Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/820347-what-would-you-do.html)

Becky 01-05-2014 04:01 PM

What would you do?

My husband has lost 25 lbs in the last 3 months mostly due to his 6x per week exercising (wakes up early and does a DVD). I have decided to give JUDDD another try and am doing great (4 lbs in 5 days!), I have never talked down his method of losing but he made a crack about JUDDD when I mentioned I wanted to start up again. He called JUDDD the "starving yourself diet" and said exercise is better (I HATE the DVD he has, the instructor is Annoying as all get out), I do have some ballet DVDs that I want to start up again though. I actually added up the calories from 2 week of JUDDDing and they were the same if not more than what I would be eating on a "normal" calorie restricted diet (Weight Watchers) which by the way he would love me to join again (I literally starve to death while on WW it is pure torture for me after a few weeks!). He knows the last time I was doing JUDDD I also belonged to WW but was only going in to get weighed, I was following JUDDD (lost 20 lbs in 2 months!), he just thinks I'll "do better" if I join WW...UGH!!! Men! Sorry, this was mainly a vent...usually we agree on almost everything but he thinks his method of weight loss is the way to go, I disagree. Oh well I wouldn't have been married to him for 26 years if little things like this were dealbreakers. ;)

Carly 01-05-2014 04:09 PM

He can do what works for him and you can do what works for you.
You 2 can agree to disagree about how the other should lose weight. I would think he just wants you to be happy, healthy and successful- maybe he thought you were really hungry when you juddded in the past :dunno:

leonak 01-05-2014 04:46 PM

You may want to try HIS way, you know do HIS tape along with him, give it all you got! Maybe, just maybe you will like the results! Just don't let the instructor get the best of you, so what if you don't like him.

Many times I tried things I did not want to, but was so glad I did in the end.

Just a suggestion, do want you think is best.

I also know all about the subject of "MEN! We just had our 50th and dh does roll his eyes at the way I eat - sometimes, but not all the time!:hyst: Like today I made something his way, he did the cooking of our lefse and it was not going just right for him, I told him I made them HIS way - see what I mean - MEN! But they did turn out just super great, we each had some for dinner and they were ever so good!

Good luck to you! :heart::love::heart:

Becky 01-05-2014 07:02 PM

I did do the workout with him about a month ago on a Saturday (I can not/will not get up at 4:30 on weekdays to do it, I have enough problems sleeping but that hour would kill me for the rest of the day). His new workout PX something or another is like a power yoga one and it is 90 minutes, he will do that one once a week so I will try that, I like yoga! I was mostly just whining, I do enjoy exercise if I get to pick something I enjoy.

JMBM 01-05-2014 08:54 PM

Yeah I tried WW right before I started back on JUDDD. WW felt like a DD EVERY day. I didn't even stay on it a week and finally said forget this. I would let him do his thing and you do what works for you. The results will speak for themselves. :up:

Slimming-up 01-05-2014 09:06 PM

A little healthy competition could be a very good thing in this case. My dh thought I was on some wacko fad diet 37 lb ago...
Now he has nothing but respect for what I've done :)

I say you do your thing, and let him do his. You don't have to have his approval, just do what works for you.

Sounds like JUDDD fits you!

Becky 01-06-2014 04:56 AM

I agree a bit of competition is a good thing, keeps things spiced up! :up:

LoCarbGal 01-06-2014 12:38 PM

Well, exercise alone is rarely the weight loss answer for women. Men build muscle, which burns fat, so much more easily and quickly. So no wonder it is working great for him. I'm not anti-exercise, but I think it's been pretty well proven that it is not the weight loss miracle that we've been taught to believe.

You know that JUDDD works, and he will too once you've proven it by example. Just keep doing your thing and soon he'll be singing your tune. Good luck!

Kissa 01-06-2014 04:07 PM

Vent away Becky, I'd be mincing him up for an UD burger if he were mine. I'd say, rise above it, do what you know works for you and let him watch you shrink. Find an exercise routine you enjoy, like the ballet, which will help JUDDD change your shape.

Becky 01-07-2014 03:56 PM

Thanks for the kind words and advise everyone!

Yennie 01-07-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16744843)
Vent away Becky, I'd be mincing him up for an UD burger if he were mine. I'd say, rise above it, do what you know works for you and let him watch you shrink. Find an exercise routine you enjoy, like the ballet, which will help JUDDD change your shape.

:goodpost:

LOL, this is what I was thinking. Mine knows better ;)

Honestly though its really frustrating when someone in your life is so singleminded like that. My mom is the same way - she's a card carrying member of the "It worked like this for me therefore it obviously works like this for everyone" club. It can be so annoying. I usually smile, nod, and do my own thing. Harder to do when you life with the guy but I agree to keep on keeping on and show him with your results!

Carry on friend!

Librarygirl 01-07-2014 06:38 PM

I am fortunate that I have had support from almost everyone, including my bf. I agree with everyone here: just go ahead and do what you do, and he'll see the awesome results! If necessary, show him the calculations of two days, so he will see that you are not starving. It shouldn't be necessary if you are eating pizza or something else delicious EOD. :D

wiiiifit 01-08-2014 01:32 AM

My husband has gone off plan for the last while. It does make it a little harder for me. I had a system. We rotated meals and on some of my low days I would make low carb for the whole family, then next down day meat, green veggie for all and maybe a side veg, fruit, carb for just the kids. Maybe one day a week I would make something really low carb/low cal just for me and dh and then something the kids really like (Spaghetti being the best choice for me because it is quick, easy and SO high carb, high cal that I wouldnt even think about it on my worst down day.) But I am really having to change things up and figure out new things since my partner has gone AWOL.

Still doing the one down day low carb for everyone meal. They usually add something carby themselves a couple hours later. (I have two teens and a tween.) Now, I am experimenting with a hard boiled egg day for me when I make the high carb/cal meal. I guess it is just the moral support and "misery loves company" aspect I am missing.

Librarygirl 01-08-2014 07:30 AM

I usually have the most satisfaction from a meal, when I eat spaghetti. I rarely overeat afterward, or have more than one serving. I use tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, onions, mushrooms, and a tiny bit of tomato paste, along with very lean hamburger (minced meat). I also do not use a lot of pasta personally, so I think it is quite reasonable calorie-wise, although the carbs may be a bit high due to the pasta.

FrostyBeav 01-08-2014 09:49 AM

I like spaghetti over rice since I can't eat wheat. I make it with some ground beef, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, chopped spinach and add in a frozen veggie mix that has onion, zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms and beans. Really good and very filling.

wiiiifit 01-08-2014 01:08 PM

Isn't JUDDD great that we can all adapt it to our needs. I eat very low carb down days, mostly low carb weekdays and have a higher carb day on the weekend.

Spaghetti, linguine, alfredo, once even lasagna are all things that I have made for the kids on a low day and they just don't really tempt me at all. Now rice and mac and cheese are a whole nother story. I have rules about them. I probably have rice once a week and I make it healthier making it brown (for the fiber, carbs are high in both) adding bone broth, flaxseed, veggies sometimes cream or on a splurge day maybe even a cream of chicken soup. I love rice but I have to be careful or I will over do it.

Mac and cheese is like my kryptonite. I could never/would never even think about making it for the kids on my down day. It is a trigger food and I would be really tempted to abandon my DD. I have *RULES* for it. If I'm going to do that it has to be a weekend splurge, it has to be homemade or it isn't worth it and I prefer to make it myself and intentionally limit the amount I make. The more I make; the more I want; the more I eat. I might have mac and cheese once a month; but usually less often than that. I am usually in the frame of mind where I Dont. Even. Care. AND, nobody better say I word about it.. Lol, more like the I dare anyone to even make a comment about my food choices today frame of mind.

Librarygirl 01-08-2014 05:26 PM

I love your ideas for rice! Now I want to cook some with cream of chicken and veggies.:yummy:

Flutter 01-08-2014 05:34 PM

I am sure my husband wasn't expecting much out of Juddd when I started. He was used to me going up & down for years and never being able to stick to it. He sure is more supportive now. ;) I've been married a long time, too (23 years for us, 25 together) and I've learned to just tell him that I want him to simply listen to me vent, and shut his mouth if he disagrees with my plans. ;) You do what you know works for you and he can do what works for him. If he says something again, that is surely what I'd tell him! Gotta love marriages. hehe! Keep going girl, you're off to a great start! :heart:

Becky 01-09-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostyBeav (Post 16747620)
I like spaghetti over rice since I can't eat wheat. I make it with some ground beef, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, chopped spinach and add in a frozen veggie mix that has onion, zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms and beans. Really good and very filling.

I have an up day tomorrow and this ^ is totally going to be my supper!!! :clap:

My husband is coming around, he asked if I wanted any ice cream the other day but also asked if it was an up day or down day, I told him up but still didn't want any but was glad he is more accepting. He was totally behind me last time I JUDDDed and he will most likely be totally behind me this time too when I don't quit after 2 months, that seems to be my breaking point and I think he just doesn't want to see me fail. I think the starvation diet comment came from me whining about being hungry a few times on down days last time. He knows this way of eating works for je as I lost so fast and regularly last time, it's doing it's magic again this time too!

The new yoga DVD he has looks really good, I'm going to give it a shot on Saturdays (it is 90 minutes long!!). I'm also getting supplies to build me a PVC pipe barre so I can do my ballet DVD in the livingroom! :jumpjoy: using a chair was a pain in the tush.

Again, thank you for all the replys, you guys are awesome! :up:

handbells 01-09-2014 07:14 AM

My DH is fairly supportive, but he makes snarky comments about my food choices all the time. All.The.Time. It gets old after awhile.

Sirtain 01-09-2014 08:07 AM

Speaking of pasta...

My spiral slicer should be here within the week. I am really looking forward to twirling up some zucchini noodles. And they would be completely acceptable on Down Days!

KeirasMom 01-09-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirtain (Post 16749103)
Speaking of pasta...

My spiral slicer should be here within the week. I am really looking forward to twirling up some zucchini noodles. And they would be completely acceptable on Down Days!

My spirelli might be the most used item in my kitchen other than the microwave! I LOVE zoodles and have them often on DDs and even sometimes on UDs.

LoCarbGal 01-09-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 16748962)
My husband is coming around, he asked if I wanted any ice cream the other day but also asked if it was an up day or down day, I told him up but still didn't want any but was glad he is more accepting. He was totally behind me last time I JUDDDed and he will most likely be totally behind me this time too when I don't quit after 2 months, that seems to be my breaking point and I think he just doesn't want to see me fail. I think the starvation diet comment came from me whining about being hungry a few times on down days last time. He knows this way of eating works for je as I lost so fast and regularly last time, it's doing it's magic again this time too!

The new yoga DVD he has looks really good, I'm going to give it a shot on Saturdays (it is 90 minutes long!!). I'm also getting supplies to build me a PVC pipe barre so I can do my ballet DVD in the livingroom! :jumpjoy: using a chair was a pain in the tush.

Again, thank you for all the replys, you guys are awesome! :up:

You are pretty awesome yourself! :hugs:

Regarding the whining about being hungry. At one point I realized I was talking a lot about how I wanted things that I couldn't have and that it was making friends and family members uncomfortable eating around me. That truly never bothered me, I just felt sorry for myself, having to restrict. So I have made a conscious effort to NOT verbalize when I feel that way anymore. It has helped my people relax around me, but more than that, it has really helped my mental state. I have the thought, and consciously let it go, and I feel better. It works most of the time, but of course I slip every now and then. :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirtain (Post 16749103)
Speaking of pasta...

Oooh, you're gonna LOVE IT! I love my zoodles so much. I haven't ventured outside of zoodles much, but I will.

FrostyBeav 01-09-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

I have an up day tomorrow and this ^ is totally going to be my supper!!! :clap:

I hope you like it. I need to put it on the menu next week.

Quote:

My husband is coming around, he asked if I wanted any ice cream the other day but also asked if it was an up day or down day

We plan our menu for the coming week on Sunday and my wife is now pretty good about asking "when are you eating this week?" She's been good about working around it. In fact, JUDDD is the easiest thing I've ever done to work around when it comes to family dinner time. She just plans on a smaller dinner or leftovers for her and my son on my DDs.

Becky 01-09-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handbells (Post 16748991)
My DH is fairly supportive, but he makes snarky comments about my food choices all the time. All.The.Time. It gets old after awhile.

I think in my case I was making snarky comments about him exercising (to myself, I never actually vocalized then to him) because I felt bad I wasn't doing anything about my weight. I tend to think snarky comments we or others make about basically anything have to do with us feeling bad about ourselves, or jealous of the other person somehow. He may be insecure and feel that you're getting all sexy and skinny and that you'll leave him, my inwards comments about my husband getting all sexy and in shape were due to insecurities, I'm fine with it now, he can be all kinds of sexy for me!!

FrostyBeav 01-09-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Which yoga DVD does he have? I've been thinking about getting the DDP Yoga DVD but have been debating if I would actually do it or not.

Becky 01-09-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrostyBeav (Post 16749408)
Which yoga DVD does he have? I've been thinking about getting the DDP Yoga DVD but have been debating if I would actually do it or not.

I think it is one of the DVDs that comes with the PX90 (or something like that) set, I'll ask him when he gets home. He did it for the first time this morning and said he stretched muscles he didn't even know he had! :laugh:

FrostyBeav 01-09-2014 10:52 AM

Thanks

Becky 01-09-2014 11:12 AM

Welcome...

There are globs of excellent yoga DVDs out there, peruse Amazon, see who has the best reviews, see if your local library has them to try out then go from there. There are even apps that show a bunch of poses, I think I have one on my iPad somewhere....

HomeWorkerMT 01-09-2014 01:22 PM

I haven't joined in the conversation for a while but have been lurking! I bet your husband has P90X. My 26-year-old son and his wife got that. It nearly killed them, and they were in very good shape when they were doing it. :dunno: