Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #241
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Soren, I was a manager for a few years too, and I would not want to do it again lol. The woman who is my boss now used to be my co-worker years ago, and left for another job for over 10 years. Now she's back as my supervisor--a job I helped her get--as I was on the board evaluating the job candidates...but I believe she has a bit of resentment toward me, because for one thing, my salary is higher than hers. That's the main reason I didn't try to get HER job--no raise, and all the hassle.

Mary Ellen, you are a special person. I love that you adopt at-risk dogs, and I can tell that you are a wonderful mother to them.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Wow. No good deed goes unpunished, huh? You help her get her job and now she's snarky towards you?
I guess I'd stop putting so much effort into sorting the purchases. If you're called to task for it, you can say that you were trying to sort it but were told it wasn't appropriate use of your work time - to try to reverse inappropriate charges on your work account. So, please tell me what you would like me to do?
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #243
Big Yapper!!!!

Good one, Yennie. She doesn't actually know that I swayed some others to vote for her as the candidate for the job. You don't know how much I wanted to tell her that there were more than a few people who wouldn't have stood up for her.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I'm sure its totally inappropriate to tell her that. But my goodness I think I'd be SO, SO tempted! Honestly though, she sounds like she'd be the type who would use that to resent you even more.
Of course, I'm probably not the best one to take advice from. Part of the reason I don't work in academia anymore was a lack of ability to play the game. The place I work now is most HR/Politically correct police's worst nightmare. I have a friend who was worried for a bit she might be fired for calling a co-worker a name that rhymes with "ditch" and not to her face, behind her back but was maybe overheard by another employee. Anyway, I told her if that was firing criteria, none of us would last an hour at my job.
But, I figure, since on any given day I can be pooped on, peed on, bit, scratched or generally maimed, I'm allowed to drop some R-rated language on occasion. And that's just the owners...never mind the pets

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #245
Big Yapper!!!!

You're really lucky to be doing the job that you love. I don't really know what I want to do after retirement (eligible in 2.5 years), because I can't see leaving my job before then, but I know I've always wanted to write a book. I'll have plenty of time. I think I'll make my characters cuss like sailors.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Soren - When I was working at a school that had a preschool, I noticed they ran their sponges through the dishwasher, so now I have two sets that I rotate and it works marvelously.

Goner - Another idea for a maintenance break from Dr. Johnson's new book is eating in an 8 hour window for 3 weeks (up to 3 weeks might be what he said). I've never tried it, but thought I'd mention it just in case. Also, one of my best losing months since I've been on JUDDD was when I upped my DD calories to about 700, and Beeb lost bunches at 700 calorie down days, so you never know. I think if you're feeling burned out it's definitely worth a try.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryEllenC View Post
Thanks so much! I am a sucker for the mill dogs.....this is the third rescue I've had that came from that situation. As much as the mill dogs tug at my heart, they can be very tiring and sometimes take forever to come around to you, other people, living in a home, and things/surroundings (and some never make a real adjustment at all). I've had Annie for 4 years and she will never be a lap dog like my other Maltese. Sometimes if you just look in her direction and try to talk to her she moves away and won't engage. She grew up with little human interaction and when there was it was negative and abusive. Things that freak my other dogs out, like thunder or lightning, don't phase her at all, but yet things like walking on grass or trying to take her for a walk beyond our driveway send her into a panic. Every once in awhile she will come up to you and seek affection. Not very often but when it happens my heart just beams because I know what a huge step and amount of trust it is for her to do that.
i am absolutely appalled by how some animals are mistreated. it literally breaks my heart and brings me to tears. lately my FB page has been full of rescue stories, and while i am SO happy that they are rescued, the abuse they suffered.... well, i just can't stand it sometimes. i can imagine when your little one turns to you for love that you just melt. healing is going on there, no doubt about it.
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Holy cow Cindy, I can't believe you can retire so soon! You look soooooo young! And that's still a young age to retire at. My mind is blown. Poof.

MaryEllen- I know what you mean. I get a few Greyhound rescue posts on my fb feed, even just those who haven't been adopted, and all I want is a big farm where I can have like, 10 at all times.
Reality is I had my hands full with 2, and now 1.
But a girl can dream, right? Maybe I'll look into volunteering...

Who knew sponges were such a hot topic?!?

Cindy, I'll be bouncing with you... I'm just not going to look, and rock the DD tomorrow!

Question: I have cleaners come every 2 weeks. Its a family business. Due to some drama with the niece who was running things, the owners are back cleaning.
They have a 3yr old, and have had to bring her over with them. Once in the fall (hey! Go outside and play with Haka) and again today.

I'm mildly annoyed. I'm not a babysitter, and I kinda don't want a stranger's kid here... But I understand childcare issues and emergencies, and I really need them to come and go from here on time.

I don't think I can say anything... And I haven't a clue how to go about it if I did. They are very friendly people, they run a ministry, and the wif has blessed the renovation, my new car, as well as me and DH in the last few weeks (that is a discussion in and of itself... Today, she told me she had a vision of me with a baby boy... And kept at it for a good 20 min or so... )

Feel free to comment. My life is a little weird like that. You should've seen us outside blessing the car last month.

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Once I did some strict rotations (strangely, about the 2 weeks that Dr J says we need) the Sirts started flowing again, and they have held me in good stead for the past holiday month. When I say good rotations I don't mean especially low DDs necessarily. But I do mean counted UDs, as often as possible. Cos, no matter what anyone says about it being unimportant to count them, if we had 'normal' appetites why would we be here in the first place?

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture, but it just seemed the time...
Cindy - I definitely always listen with interest to what you have to say and value your successful experience and thoughts. And I agree that sometimes we just need to tighten up, period.

I'm just wondering about the up day vs. down day thing. It's the down days that activate the SIRTs, right? Dr. Johnson said in the new book that "if you stop losing weight, 98% of the time it is because you are taking in too many calories on the down days." Interesting, isn't it? I would have thought the up days. Maybe Dr. Johnson isn't even right about that ... we don't have to agree with him, but having just read Varady's and Johnson's books, I'm open to the possibility.

You have a great point that most of us woudn't need to lose weight in the first place if we had eaten just our "normal" maintenance calories, but we also didn't gain our weight while eating 500 calories on alternate days, either. In theory, if you need 2000 calories to maintain your weight (just as an easy figure and close to what many of us have), and you ate a strict 500 calories every other day, you'd have to eat 3,500 calories every up day to maintain. I could do that on a UUAD, but I don't think I'd do it every up day even if I didn't count. Krista Varady says in her studies, people were not doing that ... not even close. They were only eating 110% of their UD calories, or for our hypothetical 2000 calorie maintenance person, 2200.

So is it our up days or our down days that can be the issue? Or both?

I was convinced to experiment. It may not work, and if it doesn't I can correct course, but if it does I'll be very happy. I'm experimenting now with only counting one up day a week with strict 500 calorie down days... so I'll be a test case to see if it works for me.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I haven’t counted at all yet, apart from one DD, just to get a rough idea of what I was doing. (That’s why I never say I’m doing JUDDD — because I don’t follow any of the rules apart from alternating up and down days.) I’ll start counting if I absolutely have to, but I don’t want to live my life weighing and measuring every mouthful. I’ve done it before and burnt out.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:32 AM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/106/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Soren - When I was working at a school that had a preschool, I noticed they ran their sponges through the dishwasher, so now I have two sets that I rotate and it works marvelously.
I do this too, but I microwave the sponges every day tho' I don't run the dishwasher every day. I wipe out bowls/utensils etc. that have been in contact with raw meat, fish or eggs with paper towels and after washing them with a sponge, I microwave the sponge to sterilise it. So, yes, I'll sometimes do that several times if I'm cleaning up from a cooking session.

I will confess that I run our toothbrush heads and nail brushes through the dishwasher.

On the topic of household confessions, I use the steam cleaner to clean the vacuum cleaner's heads and tubes and other appliances. (Yes, it's true, particularly if you have animals, your vacuum cleaner is contaminated with salmonella and other icky bugs.)

I use the steam cleaner and pressure cleaner to keep the washing machine free of slime mould, and the same for the sink drains.

Couldn't manage without my steam cleaners and pressure cleaner. My last confession on this - I want one of the industrial combined steam and pressure cleaners (the domestic ones have negligible pressure but the industrial ones have decent bar ratings and can even degrease an engine and the steam is much more effective like this).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:20 AM   #252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/106/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Cindy - I definitely always listen with interest to what you have to say and value your successful experience and thoughts. And I agree that sometimes we just need to tighten up, period.
Ditto, strong agree about the importance of heeding Cindy's experience.

Quote:
Maybe Dr. Johnson isn't even right about that ... we don't have to agree with him, but having just read Varady's and Johnson's books, I'm open to the possibility.

You have a great point that most of us woudn't need to lose weight in the first place if we had eaten just our "normal" maintenance calories, but we also didn't gain our weight while eating 500 calories on alternate days, either. ...you'd have to eat 3,500 calories every up day to maintain... Krista Varady says in her studies, people were not doing that ... not even close. They were only eating 110% of their UD calories, or for our hypothetical 2000 calorie maintenance person, 2200.

I was convinced to experiment. It may not work, and if it doesn't I can correct course, but if it does I'll be very happy.
I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm not entirely happy with Dr Varady's published work and think that had several not been in pay-to-publish journals a decent set of referees would have insisted on some clarification on some useful points.

I know that she was working with small groups but I'm taken aback that so few of them reported the side-effects that are commonplace around here (the physiologic cold, constipation etc.) and that so many of the participants were good at complying. This last compliance point is a bug bear of trials and why findings there don't always translate into the Real World.

I've cut the remainder of this because it was turning into an essay: I've continued this over at CaliChris' The Alternate Day Diet Revisited!

My final point here is that I think personal experimentation is essential if this is to become part of the fabric of your life. It has to be a WOE that doesn't carry a burdensome cognitive or emotional load such as hypervigilance about every kcal choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
I don’t want to live my life weighing and measuring every mouthful. I’ve done it before and burnt out.
I'm rather hoping that this is where the JUDDD difference comes in. As long as maintainers continue to eat 'within bounds' (whatever that is for you), if they continue with some form of IF (EOD, 5:2 or switching depending on circumstances), then I wonder if we'll be able to report that hypervigilance is superfluous as the rotations and various gene activations are largely responsible for running that maintenance.

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-08-2014 at 04:29 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:42 AM   #253
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

I'm just wondering about the up day vs. down day thing. It's the down days that activate the SIRTs, right? Dr. Johnson said in the new book that "if you stop losing weight, 98% of the time it is because you are taking in too many calories on the down days." Interesting, isn't it? I would have thought the up days. Maybe Dr. Johnson isn't even right about that ... we don't have to agree with him, but having just read Varady's and Johnson's books, I'm open to the possibility.

You have a great point that most of us woudn't need to lose weight in the first place if we had eaten just our "normal" maintenance calories, but we also didn't gain our weight while eating 500 calories on alternate days, either. In theory, if you need 2000 calories to maintain your weight (just as an easy figure and close to what many of us have), and you ate a strict 500 calories every other day, you'd have to eat 3,500 calories every up day to maintain. I could do that on a UUAD, but I don't think I'd do it every up day even if I didn't count. Krista Varady says in her studies, people were not doing that ... not even close. They were only eating 110% of their UD calories, or for our hypothetical 2000 calorie maintenance person, 2200.

I was convinced to experiment. It may not work, and if it doesn't I can correct course, but if it does I'll be very happy. I'm experimenting now with only counting one up day a week with strict 500 calorie down days... so I'll be a test case to see if it works for me.
I do find that interesting. Very, but I also know that after a year of JUDDDing, I can eat way more than I could in the beginning on UDs. I can easily go over my UDs by a 1000 or more regularly, without even feeling overly full. I think that has been my issue with stopping losing, and I am trying to be mindful of UD calories now to see if it makes a difference. I have had some DDs that were over 500, but I'd say 80-90% of my DDs have been around 500 or a little less...That said, I'd rather count my UDs and have 360-500 calories on DDs than 0-200, with uncounted UDs. I think. Anyway, for now I'm counting on both days. I didn't come in at 1800 yesterday, which is my target, but I was around 2000.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #254
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:

I wasn't really suggesting that we shouldn't worry about our DD calories per se. My point was that too many UUADs will not serve us well. I do see many who struggle with losing being less that regular with the rotations, and having more UUAds than is sensible.

BUT, and yes it is a big but, UUADs are never 'sensible' and we never know when they are going to strike... I had one yesterday, and boy was it a biggie.

Started out with a simple plan, a croissant and coffee in the park then a homemade curry at home with a friend coming round to share it with us.

So far so good. Park visit went as planned except that they had run out of plain croissant so I had an almond one. Higher calories. Then while I was preparing the chicken curry I came across some cold meat in the fridge that needed using up. So I used it, straight into my mouth.

Friend arrived with a bottle of champagne. Well, of course, we drank it. (DH is only drinking 2 glasses of wine a day at present...so he is no help)

Then we eat, talk, drink, eat, rinse and repeat. Then out comes coffee and the chocolates we didn't open over Christmas... I don't even especially like chocolates, I prefer plain dark chocolate. But did that stop me? NO.

So there we have it, the classic UUAD. Yesterday's weight 126.6, this morning's weight 129.2.

I rest my case.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

Last edited by Kissa; 01-08-2014 at 06:46 AM..
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lemontini
Stats: 205/188/135 5'6" 49yrs
WOE: JUDDD/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 10/1/13
Had a really low UD yesterday, about 1000 cal. I was planning on dinner with the family (daughter was cooking) but took my very crabby grand daughter up to bed. Laid down to cuddle a bit with her and fell fast asleep! I'm blaming it on the glass of wine I had just drank, must've been powerful stuff, LOL.

Still going to shoot for a DD today, but will be easy on myself if it gets too hard.
Lemontini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lemontini
Stats: 205/188/135 5'6" 49yrs
WOE: JUDDD/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 10/1/13
Sounds like you had a lovely day Kissa!
Lemontini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #257

How nicely you sum it up Lemontini! Thank you or putting a kind turn on it. Yes I did have a lovely and that is the thought I must hold while suffering a mild hangover and facing my faults.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

here has been my experience. i know this is so personal for everyone, but i figured i would throw it out there since i was consciously tweeking.

1. DD's at 500 with strict counting of UD's - weight loss
2. DD's at 300 with strict counting of UD's - weight loss
3. DD's below 220 or liquid only and paid no heed to UD's - LOSS
4. DD's creeping up to 500 and paid no heed to UD's - maintained and gained.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Goner - Another idea for a maintenance break from Dr. Johnson's new book is eating in an 8 hour window for 3 weeks (up to 3 weeks might be what he said). I've never tried it, but thought I'd mention it just in case. Also, one of my best losing months since I've been on JUDDD was when I upped my DD calories to about 700, and Beeb lost bunches at 700 calorie down days, so you never know. I think if you're feeling burned out it's definitely worth a try.
I just got Dr. Johnson's new book this week, but was saving it to read in retirement (9 work days left). Thanks for that info. To be honest, I have stopped writing down my food every day and adding it up - as part of being burnt out - but if I want to know how more calories are working on a DD, I'd better get back to that. Again, Thanks.

AND now I've had time to read the rest of this thread - it's very interesting. When I began JUDDD and lost the majority of my 20+ pounds I had pretty strict 350 calorie DDs but often went over 200 - 400 calories on my UD. I'd say half the time. Then my DDs began to go higher about half the time - again 200 calories or so, while my UDs stayed over the 200-400 calories and I maintained.

Now I count nothing - since probably the week before Christmas - I'm worried I have lost my sirts as I am so hungry on DDs. People talk about the magic... is it the nonhunger on DDs? I've never seen a definition of what people mean?

Last edited by Goner; 01-08-2014 at 07:54 AM..
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #260
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
here has been my experience. i know this is so personal for everyone, but i figured i would throw it out there since i was consciously tweeking.

Yup. That's been my experience as well. Now to try numbers 1-3.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
I live in the PNW but work remotely for a company in Minnesota. Yesterday, I got a gift basket from them for a late Christmas gift (don't know if they were just late or there was a UPS holdup). I unloaded the basket last night and found I could eat almost none of it. Both of my boys and I have Celiac and have been gluten free for eight years. The basket was full of licorice (including chocolate covered licorice, which I had never heard of and sounds gross), chocolate covered pretzels and other gluten nightmares. The few things that don't have gluten are from the same company that made the other stuff and is likely contaminated.

I was disappointed at first (it was a DD and I was hungry) but decided after my mind cleared that this was great. I have had way too much junk lately and didn't need a new supply. I'll probably donate most of it to the food bank to get it out of the house (no gluten allowed in my house).
Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

As for the dog talk, I respect people that rescue dogs but it isn't for me. We have a 16 year old Australian Shepherd and while she has been a great dog, when she is gone, I think I am done with dogs. I have found that I am more of a cat person, I guess.

We do like that she warns us if anyone comes on the property but an alarm system does the same thing and doesn't require food, vet bills or boarding when we go out of town.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #263
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
I live in the PNW but work remotely for a company in Minnesota. Yesterday, I got a gift basket from them for a late Christmas gift (don't know if they were just late or there was a UPS holdup). I unloaded the basket last night and found I could eat almost none of it. Both of my boys and I have Celiac and have been gluten free for eight years. The basket was full of licorice (including chocolate covered licorice, which I had never heard of and sounds gross), chocolate covered pretzels and other gluten nightmares. The few things that don't have gluten are from the same company that made the other stuff and is likely contaminated.

I was disappointed at first (it was a DD and I was hungry) but decided after my mind cleared that this was great. I have had way too much junk lately and didn't need a new supply. I'll probably donate most of it to the food bank to get it out of the house (no gluten allowed in my house).
I can give you my address.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Long post, unless you like numbers, you might want to skip

Hey y'all...been lurking more, posting less, but trying to post more, if that makes any sense. Glad to see there has been such action on the daily chat thread, 'cause I know that by posting and helping and being helped by our JB's is why I lost so much and have been able to maintain on this wol.

Mafiamom, loved this:

It's a great explanation of how this plan works, thank you.

I'm one of those "actualists" that some psych-folks like to talk about. Which simply means I like keeping and looking at statistics. As such, I strongly believe in keeping lists and, of course, one of those is a food diary. I also believe the hype that those who lose weight do better by keeping a food diary. So that said, I went back through my calendar (yep I use one of those apps the moderators won't let us post about) and found a few interesting things. More on this in a bit.

As you may (or may not know) I started this wol in June 2012. I lost a bunch of weight until my eye surgery from h-e-double hockey sticks In November 2012 when I didn't give it up, but just relaxed my goals in order to reduce my stressess. (had lost 40 pounds in that time) Since that time I've kept to the woe, but not as strenuously and have maintained (actually losing a few more pounds) until October 2013 when I decided it was time to hop back on the hobby horse...losing a few pounds in October and November. But December was another relaxed time for me. (Maybe I'll explain why in another post.) Anyway, this month I'm trying to climb back on the horse and finally lose my next 30 pounds. (I was surprised to see that I had not gained during December, but ended the month at the same weight.)

So, what do the numbers from the food/weight log diary say...remember btw this is mostly without exercising). I know if I stuck to DD calories at or below 500, I lost weight, felt good and even felt the SIRTs. I usually do not break my fast before noon and have the bulk of my calories before 7 p.m. and CAN EAT WHAT I WANT AND LOSE WEIGHT.

My goal numbers were in the 1800/350 area, and you can see that if evened out, this comes to about 1050 calories between the two. During the months I lost the most weight my weekly averages were running right at 1000 calories per day. During the maintaining period (November 2012 - November 2013) my weekly averages ran about 1150, and I lost another 10 pounds during the year. We won't talk about the last couple of months.

In the beginning (June-November 2012) I was sticking pretty closely to my goal calories, which is when I lost the most weight. During the next phase, I was eating pretty much MD's and what should have been the UD's I was not meeting the goal of 1700, but keeping in the 1200-1500 calories range...basically eating at a low-calorie diet. But still keeping to a rotation of sorts.

So, you can extrapolate what you want from this...I'm saying the plan works if you stick to your goals, it will work if you slide either up or down a bit...But you have to find what works for you. We are all so different and this forum helps us to discover new things that will work for us. Keep on keeping on and helping each other, it's the way we get through the good and bad times.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I can give you my address.

Well, I wouldn't want to be a bad influence.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #266
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Great posts! This is just what I needed today, a discussion of the nitty-gritty.

Cindy: Thanks for being honest about your lovely day! That was great to read about. And your scale numbers, too.

I have not been weighing after UDs. But for some reason stepped on the scale this morning and it had bounced up 2 pounds from yesterday. I cannot believe how bummed and discouraged I was! Even though I know about bounces!

Yesterday's UD was awesome for me. I cooked, I baked, I had some wine. I enjoyed myself. But I still let the voices of doubt have their way this morning. They were telling me "maybe this won't work. Maybe nothing will work anymore."

so, after I read your post, I just said, "Stop it!" to the stupid voices!

I just finished reading Dr. J's new book yesterday and he says several times that weighing after an UD is never a good idea. What didn't I understand about that???

Slowsure: Thanks for your well done and thoughtful posts. I found them very encouraging.

My DH just interrupted me in the middle of writing this, so I can't remember everything I was going to say. I am going to go over to the other thread and read what you have to say there, too. But, I know you made me feel that the point of this WOE is to not have to scrutinize every little morsel and kcal we injest.

I do believe in the SIRT1 science and I choose to believe that the success of ADF is largely due to it.

I want to keep it simple. I'm losing quite well overall by keeping my DDs as low as I can, not beating myself up if I have an occasional higher DD than I planned, and enjoying my UDs so I don't feel deprived.

As long as I'm losing doing it the simple way, I'm going to keep doing it.

I don't even know if this post made sense! You all know me well enough to just skip through my ramblings if necessary!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Great posts! This is just what I needed today, a discussion of the nitty-gritty.

Cindy: Thanks for being honest about your lovely day! That was great to read about. And your scale numbers, too.

I have not been weighing after UDs. But for some reason stepped on the scale this morning and it had bounced up 2 pounds from yesterday. I cannot believe how bummed and discouraged I was! Even though I know about bounces!

Yesterday's UD was awesome for me. I cooked, I baked, I had some wine. I enjoyed myself. But I still let the voices of doubt have their way this morning. They were telling me "maybe this won't work. Maybe nothing will work anymore."

so, after I read your post, I just said, "Stop it!" to the stupid voices!

I just finished reading Dr. J's new book yesterday and he says several times that weighing after an UD is never a good idea. What didn't I understand about that???

Slowsure: Thanks for your well done and thoughtful posts. I found them very encouraging.

My DH just interrupted me in the middle of writing this, so I can't remember everything I was going to say. I am going to go over to the other thread and read what you have to say there, too. But, I know you made me feel that the point of this WOE is to not have to scrutinize every little morsel and kcal we injest.

I do believe in the SIRT1 science and I choose to believe that the success of ADF is largely due to it.

I want to keep it simple. I'm losing quite well overall by keeping my DDs as low as I can, not beating myself up if I have an occasional higher DD than I planned, and enjoying my UDs so I don't feel deprived.

As long as I'm losing doing it the simple way, I'm going to keep doing it.

I don't even know if this post made sense! You all know me well enough to just skip through my ramblings if necessary!
You are welcome Yamster, I think honesty is the best way to share the true JUDDD experience. No point in pretending it is a doddle all the time. We all slip up sometimes and we pay the price, but I am looking forward to tomorrow's weigh in, knowing it has to be better that todays.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #268
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Yam, I loved your post. That is what's great here, we can share whatever we're thinking at the moment. If folks don't want to read it they can skip over, but I always learn a lot, or at least feel very validated in my own feelings by seeing that I'm not alone.

Cindy, I'm in complete agreement. Mostly my days are pretty good, but I don't want to hide it when I'm struggling. I should say, my inclination is to hide it, but I want to avoid that, because I know it might help someone else if I let it out. I sure have been helped by reading others struggles.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #269

Precisely, it is too easy to only reveal the successes. We all need to share the ups and downs.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

i agree. both failures and successes shared are what keep me motivated! plus, we are all human, so if you aren't having some bad days thrown in... well, you're just a liar