Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   I'm Coming Back (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/820153-im-coming-back.html)

Kaos0100 01-02-2014 11:10 AM

I'm Coming Back

Don't know if any of you remember me, but I started JUDDD on 6/25/12 and went on to lose about 60 pounds. All of the sudden, my losses came to a grinding halt. Nothing I did made any difference. More calories, less calories, etc., etc. Finally in August, I just quit. I couldn't take it any more. I was so frustrated and it seemed hopeless. Nothing I was doing was working. Well naturally, I've gained weight since then. Funny, I could work my behind off to lose and accomplish nothing, but how dang easy was it to gain???

Anyway, next Monday, I'm starting over. I'm hoping this time isn't as frustrating as the last. I've been debating for several weeks on whether to return to this way of eating, or go back to low carb, or weight watchers or whatever. I'm going to try JUDDD again. However, I'm considering keeping low carb some of time. But I don't think that will work very well on DD's...low carb foods typically are NOT low calorie.

Seabreezes 01-02-2014 11:17 AM

Welcome back.

I don't know if you have followed any of the 5:2 plan put out by dr. Mosley, but he stated that if staying at 500 calories were too hard at first to make sure you only eat low carb. That might help you get started.

Good Luck!

LoCarbGal 01-02-2014 11:21 AM

:welcome: back Karen! I'm so glad to see you back. I remember how much frustration you were having before. I'm sure you won't have the same experience this time. Since you've been off this plan, and all plans really, the weight should start moving pretty quickly. I sure hope so!

Leo41 01-02-2014 11:43 AM

Two comments, Karen, and I hope my experience provides some insight for you.

Dr. Atkins (and since then others) believed that those of us who get very obese typically have metabolic dysfunctions that make low carb necessary rather than optional. Personally, I will begin to gain at anything above 20g carbs. So you may find that low carb is necessary for loss--even on JUDDD. I did.

Secondly, low-carb foods are NOT high calorie, unless you choose to make them caloric. My DDs are about 350 cal and 0 carbs. I eat egg whites and fish mostly, focusing on protein to insure that my losses are fat rather than lean body mass (muscles) as much as possible.

Personally, I could never have managed the caloric restriction necessary for my weight loss (and maintenance) without eating very low carb.

Kaos0100 01-02-2014 11:45 AM

Obviously the type of low carb foods you choose make a difference in how many calories you consume.

gotsomeold 01-02-2014 12:22 PM

Hey Karen! I do remember the extreme frustration and the adorable doggie.

Welcome back! You take a deep breath and start over. And we will believe this time your weight loss will be steady and sure to the finish line!!!

Eieio 01-02-2014 12:30 PM

Welcome
I've been back myself for a month.
Love it, gives me strength to know Juddd is near:) I got IT!
U can get it too!

windygap 01-02-2014 12:34 PM

Welcome back!!! Hope all goes well this time.

JMBM 01-02-2014 12:42 PM

:welcome: back!

Kissa 01-02-2014 12:56 PM

Lovely to see you back Karen. I am sure it will go well for you this time.

calichris 01-02-2014 01:09 PM

Hi Karen! I'm jumping in again too. A break may have just been the thing your mind and body needed to get a fresh start again. :welcome: back.

sloppail 01-02-2014 01:14 PM

:welcome: back Karen :) I'm returning also...

Kim

Librarygirl 01-02-2014 03:02 PM

Welcome back, Karen! I'm getting more serious this month too, so I can get the other 35 lbs off! ;) We can do it!

kel7298 01-02-2014 03:09 PM

Raising my hand as well. Never completely stopped just wasn't consistent. I am going to try a different approach. DD's will be low carb high protein. Welcome back everyone!

Kissa 01-02-2014 03:39 PM

Yay, now Kelly is back. SO many returners. :)

Carly 01-02-2014 03:48 PM

:welcome: back Karen and Kelly.
Karen I remember how frustrated you were. I sue hope this time is the charm :aprayer:

oceania 01-02-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaos0100 (Post 16738634)
But I don't think that will work very well on DD's...low carb foods typically are NOT low calorie.

Really? I find that I can only do DDs low carb because carbs are often higher in cals. I eat fish, sardines, tuna fish, chicken and eggs - all healthy, natural, high protein, low cal options + low carb veggies. Shrimps and smoked salmon are other options but I usually stick to the others.

I decided that when/if I stall, I will then do low carb on UD just to switch things up a bit, if I do it early on in the game, then I don't have that option later on to try something new.

Good luck this time around, even if you get to a point where you're not losing still stick to it so you can maintain the weight until you figure something that works.

Familyvet 01-02-2014 08:22 PM

It is harder to do low carb DD because of the higher calorie low carb food. I often try to do low carb DD's though because I find that I am not as hungry. Sometimes it helps me to go as long as possible with coffee with HWC and then in the afternoon have a small meal. Two meals that work well for me are turkey spaghetti with low sugar spaghetti sauce and Shiritake noodles or the cabbage and laughing cow dish posted here by someone else. Raw veggies with a tiny amount of ranch and pickles or pickled okra help too.

Welcome back! You've got this!

itsmeshelly01 01-03-2014 03:47 AM

Welcome back. I have come back to from not being on JUDDD for a couple of years. I started back in December, not a good month to start with all of the food everywhere. I lost and then gained so I'm hoping for a good January.

I have been finding that eating lowcarb on DD's I don't get near as hungry. A homemade protein shake, tuna, egg with mustard, maybe an apple.

You can do this!!!

Joyjoy 01-03-2014 06:08 AM

Lovely to see you, Karen. All the best with early days. I think returning to juddd is a gentler thing than starting it for the first time. :):heart:

Kaos0100 01-03-2014 09:04 AM

Does anyone have the cabbage and laughing cow recipe? I've read the entire thread and can't find what the original poster was supposedly putting in it. Thanks

Librarygirl 01-03-2014 09:55 AM

Hey Kaos. People do it differently, but I like the angel-hair coleslaw that's prepackaged at the supermarket (or you could shred cabbage), sauteed in a little chicken broth. Smash a wedge of LC cheese in the pan with the cabbage and add garlic powder, salt and pepper, or whatever seasonings you like. I then add about 3 oz of chicken, and you can add whatever meat you prefer. Hope that helps! I also sometimes add a little chopped onion to the cabbage. :)

Kaos0100 01-03-2014 10:26 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I just pray that this time I am successful. Last time, I lost a good bit of weight and then it just stopped and nothing I did worked.

Yam-Yam 01-04-2014 07:10 PM

Hi Karen! :welcome: to you and to me, too! I came back on December 20th, not too long ago.

Life got in my way and I've gained back a bunch of what I lost. I don't want to change my stats yet and may not even post them when I finally decide. It's just too discouraging for me to look at my stats on top of knowing I'm carrying around those extra pounds I worked sooooooo hard to lose.

Good news is I'm already losing again, so this WOE obviously agrees with me.

I'm another person who finds that lean protein makes me un-hungry.

Today was a DD for me and at the movies, I warded off the evil popcorn by bringing along some leftover lean beef from my fridge (wrapped in foil to keep it cold). I chopped up some fresh green peppers and celery and was absolutely delighted to find that was an appetite killer.

Now I'm drinking ice water with the juice of one fresh lemon squeezed in and it's keeping me from feeling hungry as well.

I don't know if I can always do low or no carb DDs. I'm just taking it one day at a time.

When I get in lots of lean protein on my UDs it keeps me from going over the top so I'm going to stock up on some frozen wild Salmon when I get a chance and use up the frozen Tilapia fillets I have as well as some lean sirloin steaks.

I'm reading all the current ADF and EOD books people are talking about to get myself re-motivated. One think I love and started a thread about is the idea that this WOE is flexible so there is no failing if you just do it in some fashion.

Some JUDDers have reminded me that there is quite a range for caloric intake on DDs. Anywhere from 20% to 50% where you are still in WLM and studies show the rescue gene, SIRT1 is still being activated.

So, while I would love to be as close to 0% as possible on DDs, I know it's not always possible. I won't allow myself to say I have "failed" on a DD if I had planned to stay under my 400 calorie allowance and I ended up with 800 or more for some reason.

I will just call those high DDs or call it a MD and move on. I'll focus on drinking water constantly, sometimes with lemon or ACV in it. And, I've started taking ptersbiltene after reading the thread about that. I started out just taking 50 mgs but after Cindy and others recommended 150 I'm bumping it up. I'm hoping that will also help to activate sirtuins.

I've started walking 2 or 3 times a week and I plan to increase that and eventually go back to the gym for strength training, swimming and more cardio workouts.

Baby steps though! Rome was not built in a day, as they say.

I'm here for you! So are all the other JUDD Budds. If we stick together and support each other, 2014 will be an awesome and successful year.

Hugs!:hugs: and best wishes for our success!!!!!:jumpjoy:

mirtilla 01-05-2014 12:42 AM

Hi, I'm returning also...2013 was difficult for me...but...2014 will be MY year,for my health,for my weight loss,for me as a good wife,mother,sister,friend and coworker!!I used to love Juddd....

sterlinggirl 01-05-2014 05:38 AM

looks like I am coming back too.. for me I have 4 pounds of water weight I have gained from the holidays and what I want is to be less than where my goal was. I thought 165 would be so great till I got there.. now the elusive number of 155 seams not possible.. so for now.. this years goal is to see 160 and that should be attainable seeing as it is my 1 years goal.. so hear we go.. DD today.. been a long long time since ive done one of those! :) Welcome back to all of those returning like my self and best of luck on this years journey~