Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lemontini
Stats: 205/188/135 5'6" 49yrs
WOE: JUDDD/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 10/1/13
My DD yesterday was a bust too LG, I'm sure tomorrow will be better!
Lemontini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
they "think" the high temp of Monday will be 15 below zero!
Has anyone ever tried any of those colon things? ...I seem to have big time constipation troubles...no action in the smallest room of the house either
Yikes and commiserations both for the temperature and the constipation.

If you don't have any other gut problems, and you're sure that the constipation is related to the reduced volume of food (rather than something that you really ought to consult your HCP about - particularly if there are any other symptoms) then the advice tends to run along:
flaxmeal/linseed (in natural state or baked into pancakes/muffins) and water;
similarly, psyllium husk (cooked into something or stirred into water) and more water;
konjac/glucomannan and water;
supplement some magnesium (you can't absorb some supplements that well so it tends to 'move things along');
a small portion of baked or boiled onion (if you're sensitive to it).
Some people have found it beneficial to add in a probiotic or prebiotic. One other option is to add a little resistant starch to your diet (you choose something that you largely can't digest, hence, resistant). One popular, cheap form is Bob Red Mill's Unmodified Potato Starch (start off with a tsp, x2 a day and work up if necessary): this can have a beneficial effect on your gut micro biome (there's some reasonable research on this) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planelman View Post
How do you ruin bulletproof coffee? Use the same measuring spoon your daughter used to measure sesame oil!
Gak Oddly, with all of the fancy flavourings that one sees for coffee, sesame isn't one of them and I think there's a jolly good reason why it doesn't have even a tiny market niche.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Oddly, Mike, there seems to be a recipe for that coffee. And I (kindly) dispelled your theory, Slow. However, it may be a very small niche.

Open Sesame Coffee Recipe - Bulletproof Recipes - Bulletproof Forum
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
. I'm very interested in this quality of life checklist of your vet's.
Thank you everyone for sending your It helps to be able to talk about it. I'm talking about it with DH of course too, both to get him used to the idea (he is very close with Haka... I'm the evil mommy who gives ear drops and whatnot, he's the fun daddy who does walkies! ).

Carol, I scanned the blank copy she gave me to PDF. I can put it on Facebook for you (somehow...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post

I never even thought about fat babies being sort of a sign of a family's status. Something to thing about! My own mother sure showed her love by over feeding us. And, oh my, every time a baby was born into our family (and there were/are LOTS and LOTS) the fatter they were the more everyone oogled and ooooo'd and awwwwwwwwed over them!
Ok, so, it's not just babies. One time, I was doing a training at a military college (like, for military leaders, not kids) in PA.
I was in the cafeteria, and there were these 2 men, I'm thinking from somewhere in Africa based on their accents... and I'm low carbing, so I got a big salad, and some strawberries, and I walk by them (we're talking white uniforms with epaulettes and lots of military ribbons... total cliché but there it was)...

AND THEY SAY TO ME-- strawberries? why are you on a diet? In our country, you would be a coveted wife.

OMG, right? Happened another time, with a different guy (at a butcher-- he squeezed my arm and said something along the same lines. I'm like, hey, get off my arm).

SO-- fat babies are not the only status symbol! I always KNEW I was in the wrong...um... continent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I have had one of the first days when I had to eat something more to reach my UD calories. I was 300 under my paltry 1400. But there, in the pantry, was the last piece of chocolate chip Panettone....... sorted.
I love the resourcefulness of the JBs. I also love panettone (I make mine into French toast, but could just eat it with butter).

Quote:

Has anyone ever tried any of those colon things? You know the kind all the drug stores sell and that are in every sale bill that wants to sell vitamins, etc. I seem to have big time constipation troubles, I tried benefiber, but Tummy is sticking out way too much and no action in the smallest room of the house either
When I first first went on Low Carb, omg, bad constipation. I resorted to fiber pills (and a lot of water)... worked eventually, and non-explosively, which is key.

I discovered flaxseed, and never had the problem again. Just a spoon of fresh ground flaxseed every day or so (I'd work it into a microwave muffin or whatever) and "good to go" LOL

My mom's dried fruit compote is good for staying regular too Let me know, I'll get the recipe (it's great over yogurt or ice cream!)

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #125
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Has anyone ever tried any of those colon things? You know the kind all the drug stores sell and that are in every sale bill that wants to sell vitamins, etc. I seem to have big time constipation troubles, I tried benefiber, but Tummy is sticking out way too much and no action in the smallest room of the house either
Oh, I've suffered from that all too often since JUDDDing. I think I can easily lose 5 pounds when things get "moving" again. No help here, just sympathy!

Quote:
How do you ruin bulletproof coffee? Use the same measuring spoon your daughter used to measure sesame oil! Ugh!! Not good! Amazing how a little sesame oil adds so much flavor, especially when not wanted!
Blech! I love sesame oil......but not in coffee. How many gasps and spits did it take to get rid of that taste/feel? I repeat, blech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Today's DD was a bust. I feel a little bit bad about it, and kind of overwhelmed when I think about all the months I've not made any progress. Seems like it didn't hit me until I started investigating lol. <<just venting>>
Ah Cindy, maybe you're not quite ready to hit it full force after the holidays. I kept putting off DDs until I just decided to roll with it until after the first of the year, and it felt great. You'll be ready soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Thank you everyone for sending your It helps to be able to talk about it. I'm talking about it with DH of course too, both to get him used to the idea (he is very close with Haka... I'm the evil mommy who gives ear drops and whatnot, he's the fun daddy who does walkies! ).

Carol, I scanned the blank copy she gave me to PDF. I can put it on Facebook for you (somehow...)
That would be great.

Quote:
Ok, so, it's not just babies. One time, I was doing a training at a military college (like, for military leaders, not kids) in PA.
I was in the cafeteria, and there were these 2 men, I'm thinking from somewhere in Africa based on their accents... and I'm low carbing, so I got a big salad, and some strawberries, and I walk by them (we're talking white uniforms with epaulettes and lots of military ribbons... total cliché but there it was)...

AND THEY SAY TO ME-- strawberries? why are you on a diet? In our country, you would be a coveted wife.

OMG, right? Happened another time, with a different guy (at a butcher-- he squeezed my arm and said something along the same lines. I'm like, hey, get off my arm).

SO-- fat babies are not the only status symbol! I always KNEW I was in the wrong...um... continent!
Wow - having your arm squeezed by a stranger is weird enough, but in his country, I'm guessing that was like pinching your bottom. Ew creepy!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Quote:
Oddly, Mike, there seems to be a recipe for that coffee. And I (kindly) dispelled your theory, Slow. However, it may be a very small niche.

Open Sesame Coffee Recipe - Bulletproof Recipes - Bulletproof Forum
The author of that recipe came back looking for opinions and feed back from anyone trying it and received none, except criticism about some of the ingredients not being ideal from a "bulletproof" diet perspective. If there is a niche is it extremely small, maybe 1 guy!

I love sesame, but to get it unexpectedly in my coffee was not a good thing. I actually tried to get past it and couldn't and dumped the rest.
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last year, we paddled some of the footpaths and bridleways that were under water. This year, it's hard to tell where the river perimeters should be and where they overflow into banks, fields, moorings.

I've never been out in such high volume, turbulent water. It was exhilarating (and, because we were out with a group, it wasn't as risky as it might sound) but if this rain keeps up, I genuinely don't know what's going to happen to crops and foodstuffs because the fields are completely underwater.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:14 AM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
The author of that recipe came back looking for opinions and feed back from anyone trying it and received none, except criticism about some of the ingredients not being ideal from a "bulletproof" diet perspective. If there is a niche is it extremely small, maybe 1 guy!
I saw his somewhat plaintive request to learn if anyone had even tried it.

No. And there's a reason for that...
Old 01-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lemontini
Stats: 205/188/135 5'6" 49yrs
WOE: JUDDD/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 10/1/13
LOL @ Soren being born on the wrong continent! I've always thought I was born in the wrong time period, judging by all of those plump ladies in renaissance paintings.

Had a very good weigh-in this morning so that got my day off to a good start. Spending the day with my younger daughter before she heads back to college in the morning. Going to see a movie (the second Hobbit), have lunch out at Red Lobster (got a gift card for Xmas, woot!) and then spend the rest of our holiday gift cards and $$ at the mall.
Lemontini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
i am sick of snow. sick of the cold and can't wait to be able to go and do something outdoors. winter is long here in PA. ugh.
Me, too! Our apartment is even freezing
I would love to be outside enjoying a long walk (where it is in the 70's not the teens)

Quote:
How do you ruin bulletproof coffee? Use the same measuring spoon your daughter used to measure sesame oil! Ugh!! Not good! Amazing how a little sesame oil adds so much flavor, especially when not wanted!
I love sesame oil, but definitely not in coffee. I can't even stand CO in coffee. Yes, a little goes a long way, which can be good on a DD if you want to add half a tsp to a recipe. Lots of flavor- lower calories.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #131
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

I love sesame, but to get it unexpectedly in my coffee was not a good thing. I actually tried to get past it and couldn't and dumped the rest.
He was probably trying to use what was in his pantry rather than buying coconut oil. I'll admit, I didn't read the replies, nor the ingredients except the title, lol.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #132
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Ah Cindy, maybe you're not quite ready to hit it full force after the holidays. I kept putting off DDs until I just decided to roll with it until after the first of the year, and it felt great. You'll be ready soon.
I have had 2 DDs since Christmas, but yes it's part of the holiday funk, I think. On Monday, I will definitely be getting into it gung ho! If not before (today). Thanks for the pep talk...part of me says, you haven't lost anything in nearly 6 months even with the DDs, so why rush?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Two completely different responses

Soren, how interesting and good that they have a quality of life questionaire for your pup. Seems like it would really help you 'see' what is going on, and not have to rely on your emotions, which always twist us about so much with our pets. Thinking about you. This is a rough time. I hope you get to enjoy many good moments with Haka still.

And now, for something completely different...

Leonak, one thing I have found VERY USEFUL in elimination is to squat, instead of sitting. This is the proper position for our rectal muscle to be open. When we are sitting, it is holding things closed. Squatting opens up the passage.

You can put two low stools in front of the toilet (I now have a specially-designed one and it is great). I have also had good success with just moving the bathroom wastebasket over, and propping my feet up on it, without placing any weight on it. The important thing is to get your knees several inches higher than your hips, and to lean forward slightly.

Then relax for a minute or two. Sometimes that is all it takes.

This is great for healthy and happy bowels, as well as ones having issues. I have not had any major issues, but even with normal bowel movements, I can tell a marked difference in how things work when I squat versus sit.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Last year, we paddled some of the footpaths and bridleways that were under water. This year, it's hard to tell where the river perimeters should be and where they overflow into banks, fields, moorings.

I've never been out in such high volume, turbulent water. It was exhilarating (and, because we were out with a group, it wasn't as risky as it might sound) but if this rain keeps up, I genuinely don't know what's going to happen to crops and foodstuffs because the fields are completely underwater.
When we were driving home yesterday, we went past a river that looked like a lake, with the tops of trees showing through the water where the edges of fields were supposed to be.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #135
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
Leonak, one thing I have found VERY USEFUL in elimination is to squat, instead of sitting. This is the proper position for our rectal muscle to be open. When we are sitting, it is holding things closed. Squatting opens up the passage.

You can put two low stools in front of the toilet (I now have a specially-designed one and it is great). I have also had good success with just moving the bathroom wastebasket over, and propping my feet up on it, without placing any weight on it. The important thing is to get your knees several inches higher than your hips, and to lean forward slightly.

Then relax for a minute or two. Sometimes that is all it takes.

This is great for healthy and happy bowels, as well as ones having issues. I have not had any major issues, but even with normal bowel movements, I can tell a marked difference in how things work when I squat versus sit.
That is so interesting. I've heard of the squatting thing before and wondered about how it would "work" and your description is great. I had to look up the special stool and I love the name of one brand. Squatty Potty! The reviews on Amazon are quite convincing, as well as your endorsement of course. So tell me......would this be a bad Mothers Day gift......for the woman who has everything except an easy time in the bathroom?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #136
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh my gosh, Carly! Your new avi is beautiful!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #137
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
That is so interesting. I've heard of the squatting thing before and wondered about how it would "work" and your description is great. I had to look up the special stool and I love the name of one brand. Squatty Potty! The reviews on Amazon are quite convincing, as well as your endorsement of course. So tell me......would this be a bad Mothers Day gift......for the woman who has everything except an easy time in the bathroom?
---------
Not necessarily...

Quote:
Thank you!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I'm having such a happy morning! I feel really well set for a good dd, and just in a good mood.

I'm mildly worried on a global scale, about the changes in UK weather, and the storm on the east coast caused more flooding in Massachusetts ... Sigh

Interesting about the bathroom info... Could've called it the stool stool

I'm sort of sitting around, but I want to *do* something! like take down the Xmas tree and decor, and tidy the basement. Need dh's help, so I'll have to wait to get him engaged bc he's enjoying his lazy morning

I'm happy I have a plan for my dd meal out tonight! The mojo is rolling, my friends!!!
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #139
Big Yapper!!!!

That's so great Soren! Run with it!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MaryEllenC
Quote:
Agree!

Mary Ellen
MaryEllenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
Carly, i was just going to say that myself!!! what a cutie patootie you are
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
I have had 2 DDs since Christmas, but yes it's part of the holiday funk, I think. On Monday, I will definitely be getting into it gung ho! If not before (today). Thanks for the pep talk...part of me says, you haven't lost anything in nearly 6 months even with the DDs, so why rush?
Ah don't be so hard on yourself. I didn't lose anything last year. But I didn't gain any either! I have kept the 65 off that I lost in 2911-12 which is unheard of for me. I choose to look at it as a victory.

I am also starting new with the New Year. I think a lot of us who have struggled are. We can do this!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
I have a question: is anyone here using JUDDD for maintenance? I have heard of people switching to a 5:2 IF plan for maintenance, but I am not sure about JUDDD. I am curious because I am trying to iron out a plan for maintenance and I need ideas.

I guess I should have a look at the maintenance threads...
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Thank You One and All for your help with my "problem"!!!

I will look into the "stool stool" it sounds odd but I bet it will be the winner for me! Also the how to use it was so appreciated too! Thank You!

What a grand bunch we have here, ask any and all questions and one is sure to find the answer!!

leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
I have a question: is anyone here using JUDDD for maintenance?
Me. Albeit, it's 3 DDs, 3 UDs and 1 MD (no DD at the weekend, 1 UD and 1 MD/higher end DD - but Dr Johnson approves of such tweaking in the latest edition of his book).
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #146
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Beautiful picture, Carly!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #147
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you all for the compliments about my new picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
I have a question: is anyone here using JUDDD for maintenance? I have heard of people switching to a 5:2 IF plan for maintenance, but I am not sure about JUDDD. I am curious because I am trying to iron out a plan for maintenance and I need ideas.

I guess I should have a look at the maintenance threads...
I usually do 5:2. I throw a little EOD in from time to time (like now or after a vacation). I like really low DDs so I prefer to do 2 DDs under 300 than every other day at like 700.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Carly - all your photos are so "cute" , you are so very special to us all!
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #149
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Carly - all your photos are so "cute" , you are so very special to us all!
Thank you! You are all very special to me
Old 01-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Currently sitting in massive traffic. A plane carrying three people had to make an emergency landing on the highway. I believe there are minor injuries. What is going on in this world?!?
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote