about that.

Also if interested check out YouTube video "Dance Workout with Richard Simmons (Sweat and Shout). In fact, this is one of the DVDs I have.
Omg, I just feel like I would be laughing more than dancing. I can already see Richard in his blue shorts.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post

Omg, I just feel like I would be laughing more than dancing. I can already see Richard in his blue shorts.
Fine. Make fun of the guy - you know, the one that's helped so many people and is such a caring person. And most of all, not judgmental.
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Anyone have any tips on making going to the gym palatable? I finally got a switch to turn on in my head regarding cutting sugar and grain, I'd really like the switch to turn on in regards to getting that endorphin rush and you just can't snap your fingers and turn it on. I mean, I want to be "done" before I start and there is no "done".
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Richard Simmons usually wears read and white striped shorts. I know because I had some just like them.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post
Fine. Make fun of the guy - you know, the one that's helped so many people and is such a caring person. And most of all, not judgmental.
I'm just a person who finds humor in many things, and most of all myself. Sorry if I offended you, but I find 80's styles quite funny now.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
Anyone have any tips on making going to the gym palatable? I finally got a switch to turn on in my head regarding cutting sugar and grain, I'd really like the switch to turn on in regards to getting that endorphin rush and you just can't snap your fingers and turn it on. I mean, I want to be "done" before I start and there is no "done".
I'm where you are at this very moment.I've finally decided to cut out sugar and grains as well, and if you find some good tips on exercise, please share.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
OK hands down. Get a few exercise work out buddies.
Or even one!
Just walking into a gym gives me strength, a good feeling.
I've been semi handy capped for a year or more off and on,
Doing better with knees, and back now.
I also use to like jogging alone at home. I did better alone than with people.
We use to meet people twice a week to run outside, or gym activity.
Now we are back at the gym, but the other day I went with hd and I watched! unable to actually get to play! due to my back spams. But I still felt that good head feeling of trying to do what's best for me? I hope to hit the wt bench next week.
I'm starting at the empty 45 pound bar 8 reps for bench pressing. I'm very happy there and don't want to encrease the wt...ever. It's enough.
My hd says the 45 pound bar is a dream come true for women to press...I got that already so I'm happy I was up to lifting 50-55 lbs short reps. Of course...never again.
YES exercise will help you inside and out. Just do it

I
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I understand exactly where you are coming from here. I pay a pretty penny for my gym membership every month and I can't seem to get myself out of the house to get there. (it's easier for me to get to the pool since it is only a couple blocks from my house) I want to start taking a yoga or pilates class but I haven't been able to force myself to get there yet. With me, getting up and getting there is the battle. Once I'm there, it's all good. Plus I really miss riding my bike on the trail every morning. Dang you winter!
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I know from years of experience that having a workout buddy or going to gym is just not sustainable for me. As the story goes, I zestfully begin only to peter out as time goes on. I dunno, it just feels like some kind of pressure to me. Probably because I hate doing it.

On the other hand, I KNOW that if I am to be my best in fitness and health, I HAVE to move this body. I have to exercise. I feel like as I get older, its kind of like NOW or NEVER. I'm a pretty darn healthy 60 year old, all things considered. I want to do what I have to to keep it like that.

Again from experience I have found that doing what I like to do, what is fun for me, is the only thing that works. At this point in time I have promised to exercise/move moderately for at least 10 minutes a day then move up, hopefully, to an hour of some kind of physical activity each day, whether it is dancing/cardio, stretching/yoga, weights/strength training. Except for riding my bike or going for a walk, it all takes place in the solitude of my home. I just like it like that.

Today I've accomplished my goal and again exercised for 20 minutes. Next week my target will be 25, moving it up each week 5 minutes until I hit one hour each day. I won't even give myself a day off because knowing me, that is when I start to slack off. I have the luxury of time these days, so one hour doing something each day is reasonable.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I'm just a person who finds humor in many things, and most of all myself. Sorry if I offended you, but I find 80's styles quite funny now.
I find him funny too. He's just so over the top. I don't think finding him funny detracts any from him as an exercise guru. Heck, I'm pretty sure he laughs at himself.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

i bought a hear rate monitor. it really motives me to get up and move. it isn't a complex one, as i just can't handle anything too techy. but it measures my calories, keeps track of my heart rate and tells me what % of the time i am in fat burning vs. fitness mode. you do a fitness test in the beginning so it gets an accurate account of your resting heart rate, which in turn tells you what your maximum fat burning rate is and your best aerobic rate.

i found it is really interesting to see what i am actually burning during an exercise as opposed to what the internet says i might be burning, or what my treadmill says (btw, my treadmill was WAY high on the calorie burn... boo!!)

anyway. it's something that helps me enjoy moving a bit more!

Colleen- 42 years young

10/15/13 - 137 ---- Started JUDDD
12/3/13 - 128.0
01/02/14 - 125.9
my Goal 115
Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
One good tip for me as far as the gym: SHOW UP! Showing up for anything is half the battle. Maybe more.

I've been talking myself out of working out for almost a year.

All of a sudden my DH found out that his Medicare plan offers free gym membership called "Silver Sneakers". My club is one that complies! Hallelujah! I've dreamed about the day DH would join me at the gym!

The minute I walked in I felt motivated. And now that I know he is going to ask me how I did, I work even harder.

I do feel motivated when I walk in the door. Maybe it's because it's a newer facility with gleaming new machines. The place is huge so there's never any waiting. My DH is a swimmer so he goes right to the pool. I look around for a few minutes and marvel at all the different types of people there working their hearts out. Old, young, thin, chubby, guys, gals...just all kinds of people. Makes me feel like "if they can, I can!"

Music motivates me, too. If I put my ipod in my ears and crank it up on my jazzy music, I want to move. Even if it's dancing all over the house (only when I'm alone ) or just scrubbing floors, I want to move.

Show up. Turn on the music. That's all I've got right now.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

something else that helps me. get up and get in my workout clothes. sometimes the very idea of having to change it just too much for me. pathetic, right???
Old 01-17-2014, 05:13 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
i found it is really interesting to see what i am actually burning during an exercise as opposed to what the internet says i might be burning, or what my treadmill says (btw, my treadmill was WAY high on the calorie burn... boo!!)
A lot of gym machines give a 'calories burned' reading without mentioning that it includes an approximation of your BMR - so, sometimes if it says, 127kcals - the user would have burned 100kcals if s/he'd just been sitting in a chair. A number of online calculators do that as well which leads to a fair amount of confusion.

And, confession time, I've been like a bear with a sore head this week, not only because of the removal stress and ear infection, but because I haven't had my usual activities (such as kayaking and the gym - they were all cancelled for various reasons but should be back on track next week). But, I'm very fortunate to have found an activity that I genuinely find to be blissful (kayaking) and I genuinely wish that I could do more of it.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-17-2014 at 05:16 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote