Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #451
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Oh, and 'Nilla? Try wearing a mask while posting. No one will recognize you...
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #452
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Ok, great responses folks, thank you!

To our guys and what Dawn said-- I agree a "number" isn't a great idea, but as a target, not terrible. In reality, I think it will be like Dawn's DH-- get to around 200 and re-evaluate. I think *he* wants to be "under" 200, ya know? We'll see. He likes to jog, but after years of sports, and with the weight, its hard on his knees. Lose the weight, and I bet he'll be jogging (inside or outside, whatever) soon.

re: gabapentin. I didn't know it was part of Lyrica. My mom got that when she got Shingles, and she LOOOOOVED it... a little too much Made her a bit loopy, but she eventually weened off of it.

different action in dogs than humans, though. No swelling anywhere that we can see, but I'll remain vigilant.
I'm not entirely sure *how* it's helping him, but it seems to be, so we'll keep at it.
BTW-- the literature I read says it has "synergy" with NSAIDs, and he's on meloxicam, which is an nsaid, so that might be part of what is helping him, the combination of the 2.

OMG Carly! WTG You! I love when you work hard at something, and it pays off in ways you don't imagine! Did you think they'd offer you a consulting gig?
If you need any training tips, pm me

Nilla-- I think if you wear gloves while posting, they can't track your prints.

in unrelated news-- I decided to "lighten up" an apple cake recipe, and have it in the oven. If it doesn't suck, I'll share with you. It should make 8 good servings at 270 cals per (high in carbs, couldn't be helped. Almond meal is more caloric than flour, so I stuck with the flour. But I cut sugar and oil).
Or it could be crap. We'll see

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #453
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Congrats, Carly! More work, but more recognition (and more money).

Oh, about men's weight--my bf is 5'11 and about 170 and quite slim. That's part of why I thought 180 at 6'3 would be very slim.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #454
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post

different action in dogs than humans, though. No swelling anywhere that we can see, but I'll remain vigilant.
I'm not entirely sure *how* it's helping him, but it seems to be, so we'll keep at it.
BTW-- the literature I read says it has "synergy" with NSAIDs, and he's on meloxicam, which is an nsaid, so that might be part of what is helping him, the combination of the 2.

Although not entirely understood, gabapentin is thought to work on the synapses (connections) of nerves to decrease conductivity of the pain signal. So it isn't actually doing anything for the pain, per se, its just diminishing the body's ability to tell the brain, via neuronal pathways, that there is pain to perceive.

It is often used in concert with a narcotic pain medication (my personal favorite is tramadol due to its non-controlled status which means less paperwork) and/or NSAIDs in animals. Personally, I've never used it alone for pain control and can't recall ever seeing it used alone. Usually for me, my progression is nutraceuticals (glucosamine, etc) --> Intermittent NSAID use --> consistent NSAID use --> opioids --> gabapentin. Each building on the last so that, eventually, a patient may be on all 3 meds. Of course, this is a very general outline and, depending on the state of the patient treatment could start further down the line/spectrum. But that's a general outline of how pain control/management usually goes. For us, anyway.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #455
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Quote:
To our guys and what Dawn said-- I agree a "number" isn't a great idea, but as a target, not terrible. In reality, I think it will be like Dawn's DH-- get to around 200 and re-evaluate. I think *he* wants to be "under" 200, ya know? We'll see. He likes to jog, but after years of sports, and with the weight, its hard on his knees. Lose the weight, and I bet he'll be jogging (inside or outside, whatever) soon.
I started with a target of 200 and re-evaluated when I got there and set my new target to 190 based on BF % and the mirror. I may end up at 180-185 if I hit my BF% target without gaining more muscle mass.
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #456
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Congratulations on the consulting job, Carly! They're lucky to get you!

I stopped at Goodwill this afternoon to see about getting a swimsuit or some fitted shorts and sports bra for my possible upcoming body composition test. I found those items, and also picked up 2 cute skirts for $4 each. They're size 7/8 and a bit snug, but I'll bet another 5 pounds or so and I'll be wearing them.

Last edited by LoCarbGal; 01-14-2014 at 09:58 PM..
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 AM   #457
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
OMG Carly! WTG You! I love when you work hard at something, and it pays off in ways you don't imagine! Did you think they'd offer you a consulting gig?If you need any training tips, pm me
No. I was not expecting that in the least and I'm not sue that they were either until part way through the training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Congrats, Carly! More work, but more recognition (and more money).
Yes, but not so much that it will feel burdensome- at least that is what I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Congratulations on the consulting job, Carly! They're lucky to get you!
Thank you!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 AM   #458
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
purchased tickets to go to florida 2/15-22. already stressing about keeping 2 year old quiet on the plane for 3 hours. he did well last year, but i was working feverishly behind the scenes to make sure of it! not fun.

i am, however, very thankful to my inlaws for purchasing the tickets so we can come down for a visit. it will be a nice respite right in the middle of a crazy PA winter!
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #459
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Congrats Carly! I'm so proud of you.

Colleen, movies and snacks always worked with my nephew at that age when we had to take a flight anywhere.

So much to catch up on here. I love it! I've been winter cleaning the last few days and I feel so much lighter mentally. I can't wait to get home and clear out some more junk.
LiLi914 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #460
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Wow trips, promotions, and down sizing needed stuff...love it all.
MY whole upstairs needs downsized again, and plan to take that on as soon as I can.
I have to share this new food.
I tried this food several years ago and left the rest on my plate, just didn't care for it.
DH bought the little guys by accident few weeks ago, he thought it was frozen spinach.
So last night we thought we ought to try them again and pass them on the the chickens the next morning if we didn't eat it. Brussel sprouts!
Steamed them in the veggie microwave dish, cooked on auto, added butter when finished cooking...we both loved them...notbad side effects...so far..
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #461
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I love Brussels sprouts. They're fantastic roasted with a little butter, too.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #462
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Well, the blood pressure saga continues.

Yesterday was a donation day (I live in the sticks and the blood center sends a mobile unit out our way every three months). It was an UD for me but I planned on not eating until after donating but ended up having yogurt in the morning since this was the first day after coming off antibiotics. I wanted to make sure I got it in and if I waited until late afternoon to start eating, it would have been tough to get all my UD calories in before bedtime.

We are moving into a new office and I spent all morning moving things. I did have an hour to chill before my donation appointment.

Anyway, like I said earlier, last week, my BP was 124/82 in the doctor's office. Yesterday, the BP machine in the pre-donation interview said it was 179/116! Of course, they turned me down.

I have been to the doctor several times since this all started and they have never said anything about my BP when they checked it, so I know it isn't that high. For some reason, those machines hate me. I am planning on contacting the blood center to explain the situation and see if I can get a waiver. Even if I did have high BP, a donation would help by temporarily reducing volume (that's how diuretic BP medication works).

This is really frustrating.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #463
Big Yapper!!!!

Colleen, a winter trip to Florida sounds wonderful. I understand feeling nervous about keeping your little guy quiet and happy. I'm sure that can be embarrassing and you don't want him to by unhappy.

Lisa, I LOVE organizing and cleaning out! It's one of my favorite things. I come from a long line of packrats (organized packrats, but they tend to want to keep everything) and I'm exactly the opposite. Wish I could come and help you!

Terri, they're good aren't they? I'm with Dawn, roasted with butter and maybe some garlic...heaven.

Frosty, that is so frustrating! I hope you can get that figured out and get that waiver.

Beautiful, sunny day here today. I've got tons of work to do, and I love being busy. And it's an UD. It's gonna be a good day.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #464
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Frosry I was wondering how it went yesterday for u.
Curious is it always the same Bp machine on the route, different people?
I'd pack a old fashion Bp cuff with me for fun and just see what they read next time going to for donation. Suppose the guy/gal before you doesn't fail the testing?
Their Bp cuff scares me for sure.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #465
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eieio View Post
Wow trips, promotions, and down sizing needed stuff...love it all.
MY whole upstairs needs downsized again, and plan to take that on as soon as I can.
I have to share this new food.
I tried this food several years ago and left the rest on my plate, just didn't care for it.
DH bought the little guys by accident few weeks ago, he thought it was frozen spinach.
So last night we thought we ought to try them again and pass them on the the chickens the next morning if we didn't eat it. Brussel sprouts!
Steamed them in the veggie microwave dish, cooked on auto, added butter when finished cooking...we both loved them...notbad side effects...so far..
I like to slice each one in half toss with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and bake or roast in the oven. The pieces that fall off and blacken are especially delicious, like little chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
Well, the blood pressure saga continues.

Yesterday was a donation day (I live in the sticks and the blood center sends a mobile unit out our way every three months). It was an UD for me but I planned on not eating until after donating but ended up having yogurt in the morning since this was the first day after coming off antibiotics. I wanted to make sure I got it in and if I waited until late afternoon to start eating, it would have been tough to get all my UD calories in before bedtime.

We are moving into a new office and I spent all morning moving things. I did have an hour to chill before my donation appointment.

Anyway, like I said earlier, last week, my BP was 124/82 in the doctor's office. Yesterday, the BP machine in the pre-donation interview said it was 179/116! Of course, they turned me down.

I have been to the doctor several times since this all started and they have never said anything about my BP when they checked it, so I know it isn't that high. For some reason, those machines hate me. I am planning on contacting the blood center to explain the situation and see if I can get a waiver. Even if I did have high BP, a donation would help by temporarily reducing volume (that's how diuretic BP medication works).

This is really frustrating.
You couldn't just have some blood withdrawn at the doctor's office? Sorry you're continuing to have issues with BP readings. I know that must be frustrating.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #466
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
You couldn't just have some blood withdrawn at the doctor's office?
Then I would have to pay for it. If I donate blood, I get to help someone else (the blood center is constantly crying about not having enough blood) and help myself - for free!.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #467
Blabbermouth!!!

Frosty: That must be so frustrating! Especially after such a great reading at the doc's. I agree that donating reduces BP. I donated blood right before my annual check up last year. I didn't mention it, but the doc was concerned about how low my BP was until I told her I had just donated.

Colleen: Enjoy the warm! Most of my family lives in PA. I was born and raised there. You need a vacation! I'm sure your little one will do well on the plane. Just give him something to chew or suck on during take off and landing to keep the pressure from building in his ears. That's so painful for kids.

Carly: Congrats on the job!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #468
Blabbermouth!!!

Reporting: I was so happy to step on the scale this morning after yesterday's good DD and find all is well. That's after my 3 day holiday and a bit of reckless abandon with my eating. I'm still 8 pounds down since I started JUDDing on Dec. 20th. Whew.

So glad I didn't beat myself up or feel guilty or like a failure for blowing it for 3 days. I just called it an adjustment for living life and then moved back into a fabulous DD yesterday.

That's why I love JUDD!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #469
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Carly - Yay for you! Congrats!

Colleen - That's awesome, enjoy the warmer temps a few days!
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #470
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Nice work Yamster.

Frosty it gets harder and harder for me to donate blood. They insist on a list, with dates, of the countries I have visited. I spent a lifetime travelling with DHs work, and still like to go to exotic places. Of course I understand that if I have been to a malarial country or this like they won't take my blood for a year of so. But things are getting ridiculous.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Good morning from sunny SoCal...love all the comments and I, too, am trying to stay up with them all...congrats, pats on the back, commiseration, and thanks...take your pick.

Had an "aha" moment yesterday...as you may or may not know, I've posted frequently that it's really difficult for me to eat up to my UD goals but yesterday I certainly did yesterday, thus the "aha" I stopped at my favorite Mexican place and ordered just a cheese enchilada and a chili relleno...no beans, no rice. Of course, a few chips (about 10) with salsa and sour cream and a horchata (a rice/cinnamon beverage). Got home and put it into my food diary and discovered that was a whopping 1000 calories...OMG!!!

Thus the "aha"...no wonder I was the size I was as we used to do that frequently and eat the beans and rice and share an appetizer before it. I'm so glad for this woe, 'cause I can have these foods occasionally and feel no guilt...just surprise.

BTW, been meaning to ask...does anyone else still have a false image of your size? I was so used to shopping for 2X clothing, I can't get used to shopping for Medium and Large. I'm still not looking into mirrors, unless I can't help it. Maybe if I looked, I'd get used to the new me....lol.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #472
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Don't change a thing. We love you exactly the freaked out way you are.
Why, that's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me.

Quote:
Oh, and 'Nilla? Try wearing a mask while posting. No one will recognize you...
Quote:
Nilla-- I think if you wear gloves while posting, they can't track your prints.
Tips duly noted.

Quote:
Reporting: I was so happy to step on the scale this morning after yesterday's good DD and find all is well. That's after my 3 day holiday and a bit of reckless abandon with my eating. I'm still 8 pounds down since I started JUDDing on Dec. 20th. Whew.

So glad I didn't beat myself up or feel guilty or like a failure for blowing it for 3 days. I just called it an adjustment for living life and then moved back into a fabulous DD yesterday.

That's why I love JUDD!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #473
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
Good morning from sunny SoCal...love all the comments and I, too, am trying to stay up with them all...congrats, pats on the back, commiseration, and thanks...take your pick.

Had an "aha" moment yesterday...as you may or may not know, I've posted frequently that it's really difficult for me to eat up to my UD goals but yesterday I certainly did yesterday, thus the "aha" I stopped at my favorite Mexican place and ordered just a cheese enchilada and a chili relleno...no beans, no rice. Of course, a few chips (about 10) with salsa and sour cream and a horchata (a rice/cinnamon beverage). Got home and put it into my food diary and discovered that was a whopping 1000 calories...OMG!!!

Thus the "aha"...no wonder I was the size I was as we used to do that frequently and eat the beans and rice and share an appetizer before it. I'm so glad for this woe, 'cause I can have these foods occasionally and feel no guilt...just surprise.

BTW, been meaning to ask...does anyone else still have a false image of your size? I was so used to shopping for 2X clothing, I can't get used to shopping for Medium and Large. I'm still not looking into mirrors, unless I can't help it. Maybe if I looked, I'd get used to the new me....lol.
Hey Mary! Glad to see you popping in. Yes, my body image is all over the place crazy. It's starting to shift, but I still see small clothes (like size Mediums) and think there's no way, and then they fit. Only the other day I saw a top and thought, "that will fit" and it was a Medium. So I guess it's starting to catch up, but not all the time. I wonder if we'll always "see" ourselves as big, all the time, or if that will go away eventually. Dawn? Carly? Flutter? Kissa? What's your take?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #474
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Frosty it gets harder and harder for me to donate blood. They insist on a list, with dates, of the countries I have visited. I spent a lifetime travelling with DHs work, and still like to go to exotic places. Of course I understand that if I have been to a malarial country or this like they won't take my blood for a year of so. But things are getting ridiculous.
They are always going on about being short on blood but they are also getting pickier and pickier. My wife is constantly getting turned down because her iron levels are right under the cutoff. It is supposed to be something like 12.5 and her's will be 12.2 or 12.3 and they will reject her.

I can understand rejecting someone because they might have been exposed to something dangerous; it's when it's for our safety that it gets irritating. I should be abled to make that choice, especially after taking time off from work and sitting in their waiting area for a half hour. They should let us sign a consent form saying it's okay and we won't sue them or something.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
BTW, been meaning to ask...does anyone else still have a false image of your size? I was so used to shopping for 2X clothing, I can't get used to shopping for Medium and Large.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Yes, my body image is all over the place crazy. It's starting to shift, but I still see small clothes (like size Mediums) and think there's no way, and then they fit...
My DH has a theory that, to some extent, some people who lose weight develop a sort of phantom body image akin to phantom limb syndrome. There are times when people who've lost a substantial amount may still feel and see some of their former selves, and they assess clothes relative to that.

As for me - I've never been able to judge my size because standard sizes have never fitted me.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Old dogs, new tricks and all that. I've taken to baking my gingerbreads and fruit malt loaves in covered tins and I'm very pleased with the result. I've never been happy about the way that these bake in an electric oven (our heat is from the back of the oven, not the top and bottom in the UK - and I can't turn off my fan in this oven) and these come out with a less dry top and a much more even rise (without me having to wrap the tin in damp towels to stabilise the temperature).

My next task will be to make lids for most of the tins that I already own as my collection is vast and I really can't justify purchasing yet more specialist tins...
July 2014 Life, eh! In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional and normal service may resume at some point
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #477
Senior LCF Member

yam, that is awesome!! good for you
Old 01-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Although not entirely understood, gabapentin is thought to work on the synapses (connections) of nerves to decrease conductivity of the pain signal. So it isn't actually doing anything for the pain, per se, its just diminishing the body's ability to tell the brain, via neuronal pathways, that there is pain to perceive.

It is often used in concert with a narcotic pain medication (my personal favorite is tramadol due to its non-controlled status which means less paperwork) and/or NSAIDs in animals. Personally, I've never used it alone for pain control and can't recall ever seeing it used alone. Usually for me, my progression is nutraceuticals (glucosamine, etc) --> Intermittent NSAID use --> consistent NSAID use --> opioids --> gabapentin. Each building on the last so that, eventually, a patient may be on all 3 meds. Of course, this is a very general outline and, depending on the state of the patient treatment could start further down the line/spectrum. But that's a general outline of how pain control/management usually goes. For us, anyway.
Thanks Jen for weighing in-- I figure you'd have something good to say.

I am seeing 2 vets, but from the same practice, so they know what's in his file. We are proceeding in the direction you mentioned-- I think any hesitation is that, they don't think he's in actual *pain*.

The issue seems to be the nerve signals not getting through, due to some sort of deterioration in the sacroiliac area... His xrays didn't show any arthritis in the back legs, though they are assuming some (and he licks his front ankles) due to his running career. No swelling etc. His left leg is really wonky-- sort of pivots when he walks. And the knuckling.

But they told me he's not in pain, unless he falls, and he would feel that. Just the signals not getting through.

Anyway-- it was a rough day with him. My DH said the walks at night and in the morning are getting very hard. My afternoon walks, in the January thaw, were lovely-- till today. Then I saw what he meant.
And he's NOT holding himself up when he "goes" at all, even if it's not slippery. So if you miss him going into the crouch, there is a lot to clean up

That was me today. On top of it, I was in the middle of hosting a work web thing, and asked a colleague to take over for me bc I could tell he wanted to go out... sigh.

This is a day by day situation, and today, does not look good. Was feeling optimistic yesterday... I just don't know what to do. I guess we'll look at the quality of life evaluation again.

woo-- I'm caught up with everyone else's stuff

Frosty-- I hear ya. I want to give, and they won't let me. Driving me nuts, too. Hope you can get it sorted.

They are short on blood, but they do have to be careful. Don't know about where you are, but up here, we get a "tainted blood" scandal now and then, and you think, Geez, they should've done a better job! So, 6 of one and 1/2 dozen the other, I guess (-- that made sense in my head...)

WTG Yam!

OMG, Carol-- bathing suits! WOO HOO I can't even imagine. I think I got rid of one that was too big, and that was monumental-- there's only so tight you can tie a halter top, ya know?

I was down 1 on the scale. Hope my spaetzle (?) experiment at dinner doesn't mess that up.

S.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #479
Senior LCF Member

hugs about the pup soren have you looked into an animal chiropractor at all? or perhaps acupuncture?
Old 01-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
hugs about the pup soren have you looked into an animal chiropractor at all? or perhaps acupuncture?
We did a while ago, like a few years ago. Actually, he was a demo dog for vets learning acupuncture, which was neat.
He sort of hated it-- not the acupuncture so much, but the experience overall. Aleeya was there too, she didn't like it much better (and she liked everything).

He sort of hates everything though he's kinda grumpy.