Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceania View Post
My concern is the following. On a DD after my workout, what are the implications if I don't eat anything. Conversely I have concerns about working out on a UD before breaking fast because let's say I stop eating Monday 9pm, I'm not eating anything again until Wednesday 9am, that's 36 hours. This is where my concerns lie with working out and JUDDD.

Anyone else do full fasts and do weight training? This is why I'm thinking ESE would be a better option if I'm fasting for 36 hours. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

Maybe I should stop weight training while I do fasted DDs?
If your work out is at 6am on Wednesday you can have a protein shake or light breakfast before working out if that is your concern. A 33 hour fast is just fine- just as is a 40 something hour fast.

I think it may take some experimenting, but conversely, you may discover that it simply is not the issue you are anticipating it to be. Our bodies are very adaptable and don't require the amount of food that we think it requires.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceania
Stats: 158/155.5/145 32%/28%/24% BF; 5'9
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sep 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I think it may take some experimenting, but conversely, you may discover that it simply is not the issue you are anticipating it to be. Our bodies are very adaptable and don't require the amount of food that we think it requires.
You're right!!! I only started doing fasted workouts when I started JUDDD, before that I never thought a) I would be able to do early morning workouts (I always did them in the evening b) I could do them on a empty stomach. In both cases I was not only wrong but I actually excelled so I'm not sure why I'm once again worrying about something that I haven't bothered trying. I'm trying to break out of many of these negative habits as I can - it's a long journey but slowly I am doing so. I find talking out the issue and getting others' insights really helpful so I hope you all don't mind me doing this.

Perhaps I will start to document my journey about full fast workouts and weight training in case there are others down the road who have the same questions/concerns.

Thanks Carly and everyone else!
oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Another question/concern I have - for those of you have done full fasts on DD, gotten to goal and then started adding calories to you DD, did you gain weight?
But full fast do you mean zero calories, or liquid calories only, or very low calorie DDs (under 300 for example)?

I can't think of anyone who has done 0% long term and gotten to goal, but I know there's lots of low DD success stories.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
But full fast do you mean zero calories, or liquid calories only, or very low calorie DDs (under 300 for example)?

I can't think of anyone who has done 0% long term and gotten to goal, but I know there's lots of low DD success stories.
Yes - that's what I meant liquid calories or very low cal. Based on some of the daily food posts, I thought many people were doing this and wondering how they were sustaining it but I might be mistaken.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Yes - that's what I meant liquid calories or very low cal. Based on some of the daily food posts, I thought many people were doing this and wondering how they were sustaining it but I might be mistaken.
I do best with low calorie, liquid only (usually coffee & latte for pm snack) when in weight loss mode, but I have allowed higher calorie/food DDs in maintenance. I still am hungrier once I chew something, so prefer not to. It doesn't happen nearly often enough right now, though!

You can do it! So close to goal, too!

Last edited by Flutter; 01-01-2014 at 02:05 PM..
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: geobom
Stats: 190/168/145
WOE: Atkins/HFLC 7/2013 JUDDD 12/2013
Start Date: restart July 2013
I attempted JUDDD WOE in March of 2012 after stalling on LC, and I gained weight. I only tried it for a month. I was trying to continue with LC JUDDD, and was hesitant about eating my UD calories. I changed my WOE every other month, alternating between low calorie WW and LC.

I never heard of any other IF plans. I found JUDDD on LCF. Restarted in the beginning of Dec. and find it very easy to fit into my life. I am determined to stick with this plan.

Kathy
geobom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
I think JUDDD is the best WOE but as someone who is prone to binges, I had difficulty with the UD's and I just can't do it. What works for me now is fasting all day until I'm really hungry, breaking fast with with a greek youghurt or fruit or veggies, and then waiting until dinner. If I eat earlier in the day then I spend the rest of the day hungry and obsessing with food. I use Dr Sara Solomon as inspiration, she's a bodybuilder who advocates daily 24 hour fasts, but I just go until I'm hungry and then have that snack. If I'm too black and white it is liable to set off that restrictive binge feeling, so I keep it flexible.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
From my earlier post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I've started a new lifting program and it is AMAZING the results I'm getting!! Gotta say, if my results were better for having lifted only on days my dieting could accommodate, I'd be Arnold by now.
I think that, for most of us, the "feeding the exercise" is just not necessary the way that "they" tell us it is. Just like it isn't always true that if you eat every 2-3 hours in small, frequent meals, you'll lose weight.
...unless you're working out 3-4 hours a day, every day, and have very specific nutritional needs based on your athletic performance, you're unlikely to need to worry about those types of things. In fact, most people grossly over estimate what they burn when they work out and consume too much "recovery" fuel and end up negating the effects of their workout.
For most of us, its just not necessary.
I feel like the above is an answer to below, but since you posted after me, I'm guessing I was not as clear as I thought I was.

Quote:

My concern is the following. On a DD after my workout, what are the implications if I don't eat anything. Conversely I have concerns about working out on a UD before breaking fast because let's say I stop eating Monday 9pm, I'm not eating anything again until Wednesday 9am, that's 36 hours. This is where my concerns lie with working out and JUDDD.

**I don't think there are any. As I stated above, unless you're lifting for huge gains, or for 4+ hours a day, we over-fuel our bodies regularly.

Anyone else do full fasts and do weight training? This is why I'm thinking ESE would be a better option if I'm fasting for 36 hours. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

**I don't full fast (zero calories) but try to have as low a DD as possible, and I do not change my routine for lifting. I do for long runs, as I stated in my previous post, but long runs, for me, are over 7 miles or over 1.5 hours. Not typical unless you're training for a marathon. Which I am. And frequently do. And still my UD/DD is unchanged. And my performance/results are enhanced, if anything.

Maybe I should stop weight training while I do fasted DDs?
Why?

Quote:
Another question/concern I have - for those of you have done full fasts on DD, gotten to goal and then started adding calories to you DD, did you gain weight?
As Christina stated earlier, I don't think anyone here is routinely doing zero calories DDs. There are a lot of liquid only JUDDDers. Maintenance is a whole different animal and takes tweaking as well to find exactly what will work for you.

Last edited by Yennie; 01-01-2014 at 04:34 PM..
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
I like following Dr Sara Solomon who is a huge advocate of 20 hour IF but I have only just learnt from listening to a recent podcast that she is now in favour of ADF, where she does a total fast every second day. Although a regular IF'er, since practising ADF she lost a further 10lbs in 2 weeks. On her feast days she eats 1700 calories. She exercises 20-30 mins each day (no cardio).

In her past life she was a fitness competitor who competed 9 times, each time having to eat less and exercise more to the point where she was eating 800 calories daily and exercising 3 hours per day, still couldn't lose weight, and indeed was starting to gain. She said she eventually ended up metabolically damaged and credits IF with fixing her metabolism and making her muscular and lean. She does eat carbs with her meals as she believes they help her with satiety and cravings for the following fast day, although she's pretty much into faux cakes/desserts which I avoid, but still she's very motivational and if anyone needs a little bit of push and encouragement I highly recommend checking her out.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
i started JUDDD october 15th 2013. i had been doing LC since the birth of my second baby and went from 171 to 137 in a year. i then got majorily stuck for a year at 137 doing LC. nothing worked. i was cruising the atkins board when someone asked about JUDDD and they were directed to this board. i read many many many posts and here i am, 2.5 months later at 126 lbs. for me, i love that it isn't restricting. i definitely could be eating healthier on my UD's, i am really going to work on that. when i first started, i used my UD's to make up for all the carbs i hadn't eaten for 2 years. healthy? not so much. did i lose weight? YES!! amazingly so, but yes. now that i have sufficiently treated myself to crap food, it is time to focus not only on weight loss, but health as well.

i would LOVE for you to journal about working out and dealing with fasting days. i have always been very physically active, running, yoga, power walking etc. but have found working out on DD's to be an issue for me. share your journey!

and, this is just my opinion, but if you jump back into juddd and find it isn't working so well, there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying ESE to see if it jives better with your body. there are so many people doing so many variations on this board, i think that is way i love it here so much! i am thinking of ESE as maintenance. and the JOY OF JUDDD is you can always come back if nothing else works.

best of luck, whatever you decide!

Colleen- 42 years young

10/15/13 - 137 ---- Started JUDDD
12/3/13 - 128.0
01/02/14 - 125.9
my Goal 115
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for contributing!!

Just to clarify my original concern wasn't about performance gains or anything but rather energy wise before, during and post workout doing 0cal or very low cal (under 100), and any other negative effects such as fatigue, light-headed, nausea because I do lift heavy as I can, which apparently quite a bit. At any rate, I don't think I'll be able to do 0 or very low cal DDs, I tried yesterday and couldn't do it, part of it I think was that I was home all day and it was so cold. I had roughly 500cals and found that I was better able to manage the hunger if I waited as long as possible before eating, but once I started to have small snack throughout the day rather than one meal at the end of the day, because that really triggers hunger to the point of ravenous but I'm going to keep experimenting.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Thanks everyone for contributing!!

Just to clarify my original concern wasn't about performance gains or anything but rather energy wise before, during and post workout doing 0cal or very low cal (under 100), and any other negative effects such as fatigue, light-headed, nausea because I do lift heavy as I can, which apparently quite a bit. At any rate, I don't think I'll be able to do 0 or very low cal DDs, I tried yesterday and couldn't do it, part of it I think was that I was home all day and it was so cold. I had roughly 500cals and found that I was better able to manage the hunger if I waited as long as possible before eating, but once I started to have small snack throughout the day rather than one meal at the end of the day, because that really triggers hunger to the point of ravenous but I'm going to keep experimenting.
Both Varady and Johnson quote studies in which a total fast generally led to crabby participants who were not happy with the diet and had a high dropout rate. Under 200 is doable or the best option for some people, but I think it's really important to feel good on what you're doing, or you won't stick with it. Also, working out really does add another dimension. For me, exercising on regular 20-25% DD calories is no problem, but has anyone out there had 100 calories or less regularly and done regular, heavy weight lifting? I think it would be hard. I know for me it is hard to sustain very low calorie DDs when I exercise a lot, and I have personally even stalled attempting this, so be careful that way too.

Varady suggests working out before your main meal on DDs ... that might be something to try?

p.s. fasted workouts are supposed to be great for fat burning. Dr. Mercola recommends them, but followed by protein.

Last edited by calichris; 01-02-2014 at 11:57 AM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I had never ever heard of IF until December 2011 when I was surfing this site looking for a Dukan thread. I had been doing Dukan for the first time since August 1st of that year (and was 27 pounds down) and remembered that a while back there was this great LCF board where I was hanging out with the Stillmanites. (I had lost 55 pounds as a teen when Stillman's first book came out and I kept it off for 40 years. Menopause kicked my butt and that's when I gained it all back. After 40 years! What a bummer!)

Stillman's plan worked great when I could stick to it. But that was my problem. I couldn't stick to it for more than a couple of weeks in my menopause years and then the weight would pop right back on.

I started reading all the JUDD posts and was blown away. I bought Dr. J's book and was intrigued. That's how I ended up here.

2013 starting in about April became a miserable year for me for various reason and tragic events. Stress, grief and self-preservation kept me away for many months.

Finally on December 20th I decided to put the yucky year behind me and run back into the open arms of the JUDD BUDDs and here I am. Happy as a clam.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 01-04-2014 at 05:28 PM..
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote