Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Agee
Stats: fat pants/not fat pants/skinny pants
WOE: basic LC
Start Date: 12/3/14
Slow start?

Hey all -
Today is day 14 and this morning I was down 1.5 lbs from my start weight. The 3 lb loss in my stats is from a week ago. Scale is bouncing, bouncing, bouncing.
Slow weight loss is not at all unusual for me. I'm not finding this hard. I've had 14 good days of good rotations in a row. Under 500 each DD and while I'm not counting UD I am not overeating, either. Yes, of course I could count up days and go lower on DD's, but my initial goal was just to get into a good rotation for the first month.
Anyway, was wondering if a slow start has been anyone else's experience?
I started taking pterostilbene a week ago.
I'm still undermedicated for my thyroid. My dr. will increase meds but she does it veeeerrrrrryyyyy slowly.
I guess my point is that I'm not looking for tweaking suggestions...yet. Just to know if my slow start experience is shared? Could it have something to do with the 2-weeks-to-SIRT1 activation?
A
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
i have no answers for you, but i am sure the more experienced "losers" will be able to help you. i was a quick loser, but i also was a meticulous counter.

thyroid is a HUGE factor. if your levels are not where they need to be, that could very well be your issuer right there. i am hypothyroid and i know when my levels are out of whack - it aint pretty!!

hang in there
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Adi will probably drop by and mention that she lost nothing at all for the first few weeks on JUDDD - and now she's a successful maintainer.

It can take some people longer to adapt to the new way of eating (psychologically as well as the proposed genetic up-regulations and down-regulation that are thought to accompany this WOE).

I was horribly fits and starts in my weight loss. You're wise in not tweaking until you have to - and well done on settling into your rotations.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Agee, it also depends on what plan you were following before coming to JUDDD. If you were low carb, and have reintroduced carbs, your body has refilled it's glycogen stores and you could have gained water, but lost fat. Conversely, if you were low calorie every day, and now you're eating "normally" half the time, your body could be confused as well.

There are a few who came to JUDDD from regular eating and had a slow start, and it's generally accepted that they had some internal healing to do before the SIRTs could do their job. Yes, it's possible that you are still building those SIRTs, and it takes everyone a different amount of time to get fully saturated.

I was Hypo (undiagnosed and not medicated at all) when I came to JUDDD, and lost very well. That being said, I lost in weeks one and two, and gained in week 3, despite perfect, completely counted UDs and DDs. Then I went on to lose again in week 4. It could be any number of contributing factors, from your thyroid, to the time of month, any exercise you're doing, etc., etc.

Weight loss is not linear, so do not tweak until you absolutely have to. Best of luck!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
For whatever reason some people do start slowly. I lost 1 pound/week for the first three weeks. Then in week four JUDDD Magic kicked in (you may feel it, for me it was a combo of no hunger/increased energy). After that I lost 2 pounds/week consistently.

Some of our greatest losers were slow starters. And some did end up needing to tweak their calories (or identify and stop eating foods their bodies did not handle well).

It really is too early to worry. Enjoy!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
True. I lost nothing my first two weeks and then started slowly losing. I lost 1/2 pound per week if that much. many weeks I lost nothing and then picked back up with that same 1/2 pound per week. Lost 40 pounds doing that so it worked for me. I am maintaining although back to WLM following Christmas gorging. Ny mantra for KUDDD is patience.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I don’t think a pound a week is slow, but since there can easily be fluctuations of several pounds due to water variations, it can mean that changes don’t show up, and you have to monitor for a few weeks to see what’s happening. I often have two or three weeks of bouncing up and down between the same numbers, then I’ll suddenly drop. The average is close to a pound a week, but there are often times when it seems that nothing’s happening, unless you look at the long term graph.

Of course, at the start you don’t have a long term graph, so there’s no way to tell the difference between the pattern I describe, and a lack of progress, other than persisting for long enough that the weight loss has time to show past normal daily fluctuations.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Great posts from everyone. I can only add my encouragement to keep at it, which you already have well in hand. Good luck!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
i have no answers for you, but i am sure the more experienced "losers" will be able to help you. i was a quick loser, but i also was a meticulous counter.

thyroid is a HUGE factor. if your levels are not where they need to be, that could very well be your issuer right there. i am hypothyroid and i know when my levels are out of whack - it aint pretty!!

hang in there
Do the meds help with weight loss?

Hang in there Agee. I'm with you on the slow ride.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #10

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Do the meds help with weight loss?

Hang in there Agee. I'm with you on the slow ride.
It's not that the meds help with weight loss, but that your thyroid regulates metabolic function, and if you're not optimized on your medication, metabolic function is compromised. It's not something where you can get thyroid meds to use just for weight loss. If you're not in need of the medication, and take it anyway, there are many serious complications which can occur, not least of which is going hyperthyroid which can lead to heart problems.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I like your plan of taking the first month just to get into the good habit of rotations. There is always time to tweak numbers later if you have to, but you may not have to.

My first time on JUDD I bounced around wildly for the first month, then settled in to smaller bounces and steady losses. Not huge, not fast, but steady.

This time I started on December 20th, had some times off plan over the holidays, but still I'm down 8 pounds from when I started. My up bounces are usually 2 pounds. Then after a good DD that goes back down and takes some percentage of another pound with it. Rinse. Repeat.

Stick with it, Girl. You are doing great!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
We are all so very unique. Sustainable weight loss, IMHO, is all about what works for you and makes you feel better. Finding whatever that is requires dedication to keep going and lots of experimenting.

It is fabulous that we have this group to discuss our knowledge and experiences and support each other. For me the support and "go to" food for thought is invaluable. But finding your own true way is a personal thing. I tried for years to do it "by the book" only to succeed initially then fall back and gain it back...and then some, in my earlier years. I learned that relaxing and doing my best is what works for me.

It cannot be stated enough (I think this is Kissa's saying?)...This Is Not A Race.

And to answer your question, Agee, I agree that a slow start is not unusual. Good for you for sticking with it! Some people quit ( including myself in the past) when we don't see the numbers we are expecting.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!

Last edited by JayLynn; 01-15-2014 at 10:29 AM..
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote