Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 06:06 AM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
wow. it's snowing to beat the band out there (what in the WORLD does that mean, anyway??) and of course, there is no delay because it was not forecasted. tori's bus was 15 minutes late and i have since heard rumours that the roads are horrific. sigh.....
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #332
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
wow. it's snowing to beat the band out there (what in the WORLD does that mean, anyway??) and of course, there is no delay because it was not forecasted. tori's bus was 15 minutes late and i have since heard rumours that the roads are horrific. sigh.....
Some of your expressions sound so southern, lol. I guess it means something is so incredible (or loud?) that you can't hear the band? Beats me!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Goner
Stats: 184/158/157 restart 5-1-14 165.5/164/154
Start Date: May 2013
Yup surprise snow storm in NW NJ. I thought we were getting rain today. As I sit inside, it does look pretty though -
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #334
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
One other thing...

One of the driving forces for me to finally get serious about losing weight is that the blood center had started turning me down when I went to give blood. I normally give regularly, partly to help others but also to keep my iron stores down. Over the last year, I was only able to give once (got turned down three times and had the flu another time).

They were turning me down because my diastolic number (bottom number) was too high (over 100). I played around with various ways to get that down, including a very low fat diet which brought it down enough for the one time I was able to donate last summer but none of it was sustainable.

The local Safeway has a new machine that matched up with the doctor's office and I used that to track my BP. The blood center's machines read high (about 15 mm HG high on the Systolic and 10 mm HG high on the Diastolic) but I could account for that.

I hadn't measured in a while so measured last Sunday when we were at Safeway and it was 159/96! I was shocked since I thought the weight loss would bring it down and it was actually higher than last summer. However, this was after a week of holiday eating with no rotations so I thought a clean rotation might get my BP back down in time for the next donation time (next Tuesday).

Anyway, they checked my BP when I went into the doctor's office a couple of hours ago and my BP was 124/82.

So either the machine is wrong, the nurse didn't do it right or JUDDD is super magic.
Great BP reading Frosty! It's amazing what losing a little weight can do for these bodies. I use to not be able to get on my horse unless my husband helped "shove" me up in the saddle. Now I can jump up in there no prob. Still have about 20 or so # to go, but already feel so much better.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
No dr here but some experience with Bp

Quote:
Well, maybe it was low since I was chillin' in the waiting room for a half hour. I had to drive to to the store and there are a lot of idiots out today with the snow. I should probably never get my BP checked right after I drive somewhere.
Exactly frosty! Or being around aboxious people..grrr.
I worked as a cardiology tech in my other life
So I have seen really bad technique at taking Bp.
Yes sleeve up and arm relaxed. Too small of cuff a real no-no!
U being sick reAlly can cause Bp to show Abnormaly high. But u run high sound like without sinus inf.
Which type of bp cuff to trust? Regular manual or smart cuff electronics style.
I'm not sure now a days. Technology very high standard over the human ears.
Having good hearing is very important using regular Bp cuffs.
So all that said.
I would keep and eye on both types of cuff styles if possible. For while anyway.
Taking ur own Bp is very possible but would need someone to help u get the cuff around your arm and secured correctly.
Sorry about your sinus infection, Hopefully 24 hours and u should feel better---fingers crossed.
My own bp runs low. 110-30.
Once I went to dr. And he read my bp as high 150/80... I told him noway.
But was true think it was just being sick, totally abnormal for me.
Be well frosty!
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
I should of said I haven't worked at the hospital for 15 years.
Things change-thank goodness.
In the olden days
The regular cuff had two tubes running in and out te Bp cuff.
Thoses tubes should be positioned to run along the inside middle of the ur am
Not at the sides of ur arm..yikes I've witness that-bad... Can't explain it any different.
If I could draw a pic
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #337
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: geobom
Stats: 190/168/145
WOE: Atkins/HFLC 7/2013 JUDDD 12/2013
Start Date: restart July 2013
I would like to vent and blow off some steam:

My weight is not moving down, have been maintaining, which is OK, but it's not moving down so I decided to buy a new scale yesterday. Not that the scale will make me lose weight, but my current one only goes in 0.5 increments, so I wanted one that will weigh in 0.2 so I have something to look forward to. I had a funny feeling that my scale was off because whenever I weigh anywhere else like the dr's office or in work, I weigh more than my home scale. Bottom line is my home scale was off by 4 lbs in the wrong direction. I will continue to use my old scale for the month of Jan. and begin with the new one Feb. 1st.

I had to work late last night (or this morning) til 3am and it was an UD, so to stay awake, I snacked until about 11pm. Of course the scale reflected the late eating. Usually on UD's I stop eating around 6pm at the latest. And to top it off, I was stopped by a cop on the way home at 3am. I was going down the road at about 10 above speed limit and seen him too late, parked with his lights off. I immediately slowed down to speed limit and looked in my rear view mirror and seen him turning onto the road. He followed my for a few miles and stopped me a block from my home. I told him I was coming home from work and I usually do not work nights. I showed him my work ID, and he said he stopped me because I was swerving and did not mention anything about speeding. He probably thought I was drunk. After seeing my uniform and work ID he let me go.

My last vent is this morning, after working late and not getting to bed until about 3:30, I had to get my granddaughter up for school today because my retired husband was sick. I started to get her ready and looked outside, and everything was a sheet of ice. There was a student standing at the bus stop across from my house for at least 20 min, her bus never showed up so she went back home again. I drove my granddaughter to the bus stop, and was carefully getting her on the bus, and as the bus was pulling away, I realized that I was holding her school bag in my hand. So, to make a long story short, I had to go home and get dressed (I was still in my pajamas) and drive to school anyway to drop off her schoolbag to the office. I did have plans to go back to bed until she came home- she's in kindergarten which is only half day, but instead I started drinking coffee, hence this long rant!

Kathy
geobom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #338
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Kathy, wow! You've had quite a 24 hours, haven't you? I'm really glad that cop let you go without citing you. That would've been a real kicker. Be careful, all of you, on those slick roads!

Interesting info about the BP readings. I have been to many, many doctor visits with my mom in the past couple of years (breast cancer, lumpectomy, oncologist, radiation - she's fine and doing well), and I've sensed when the person taking it has been skilled or not. One gal couldn't even get any reading and the doctor had to do it. Sigh. I have one of those home units, but haven't tried it in several years. Maybe I should get it out and do some experimenting.

Frosty, it has occurred to me, but I don't think I've ever done it. I have been known to eat very late on an UD though.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #339
Senior LCF Member

oh kathy. you have definitely had a sting of yuckiness. i truly hope your day improves!! ps. very glad you didn't get a ticket!!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Thanks for all the BP info, especially from our resident medical person, Terri. I'm not going to freak out about it; I'm just hoping to be able to finally give blood again on Tuesday.

I am a little suspicious of the Safeway machine. It has a touchscreen control and you have to go through a bunch of screens to get to the BP test. It used to be pretty straightforward but now every other screen is an advertisement for some service or another or for supplements and medicines. Call me cynical but it wouldn't surprise me to find that the results are inflated in an effort to increase sales for those products.

The main symptom of the sinus infection is a pretty bad cough. It was so bad last night that I had to sleep downstairs on the futon so that my wife could get some sleep. Also, during the night, I had a bad coughing fit and pulled a muscle in my groin in the process. Hurts like a bugger now. I'm hoping it isn't a hernia.

As for starting eating at midnight after a DD, I haven't actually done it yet either. I weigh every morning and track the weight. I don't eat late because it would mess up the next mornings' weight.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #341
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Frosty: Maybe watching all the dumb advertisements is making your BP go up!

Kathy: Oh, my. I would need to vent and rant too if I had that kind of a night/morning.

Isn't it interesting that when women (mothers/grandmothers) get sick, we just trudge ahead and do what we have to do. When men get sick they go to bed and zone out. That's been my experience anyway.

My DH will disappear into the bedroom. My SIL can't lift a finger if he has a runny nose. He will stay in bed all day. Just sayin'!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #342
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
My BP is always pleasantly low. Sorry the coughing has got so bad Frosty.

Oh Kathy, what a nightmare of a day. You don't deserve that. Sending big hugs. The scale is particularly irking, we know we don't weigh more just because the scales are different. But that is not how it feels. I have tow homes and the scales in my Devon home weighs heavier than the one here in London. It always upsets me, how silly is that?
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #343
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
so I looked this up, and all signs seem to point to this (you can google it, but I didn't want to link in case the site was selling something?).
From World Wide Words site:
Iím fairly sure that to beat the band originally meant that you sang or played or shouted louder even than an orchestra and so, by later extension, came to refer to anything superlative. Just for once, the common-sense explanation may be the correct one, and thereís no need to invoke Irish towns or Irish storytellers, let alone banshees.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 330/249/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Wow we learn something new every day!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #345
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Anyone else ever stay up late on a DD and have an evil voice in your head say "well - technically I can eat now" when it hits midnight?
I think it a lot, since I tend to stay up past midnight reading regularly... but I don't act on it. I know the overnight fasting is part of the magic.

Quote:
Thanks for all the BP info, especially from our resident medical person, Terri. I'm not going to freak out about it; I'm just hoping to be able to finally give blood again on Tuesday.

I am a little suspicious of the Safeway machine. It has a touchscreen control and you have to go through a bunch of screens to get to the BP test. It used to be pretty straightforward but now every other screen is an advertisement for some service or another or for supplements and medicines. Call me cynical but it wouldn't surprise me to find that the results are inflated in an effort to increase sales for those products.
I've heard this is the case, and overall, they are moving the industry standards down (from 120/80 to 110/70, I think) to sell more BP meds. I'm not medical so I can't confirm, but I've heard this in other bp discussions

Quote:
The main symptom of the sinus infection is a pretty bad cough. It was so bad last night that I had to sleep downstairs on the futon so that my wife could get some sleep. Also, during the night, I had a bad coughing fit and pulled a muscle in my groin in the process. Hurts like a bugger now. I'm hoping it isn't a hernia.
Last year, after a 6 week cold, I finally went to the Dr b/c the cough wasn't going away.

Her advice was: 1) don't use cough suppressants (which is what I wanted, a prescription for a stronger than OTC one) b/c she wants to get the crud OUT, and not fester and cause an infection.

2) the cough was caused by my post-nasal drip (not infected, just dripping) and I was "post viral" ie. not sick actively anymore. So she gave me a steroid spray (nasonex, but there are others) to help calm that.

3) finally, to help calm the coughing, she recommended a spoon or 2 of HONEY, straight. Not in tea, just off the spoon. Right before sleeping, last thing you do.

And it WORKED for me. That very night. I woke up after maybe 4 hrs, took some more, and got a good nights sleep.

So I did the above again this year, and it worked totally. Maybe this can help you too while the antibiotic kicks in. Can't hurt

That said, I wonder if I'm still sick, or getting something new? I'm getting more stuffed up when I wake up each morning. Maybe I need more humidity in the air?

I hope not-- I have my next trip in sight, and I don't want to be sick at the end of the month.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

Kathy - Hopefully today will be a better one. And scales are evil per Flutter.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #347
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
Kathy - Hopefully today will be a better one. And scales are evil per Flutter.
Agreed. Evil.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #348
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Agreed. Evil.
Indeed!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #349
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Nilla, you made it clear a year or two back that you couldn't share more of you personal life with us, and we all respect that. But we love it when you come in and chat about our chatter. Our try to kill a thread...

i remember when you said something to the effect that 'no one takes any notice of my posts'... well you sure got that wrong lady, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
'Nilla, I totally understand wanting to stay private. It took me a long time to "open up" on here, and I still don't get too specific. You just keep doing whatever is comfortable, and we'll take you any way we can get you!
, I hope I don't come across as high and mighty Mrs. Secret Agent or anything! I'm envious of all of you who share so much. Honestly, if I didn't give a flip who knew how much I weighed, I'd be sharing stuff right and left. I will say it's a little paranoid of me to think that anyone I know IRL reads these boards. Y'all are so sweet to take me as I am. Did I really say something about my posts not getting noticed??? If I did, I must have really felt down to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
Iíve not been doing this for long enough to know if it will work indefinitely (I started last summer). I maintained my weight loss on LC for five or six years. I want to maintain for decades. It will take a while longer for me to know if I can carry on like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Nilla: I so want to get there, too. You know, where we just say "La-ti-da. It's a DD" Or, " Oh, good. It's an UD."

Sometimes I feel that way.

Yesterday on my DD I was more anxious because of the scale bounce. Oh, and I was anxious all night long. I kept getting up every hour or two, turning on my little flash light and stepping on the scale! I am going nuts!!!

However, It kept going down .2; .2; a teeny weeny bit at a time.

So, this morning when I finally got up for the last time to start my day, the 2 pound bounce from yesterday was GONE. YAY! and .8 more pounds went with it for a total of -8 pounds since I came back to JUDD on Dec. 21st. Not bad!

BTW: I love you, Vanilla! I think you share just the right amount of stuff and your insight is always great and very much appreciated!
Backatcha! I didn't copy the whole post, but agree on the "la ti da, it's a DD" but I think I'd go "whoop whoop, bust my britches it's a thank-goodness-it's-an-Up-Day UD!!!!!!" I think we need to come take the scale away from you. Glad that bounce went back down.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #350
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Thanks for the ideas, Siren. Unfortunately, this stupid cough isn't productive so the doctor said it was okay to use a suppressant (codeine) . I'm not sure how much it actually helped so I may try the honey tonight.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
[QUOTE=vanilla_latte;16751350], I hope I don't come across as high and mighty Mrs. Secret Agent or anything! I'm envious of all of you who share so much. Honestly, if I didn't give a flip who knew how much I weighed, I'd be sharing stuff right and left. I will say it's a little paranoid of me to think that anyone I know IRL reads these boards. Y'all are so sweet to take me as I am. Did I really say something about my posts not getting noticed??? If I did, I must have really felt down to say that.

Nilla, that's how Nilla, Nilla, Thread Killa started!
I'm pretty sure you're Anjelica Huston for some reason, and I think a little paranoia is a good thing when you're someone that famous. We're just glad to have you with us.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #352
Senior LCF Member

oooohhh angelica huston. kewl!!

this is how rumors get started you know!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #353
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Anyone else ever stay up late on a DD and have an evil voice in your head say "well - technically I can eat now" when it hits midnight?
Frosty, the best UD meal of my Juddd life started one minute past midnight after an eternal DD in Montreal. My god, I can still taste the ciabatta.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Nilla, that's how Nilla, Nilla, Thread Killa started!
I'm pretty sure you're Anjelica Huston for some reason, and I think a little paranoia is a good thing when you're someone that famous. We're just glad to have you with us.
And on me being Anjelica Huston. Um, what gave it away, howdya guess??

Quote:
oooohhh angelica huston. kewl!!

this is how rumors get started you know!
Right!!!!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #355
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
, I hope I don't come across as high and mighty Mrs. Secret Agent or anything! I'm envious of all of you who share so much. Honestly, if I didn't give a flip who knew how much I weighed, I'd be sharing stuff right and left. I will say it's a little paranoid of me to think that anyone I know IRL reads these boards. Y'all are so sweet to take me as I am. Did I really say something about my posts not getting noticed??? If I did, I must have really felt down to say that.
It used to bother me or embarrass me to tell my weight, but I finally figured that it was probably pretty obvious to anyone who's ever seen me.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #356
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 330/249/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Telling my weight was out of the question for a long long time, but then I realized that what the hell, I'm not ashamed of it anymore, and that's when I finally started losing it for good. The truth will set you free! lol
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I only talk about it here. Not on FB (once, the other year, I said I lost 30, which was true at the time... I have other friends who post that stuff there, so I tried it. Didn't like it).

Oh, on FB in a closed, private, secret group. Then yes.

But I don't know anyone who would stalk me to here, even though my username is obvious, and try to find my info and my weight info. No one loves/hates me that much.

S.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
One thing that works very well for me in stopping coughs is to rub Vapo-rub on the soles of my feet before bedtime, then pull on socks. Two nights usually does the trick. I first heard about it on 'The Peoples Pharmacy' radio show. Thought it sounded sketchy, but I gave it a try and was impressed. Now it is my fail-safe.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #359
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't like to tell how much I've lost on FB--I did say when I lost 20, but I don't know if I'll post again about it. Although when I get closer to goal, I sure will put some pictures up.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #360
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lemontini
Stats: 205/188/135 5'6" 49yrs
WOE: JUDDD/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 10/1/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
One thing that works very well for me in stopping coughs is to rub Vapo-rub on the soles of my feet before bedtime, then pull on socks. Two nights usually does the trick. I first heard about it on 'The Peoples Pharmacy' radio show. Thought it sounded sketchy, but I gave it a try and was impressed. Now it is my fail-safe.
How strange! I'll have to give that a try the next time I have a cough.
Lemontini is offline   Reply With Quote