Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #631
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Like you, I am a lover of routines and I'm a list maker.

My routines and lists are much simpler and waaaaaay more fun now!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #632
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I have the best of both worlds. I retired but went back to work 2 days a week doing the same thing. DH retired Dec 31 and I leave him a list of things to do when I leave for work. I have even given him the shopping duties which I hate and he is doing a doggone good job of it. I like working 2 days a week and the income on top of my retirement check is super nice. And I can pick my days and hours since I am the boss. Nothing but fun here. I can do this for years. LOL Still can't teach him to turn on the vacuum cleaner yet but he does play with the dog so that is good.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014

Last edited by adillenal; 01-21-2014 at 10:49 AM..
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #633
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Hubby and I have been enjoying retirement since 2002, and by golly, it gets better as the years pass.

We've both kept active and that's been a major contributor to our good health, albeit a bit overweight.

Hubby does have a heart condition, but each time he goes for his blood work, the numbers are good and/or getting better......that's because of his attitude which remains and always has been....positive and upbeat.

I'm 73 and he's 71, but we're a lot more active than a lot of our younger friends.

We're truly blessed!

Gracie's Journal

Last edited by sazzie; 01-21-2014 at 10:53 AM..
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: May 2013
It sounds like retirement will be filled with mixed blessings. LOL Yam - your DH sounds like mine - he and I can always laugh things out, so I imagine retirement will be the same - when he joins me in two years. We've been married 40+ years - I've put up with him thus far. AHEM... LOL AND him, me.

I worry about the long winters here and the fact I can hibernate in PJs so long that I think all my regular slacks have SHRUNK after a winter like that. I get a bit depressed during the winter as well - so a routine of FUN activities, and perhaps a day or two of work if need be, will be in my best interest.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #635
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post
Hubby and I have been enjoying retirement since 2002, and by golly, it gets better as the years pass.

We've both kept active and that's been a major contributor to our good health, albeit a bit overweight.

Hubby does have a heart condition, but each time he goes for his blood work, the numbers are good and/or getting better......that's because of his attitude which remains and always has been....positive and upbeat.

I'm 73 and he's 71, but we're a lot more active than a lot of our younger friends.

We're truly blessed!
I love hearing these uplifting retirement tales!! I started paying more attention to my health and weight loss in the past 10 years - trying to stay as active and healthy as I can. My DH has high BP, on meds - but for me - so far so good - no health issues. I do look forward to getting back to walking though - that will be first on my list of things to do when retired. Oh, that means I need to start walking THIS WEEK!

Last edited by Goner; 01-21-2014 at 10:59 AM..
Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #636
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I have the best of both worlds. I retired but went back to work 2 days a week doing the same thing. DH retired Dec 31 and I leave him a list of things to do when I leave for work. I have even given him the shopping duties which I hate and he is doing a doggone good job of it. I like working 2 days a week and the income on top of my retirement check is super nice. And I can pick my days and hours since I am the boss. Nothing but fun here. I can do this for years. LOL Still can't teach him to turn on the vacuum cleaner yet but he does play with the dog so that is good.
Sounds like you have him trained well, Adi! DH is not great at grocery shopping but I have him do it some times anyway. Then he has to live with the consequences. ha! He does vacuum. He can't figure out how to turn on the dish washer. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post

We're truly blessed!
You look SO YOUNG! I've told you that before. A great attitude, a good sense of humor and constant adventure. DH always says, "and the adventure continues!" every time we go somewhere. We still love trying new things, like kayaking in Hawaii last September. We are blessed to still have good health so we can do whatever we want. I feel sorry for people who wait too long to travel and then don't have the good health to hike around and see and do everything they want. Staying active is key to enjoying retirement. But so is resting and napping. It's all about pacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
It sounds like retirement will be filled with mixed blessings. LOL Yam - your DH sounds like mine - he and I can always laugh things out, so I imagine retirement will be the same - when he joins me in two years. We've been married 40+ years - I've put up with him thus far. AHEM... LOL AND him, me.

I worry about the long winters here and the fact I can hibernate in PJs so long that I think all my regular slacks have SHRUNK after a winter like that. I get a bit depressed during the winter as well - so a routine of FUN activities, and perhaps a day or two of work if need be, will be in my best interest.
DH and I have been married 41 years. It gets better all the time.

Speaking of PJs... I'm wearing my comfy, red, Christmas pajamas. The shirt says, "Dear Santa, I've been good. (but not that good)" and an envelope addressed to Santa Claus, North Pole.

I've been known to get dressed, run some errands, come home and get right back into my PJs. I have a whole wardrobe of pajamas. Nothing better. DH owns about 5 pairs of comfy pajama bottoms. He has now adopted my strategy of wearing what we call our lounging clothes.

It really cuts down on laundry. My DD calls it our "uniforms". But when she is here, she loves having a pajama day!

In fact, sometimes on a Saturday morning she will call and say, "Is it OK if the kids and I come over for a pajama day?" She piles them in the car, all wearing their pajamas, and they come over for pancakes and a day of playing Scrabble and putting puzzles together. I love it. Maybe I'm a bad influence.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 01-21-2014 at 11:11 AM..
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #637
Senior LCF Member

PJ day! I love it! I think it will take me awhile to cultivate the casual look though. And for my DH - he considers a PJ day, a lazy day - and NOT in a good way. Last Sunday I had a PJ day - of course, it's a mind set, but I didn't feel like I accomplished anything laying around all day.. .but then when I'm retired I don't HAVE to accomplish anything. See it is a mind set - I will grow my retirement mind set, and MANY things will no longer bother me - I'm sure.
And Adi - my DH is NOT well trained, dang I tried with more, but he will turn on the vac if threatened.... LOL... he does his own laundry, makes the coffee in the morning, takes out the trash, irons his own shirts, grocery shops a little if asked - hmmmm he's starting to sound pretty good. LOL I'll keep him another 40 years.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #638
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
I came off the antibiotics for the sinus infection a week ago Monday. I started losing weight well after that. However, by Friday, my cough was back and so was some of the weight.

It's all quite annoying. I don't feel like I'm sick or anything. It's just this stupid dry cough that won't go away.
Quote:
No ear thing for me, fortunately. I just feel like I constantly have to clear my throat. I am probably annoying everyone around me.
Just wanted to say that my cold from Christmas has resolved to this annoying dry cough too. I still have a bit of post-nasal drip, but not enough to warrant using the steroid spray (Flonase or nasonex, whatever), IMO. I think though that's what's keeping the cough around. It's not super bad, just a lot of ahem ahem, ya know?

The crying this week didn't help, but I'm avoiding that and now I'm back to regular annoying cough.

I did/do use the Hydrasense water cleansing stuff-- like a neti pot on jet spray (you can actually get different levels of pressure). This year was just ok, but last year, it REALLY helped me, got a lot of guck out, and I was a convert.
I bought it for this year's cold, but didn't find the same wow factor.
Just another tool in the never-ending battle against nasal crimes.

Not much else to report here. I think I've told the last people to know-- my house cleaning team. They come in and are like, where's the dog? So, now, that's done.
They say it will take a while to get all the fur out. I have to admit, I think I'm mildly allergic to dogs. I wonder if I'll notice any health differences going forward...

Slowly easing back into JUDDD lifestyle-- I haven't used my calorie counter, but will in the next few days, I think.

ttyl,
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #639
Big Yapper!!!!

Forgot to say that DH does laundry. If nothing else an old coach can do laundry as he has done it at work for 35 years. Football, basketball and rack uniforms all have to be washed . and washed. and washed. So he does that as well as loads the dishwashe and uns it but hasn't quite caught on to taking clean dishes out. But he tries.
Cooking _ NO.NO.NO. He would starve to death if he had to cok all of his meals. When he ran out of peanut butter and spoons he would be in trouble,

I am going back to lowfat as I cannot lose on high fat. It won't kill me and it might just help me break through and get back to my before Christmas maintenance weight. Not LC though. Having oat groats or cooked oat bran for breakfast. keeps me full until lunch so it is a start. Of course I decided to do this just when the hens started laying again since I put a light in the henhouse.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #640
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
I do better on lower fat, too. Rolled oats with a little applesauce and a lot of cinnamon is amazing and sticks around forever.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #641
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
That’s interesting. If I have low fat porridge I’m hungry again in an hour. A very small portion with cream or butter works better for me. The important thing is to find what suits you!
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #642
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Forgot to say that DH does laundry. If nothing else an old coach can do laundry as he has done it at work for 35 years. Football, basketball and rack uniforms all have to be washed . and washed. and washed. So he does that as well as loads the dishwashe and uns it but hasn't quite caught on to taking clean dishes out. But he tries.
Cooking _ NO.NO.NO. He would starve to death if he had to cok all of his meals. When he ran out of peanut butter and spoons he would be in trouble,

I am going back to lowfat as I cannot lose on high fat. It won't kill me and it might just help me break through and get back to my before Christmas maintenance weight. Not LC though. Having oat groats or cooked oat bran for breakfast. keeps me full until lunch so it is a start. Of course I decided to do this just when the hens started laying again since I put a light in the henhouse.
Between the two of us--me eating fat, and you eating lean, we should figure this out!! I think there's a riddle about that somewhere.

Frosty, what in the heck is that in your avi? Is the poor thing in pain, just born or what? I have trouble looking at it lol.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 01-21-2014 at 01:20 PM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #643
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
That’s interesting. If I have low fat porridge I’m hungry again in an hour. A very small portion with cream or butter works better for me. The important thing is to find what suits you!
Just curious - are you talking about plain porridge with no sugar, made with water, whole grain? I thought it wouldn't last either but, for me, it does. I only add plain, no sugar applesauce (or home canned peaches) and cinnamon.

Of course, I also start with a full cup of rolled oats (not instant) and adding two cups of water, so maybe it's the amount we are talking here, too.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #644
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Frosty, what in the heck is that in your avi? Is the poor thing in pain, just born or what? I have trouble looking at it lol.
It's a kitty getting a bath in the sink (unwillingly). At first glance, though, he's doing a good impression of a gremlin.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #645
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I typically make it with half water, half milk. I use the water to do overnight soaking as per Nourishing Traditions. Sometimes I have a tsp of honey, but very little because I was always watching carbs.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #646
Senior LCF Member

Like I said, I was just curious.

I found low fat works for me but only if I keep sugar (table sugar, not stuff like fruit) to a minimum. Once the sugar enters the mix, I am a lot hungrier.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #647
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No, I don’t have it very sweet. I don’t have a particularly sweet tooth — though I do recognise that desire to keep eating more once I taste something very sweet.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #648
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
The weather is awful here. It took over an hour to drive the seven mile commute home. Fingers crossed for a snow day tomorrow.

There's so much to read through on here. I took a little mental health break yesterday which meant no internet. So I'll be reading through posts for the remainder of the evening.
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #649
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post

I've been known to get dressed, run some errands, come home and get right back into my PJs.... My DD calls it our "uniforms". But when she is here, she loves having a pajama day!

In fact, sometimes on a Saturday morning she will call and say, "Is it OK if the kids and I come over for a pajama day?" She piles them in the car, all wearing their pajamas, and they come over for pancakes and a day of playing Scrabble and putting puzzles together. ...

Is this retirement, or heaven? Sounds fantastic.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #650
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Uh oh. I bought some Barefoot "summer wine" that was on sale and it is sweet as syrup, with a little sparkle lol. I read the back to see if it was described as sweet, and it wasn't. I guess this bottle might (should) not get drunk (drank?). However, it probably will.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #651
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/176/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Adi, Goner & Yam-Yam, you lucky girls! Trained husbands, wow! I sometimes wonder what I'll do when DH retires. When he's at home he goes from chair to sofa to bed and back, in between being fed! And then says, "oh man, I'm bored, I'll have to work till I go to my grave"! I swear, he watches me when he's at home and thinks I do nothing (may be paranoia on my part)! He doesn't know how the dish washer works, no laundry, no ironing, no shopping, no cooking, nada, jilts! Food and tea served to him on the table! But to be honest he does work hard! So I feel very sorry for him and feel it's only fare that I serve him hand & foot as I'm home all day doing things my way! Mind you I was doing things this way even when I was working full time! Old Indian mentality and great expectations on his part, I suppose! I have been telling him lately, that when he retires I will too (from all household chores unless he helps)! However, when he's on call I have complete free days and I sometimes think our marriage survived 36+ yrs so far because of his working schedule! and possibly, because he is just a very nice man (sometimes); at least that's what everybody tells me!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #652
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Uh oh. I bought some Barefoot "summer wine" that was on sale and it is sweet as syrup, with a little sparkle lol. I read the back to see if it was described as sweet, and it wasn't. I guess this bottle might (should) not get drunk (drank?). However, it probably will.
Tsk, Tsk! Temptation, here I come! All LC I presume!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #653
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: allisonm
Stats: 336/286/160 5'9"
WOE: LC GFCF JUDDD
Quote:
Can you return it? I would consider it. Or maybe invite neighbors over for a glass of wine? A lot of people like sweet wine. In my neighborhood people invite one another over for a glass of wine frequently. (It's derailed my losses several times.)
allisonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #654
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I do better on lower fat, too. Rolled oats with a little applesauce and a lot of cinnamon is amazing and sticks around forever.
Since I tried whole oat groats, I cannot go back to rolled oats. Love whole oat groats.

BUT 1/4 cup dry oat bran cooked in 1 cup of water with nothing added fills me up and surprisingly stays with me easily until noon. The oat bran works better than groats but either are good.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #655
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Since I tried whole oat groats, I cannot go back to rolled oats. Love whole oat groats.

BUT 1/4 cup dry oat bran cooked in 1 cup of water with nothing added fills me up and surprisingly stays with me easily until noon. The oat bran works better than groats but either are good.
I have to be really careful with oats because they are frequently cross-contaminated with gluten (for example, Quaker Oats makes me sick every time), so once I found something that works for me, I stick with it.

The certified gluten free oats are too bloomin' expensive for what you get. That's interesting about the bran though. I wouldn't have thought that would be very tasty.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #656
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
Adi, Goner & Yam-Yam, you lucky girls! Trained husbands, wow!
When my wife and I first started dating, one day she was at my place and got up to get something or use the bathroom or something. I asked her to bring me some pop while she was up and she said "What? Did you break your leg?" She made sure to lay the ground rules right away.

We have a pretty good division of labor but I'll probably still drive her crazy if I ever get to retire.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #657
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonm View Post
Can you return it? I would consider it. Or maybe invite neighbors over for a glass of wine? A lot of people like sweet wine. In my neighborhood people invite one another over for a glass of wine frequently. (It's derailed my losses several times.)
Or mix it with some juice and fizzy soda (club, sprite, etc) and you have a nice spritzer.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #658
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
When my wife and I first started dating, one day she was at my place and got up to get something or use the bathroom or something. I asked her to bring me some pop while she was up and she said "What? Did you break your leg?" She made sure to lay the ground rules right away.

We have a pretty good division of labor but I'll probably still drive her crazy if I ever get to retire.
Aha, That's the difference, you dated and had to woo her. Ours was an arranged marriage, so I got handed to him on a platter!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #659
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdforshort View Post
Aha, That's the difference, you dated and had to woo her. Ours was an arranged marriage, so I got handed to him on a platter!
There are times that doesn't sound all that bad.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #660
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Soren, your new avi is just beautiful!!!!!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote