Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Ugh--I've been consulting the "Daily Weigh-Ins" (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/819657-ugh-ive-been-consulting-daily-weigh-ins.html)

Librarygirl 12-30-2013 06:35 AM

Ugh--I've been consulting the "Daily Weigh-Ins"
 
And I've had to go back to JULY to find a starting weight higher than this month.:cry: And that one was inflated because of a weekend of no DDs. It's not like I haven't been trying, but for me it seems like I can *never* take a break or have multiple UDs if I want to lose. The longest I've gone since July without a DD (at a time) was one week at Thanksgiving. I've had 2 UDs in a row occasionally, but not more than once a month--not including December. Really discouraged to see it in writing too...

Carly 12-30-2013 07:07 AM

Do you have any idea of the cause for no losses? Are UDs or DDs too high? Do you track UDs? What were you doing when you were losing well? Are you using the calculated numbers for your current weight? :hugs::hugs::hugs:

gotsomeold 12-30-2013 07:11 AM

Sympathies Cindy!

And firm assurance you will figure it out. All of Carly's questions plus do you have or suspect any food intolerances?

KeirasMom 12-30-2013 07:22 AM

Cindy, I know you've been struggling, and it's no fun. :hugs: For "me" in WLM, I was very, very strict. I just had to be, or I would backslide. I did take maintenance breaks, but they were few and far between. Other than those, I did EOD pretty religiously, and stuck to my UD and DD calories with dogged determination. I know you need a little more freedom than that, but maybe you could come up with some sort of compromise. Maybe do two months EOD with no deviation, then a weekend blowout or something?

Flutter 12-30-2013 07:53 AM

Hey, Cin!!! I know I'm MIA over here right now (but I'll be back!!! just busy holidays ATM!), but I wanted to give you big hugs and reassure you it will get better. Were your Dec goals to LOSE or try to maintain this month? I saw 130 on the scale this morning and I haven't seen that since August. You know why I saw it? I had 2 UDs in a row then a higher than normal DD yesterday. <gasp!> It's just a reminder to me that I need to keep things in gear day in and out to maintain what I've worked hard to lose. No need to panic, just bust back in to strict WLM for January and things will go back down. I KNOW you can do this!!!! If you've been doing that already, post, post, post and we can all put our heads together to figure out how to get you where you want to be!!!! XOXO LOVE YOU!!!!! Merry Merry, Happy Happy sweet friend! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!! :heart: DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP!!!!!!!!

handbells 12-30-2013 08:08 AM

Cindy-that was me. In fact, when I first started, I was gaining a lot of weight after both UD's and DD's. I have finally accepted the fact that while I am in weight loss mode I have to be very picky about I can and can not eat. Once I am where I want to be I know I will be able to enjoy myself on occasion, but until then I have to do what works for me to see results.

Believe me, I fully understand your frustration. You can do this!

oceania 12-30-2013 09:20 AM

LibraryGirl - I think this is fairly normal/common, it just means you have to change things up because your body has been accustomed to it - our bodies are very good at adapting fairly quickly so that means we constantly have to switch things up. That may be fewer/higher calories, changing the foods, etc. Start playing around with it but I think it's important not to use the scale as an indicator - look at your clothes. Are the tighter, loser, the same? And base this on when you wear them in the morning, not late in the evening because we tend to be more bloated towards the end of the day.

The important part is that you're aware of this, it's better than ignoring that things aren't progressing as you would like and then end up gaining.

Librarygirl 12-30-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16733825)
Do you have any idea of the cause for no losses? Are UDs or DDs too high? Do you track UDs? What were you doing when you were losing well? Are you using the calculated numbers for your current weight? :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I do track UDs now, but I haven't always. And, I have never lost "well". I started in June 2012 at 207 lbs and started a low calorie diet on my own. By Sept. I had lost 4 lbs and I joined LCF at 204. In two months on LC, I lost down to 198 (6 lbs), and then I started JUDDD in Nov. 2012. By July 2013, 8 months later, I had lost an additional 20 lbs., so about 2.5 lbs a month. Since then I've gone as low as 171, which is 36 lbs from my starting weight. I'm grateful for that, but not happy with the struggle to go lower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16733830)
Sympathies Cindy!

And firm assurance you will figure it out. All of Carly's questions plus do you have or suspect any food intolerances?

I am intolerant of calories. :D I don't really know, Nancy, but I am in perimenopause and I feel like that could have something to do with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16733844)
Cindy, I know you've been struggling, and it's no fun. :hugs: For "me" in WLM, I was very, very strict. I just had to be, or I would backslide. I did take maintenance breaks, but they were few and far between. Other than those, I did EOD pretty religiously, and stuck to my UD and DD calories with dogged determination. I know you need a little more freedom than that, but maybe you could come up with some sort of compromise. Maybe do two months EOD with no deviation, then a weekend blowout or something?

I guess I have shown that I wanted more freedom than the strictest of JUDDDers, and maybe that has been the bane of my unsuccessful months. I definitely need to stick with strict rotations and count religiously, because I have proven over and over to myself that I cannot and will not lose on hope alone, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by handbells (Post 16733898)
Cindy-that was me. In fact, when I first started, I was gaining a lot of weight after both UD's and DD's. I have finally accepted the fact that while I am in weight loss mode I have to be very picky about I can and can not eat. Once I am where I want to be I know I will be able to enjoy myself on occasion, but until then I have to do what works for me to see results.

Believe me, I fully understand your frustration. You can do this!

I'm not gaining lots of weight, but I'm not losing lots either lol. I always go down after DDs, but just not dropping the weight like I see some others doing, even when I count every mouthful. However, I haven't stuck to counting religiously and never going over for months at a time yet. I guess that's what I'll have to do, or just accept being overweight/obese.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceania (Post 16734001)
LibraryGirl - I think this is fairly normal/common, it just means you have to change things up because your body has been accustomed to it - our bodies are very good at adapting fairly quickly so that means we constantly have to switch things up. That may be fewer/higher calories, changing the foods, etc. Start playing around with it but I think it's important not to use the scale as an indicator - look at your clothes. Are the tighter, loser, the same? And base this on when you wear them in the morning, not late in the evening because we tend to be more bloated towards the end of the day.

The important part is that you're aware of this, it's better than ignoring that things aren't progressing as you would like and then end up gaining.

That's the last thing I want to do--gain back what I've lost. I do feel like I've gotten smaller a little bit--inches wise, but that's not enough to compensate for the fact that I'm not markedly making any real progress. I'll have to work harder, count religiously and then hope for results.

This losing weight thing is HARD!:stars:

Librarygirl 12-30-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flutter (Post 16733884)
Hey, Cin!!! I know I'm MIA over here right now (but I'll be back!!! just busy holidays ATM!), but I wanted to give you big hugs and reassure you it will get better. Were your Dec goals to LOSE or try to maintain this month? I saw 130 on the scale this morning and I haven't seen that since August. You know why I saw it? I had 2 UDs in a row then a higher than normal DD yesterday. <gasp!> It's just a reminder to me that I need to keep things in gear day in and out to maintain what I've worked hard to lose. No need to panic, just bust back in to strict WLM for January and things will go back down. I KNOW you can do this!!!! If you've been doing that already, post, post, post and we can all put our heads together to figure out how to get you where you want to be!!!! XOXO LOVE YOU!!!!! Merry Merry, Happy Happy sweet friend! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!! :heart: DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Flutter.:hugs:You are so sweet and supportive, GF.:love: I'm not giving up, ever. Even if it means I'll stay the same, which is doubtful, if I do the right thing. I just have to be more diligent and all that goes with that. Love ya!:heart:

KeirasMom 12-30-2013 10:52 AM

Ah, peri-menopause is likely the culprit! I've heard/read over and over that even the strictest of dieters can only hope to maintain when that evil B raises her ugly head. I'm NOT looking forward to that. :annoyed: No advice on that front here, sorry.

calichris 12-30-2013 11:53 AM

:hugs:

I think a lot about the sweet spot between what is too strict and too loose for each of us, not only physically but mentally. I think it's a little bit different for everyone. There's people who I admire, but I know their way of making JUDDD work for them is not a fit for me and my lifestyle and personality.

I love that I don't have to be perfect on this diet ... but I do need to observe when I've made so many exceptions that I've stopped my losses. I crossed the line this fall, :D but I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do to get back in losing mode ... without feeling like I have to be perfect.

Also, this is a tough time to evaluate, because most people are not thrilled with the scale at this time of year, and keep in mind that maintaining your losses -- during perimenopause! -- puts you far ahead of most people. :up:

2014 is going to be a good year!

vanilla_latte 12-30-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16734094)
I guess I have shown that I wanted more freedom than the strictest of JUDDDers, and maybe that has been the bane of my unsuccessful months. I definitely need to stick with strict rotations and count religiously, because I have proven over and over to myself that I cannot and will not lose on hope alone, lol.

I hear ya. I have no advice, just wanted to you to know you ain't alone in your frustrations! There's no other choice but to keep at it. (Remind me of that when I'm ready to run screaming to the hills. :D )

I slid a little over the holidays, but I'm going to do what I did originally when I found JUDDD back in '07. M-W-F Down Days, T-Th-S Up Days, Sun Medium Day, DD at 500 calories. I was a pretty regular exerciser back then and am going to add that back in as I've let that go for far too long.

Hang in there, you can do it! :up:

Planelman 12-30-2013 12:25 PM

When my weight loss rate was its best I was basically eating the same thing every day with the exact same portions. It seems boring but I never had to worry about what I was going to eat and if I was eating more or less. Plus I could prepare many of the meals ahead of time so all I had to do was grab it from the fridge and heat it up. Plus there was never an easy opportunity to get a seconds because I would be eating tomorrows food.

I did this during the week and then the weekend was a little more relaxed on Saturday and then Sunday I would fast until dinner, usually having the standard meal.

I wasn't doing JUDDD with this but I was eating at a fairly high deficit. And it could work the same on JUDDD without the deficit, but eating the same thing on UD's and a different same thing on DD's.

If you gave it a solid month and still didn't see progress then you could try something else. If it worked then do it as long as you can until you reached your goal or come close and then you can mix it up some.

Librarygirl 12-30-2013 01:31 PM

All good ideas, and definitely worth trying. Thank you for all your great input, friends.:hugs:I guess I have maintained pretty well through the month of December (and since July, apparently LOL), so January is loaded with possibility. ;) Here's to a great 2014!:up:

Low Carb Librarian 12-30-2013 06:51 PM

We can do it!!!
Hot Librarians in 2014!!!
:D :hyst:

I wonder if there are enough library workers to start a thread... :hyst:

Librarygirl 12-30-2013 08:15 PM

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ylibrarian.jpg
Me in 2014 :D:cool:

Barbo 12-30-2013 08:53 PM

Love that picture Cindy
 
Love it! You will be ok. Everyone here is rootin' and tootin' for you.

I have surgery tomorrow and promise myself to be back with you all
very soon.

Seabreezes 12-30-2013 09:38 PM

Sending a prayer that everything is OK, Barbro....

Low Carb Librarian 12-30-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16734831)

Hey! How did you get that picture of me!
Darn Internet!
:hyst:

gotsomeold 12-31-2013 12:47 AM

When good hormones go bad...

The whole endocrine system is so complex and everything hormonal is so inter-related. In my N=1, perimenopause/menopause was a time to concentrate on health and balance and maintaining or losing vewwy vewwy slowly. Happily, it passed and, for me, weight loss ability came back rarin' to go.

Keep tuning, keep on keeping on! If the slow-down / stop is hormonal, it will pass. And, in the meantime, you may just find the calorie levels or foods that get you around those dang hormones!

gotsomeold 12-31-2013 12:48 AM

Barbo :aprayer::aprayer::aprayer:

itsmeshelly01 12-31-2013 04:12 AM

I totally feel your pain and am going through the same thing. I was so excited about the 5lbs I lost and then Christmas happened and I had 3 ud's in a row and then a good dd and then 2 more ud's in a row and I have gained it back and more I think. I feel puffy and horrible. And I didn't even that bad. Not like some people do during the holidays.

I am dealing with peri menopause too!!! I have gained 15lbs in the last 1 1/2 years!!! I have finally starting using some progresterone cream and have finally found a gyno. I haven't gone in about 5 yrs and I know that's bad. My body is totally jacked up so I really really feel your pain. Im hoping for a good January!!! I really need to lose some weight. I cant just keep getting bigger and bigger!!!

WE can do this!!!

LoCarbGal 12-31-2013 09:57 AM

I was just talking to my friend yesterday about JUDDD and having to find the balance of what works for you mentally, as well as physically. It can be a struggle to find that, and it's a moving target, in my experience!

Cindy, we're going to do this. I think I've had some diet fatigue again here at the end of the year, and part of that is that my losses have slowed down so much. I'm in hopes that my "going off plan" for many days in a row now will rev up my metabolism and allow me to start losing well again (thanks for that reference Fluffy_Bunny!). Maybe it'll be the same for you.

I'm actually contemplating not having a DD tomorrow. I KNOW, I KNOW! But one more day isn't going to kill me! There will be some social eating again tomorrow, and I can feel that, while I'm ready to get started again, tomorrow may be a tough day to do it. Still thinking on that one.

In my opinion, Cindy, you have been a real success story. I admire your tenacity and while the losses may have been slow, you're looking fantastic, feeling better, getting compliments, having all sorts of NSVs. I agree that maybe committing to a full month of strict rotations, keeping religiously to your UD and DD numbers might be a really good test of what's going on. If it works and the losses rev up, then there you go. You'll know that's what you have to do to get these last pounds off and relax into maintenance. If not, it'll be time for another tweak. I just have the feeling you'll find that being dogged about sticking to it, like Dawn said, is the key to the kingdom. It has been for me, and I need to get back to it too.

Librarygirl 12-31-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16734868)
Love it! You will be ok. Everyone here is rootin' and tootin' for you.

I have surgery tomorrow and promise myself to be back with you all
very soon.

I hope everything goes well for you.:aprayer::hugs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16734938)
When good hormones go bad...

The whole endocrine system is so complex and everything hormonal is so inter-related. In my N=1, perimenopause/menopause was a time to concentrate on health and balance and maintaining or losing vewwy vewwy slowly. Happily, it passed and, for me, weight loss ability came back rarin' to go.

Keep tuning, keep on keeping on! If the slow-down / stop is hormonal, it will pass. And, in the meantime, you may just find the calorie levels or foods that get you around those dang hormones!

I am definitely in peri menopause, with no TOM in nearly 8 months, and similar stats last year. What I have found over the last few days is that I can maintain at around 2000 calories, and I have also found myself hungry at that level. If I eat to satisfaction (which I have done more than I'd like to admit), it's around 3000 some days.:eek:And that's not bingeing or overeating per se either. It's possible I may need to go lower carb again in order to get satiety AND lower calories. I despise having to watch my diet AND diet lol. However, the other option may be no losses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 16734982)
I totally feel your pain and am going through the same thing. I was so excited about the 5lbs I lost and then Christmas happened and I had 3 ud's in a row and then a good dd and then 2 more ud's in a row and I have gained it back and more I think. I feel puffy and horrible. And I didn't even that bad. Not like some people do during the holidays.

I am dealing with peri menopause too!!! I have gained 15lbs in the last 1 1/2 years!!! I have finally starting using some progresterone cream and have finally found a gyno. I haven't gone in about 5 yrs and I know that's bad. My body is totally jacked up so I really really feel your pain. Im hoping for a good January!!! I really need to lose some weight. I cant just keep getting bigger and bigger!!!

WE can do this!!!

Yes we can!! I am committed, and want this year to be THE one that gets it done.:up::high5:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16735433)
I was just talking to my friend yesterday about JUDDD and having to find the balance of what works for you mentally, as well as physically. It can be a struggle to find that, and it's a moving target, in my experience!

Cindy, we're going to do this. I think I've had some diet fatigue again here at the end of the year, and part of that is that my losses have slowed down so much. I'm in hopes that my "going off plan" for many days in a row now will rev up my metabolism and allow me to start losing well again (thanks for that reference Fluffy_Bunny!). Maybe it'll be the same for you.

I'm actually contemplating not having a DD tomorrow. I KNOW, I KNOW! But one more day isn't going to kill me! There will be some social eating again tomorrow, and I can feel that, while I'm ready to get started again, tomorrow may be a tough day to do it. Still thinking on that one.

In my opinion, Cindy, you have been a real success story. I admire your tenacity and while the losses may have been slow, you're looking fantastic, feeling better, getting compliments, having all sorts of NSVs. I agree that maybe committing to a full month of strict rotations, keeping religiously to your UD and DD numbers might be a really good test of what's going on. If it works and the losses rev up, then there you go. You'll know that's what you have to do to get these last pounds off and relax into maintenance. If not, it'll be time for another tweak. I just have the feeling you'll find that being dogged about sticking to it, like Dawn said, is the key to the kingdom. It has been for me, and I need to get back to it too.

Thank you, Carol, for your unwavering support. You are the epitome of success in the dieting world, and one needs look no further for an example.:hugs:I know I need to knuckle down and follow the plan as it's meant to be, and I will achieve the awesome results you have found. I just needed (another) wake up call lol. Enjoy your much-deserved break!:love:

Joyjoy 12-31-2013 10:40 AM

Man, I have not always loved the wake up calls. I feel for you, and feel certain you will be successful.

handbells 12-31-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16734094)



I am intolerant of calories. :D I don't really know, Nancy, but I am in perimenopause and I feel like that could have something to do with it.



I guess I have shown that I wanted more freedom than the strictest of JUDDDers, and maybe that has been the bane of my unsuccessful months. I definitely need to stick with strict rotations and count religiously, because I have proven over and over to myself that I cannot and will not lose on hope alone, lol.



I'm not gaining lots of weight, but I'm not losing lots either lol. I always go down after DDs, but just not dropping the weight like I see some others doing, even whenin I count every mouthful. However, I haven't stuck to counting religiously and never going over for months at a time yet. I guess that's what I'll have to do, or just accept being overweight/obese.



I too, am in perimenopause. Early too, as I am in my 40's. I found that I really had to tweak my UD calories from the calculator in order to lose. When I ate to the calories given to me, I would either gain or keep losing the same pound over and over. It was very frustrating!

I had to bite the bullet and realize that while other people can eat what they want, I can not. There are foods that I have eliminated completely out of my diet and some that I will now eat very, very rarely.

I definitely feel so much better than I have in a long time and I feel that I do have more energy (not something I felt previously).

You can do this! You just need to find what works for you!

Joyjoy 12-31-2013 01:09 PM

:goodpost:

mafiamom 01-02-2014 06:47 AM

since i am a totally newbie compared to everyone else, i can't really comment. my advice is - can you throw a new and different exercise in there? i bought a HRM (heart rate monitor) and it was a huge motivator for me. it not only shows me how many EXACT calories i am burning during a workout, but what % of my workout was in the fatburning stage as opposed to the fitness stage. you might like to know that the fat burning range, is a very slow walk LOL!!

also, have you had your thyroid levels tested recently?

good luck, girl. keep at it. you know it works. you lost a goodly amount with this WOE! just need to stick with it as strictly as you possibly can and let it work for you. :hugs:

Librarygirl 01-02-2014 08:34 AM

Thanks, Colleen. I don't really exercise except to walk my dogs in the mornings--about 1/2-1 mile. We walk pretty slowly, compared to fitness walking, so maybe I am burning lots of fat lol. I need to start exercising more, but I won't make any rash declarations. :D

I have had my thyroid checked many times and have always been told it's well within normal ranges. I brought up the fact that it might be lower in some areas (as I read online--can't remember the exact wording), and the doctor said mine was too normal to even test those other areas. Whatever that means.

The truth of the matter is, I am getting older--I will be 50 in April. I spent most of my life with a pretty good metabolism, but began to put on this weight in my late 30s. Plus, I've always had a HUGE appetite. Put slower metabolism/huge appetite/peri menopause together and you've got me, lol.

I truly believe if I stick with my calorie limits, I will lose. I'm going to give it a determined try before I consider there might be other things going on to hinder weight loss...I have been eating over my limits most of my weight-loss journey, and that probably accounts for the general lack of success. ;)

Kissa 01-02-2014 11:03 AM

Oh Cindy, you know the answer really, you just wrote it. But none of us does what we know we should do all the time...

We all just enjoy food too much or why would we ever need to 'diet'. Darn food.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 PM.