Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceania
Stats: 158/155.5/145 32%/28%/24% BF; 5'9
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sep 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Thanks, Colleen. I don't really exercise except to walk my dogs in the mornings--about 1/2-1 mile. We walk pretty slowly, compared to fitness walking, so maybe I am burning lots of fat lol. I need to start exercising more, but I won't make any rash declarations.
fat loss is 90% diet. Exercise is important for other reasons but not really needed for fat loss

Quote:
I have had my thyroid checked many times and have always been told it's well within normal ranges. I brought up the fact that it might be lower in some areas (as I read online--can't remember the exact wording), and the doctor said mine was too normal to even test those other areas. Whatever that means.
Arghh!! This drives me nuts!! I've been hypothyroid since I was 13 and blindly followed what my doctor told me. Only about 2 years did I start researching and advocating for myself. Even though results were in the normal range, I continued to have the =symptoms while on Synthyroid. It was only when I told my doctor I wanted to go on desiccated thyroid and to test my free T4 and T3 (they only test TsH which is not accurate) that I started feeling better.

Long story short, demand from your doctor that they test your T4 and T3 (not just your TSH), also get your iron tested- most likely your T3 is low. If it is, don't go on Synthyroid, go on dessicated. Most doctors will just put you on synthryoid no questions asked, my doc didn't even know about dessicated thyroid. Doctors just go by the textbook - that's it. I've been going back and forth my doctor about this for almost 2 years. He's now saying I'm hyperthyroid even though I'm finally feeling better. I told him I have to go by my body and how I feel, not what the tests show but I did agree to lower my dosage. Every time I don't feel good, I noticed my T3 is off.
oceania is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I just posted a long reply which got sucked up into internet hell, lol. Long story short--I did ask about T3 and T4 testing, and my doctor seemed to think I would be in the lower range of normal with the standard test if either of those were a problem? Plus, it was going to be costly, so I decided to forego the test.

What would make you think that it might be a problem for me, other than slow weight loss? I have also suffered from Alopecia Areata (although suffering is a strong word--no pain, but hair loss) and intermittant depression that started about the same time I started gaining weight. I'm not sure if it was age-related, stress, or actually a thyroid problem...I think one of my sisters actually has hyperthyroidism, but I'm not certain. I really don't want to get on a medication, but if it was necessary for my long-term health, etc., I guess I would consider it.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceania View Post
fat loss is 90% diet. Exercise is important for other reasons but not really needed for fat loss

Arghh!! This drives me nuts!! I've been hypothyroid since I was 13 and blindly followed what my doctor told me. Only about 2 years did I start researching and advocating for myself. Even though results were in the normal range, I continued to have the =symptoms while on Synthyroid. It was only when I told my doctor I wanted to go on desiccated thyroid and to test my free T4 and T3 (they only test TsH which is not accurate) that I started feeling better.

Long story short, demand from your doctor that they test your T4 and T3 (not just your TSH), also get your iron tested- most likely your T3 is low. If it is, don't go on Synthyroid, go on dessicated. Most doctors will just put you on synthryoid no questions asked, my doc didn't even know about dessicated thyroid. Doctors just go by the textbook - that's it. I've been going back and forth my doctor about this for almost 2 years. He's now saying I'm hyperthyroid even though I'm finally feeling better. I told him I have to go by my body and how I feel, not what the tests show but I did agree to lower my dosage. Every time I don't feel good, I noticed my T3 is off.
I'm going to gently disagree with you here, just about the Synthroid. I wouldn't advocate NOT trying Synthroid, even if there's a mild T3 reduction. I've had T3 in the low and normal range, and I feel just fine on Synthroid. My Endo has offered me Armour, and I told her I wanted to wait until my symptoms warranted its use. Otherwise, I agree, Cindy, get your thyroid retested, make sure they're going by the current ranges for TSH (0.3-3.0 now, though some labs use the old range of 0.5-5.0). Anything over 3.0 is hypo, under 0.3 is hyper IIRC. Also get your Free T3 and Free T4, and TPO antibodies as well.

Hair loss, depression, weight control issues --- all signs of thyroid disease.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What would make you think that it might be a problem for me, other than slow weight loss?
I'm not saying you have thyroid issue, I'm suggesting to have the T3 and T4 tested because you mentioned in another post:

I have had my thyroid checked many times and have always been told it's well within normal ranges. I brought up the fact that it might be lower in some areas (as I read online--can't remember the exact wording), and the doctor said mine was too normal to even test those other areas. Whatever that means.

I only suggested it because of the above comment. That and because many people are mis or under diagnosed for hypothryroidism because generally TSH is the only indicator used. My TSH was in the normal range and both T4 and T3 were completely out of range (I have to look up my exact numbers). Now they are and I soooo much better.

There's a lot of information on the net about this now - Stop the Thyroid Madness is a good starting point. Also these forums are good too: Thyroid Disorders Message Board & Forum Discussions - HealthBoards

I forgot in the US you have to pay tests and stuff. I would suggest doing more research on your own and if you're finding you have many of the symptoms, it might be a worthwhile investment to have your free T3 and T4 checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm going to gently disagree with you here, just about the Synthroid. I wouldn't advocate NOT trying Synthroid, even if there's a mild T3 reduction. I've had T3 in the low and normal range, and I feel just fine on Synthroid. My Endo has offered me Armour, and I told her I wanted to wait until my symptoms warranted its use. Otherwise, I agree, Cindy, get your thyroid retested, make sure they're going by the current ranges for TSH (0.3-3.0 now, though some labs use the old range of 0.5-5.0). Anything over 3.0 is hypo, under 0.3 is hyper IIRC. Also get your Free T3 and Free T4, and TPO antibodies as well.

Hair loss, depression, weight control issues --- all signs of thyroid disease.
Out of curiousness, why did you choose Synthyroid over Armour? I really wish I had your endocrinologist (see below) !!! My biggest reasons were a) it wasn't working for me b) dessicated is a natural product and I'm trying really hard to only consume things that are as natural (process and chemical free) as possible. The other reason why I suggested it for LibraryGirl is because her TSH is coming up normal so if her T3 is off, I think dessicated thyroid may be a better option ...but that's just my opinion which I formulated based on what I've researched and my personal experience so it definitely may not be applicable.

All I know is everyone is different and it's really important we all do our own research and advocate for ourselves, and not rely solely on what doctors tell you - especially general practioners. It may also require some experimentation of different meds and doses.

My family doctor sent me to a endocrinologist because he didn't know enough about treating me with dessicated thyroid. The endocrinologist ridiculed me for researching on the internet and refused to treat me until I went back on synthyroid even though I told her all the issues I had when I was on for so many years and that I feel 100% on dessicated. Just incredible to get such an ignorant response...she was on such a power trip.

Last edited by oceania; 01-03-2014 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceania View Post
I'm not saying you have thyroid issue, I'm suggesting to have the T3 and T4 tested because you mentioned in another post:

I only suggested it because of the above comment. That and because many people are mis or under diagnosed for hypothryroidism because generally TSH is the only indicator used. My TSH was in the normal range and both T4 and T3 were completely out of range (I have to look up my exact numbers). Now they are and I soooo much better.

There's a lot of information on the net about this now - Stop the Thyroid Madness is a good starting point. Also these forums are good too: Thyroid Disorders Message Board & Forum Discussions - HealthBoards

I forgot in the US you have to pay tests and stuff. I would suggest doing more research on your own and if you're finding you have many of the symptoms, it might be a worthwhile investment to have your free T3 and T4 checked.

Out of curiousness, why did you choose Synthyroid over Armour? I really wish I had your endocrinologist (see below) !!! My biggest reasons were a) it wasn't working for me b) dessicated is a natural product and I'm trying really hard to only consume things that are as natural (process and chemical free) as possible. The other reason why I suggested it for LibraryGirl is because her TSH is coming up normal so if her T3 is off, I think dessicated thyroid may be a better option ...but that's just my opinion which I formulated based on what I've researched and my personal experience so it definitely may not be applicable.

All I know is everyone is different and it's really important we all do our own research and advocate for ourselves, and not rely solely on what doctors tell you - especially general practioners. It may also require some experimentation of different meds and doses.

My family doctor sent me to a endocrinologist because he didn't know enough about treating me with dessicated thyroid. The endocrinologist ridiculed me for researching on the internet and refused to treat me until I went back on synthyroid even though I told her all the issues I had when I was on for so many years and that I feel 100% on dessicated. Just incredible to get such an ignorant response...she was on such a power trip.
Unfortunately, most doctors these days are underinformed about TD. Mine is willing to treat based on labs AND symptoms, which is great, and which is why she was willing to put me on Armour. My TSH had been good with generic levothyroxine, but I was still having symptoms, and my T3 was slightly low. She offered to put me on Armour at that time, but wanted me to try brand name Synthroid first. She said some patients respond better to the brand name over the generic (and vice versa) and to try it out for 6 weeks and see if I noticed any difference. And I DID. It wasn't a remarkable difference, but it was enough that I figured I'd give it another 6 weeks or so and then decide. Well, after the second 6 weeks, I felt pretty "normal" whatever that means. My T3 is also testing normal now. I don't know if that's because the Synthroid is working better in my body than the generic was, or if it's just a natural fluctuation, but I feel good with the Synthroid and I'd rather keep Armour in my back pocket until I "really" need it, if that makes sense.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
i was on armour before i requested synthroid. i have a very alternative medical background and wanted to stay as natural as possible. i was finding that i was getting inconsistent results with armour. i'm not sure why but from some research i think it may have been due to the fact that since it IS natural, there is some variation in it's hormonal properties from batch to batch. whatever the issue, everything cleared up when i went on synthroid. hypo runs in my family, so i was diligent in being tested and found it very early on.

other symptoms of hypothyroid (hyper is totally different and does not involve weight gain, but rather the opposite) are thickening of the skin on the bottoms of the feet, loss of the lateral aspect of your eyebrows (how's that for weird??) extreme cold (this is a hard one for those of us who get chills on DD's) extreme fatigue, especially as the day goes on. there are others, but they are usually only noticeable when hypo is very severe.

you could very well have a healthy functioning thyroid. i thru it out there as just a possibility to why your weight loss may be less then stellar.

Colleen- 42 years young

10/15/13 - 137 ---- Started JUDDD
12/3/13 - 128.0
01/02/14 - 125.9
my Goal 115
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Unfortunately, most doctors these days are underinformed about TD. Mine is willing to treat based on labs AND symptoms, which is great, and which is why she was willing to put me on Armour. My TSH had been good with generic levothyroxine, but I was still having symptoms, and my T3 was slightly low. She offered to put me on Armour at that time, but wanted me to try brand name Synthroid first. She said some patients respond better to the brand name over the generic (and vice versa) and to try it out for 6 weeks and see if I noticed any difference. And I DID. It wasn't a remarkable difference, but it was enough that I figured I'd give it another 6 weeks or so and then decide. Well, after the second 6 weeks, I felt pretty "normal" whatever that means. My T3 is also testing normal now. I don't know if that's because the Synthroid is working better in my body than the generic was, or if it's just a natural fluctuation, but I feel good with the Synthroid and I'd rather keep Armour in my back pocket until I "really" need it, if that makes sense.
i didn't do as well on the generic either! so strange, as it's SUPPOSED to be the same stuff.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

It's so interesting how we all respond so differently! I think was on levothyroxine when I was younger and was switched to Synthyroid. I'm actually soooo amazed that both of you were put on or encouraged to take dessicated over levothyroxine/synthyroid...I have the complete opposite experience where I'm almost fighting to stay on dessicated...lol. I think it's so great they're looking at the symptom as well as the results. My symptoms have been completely ignored.

I'm trying to find what the difference is between Armour and dessicated thyroid ...I'm not sure Armour is available here. I think it's just a brand difference as far as I can tell.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
i was on armour before i requested synthroid. i have a very alternative medical background and wanted to stay as natural as possible. i was finding that i was getting inconsistent results with armour. i'm not sure why but from some research i think it may have been due to the fact that since it IS natural, there is some variation in it's hormonal properties from batch to batch. whatever the issue, everything cleared up when i went on synthroid. hypo runs in my family, so i was diligent in being tested and found it very early on.

other symptoms of hypothyroid (hyper is totally different and does not involve weight gain, but rather the opposite) are thickening of the skin on the bottoms of the feet, loss of the lateral aspect of your eyebrows (how's that for weird??) extreme cold (this is a hard one for those of us who get chills on DD's) extreme fatigue, especially as the day goes on. there are others, but they are usually only noticeable when hypo is very severe.

you could very well have a healthy functioning thyroid. i thru it out there as just a possibility to why your weight loss may be less then stellar.
I do have thick callouses on the bottom of my feet and have dealt with that for years and years. I thought it was just my feet, or the way I walk or something. There's so many "instruments" out there for that type of thing, I figured it must be fairly common, although I rarely see anyone in real life with a problem as noticeable as mine. My eyebrows have not gone wonky yet, but I hope that never happens!

ETA: What can happen besides these issues I'm already experiencing without treatment?

Last edited by Librarygirl; 01-03-2014 at 09:12 AM..
Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #40

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
It sounds to me as if you need to take this forward Cindy. I hope it isn't too expensive to get the tests done and if necessary se a good Endocrinologist.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #41

Quote:
I do have thick callouses on the bottom of my feet and have dealt with that for years and years. I thought it was just my feet, or the way I walk or something. There's so many "instruments" out there for that type of thing, I figured it must be fairly common, although I rarely see anyone in real life with a problem as noticeable as mine. My eyebrows have not gone wonky yet, but I hope that never happens!

ETA: What can happen besides these issues I'm already experiencing without treatment?
"IF" it's related to your thyroid, and that's a big "IF," symptoms can vary from person to person and can remain mild, or get pretty severe. When I was finally diagnosed, my core body temperature was in the hypothermic range, and my brain function was affected. I waited so long that I have permanent damage now (aphasia which hasn't reversed, even with normalized hormone readings now), and my Raynaud's which hasn't been bad ever has gotten really bad. I currently have 5 ulcers on my my hands and 5 more chilblains which haven't ulcerated. These are just MY issues. Others have different problems. I second the recommendation to go to stopthethyroidmadness and read up, or just Google thyroid disease symptoms.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

I may consult a doctor's office today, to see my options, etc. I don't really have issues with being cold, except on DD's, and when it is actually cold lol. I was always hot, in fact, when I was over 200 lbs and looked forward to winter every year.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

the thyroid is a very important little organ. it's hormones regulate every metabolic process in the body. it controls every cell in our bodies and how these tissues utilize oxygen to the organs. if you don't have enough, your bodily functions slow down. maybe imperceptively, maybe obviously, depending on the severity. if you have too much, all processes speed up - which is very hard on the heart. ie - constipation is common in hypo just as diarrhea is common in hyper (hyper as in toooo active). it is core to our organs functioning at optimal levels and i am VERY glad it can be regulated when it goes wonky! thankful for my thyroid meds LOL!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

i am so not trying to scare you! this may have absolutely nothing at all to do with your thyroid. personally, i think everyone should get their T3 and T4 levels checked out just like we do our cholesterol. it's good to have a baseline and good to keep an eye on it. i dont think docs keep a close enough eye on these levels. but that's JMO.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
i didn't do as well on the generic either! so strange, as it's SUPPOSED to be the same stuff.
I work in the psychiatric field and have seen over the years that some generic medications do not control symptoms as well as the brand name and occasionally vice versa. There are also many "branded" generics and all generics are not equal. Some generics- say for Desyrel (Brand name) have different side effects. They are all Trazadone, but each "brand" of Trazadone works a bit differently or has different side effects.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

interesting, Carly. thanks for the feedback. i think that is good information to have.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #47
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
No problem!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote