Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Looking forward to choosing clothes that I like (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/820647-looking-forward-choosing-clothes-i-like.html)

allisonm 01-10-2014 11:36 AM

Looking forward to choosing clothes that I like
 
Just a quick vent here: I am sick of choosing the least objectionable clothes rather than being able to choose something I actually like. I have had to shop in the large size department for over 3 decades. I'm sick of the sea of mostly black clothes. I'm tired of clothes that look proportionally wide rather than long. I'm fed up with paying an extra $10 for every garment because the manufacturers take advantage. (Yes, there's more fabric in them but not $10 worth.)

I'm really hopeful that JUDDD in combination with low carb is going to get me out of this rut. It's not hard to follow. I usually set myself up for failure by designing a plan that I can't sustain. I can continue on with JUDDD because the breaks are built right into the plan. (But I don't quite trust myself yet to follow through.)

Thanks for listening.

Luv2Eat 01-10-2014 11:45 AM

:hugs:

Yam-Yam 01-10-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonm (Post 16751142)
Just a quick vent here: I am sick of choosing the least objectionable clothes rather than being able to choose something I actually like. I have had to shop in the large size department for over 3 decades. I'm sick of the sea of mostly black clothes. I'm tired of clothes that look proportionally wide rather than long. I'm fed up with paying an extra $10 for every garment because the manufacturers take advantage. (Yes, there's more fabric in them but not $10 worth.)

I'm really hopeful that JUDDD in combination with low carb is going to get me out of this rut. It's not hard to follow. I usually set myself up for failure by designing a plan that I can't sustain. I can continue on with JUDDD because the breaks are built right into the plan. (But I don't quite trust myself yet to follow through.)

Thanks for listening.

Wow, that sounds familiar! I have done that so many times with diet and also with exercise. The plan is usually too aggressive and too strict. Then failure comes just like I knew it would.

I'm trying to find ways to stay motivated. If it means reading Dr. J's book three times I will. I'll have it memorized!

I know you will get there and succeed. Before you know it, you will be buying cute, skinny jeans!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy: BTW: I too hate the way the clothing industry overcharges for larger sizes and how they generally don't make attractive clothes for plus sized women.

It's the same with shoes. I wear a size 11 narrow shoe. It's not easy to find cute shoes in bigger sizes.

JayLynn 01-10-2014 12:33 PM

I can find some clothes I like, such as colors and styles, but goodlord! the material they are made of! I guess its clothes in general nowadays. Made of cheap flimsy fabric. And they sure don't charge according to quality. Even some of the crappy stuff is way overpriced.

I'm much more picky about buying things now. It used to be if it fit, I'd buy it. Now I have to like it AND it has to be good quality.

Sometimes if you get to Ross at the right time there will be some nice brands at reduced prices. They go fast though, so that doesn't happen often enough for me.

And Hi, Allison. Looks like we live in the same neck of the woods. :shake:

LoCarbGal 01-10-2014 01:05 PM

Allison, I could have written that post a year ago. You are so right on all points.

I know you're going to do this, and get to your goal. If I can do it, you certainly can. I know it seems like a long road ahead, but pretty soon we'll be a year or two down the road (I'm two years on the 27th) and you'll be SO happy you did this! I'm cheering for you! :jumpjoy:

allisonm 01-10-2014 03:36 PM

Thanks for the kind replies.

Jan - Yes, we're nearby. What a beautiful scene in your avatar!

Yam-Yam and Carol - I know I'm going to make it this time too. In the past it was a matter of doing something unbearable for more than a year and I would give up. This, on the other hand, is easy. It's more like just waiting for the time to pass while staying the course -- but a course that is very doable.

I've been low carb for nearly fifteen years, so I'm not likely to stray there (it's the only thing that makes me feel healthy and alert). The DDs aren't so bad since you know it's only till tomorrow and it's not even real fasting! You get to eat on the fast days! Imagine that! Fasting that allows you to eat on the fast days! That aspect of it is a novelty for me.

If I had stuck with this combination of plans from the time I figured out that it was best for me, I would be much lighter right now. I can't even remember why I stopped. I think it may have been that I was going through an immense amount of stress and wasn't yet adjusted to the DDs. Maybe the additional stress was too much.

Yam-Yam 01-10-2014 08:31 PM

Allison, I know what you mean when you say you don't know why you stopped. But I guess I know why I did. Life just got to me. Even now when I'm feeling pretty happy and like I'm having success, I'm tempted sometimes. Like on the way home from the movies today DH asked if I wanted to go out to dinner. We were driving by such great restaurants.

Then he said, "oh, I forgot, this is your DD". he sounded kinda disappointed. So, I said "that's fine. We can go out for dinner. I'll just have to be careful about what I choose. "

We didn't do it, but part of me felt deprived that I chose to pass up a lovely evening. I know I could have done it and been fine. It could have been a high DD or a MD. But I chose not to so I can have a great UD tomorrow.

Still, part of me pined away for the "freedom" of just going out to dinner and having whatever I want whenever I want.

Don't know why I said all that! I think I'll be happy with myself tomorrow when I realize I have another great DD accomplished and the sirtuins are building up more.

Right? :sad:

LoCarbGal 01-10-2014 10:50 PM

I think you did great, Yam. You could've done it, and you know it. Just didn't this time.

gotsomeold 01-11-2014 05:24 AM

It's a slippery slope: 'Sure we can go to dinner. I just have to be careful.' ..... 'Gosh, that sounds good. I'll just eat a few bites and bring the rest home for tomorrow.' ..... 'This is soooo good. Well, today will just be a high DD, maybe an MD. It won't matter in a DD or two.'

That can work. But, if repeated too often, it also can lead to a major fail.

I think the most important part is, 'I promised myself today is going to be a DD. I am going to live up to that promise!'

Oh, and learn to evaluate the when/where/what of 'today is not going to be a DD' carefully because JUDDD really is very flexible.

AND, Allisonm clothes shopping for colorful, well fitting, fun outfits is way beeeeyondddd wonderful!!!! Wow, I have enjoyed seeing my wardrobe change as I under-grew sizes!!!

Planelman 01-11-2014 06:51 AM

It was an amazing feeling to finally be able to go to normal stores to buy clothes instead of the Big and Tall store. I had shopped exclusively at the big and tall store for probably 10 years so it was all I knew! Now I can buy from practically anywhere and for way cheaper too! It feels weird to buy clothes at American Eagle (none of the logo stuff, I'm not that guy), it feels like I'm not dressing my age, but it fits well and looks good so I just go with it. I have yet to go buy a new suit, but I think I will need to invest in a couple for work, and I look forward to getting a nicely tailored suit that fits well!

allisonm 01-11-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 16751826)
Like on the way home from the movies today DH asked if I wanted to go out to dinner. We were driving by such great restaurants.

Then he said, "oh, I forgot, this is your DD". he sounded kinda disappointed. So, I said "that's fine. We can go out for dinner. I'll just have to be careful about what I choose. "

We didn't do it, but part of me felt deprived that I chose to pass up a lovely evening. ...

Still, part of me pined away for the "freedom" of just going out to dinner and having whatever I want whenever I want.

I understand. You're lamenting the romantic moment that was lost because of diet. Your husband made a kind, loving gesture and diet got in the way. :nods:

allisonm 01-11-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planelman (Post 16752085)
It was an amazing feeling to finally be able to go to normal stores to buy clothes instead of the Big and Tall store. I had shopped exclusively at the big and tall store for probably 10 years so it was all I knew! Now I can buy from practically anywhere and for way cheaper too! It feels weird to buy clothes at American Eagle (none of the logo stuff, I'm not that guy), it feels like I'm not dressing my age, but it fits well and looks good so I just go with it. I have yet to go buy a new suit, but I think I will need to invest in a couple for work, and I look forward to getting a nicely tailored suit that fits well!

Your weight loss is astonishing and impressive. It's easier for guys to lose, but guys don't usually stay the course like you have. Well done!

Carly 01-11-2014 09:23 AM

Beside being healthier and more energetic- the clothing is one of the most enjoyable parts of having lost the weight! Truly- I love that I can walk into a store and find cute things that actually fit and flatter. That was unheard of at 200lbs and 5'2" (size 20 was not cute on me.)

Librarygirl 01-11-2014 09:49 AM

I know exactly what you mean, Allison. I hated buying plus-size clothing. I had one store that I frequented and I would just pick out a few outfits every few months and buy them without trying on or anything. No matter how "cute" they were supposed to be, or how pretty the colors or design, I never felt pretty. I have a ways to go before I can buy the kind of clothes I want to wear, but it's nice to finally be out of the plus sizes! You will get there too!

sorenkkg 01-11-2014 10:24 AM

I hear you! We have similar stats, though you are super tall (compared to me!)

I remember sliding into plus clothes in my mid-late 20's. I try to find cute, nice stuff that isn't baggy as all get out. I find fitti is more flattering than baggy.

Sometimes, I fantasize about goal, and I get scared a bit (anxious? Not sure of the word) about shopping at a normal store.
Where would I shop? I don't even go in to look, so I think I'd be one of those people on "what not to wear" having a freak out on shopping day!

Also, if I had stuck with JUDDD all of 2013 and not let myself get side tracked, I too would be in a much different place, so close to goal I'm sure.

I'm disappointed in myself, but I can't dwell there.

I'm here now, I'm doing it. The journey of 100 lbs starts with the first 1.

Or 5 ;)

S.

Planelman 01-11-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonm (Post 16752288)
Your weight loss is astonishing and impressive. It's easier for guys to lose, but guys don't usually stay the course like you have. Well done!

Thanks! I agree guys have it way easier, women have a whole bunch of real obstacles that make it extremely difficult. Finding the right combination that works for you is the real key and then staying the course and it will work. When it stops working then a course correction is needed. I've switched things up several times over the past couple of years for just that reason. No one can give you the key to your weight loss, it takes research and personal experimentation to find your key and also something you can live with long term that will help you maintain once the actual weight loss if finished. It feels good once you get there.

At work they have quarterly biggest loser contests, and the same guys always enter and the same guys always win, but they are losing and winning with the same weight they regained since the last contest. So while it is easy for guys to lose, it is just as easy to gain if you don't find something long term that you can live with thats not restrictive, or a crash diet. The funny thing is that I participated in a couple of those contests, but never won, all during my weight loss, but I also don't ever plan on being in a position to ever participate again!

Librarygirl 01-11-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

I also don't ever plan on being in a position to ever participate again!
:goodpost::up: I believe you've got it, Mike!

Seabreezes 01-11-2014 03:54 PM

Yes, you are definitely on the right track, Mike and know you will stay there...

Sirtain 01-11-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planelman (Post 16752529)
...

At work they have quarterly biggest loser contests, and the same guys always enter and the same guys always win, but they are losing and winning with the same weight they regained[emphasis added] since the last contest....

The funny thing is that I participated in a couple of those contests, but never won, all during my weight loss...

Wow. That blows my mind.

...



I love that I have so much more selection now, but I still find myself trying on things that are just too big. I think it takes along tie for your mind to catch up with your body.

calichris 01-11-2014 05:41 PM

This is a huge motivator for me too, Allison! I've been stuck in that awkward place between the plus and regular sizes for several months. (most plus too big, most regular too small ... the sizes on the ends don't seem to be well stocked!)

frogg 01-11-2014 06:32 PM

I know just what you mean! I used to tell people that one day I want to be able to buy clothes that I love and flatter and show off my good parts instead of hoping the largest size fit me and trying to hide all the bad parts. I was so excited the day I was able to buy a pair of jeans at American Eagle - the largest size, a 14. Now I am buying size 10s and getting clothes that look *good* and not hide all my bad. In fact, I even went and bought my first bikini EVER. It's high-waisted to hide all my stomach stretch marks but it's still a bikini :)

The only downside to all this is that my closet is pretty much empty as I remove items that get too big on me. But it's a GREAT problem to have! :D

You will get there too.:shake:

FrostyBeav 01-11-2014 07:36 PM

I'm looking forward to shopping from own closet. When I got down to the mid-170's a few years ago, I bought a bunch of new clothes, including a $100 pair of jeans that made my wife swoon when I wore them. I really want to get into that stuff again.

Yennie 01-11-2014 11:01 PM

I just loaded up 2 garbage sacks full of stuff I purged from my closet because it doesn't fit anymore. Its a great feeling.
I also love shopping from my own closet. A girlfriend and I took our kids to a play tonight. I wore jean leggings and my tall black heeled boots over the leggings. These are the boots, mind you, I could barely zip 1 year ago. And now they're loose enough to wear over socks and jeans.
Awesome.

calichris 01-11-2014 11:38 PM

:clap: awesome, Yennie!

gotsomeold 01-12-2014 06:13 AM

Men's tailored suits look SOOOO great on the right body!

Every time I watch Jon Stewart, I miss the jokes because I am fighting an all-consuming suit envy. I plan to start sewing again just so I can learn to make women's suits that look as good as men's.

Closet shopping is heaven! Twenty-something years ago I bought a jacket (that was way too small) at a thrift store. I loved it so much it moved five times 'cause one day it was gonna fit. This fall. It fit :jumpjoy:

I am in process of closing down my parent's house (they moved to assisted living a few months ago). I needed some cocktail dresses for upcoming events - and wanted something unusual. Very chic dresses my talented, teeny-tiny mother made and wore to company events - oh - 30 or 40 years ago are about to go public again.

allisonm 01-12-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16753291)
Twenty-something years ago I bought a jacket (that was way too small) at a thrift store. I loved it so much it moved five times 'cause one day it was gonna fit. This fall. It fit :jumpjoy:

I am in process of closing down my parent's house (they moved to assisted living a few months ago). I needed some cocktail dresses for upcoming events - and wanted something unusual. Very chic dresses my talented, teeny-tiny mother made and wore to company events - oh - 30 or 40 years ago are about to go public again.

Nancy -- how fun! I'm so happy for you.

I have a few things I've hung on to over the years just because I am determined to get back into them. Some of the styles are horribly dated, like my old acid-washed jeans from the eighties. I won't be able to wear them out of the house but I do want to get them on again. :laugh:

As for sewing suits, good fabric has become very expensive. I'd like to get back into sewing again too but that's what holds me back.

LoCarbGal 01-12-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostyBeav (Post 16753059)
I'm looking forward to shopping from own closet. When I got down to the mid-170's a few years ago, I bought a bunch of new clothes, including a $100 pair of jeans that made my wife swoon when I wore them. I really want to get into that stuff again.

Shopping in your own closet is so much fun! I mean, you already know they're items you love, because you've kept them for however long. And it just feels so great to get into something you enjoyed wearing before. You'll be in those swoon-inducing jeans before you know it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16753189)
I just loaded up 2 garbage sacks full of stuff I purged from my closet because it doesn't fit anymore. Its a great feeling.
I also love shopping from my own closet. A girlfriend and I took our kids to a play tonight. I wore jean leggings and my tall black heeled boots over the leggings. These are the boots, mind you, I could barely zip 1 year ago. And now they're loose enough to wear over socks and jeans.
Awesome.

Leggins and high heeled boots - sexy! I always feel so good when I purge all the stuff that's too big. I love the extra space, but also, it just feels like a clean start. WTG!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16753291)
I am in process of closing down my parent's house (they moved to assisted living a few months ago). I needed some cocktail dresses for upcoming events - and wanted something unusual. Very chic dresses my talented, teeny-tiny mother made and wore to company events - oh - 30 or 40 years ago are about to go public again.

I'll bet those vintage dresses are wonderful, Nancy. You'll have to do a fashion show and post some pictures! I have one dress my mom made for herself in the 60's. It's a sheath dress, above knee length, with long sheer sleeves. I can't wait to wear that to the right event, when I get down to about size 8.

LoCarbGal 01-12-2014 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16753599)
I'll bet those vintage dresses are wonderful, Nancy. You'll have to do a fashion show and post some pictures! I have one dress my mom made for herself in the 60's. It's a sheath dress, above knee length, with long sheer sleeves. I can't wait to wear that to the right event, when I get down to about size 8.

Okay guys. I just had to go try that dress on, and it fit! Some Spanx would be a welcome addition, and a few more pounds lost wouldn't be amiss, but I got it on and zipped, and it's pretty. Very much 60's but pretty.

sorenkkg 01-12-2014 11:13 AM

Omg Carol, soooooo cute! With a "sock bun" to put your hair up! Very mad men. :up:

LoCarbGal 01-12-2014 11:16 AM

Oh yeah! I didn't even think about the Mad Men look. What you can't see in the pic, and what is really cute, is that there's a several inch peek-a-boo slit from the collar down to the cleavage, which is quite sexy. I'm going to have to find a guy to ask me out to a place I could actually wear this....in a few more pounds.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 PM.