Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Need Exercise Advice! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/819883-need-exercise-advice.html)

Slimming-up 01-01-2014 08:01 AM

Need Exercise Advice!

So I've reached my initial goal of 145, but I'm far from satisfied with my looks.
I'm not sure if I'm dealing with mostly loose skin, or flab, but something needs attention.

I don't know the best approach though. I need to tone up, and I need to be more physically fit.

The easiest thing for me to do would be to walk - it's been my preferred exercise in the past, but right now I'm pretty sure I need more than that.

So I'm asking for some advice on the best way to tackle this flabbiness.

I probably should have incorporated some sort of toning exercises into my weight loss plan from the beginning, but it was all I could do to keep myself focused on the weight loss side of things...

Any help would be appreciated!

SlowSure 01-01-2014 08:38 AM

I can't link to it but there is a site that offers free workout programmes and a very good selection of well-graded challenges (30-90 days) that cover beginner/novice/intermediate/advanced in what looks like a commonsensical way: Hasfit.

The programmes cover walking, minimal equipment (or no equipment), and the more advanced covers basic equipment. They have general fitness programmes, toning and even HIT workouts.

I've liked what I've seen of the workout videos they have on the site and they offer sensible schedules and advice for working your way up fitness levels or recovering from injury.

Librarygirl 01-01-2014 09:00 AM

Good idea, and one I want to incorporate as well. It's so cliche to start a workout program in Jan., but hopefully it will last beyond that. ;)

Thanks for the info, Slow. :)

handbells 01-01-2014 10:04 AM

Slow, would you mind pming the site to me please? I would appreciate it!

sorenkkg 01-01-2014 10:11 AM

Interesting!

Cindy, who cares if it's cliche! I'm doing it too. Takes 3 weeks they say for a new habit... I'm going to start soon, but since I'm still hocking up a lung, I want to be cautious.

Will look for this info, as well as dig out my walking DVDs.

oceania 01-01-2014 06:47 PM

Most of us will never be happy or satisfied with the way we look - I think that's the real battle. We have to learn to appreciate and love ourselves unconditionally.

I'm guessing you haven't done any exercise before? If yes, I would start off slow and build it up, don't go all gung-ho at once otherwise you may encounter injury. Walking is a good starting point but really it's not that effective but if that's all you can do, definitely do it. Both cardio and weight training is important but if you can only do one or the other, you really need to incorporate weight-training if you want to tone, don't expect it over night it will take a few months to start seeing it. However, if you still have a layer of fat on top muscles, you won't see much. Also include stretching. I would also suggest pilates or yoga. You also have to stick with a good diet, if you revert back to your old ways, the weight will return.

Hope this helps...good luck!

Planelman 01-01-2014 07:04 PM

If you lost most of your weight through diet alone with minimal exercise then you probably lost a considerable amount of muscle with the fat. You should check your body fat % to see where it is at and then start lifting some heavy weights 3 times a week. While you are building muscle you will be burning fat. Recheck your body fat % after a couple of months to see how you are progressing. Make sure you are eating enough protein to support muscle growth and lift enough weight to actually challenge yourself. Rep ranges of 8-12, 3 sets each exercise, when 12 is too easy increase the weights. Or find a lifting program you like.

Slimming-up 01-02-2014 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16736658)
I can't link to it but there is a site that offers free workout programmes and a very good selection of well-graded challenges (30-90 days) that cover beginner/novice/intermediate/advanced in what looks like a commonsensical way: Hasfit.

The programmes cover walking, minimal equipment (or no equipment), and the more advanced covers basic equipment. They have general fitness programmes, toning and even HIT workouts.

I've liked what I've seen of the workout videos they have on the site and they offer sensible schedules and advice for working your way up fitness levels or recovering from injury.

Thank you for this site! It looks promising. I'm going to look into the 30 day challenge to get in shape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16736695)
Good idea, and one I want to incorporate as well. It's so cliche to start a workout program in Jan., but hopefully it will last beyond that. ;)

Thanks for the info, Slow. :)

Yes - the timing does seem to fall into the NY craze - but for me, it just so happened to work out that way! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceania (Post 16737650)
Most of us will never be happy or satisfied with the way we look - I think that's the real battle. We have to learn to appreciate and love ourselves unconditionally.

I'm guessing you haven't done any exercise before? If yes, I would start off slow and build it up, don't go all gung-ho at once otherwise you may encounter injury. Walking is a good starting point but really it's not that effective but if that's all you can do, definitely do it. Both cardio and weight training is important but if you can only do one or the other, you really need to incorporate weight-training if you want to tone, don't expect it over night it will take a few months to start seeing it. However, if you still have a layer of fat on top muscles, you won't see much. Also include stretching. I would also suggest pilates or yoga. You also have to stick with a good diet, if you revert back to your old ways, the weight will return.

Hope this helps...good luck!

It's been over 10 years since I exercised regularly...:o
We do have a Y membership that has gone to waste for too long (on my part anyway - dh uses it)
So thanks for the thoughts on types of exercise - I need to get reoriented to the weight machines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planelman (Post 16737702)
If you lost most of your weight through diet alone with minimal exercise then you probably lost a considerable amount of muscle with the fat. You should check your body fat % to see where it is at and then start lifting some heavy weights 3 times a week. While you are building muscle you will be burning fat. Recheck your body fat % after a couple of months to see how you are progressing. Make sure you are eating enough protein to support muscle growth and lift enough weight to actually challenge yourself. Rep ranges of 8-12, 3 sets each exercise, when 12 is too easy increase the weights. Or find a lifting program you like.

I wish, wish, wish, I'd checked bodyfat before starting this. I really don't think I expected to be this successful with JUDDD, and the weight just fell off before I really thought about the big picture.
I'm not a big protein eater, so that's a big area for improvement.
All this is very helpful and I'm looking forward to some good results!

kel7298 01-02-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planelman (Post 16737702)
start lifting some heavy weights 3 times a week. While you are building muscle you will be burning fat. Recheck your body fat % after a couple of months to see how you are progressing. Make sure you are eating enough protein to support muscle growth and lift enough weight to actually challenge yourself. Rep ranges of 8-12, 3 sets each exercise, when 12 is too easy increase the weights. Or find a lifting program you like.

I can't agree with this more. If you want to change your body composition, strength training is the key.