Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Beverage Ideas (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/820228-beverage-ideas.html)

Librarygirl 01-03-2014 03:47 PM

Beverage Ideas

I may have had a thread with this title or one similar before...:confused:

I like caffeine, and I want some *taste*, especially on DDs. I drink a lot of diet soda, and need some ideas for something else besides coffee, tea and water. Those I already know about.:D

I KNOW water is the best option, but I just can't drink it like I can diet soda...seems so bland and I end up forcing myself to drink it. I've tried adding lemon and fruit, flavored drops, etc. It works sometimes, but it's not something I go for usually.

KeirasMom 01-03-2014 03:52 PM

Have you thought about getting a soda stream? I don't drink tons of soda, but that looks interesting to me since you can add whatever flavors you want and still have the bubbly soda aspect.

Librarygirl 01-03-2014 03:57 PM

I have actually looked at one, but haven't considered it. That's an idea. :)

What do you usually drink? I can drink water better at work than at home. Do you drink it at home too?

KeirasMom 01-03-2014 04:07 PM

I drink black coffee in the morning, sometimes an iced tea, then water all day long. I almost never flavor my water. I "might" have a cup of coffee or tea in the afternoon if I'm dragging. Then I have dinner and AFTER dinner, all bets are off. Then I'll have either wine or scotch and club soda, or rum and diet (Cascade Ice has some good fruity no-calorie sodas).

I'm one that has no problem drinking water though. I track it and usually have between 14-20 cups per day.

SlowSure 01-03-2014 04:10 PM

I have a Soda Stream because I like slightly fizzy water. I liquidise a lemon, add some fizzy water and French Vanilla stevia drops and it tastes like a Snowball (notoriously kitsch Christmas drink in the UK).

I like ginger ale or the equivalent of steeping fresh ginger in a little water to make a concentrate and then diluting with water (fizzy).

A tad niche, but I ferment my own apple and other fruit vinegars, and I dilute those with cold fizzy waters (maybe a little sweetener) to make a shrub.

Librarygirl 01-03-2014 04:14 PM

I wish I could spend a week with you, Slow. :) I think I would enjoy trying all the concoctions you speak about.:heart:

Lemontini 01-03-2014 04:32 PM

I have a Soda Stream and love it for fizzy water, I usually just drink it plain or add a bit of lemon or lime juice to it. It's helped me step down from the huge Diet Pepsi habit I had.

JMBM 01-03-2014 04:47 PM

I have put crystal lite/light? into my ice tea for an Arnold Palmer. Did the same thing with the orange drink mix. It was pretty tasty to me.

Librarygirl 01-03-2014 04:51 PM

Are Crystal Lite and other similar drinks/additives "healthier" than diet soda? Just wondering. Also, I have a caffeine addiction. ;) I need some caffeine throughout the day.

KeirasMom 01-03-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16740644)
Are Crystal Lite and other similar drinks/additives "healthier" than diet soda? Just wondering. Also, I have a caffeine addiction. ;) I need some caffeine throughout the day.

I think of them as just like diet soda without the fizz. :dunno: But I don't have a problem with diet soda either, as long as you're not consuming TONS of it every day. My main issue with soda in general is the cans and their possible link to dementia/Parkinson's/Alzheimer's. If it's in a bottle, I don't see the problem, even though others will argue against the AS.

JMBM 01-03-2014 05:00 PM

They have the artificial sweetners but I don't think they have as much sodium as diet soda. You still get caffeine from the tea but not sure if it has the same amount as diet drinks. I've got the same issue. Hate getting the headaches without having my diet drinks. :cry:

Librarygirl 01-03-2014 05:01 PM

I guess I drink about 5 diet sodas a day, sometimes 6-7. Probably considered a ton, lol.

ETA: My mother has dementia, and she never drank sodas. In the can or bottle. She also ate mostly vegetables grown in our garden, and also grew up eating farm raised meats and vegetables before she married.

mafiamom 01-03-2014 05:31 PM

not that it truly matters, but alzhiemers is different than dementia. dementia is a hardening of the arteries in the brain causing decreased blood flow which than causes memory loss, usually the more recent memories. typically dementia patients remember early life memories and forget the more present/recent memories. alzhiemers is an degenerative disease in the brain where you not only lose your memory, but eventually you regress back to not being able to eat, walk or dress yourself. it is like going completely backwards in development. there are some studies that link alzhiemers to metals being found in the brain. hence, where the alarm comes from the aluminum in deodorants, pots and pans, and canned food/soda.

i have a love hate relationship with AS. i don't do asparteme at all as i saw a liver dissection from someone who consumed a lot of asparteme. shudder.... not fun. i do do splenda tho. i have no idea if that is bad or not. probably years from now it will come out that it causes something horrific.... waist watcher is a soda that uses splenda rather than asparteme. the coffee mates use sucralose (splenda) as well.

itsmeshelly01 01-03-2014 06:12 PM

I don't drink a ton of diet soda but I crave it more on DD's. I try to do the ones with splenda. I love diet root beer and diet ginger ale. Shasta diet drinks are awesome. Dad's rootbeer is one of the best!!
I drink a lot of tea on DD's. Mint tea is really good. I think its LaCroix? I think that's what it is called. it is carbonated water with flavors that are sugar free. They are supposed to be really good. For some reason I really crave the carbonation on DD's. I think its kinda filling or something.
But I also drink tons of water. I usually drink 4 16 oz bottles plus coffee and tea. I use those MIO drops and the other kinds of the little liquid bottles.

Librarygirl 01-03-2014 06:49 PM

My mother's mental problem is probably dementia, but could be alzheimers? She forgets things quickly, but also doesn't seem to remember things in the past. Some days are better than others, and so far she always remembers me, on the phone and in person.

mafiamom 01-03-2014 07:07 PM

hugs cindy. it's so hard when our parents begin to really age. my mom is 83 and i see more and more decline :hugs:

LoCarbGal 01-03-2014 09:39 PM

I've been enjoying the Ocean Spray Cran-XXX juices - the Diet versions with like 5 calories per 8 oz. My favorite is Cran-Cherry. I like it over ice, but sometimes I'll even drink it in a wine glass. Sounds dorky, I know, but it makes it special and helps me on DDs when I can't have my gimlet. And now that I'm avoiding alcohol for a couple of weeks, this may be an everyday treat. No caffeine help though.

SlowSure 01-04-2014 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16740611)
I wish I could spend a week with you, Slow. :) I think I would enjoy trying all the concoctions you speak about.:heart:

That would be delightful. :)

Failing that, do you have any korean shops nearby? They tend to have a good range of drinking vinegars (Koreans do this quite a lot and have a good range of fruit drinking vinegars such as cherry, pomegranate and they're very refreshing).

A couple of dashes of Angostura bitters (various flavours) adds a good pick-me-up kick to water.

Librarygirl 01-04-2014 07:25 AM

We have at least one Asian market, but I'm not sure if it's Korean. It's worth a try! I do have a Korean friend, with whom I need to get together soon, and I could ask her. Sounds interesting!

sorenkkg 01-04-2014 10:01 AM

I have a soda stream (well, it's a wand, but they recalled it, but we love ours, so we ignored the recall ;) ) and I got it bc dh was drinking gallons of store bought Italian lemon fizzy water, in glass bottles. I was like, this is nuts.

He loves the soda stream, and other friends I have who use their countertop model,love it too. Lots os flavors, incl caffeine flavors. And yes, totally cheaper than buying bottled soda.
And if you want to have less caffeine, they have other options.

That said, I drink mostly water. I like it cold, and love my ice maker and filtered water from the fridge.

You know I have a tea *thing*, sometimes hot and often cold. For iced tea, I either make it fresh (2x the amount of tea in regular amt of water,then pour over ice) or if I prep in advance, I cold brew- so the tea leaves can stay in the cold water and not pull out the astringent flavors. You can google how, it's very easy.

I learned from you guys here, a splash of vanilla almond milk in my black-based teas, feels luxurious to me now, even on a dd.

Hope some/any of this helps you in your quest!
S.

LiLi914 01-04-2014 01:55 PM

How do you feel about Green Iced Tea, Cindy? Sometimes I just can't do water or MIO in the water so i drink Diet Green Tea all day. The colder the better. Turkey Hill'Hill's is good and so is the store brought brand.

Librarygirl 01-04-2014 02:43 PM

I bought some sparkling water today, and I have had it before, but thought I'd try it again. I have a few different flavors to try. I'm also considering the soda stream...Iced green tea is an idea, and I've drank it some over the years. I grew up on iced black tea (southern gal), but rarely make it now-a-days. Might be a habit to restart!

Eieio 01-04-2014 02:46 PM

I've been reading from my new book The One Plan by Cameron OB? He's a Yoga-guru-instructor.
He says that cold liquids cause our digestion system to stop or [U]slow down[/U.
He says to drink after or before eating, not to drink the same time as food. Liquids caz the acids in our stomach to be deleted for digestion. Makes since to me.
If u must drink while eating to make it half a cup of hot or warm drink, water, tea.
I m going to try it, but keep forgetting.
Totally different way of thinking for me. But I want to try, since it is winter time, would be best try now.
Can't imagine giving up my ice diet coke and ice tea- ouch!

Kismet311 01-04-2014 03:07 PM

I bought some Ocean Spray Diet Pomegranate-Cranberry Juice. It's only 5 calories per serving and I usually only drink half a serving and add water and ice. It is a good flavor instead of drinking just plain water. They also have a bunch of different flavors.

Librarygirl 01-04-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eieio (Post 16741842)
I've been reading from my new book The One Plan by Cameron OB? He's a Yoga-guru-instructor.
He says that cold liquids cause our digestion system to stop or [U]slow down[/U.
He says to drink after or before eating, not to drink the same time as food. Liquids caz the acids in our stomach to be deleted for digestion. Makes since to me.
If u must drink while eating to make it half a cup of hot or warm drink, water, tea.
I m going to try it, but keep forgetting.
Totally different way of thinking for me. But I want to try, since it is winter time, would be best try now.
Can't imagine giving up my ice diet coke and ice tea- ouch!

I read that years ago too, and got into the habit of never drinking anything while I eat. What I read said to wait at least 50 minutes after eating before drinking anything. I don't always do that, but I rarely drink *while* eating.

I love all these ideas and want to try many of them! Thanks!

mafiamom 01-04-2014 04:23 PM

my cousin got gastric bypass surgery and her doctor told her people should never drink while eating. luckily, i have never been a big drinker so it's not been a problem for me. i takes a LOT for me to finish a cup of anything.... except coffee. coffee doesn't count :)

Eieio 01-05-2014 10:52 AM

Hummm interesting!
Ok the cold and ice outside is keeping me reading.
I now have three books I'm reading on iBook, iPad.
They are to easy to buy:)
I have "the cut" by Jillian, and couple from the guru Cameron.
Jill's s interesting, she has always scared me.

allisonm 01-09-2014 03:24 PM

Sometimes I buy Cascade Ice mixers. They're intended for sugar free cocktails, so they're more intense than soda; you only need a small glass. They're all calorie free or nearly calorie free and are sweetened with sucralose (Splenda). They come in:

lemon drop
margarita
mojito
pina colada
cosmopolitan
apple-tini

I also like the diet tonic water of that brand because it's sweetened with sucralose. I find these in the liquor section of the supermarket.

(I'm not affiliated in any way. I just like them because they have no aspartame and they taste good.)

Librarygirl 01-09-2014 03:34 PM

Good idea, Allison! I'll look for it, although our supermarkets don't sell liquor. They do sell the mixers though!

sorenkkg 01-09-2014 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonm (Post 16749924)
Sometimes I buy Cascade Ice mixers. They're intended for sugar free cocktails, so they're more intense than soda; you only need a small glass. They're all calorie free or nearly calorie free and are sweetened with sucralose (Splenda). They come in:

lemon drop
margarita
mojito
pina colada
cosmopolitan
apple-tini

I also like the diet tonic water of that brand because it's sweetened with sucralose. I find these in the liquor section of the supermarket.

(I'm not affiliated in any way. I just like them because they have no aspartame and they taste good.)

:doh: I have stuff like this in the basement, waiting for some party that never comes!

I'll bring them up and make my fizzy water using these!

the soda stream people also make flavors that are partially sugar free (a weird combo of sugar and SF stuff?) in mojito, gin and tonic... they're alcohol free, but taste like the booze is already in there, flavor-wise. So you can add or not add. Interesting eh?

Did I mention I realized I could make my super gingery Super Ginger tea, and then fizz it, and have great SF gingerale?

This thread is very inspiring!
;)S.