Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
More off topic, I have booked the first week of my next adventure!

As I've said before, travel is my passion. I especially love visiting places with a rich history. I've been all over the USA but I have had a strong determination to visit Europe again. I was there a few years back with oldest daughter.

When I get back from one trip I'm soon planning for the next. Lately I've been checking into fares and hotels in cities/regions I want to visit.

Today I found a wonderful deal ($350 per week) on a perfect little room in Amsterdam not far from the train station. I've been emailing back and forth with the owner and so far like everything I hear. We stayed in the same vicinity last trip and I loved it. I am so excited to go back and visit places we missed because of time constraints: Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank house, Keukenhof Tulip Gardens, and the countryside dotted with windmills. I want to take a river cruise while I am there, too.

Since I actually booked this darling little accommodation, I am crazy excited right now and had to tell everyone I know! I've been tossing it around for some time now, wanting to go back, and now I've made the first step to make it really happen.

I can't think of a better incentive to lose more weight and get in better shape.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 05:27 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
What a great experience to look forward to. And you're right, a good motivation to get in better shape for all the exploring you'll get to do. I'm excited for you.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
That sounds wonderful! Dare I ask if the plane fare is reasonable? I would so love to do some traveling one day.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I haven't booked the airfare yet. Looks like around $1200 right now but I'll keep looking. Awhile back it was right around 1000 -- should have grabbed it but then I probably wouldn't have hooked up with these awesome accommodations. After Amsterdam I'm traveling through France so I'm looking for places there now. I have a cousin in Munich so I won't be alone the whole time. But I'm a weirdo who doesn't mind traveling alone. I did it for years for my job.

And sure, go ahead and ask anything. I'm very excited and love talking about it!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
How exciting, Jan! I'm not very brave about traveling far away, so for now I'll live vicariously through you!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the nice comments, Ladies.

I think I'm part gypsy. I've loved going places ever since I can remember.

The first time I traveled alone, for work, I was terrified. But seeing so many wonderful places soon eased all my fears.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
sounds amazing ! Wish I could do that !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
sounds amazing ! Wish I could do that !
Well, maybe when you get old like me.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Thanks for the nice comments, Ladies.

I think I'm part gypsy. I've loved going places ever since I can remember.

The first time I traveled alone, for work, I was terrified. But seeing so many wonderful places soon eased all my fears.
I would love to travel! Alone or with someone.
Traveling alone I could take my time and soak it in...
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
How lovely Jann, we travel a lot too, one of the great advantages of retirement. We want. To go back to Holland too and just moving gently through France is one of our very favourite things to do.

How long do you plan to be away? Or is it open ended?
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Speaking of air fare...have you ever checked out Cheap O Air on line? I didn't want to write it all together because I'm not sure if we can share links or websites here.

Anyway it's the word Cheap and then a capital O (from the alphabet, not a zero) and then air all as one word no spaces.

When I'm feeling wanderlust which is almost every day lately, I go there and check out airfares.

Not too long ago I found a really cheap fare to Hawaii and I almost did it on a whim! It was for the next day and DH even encouraged me to do it if I really wanted to. I found a timeshare near the airport at Lihue and I could have gone for a week. I just didn't want to go without DH. He and I are joined at the hip and love doing everything together.

He couldn't get away because of work obligations. He works out of our home mostly, but sometimes he has to go in person to meetings at the company he works for.

Your trip sounds so exciting, JayLynn! We love Europe. We go as often as we can and love to find places to stay that are right in the heart of all the action.

The last time we went to Venice we got a lovely room overlooking one of the small canals. We stayed right there for 8 days and just immersed ourselves in the beauty of the people and places.

Have fun planning! I hope you get a good deal on your flights.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
I would love to travel! Alone or with someone.
Traveling alone I could take my time and soak it in...
There will be a little each on this trip, which I love. I like to have alone time like you said, to take my time and soak it all in. But it does get a little lonely sometimes and that is when I go sit in a nice place for a meal or a coffee/drink and smile when someone looks at me like "is she alone?". Sometimes a nice conversation ensues.

One of my girlfriends may join me in my travels through France. And my cousin will meet me too, we're not sure yet when. She still works, she lives in Munich.

My daughter just returned from Stockholm and she had an amazing experience. She flew in alone but was meeting a friend the next day. That night she was in the bar in her hotel (it was New Years Eve) and saw two women kind of looking at her now and then. She smiled. Then one came up and asked if she was alone. She said Yes, they asked if she wanted to join them. Daughter is very outgoing and sure of herself and said Yes. They had a lovely evening together and one of the women asked her if she wanted to come to her daughter's birthday party on the next Sat. night. And she did. And had a marvelous time with Stockholm natives. I thought that was just amazing and love to meet locals in my travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
How lovely Jann, we travel a lot too, one of the great advantages of retirement. We want. To go back to Holland too and just moving gently through France is one of our very favourite things to do.

Oh Kissa, you will have to give me tips about France. I'm trying to determine whether I should rent a car. I will spend several days in La Rochelle which I truly adore. An ancestor left there in the 17th century and my dad had a story written about about him which included the street he lived on in La Rochelle at that time, where he was raised. Talk about an incredible feeling knowing you are standing in the same place as your ancestors from 300 years ago!

Then I want to venture out and see some of the SW area,Arles, Avignon, etc.
I've watched wonderful travel shows about this area.

So I'm thinking I may rent a car and just wander around, with some pre-planning of course. It may turn out that my cousin will drive from Munich and join me for this part of the trip. That would be perfect, but she still works even though she is older than me. lol (those dedicated germans!)

How long do you plan to be away? Or is it open ended?
Oh Kissa, you will have to give me tips about France. I'm trying to determine whether I should rent a car. I will spend several days in La Rochelle which I truly adore. An ancestor left there in the 17th century and my dad had a story written about about him which included the street he lived on in La Rochelle at that time, where he was raised. Talk about an incredible feeling knowing you are standing in the same place as your ancestors from 300 years ago!

Then I want to venture out and see some of the SW area,Arles, Avignon, etc.
I've watched wonderful travel shows about this area.

So I'm thinking I may rent a car and just wander around, with some pre-planning of course. It may turn out that my cousin will drive from Munich and join me for this part of the trip. That would be perfect, but she still works even though she is older than me. lol (those dedicated germans!)

I will be gone 28 days. I am finding wonderful little places to stay with hosts that are very helpful. The woman in Amsterdam, I like her already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Speaking of air fare...have you ever checked out Cheap O Air on line? I didn't want to write it all together because I'm not sure if we can share links or websites here.

Anyway it's the word Cheap and then a capital O (from the alphabet, not a zero) and then air all as one word no spaces.

When I'm feeling wanderlust which is almost every day lately, I go there and check out airfares.

Not too long ago I found a really cheap fare to Hawaii and I almost did it on a whim! It was for the next day and DH even encouraged me to do it if I really wanted to. I found a timeshare near the airport at Lihue and I could have gone for a week. I just didn't want to go without DH. He and I are joined at the hip and love doing everything together.

He couldn't get away because of work obligations. He works out of our home mostly, but sometimes he has to go in person to meetings at the company he works for.

Your trip sounds so exciting, JayLynn! We love Europe. We go as often as we can and love to find places to stay that are right in the heart of all the action.

The last time we went to Venice we got a lovely room overlooking one of the small canals. We stayed right there for 8 days and just immersed ourselves in the beauty of the people and places.

Have fun planning! I hope you get a good deal on your flights.
Thanks for the tip on C-O air. I will definitely check it out. I know that early Wednesday mornings is a good time to check on flights. I've got good rates on that day before.

Nice that your hubby encouraged you to go to Hawaii on a whim. Mine is very supportive too, but not near the travel bug I am. He would go if I was uncomfortable about going alone, but I'm not. And this way he can stay home and make some more money to send me...hahaha. We have a small business that definitely helps support all these fun and games. We were in California/Nevada/Arizona for six weeks returning the middle of December and we both had such a good time. Daughter has a condo in Vegas and also a cute little cabana in Los Angeles and I have lots of cousins in Mesa. So we just moved from place to place enjoying the great weather.

Okay, I've blabbered long enough. Told you I was crazy about travel. And actually finding my first place to stay yesterday, and booking it, has definitely lit a fire.

And......for some reason I feel a lot more like researching and planning than eating, so that makes this thread about weight loss, right?
Old 01-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
i LOVE that story about how your daughter met up with new people!

i have only traveled within the US. maybe when my kidlets are older i can broaden my horizons a bit. sounds delightful!!
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
i LOVE that story about how your daughter met up with new people!

i have only traveled within the US. maybe when my kidlets are older i can broaden my horizons a bit. sounds delightful!!
She could write a book about all her amazing experiences. She works in TV and travels a lot for work (like her mama did, not in TV but the travel part).

She went to Nepal on her own and climbed to Mt Everest base camp. Then stayed a few days in Bangkok just because she was so close. Her goal is to travel to every continent, she has been to three and I think she has plans to go to Australia.

She did her internship in Ireland (Galway, its wonderful!) and that is when I got to travel to Europe. I met her there when she finished up.

I hope to get to see Europe some day. The sights and the history are truly amazing. I am kind of strange in that I don't care to travel west, but I'll head east to Europe any time!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Your trip sounds wonderful. I love Amsterdam and the surrounding areas.

My father used to say I had an "itchy heel" in that I always wanted to go some place. I am really lucky that my hubby likes to travel too, so off we go. By the end of February we will have been back to Easter Island, Tahiti, New Zealand and Australia. This summer will find us in Croatia and France. Knowing I have these trips to look forward to makes watching what I eat when home more doable.

Since I started JUDDD I have returned from long trips without much gain. It definitely sits in the back of your mind when making food choices.

Have fun planning your trip. I think that is half of the fun and with the computer to look things up, it is even more fun!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I just looked up the cheap o air that Yam Yam mentioned. There are many, many complaints of fraud and non existent service. I would not recommend trying them unless you have better info.

I'm always looking for deals on airfare
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #17

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I was in Galway in November, what a wonderful little city and incredible surroundings.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

We had dinner a couple of nights ago with a lady who came from there. She goes back every year.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
I just looked up the cheap o air that Yam Yam mentioned. There are many, many complaints of fraud and non existent service. I would not recommend trying them unless you have better info.

I'm always looking for deals on airfare
Thanks for telling me that. I have never bought a ticket from them. I've just looked at the airfares. What a bummer it would be to get ripped off!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Happy Dance for Jan!!!

Add me to the 'I live to travel' list. We love cruising to sample an area...then go back to spend time in the places we liked the most. We have taken - gosh, eight? - ocean cruises. Took our first river cruise (Amsterdam to Basel) last November and totally loved it!

If you are thinking about including a river cruise in your adventures, look at the deals they offer. Frequently you can get air included in the price of the cruise, then work with them to modify arrival/departure dates.

Chuckle, in March we cruise Australia/New Zealand, in May we are planning a road trip to Yellowstone, in June we tour Ireland/Scotland then take the QM2 across the pond/home, in September we cruise the Norwegian fjords and beyond. Hmmm, looks like there may be some open time we need to plan a bit of vaycay..............
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Marking my place to come back and read!

I'm so excited for you! I was in Amsterdam for like 2 days in 2006, and I had a bad cold, so loved it but it could've been better for me.

Can't wait to hear all the deets!
S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #22

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Another here who loves to travel. I traveled through Europe several times as a kid and teen, and spent a year in Denmark as an exchange student when I was 16/17. So much fun! I've been to almost every state in the Union, Mexico, and Canada. There are still sooo many places I'd love to go, and many more I'd love to go again. I'm so envious of all of you who get to travel often! Enjoy!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Took our first river cruise (Amsterdam to Basel) last November and totally loved it!

If you are thinking about including a river cruise in your adventures, look at the deals they offer. Frequently you can get air included in the price of the cruise, then work with them to modify arrival/departure dates.

Chuckle, in March we cruise Australia/New Zealand, in May we are planning a road trip to Yellowstone, in June we tour Ireland/Scotland then take the QM2 across the pond/home, in September we cruise the Norwegian fjords and beyond. Hmmm, looks like there may be some open time we need to plan a bit of vaycay..............
We have been overseas quite a few times, too, and just made plans to do the Amsterdam to Basel cruise later this year with my step-daughter and son-in-law. We did get reduced airfare, $1,049, because we booked with the cruise line (Avalon).
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
How fun!

My first time going time Amsterdam. We got off the train late evening. It was dark, had rained, the puddles of water with the city lights! No one on the streets but us. Was like we were in a movie. We stayed in the railroad inn, theme train everywhere, very small room. I don't recommend it.
We went to Europe again last fall, dh work.
No sleep for two days hurts! The trip kills me. But so much fun.
I'm excited for you!! So fun planning memory's.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Wow, so many ardent travelers in this great group. I love hearing where you've been.

Anyone else?

My plans are coming together nicely. Once I made the big decision to actually travel back to Europe soon, it seems to be falling into place.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Wow, so many ardent travelers in this great group. I love hearing where you've been.

Anyone else?

My plans are coming together nicely. Once I made the big decision to actually travel back to Europe soon, it seems to be falling into place.
Jan, I love that you have plans to visit Ann Frank's house as well as the other sites you listed. I'm going off on a total tangent right now: The first time I was in Amsterdam, I was 10 years old, and we traveled all through Europe by train. My mother had me read Ann Frank's Diary on the train in the days leading up to our Amsterdam visit. We then went to the house while the book was fresh in my mind. It was something that definitely molded me as a human being. I think some of my deep compassion for others (even though I don't always show it, haha), was rooted in that trip.

When I was 17, my class trip (when I was living in Denmark) was to Poland. We visited Auschwitz among other places, and I was really, really moved.

Because of my experiences, we've made a point to raise our daughter with compassion and tolerance. Last summer, when she was 8, we took her to the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles, despite some trepidation about whether or not she was old enough/mature enough to handle the Holocaust exhibit. She did great and she's a very loving, compassionate, tolerant child.

We've also made a point to travel with her as much as possible. She's been to several states as well as Mexico, but I'd love to take her to Europe, the far East, Hawaii, oh anywhere really. I think travel is a fantastic way to learn about our world and share in others' cultures.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Dawn, that is fantastic that you had such experiences as a child. I can only imagine what goes through a child's mind being exposed to the horrors such as the holocaust. Definitely a history lesson of the human dark side.

I remember when you took Keira to the Museum of Tolerance. An excellent history lesson and, like you said, a great spark for true compassion. Your daughter is fortunate to have such open-minded, loving parents.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

46 more days!

I am really excited. Finally this vacation is beginning to feel real. All the reservations have been made and I've been reading and researching until Europe is coming out of my ears! And I'm loving every minute of it.

I have been making progress trying to get into better shape for all the walking and running around we will be doing. I have lost 12 lbs so far this year and I have been riding my bike and just starting weight lifting like is being talked about on another thread here.

It took awhile for this trip to feel real but its beginning to sink in! Just 46 more days!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #29

So exciting Jan! I bet you can't wait!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs