Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Agee
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 6/28/14
adrenal fatigue and JUDDD?

So -
Bear with me b/c I will get to the part about JUDDD soon. Just a little backstory...
I went to my dr. today. She is treating me for Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which is making me hypothyroid. It was our 2nd visit. I am on a very low dose of Armour which will probably be raised in a day or 2. She just wants to check my bloodwork.
While I was there she said I might have adrenal fatigue. I have a child with neurobehavioral special needs and at times it is immensely stressful to parent him, so I know where she's coming from about this. She talked about all the ways to combat adrenal fatigue: sleep, avoiding stress (ha ha), supplements, eating well, which includes both watching sugars/simple carbs and never skipping any meals.
I did not mention JUDDD. Today was only my second real down day since my New Year's eve/New Year's/2 more days after New Year's debacle, so I have no results good or bad to report and I really want to give it a real try before abandoning this like every other WOE I've tried and failed at.
BUT I don't want to damage my adrenals. Which might not even be damaged, actually. I'm pretty sure my lingering symptoms (tiredness, stupidity, aches + pains) are b/c my thyroid meds aren't high enough. She's just guessing on the adrenals - apparently if we up the thyroid meds this might tell us something re: my adrenals b/c I'll feel worse, not better.
I did a little research re: adrenals and intermittent fasting and got mixed results whether or not it was a good idea.
Anyone have any personal experience to share?
(And thanks for reading my novel).
A
Agee is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I remember someone was having adrenal issues and seeing a naturopath. I think it was Mykidsteacher. She was around before Xmas for a while but I haven't seen her posting lately.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
No experience per se, but since juddding and losing 80 pounds I'm all together healthier, more energetic and in slightly less pain.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
i think working on all the other issues would be just as helpful. i don't think missing meals is your biggest trigger. i have found the IF has actually calmed me down stress wise. i think i would work on your biggest stressor. that of raising a child with special needs. is there a support group you can join? places you can go to meet other parent's in your special circumstances? is there a way you can have someone come over once a week for a few hours to relieve you? IMO, if you are experiencing symptoms of AFS, that is the area that will benefit you the most to address.

how is your blood pressure? you can get a saliva test to check for adrenal burnout. it measures cortisol, i believe.

Colleen- 42 years young

10/15/13 - 137 ---- Started JUDDD
12/3/13 - 128.0
01/02/14 - 125.9
my Goal 115
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I don't have any personal experience to share, but I guess with not knowing for sure you actually have adrenal fatigue, I would go ahead and keep JUDDDing and treating the hypothyroidism, which can be tough to get stabilized in itself. If you try messing with too much at the same time, you may never be able to find the solution to any given problem. Besides, as Carly said, losing weight can only make you healthier and feel better. And that is a definite "side-effect" of JUDDDing!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Hey @mafiamom -
Thank you for those suggestions. I really appreciate it. And I do all those things - I am actually a trainer in my son's specific disorder and I run/participate in support groups online and off. So yes, while it's very stressful parenting him I am doing a lot to remediate that stress. I have babysitters and family support and activities he can do. And of course your advice is the advice I often give others.
I don't know that I'm experiencing symptoms of adrenal fatigue. The dr. seemed to think so. I think I'm experiencing symptoms of hypothyroid and my medication needs to be increased. From what I read online it seems to be a chicken-egg thing, although upping my Armour may result in worsening feelings, which may indicate adrenal fatigue.
I don't feel worse on my DDs. I just feel a little hungry.
I am not chronically sick, which seems to be one symptom of adrenal fatigue. I am emotional, tired, achy, foggy and I am on the lowest dose possible of thyroid meds.
I'm going to stick with JUDDD for now, and I should have my lab results today or tomorrow, which will let me know if I can go up on my meds.
Thanks, everyone!
A
Old 01-07-2014, 04:28 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
A friend has had good success with her adrenal fatigue by having high protein breakfasts(as in 50+ grams of protein) within an hour of waking.

Also, remember if it worries you, that you don't have to SKIP meals with JUDDD, you just make them smaller.

Good luck.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:22 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

all the symptoms you listed are also related to hypothyroid. i agree with a PPer who said get the thyroid under control first, than re evaluate. hugs! i hope you start to feel better. i totally can relate to how annoying it is to feel so less than par
Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
I don't have any medical advise but I can totally relate to your stress and parenting a special needs son. We have a 17 year old "autistic" son, I put the autism in quotes as we have found out through genetic testing that he is not technically autistic. He has a faulty number 15 chromosome, it has too much information glued to it, his symptoms mimic severe autism so we tell people he is autistic (plus he has a whole bunch of really nifty autism t-shirts to explain his sometimes wackadoodle behavior). So yeah, stress is a way of life for me, though as he has gotten older he is waaaaaay easier to handle, he understands so much more now than when he was 10. If you ever need/want to talk or even just vent please PM me and I will lend an ear.

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, thank you Becky. I really appreciate that. It's important for us moms of kids w/SN to know we're not alone in this!
My son has FASD, which is fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. I am hoping he mellows as he gets older. We've made a lot of changes in our lives to try to make life easier for him and allow him to settle down, but there are still a lot of trials and tribulations in our days.
An update to the whole adrenal/thyroid thing:
I was given the go-ahead to up my thyroid meds, which is great. I also bought adrenal support supplements and will start taking those today. I figure it can't hurt, right?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

i hope the changes work for you!!