Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Harder because I have a cold? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/820513-harder-because-i-have-cold.html)

allisonm 01-07-2014 08:39 PM

Harder because I have a cold?

I restarted JUDDD on Jan. 1. Unfortunately, I had begun to feel cold symptoms Dec. 31 after a smashingly great vacation in New Orleans and it turned into a pretty bad cold. I'm finding JUDDD much harder this time than my two previous (brief) attempts.

I'm not tempted to throw in the towel; on the contrary I am highly motivated to stick it out for the entire year. But why am I having such a rough go of it this time around? I haven't even been hardcore about it. Because I've been sick, I've been having 700-800 calorie DDs. That should make it fairly easy, right?

Any speculation? Does cold medicine make people hungry or something?

sorenkkg 01-07-2014 09:13 PM

I think there are lots of factors. Yes, meds can have effects on appetite. I find antihistamines make me less hungry, but also sorta cranky.

Having a blocked nose means you can't taste as well, so I found in want to eat more flavored food, I.e higher sugar, salt, fat!

Most JBs have said, when you're sick, take it easy, do what you can. If you can do rotations, good. Even higher cal.
If you want to eat less, fine too. But stay hydrated, and if you're taking acetaminophen containing drugs (Tylenol, etc), you must eat!

I also feel like going back to juddd causes a bit of a detox, which can make you feel crappy too. And, this weather!
Its conspiring against us, but we will prevail!!!
:high5:

S.

LoCarbGal 01-07-2014 09:41 PM

I agree with Soren. I also think that being sick has physical ramifications, like your body needs either more fuel to fight off the bug, or less if you're having tummy symptoms. But also it has mental/emotional ramifications. We tend to want to be comforted when we're sick, and sometimes foods play into that. Something warm and soft like mashed potatoes, or something smooth and cold like ice cream for sore throats.

I'd say, just do the best you can until you're well, and then really dive in again. Hope you get to feeling better real soon!

Carly 01-08-2014 03:39 AM

Part of it my be the lack of SIRT1s. It takes at least 2 weeks at induction level for those little critters to really build up and they help with appetite and mood. When you are feeling better and can get DDs a little lower I'll bet you start to feel the juddd magic! Hang in there.

allisonm 01-08-2014 08:07 AM

Thanks for all the input! I think you all make important points.

Additionally, I'm remembering just now that last time I did this I did a couple weeks of mild IF beforehand. The first time I tried it I had been on hcg and was used to a 500 kcal day. I had forgotten about those facts until now, while typing this reply.

Anyway, it's an UD again and all is well with the world. :) JUDDD suffering is short-lived.

Even with my higher DDs I'm down 8 pounds! That's mainly because I was bloated from a carby trip to New Orleans and I'm back to my usual low carb now. Even if it's mostly water, my pants fit better.

Kissa 01-08-2014 01:42 PM

Well, how lovely is that? 8lbs without particularly low DDs. Good for you, feel well soon.

mafiamom 01-08-2014 01:46 PM

don't down play the "just water" loss! a LOT of the "weight" we gain is really just water! 8 lbs is 8 lbs, no matter what material form it takes :)

Flutter 01-08-2014 01:55 PM

8# with higher DDs!!! THAT is worth celebrating BIG TIME!!! Hurray!!!!!!! :heart:

Hope you're on the mend, too! When I get sick, I want TOAST...and that is never a good thing for me & my waist line. ;)

allisonm 01-09-2014 08:44 AM

Thanks for all the kind words. I dropped nearly all of it in the first two days and things have slowed considerably since then.

Now that I'm starting to feel better I'll have to take the challenge more seriously.

Kissa 01-09-2014 10:16 AM

Glad you are feeling better.