Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceania
Stats: 158/155.5/145 32%/28%/24% BF; 5'9
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sep 21, 2013
Checking in + grounding needed

Hi all - it's been a while since I posted but I login every so often. I need a space where I share with others who are going through the same thing so I hope you don't mind listening/reading me.

I started JUDDD back in October to lose the last 10lbs (I lost 60lbs + doing Dr. B). I was never a really strict JUDDD follower - didn't really measure food or count calories however I managed to lose 3-4lbs of stubborn fat and got to the lowest weight as an adult (wearing size 6!). However, I didn't make much of an attempt to go lower because of all the social stuff (Thanksgiving, Halloween, xmas) plus the stresses of school and work, I kept saying in January I will lose the remaining and just to maintain until new years. I have been able to maintain my weight for the most part up until last week but as of this morning I'm up 10-11lbs -I know it's mostly water weight but there's probably a good 3-5lbs of fat - I haven't practiced any DD in almost a week.

I'm back at JUDDD again and I'm fairly confident that I will get back to my weight within 3 DDs because I've only been off for the last week but this time want to do it properly but oh boy do I have a food hangover!! I have to retrain my mind and body again but just seems so hard this time. Just wondering how others deal? I rely heavily on drinking lots of liquids - water, coffee and tea but I need milk/cream in my tea/coffee on DDs and keep telling myself I'm supposed to feel hungry and be starving on DDs in order for this eating lifestyle to work (I decided this is going to be my WOE for life, I love this WOE).

I'm thinking I probably need to reset my system and do the 2 week induction again...going down to 500 cals is going to be hard. I can't believe I did it the first time around, it seems almost impossible but I'm so determined especially since some of my clothes are fitting tight and I no longer feel tight and light, but rather big and gross.

On another note, I have continued working out religiously (weights, cardio and yoga) and I can see an amazing transformation in my body my cardio health, flexibility, strength and tone/definition (aside from my tummy), so I'm really pleased about that but it's so weird for me that people (who knew me when I was fat and also those who have only known me since the weight loss) call me slim, thin and slender...I still don't see it. I still don't see a slim person in the mirror, I don't see myself as fat necessarily but definitely not slim ...more like chubby, all I see is my huge tummy which has shrunk significantly but I still have a bit of spare tire. I know that once I lose the 10lbs it'll probably be gone. I wonder if my mind will ever catch up to my body. How do others deal or do you still see yourself that way?

I've also realized that I still haven't managed to establish a healthy relationship with food. I still continue to emotionally eat, meaning I eat "junk" on my UD even when I'm not hungry - I hate that I do that. I just stuff it in because it's an UD and I won't be able to a DD. Part of the problem is that I eat whatever I want on a UD and I eat a lot of high calorie food (a lot of chips and chocolate) but still manage to maintain so I've told myself that it's ok to continuing this way because now I know how to maintain - really bad message I'm sending to myself.

Apologies for rambling but I needed a space to write this out to acknowledge to myself what I'm doing so I can work on it and hopefully can some insights from others.

Hope you all had a wonderful xmas!
oceania is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
back to the JUDDD WOE

My DH thinks that after weight loss, some people still perceive a higher body mass/image for themselves, almost in the same way as some amputees experience phantom limb. They still move as if they have more body mass and when they see themselves, they see more body mass than others do. but it does chime with some people's experience.

Huzzah on the exercise. Commiserations on the emotional eating and attachment to junk items.

I hope that you and JUDDD settle down nicely together. Several people here returned to JUDDD after a break (including me) and found that the 2nd time, it 'gelled'.

Good luck.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Sounds like you're doing great and have an excellent plan, Oceania. I have been having trouble getting back on board, and decided to wait until the first of January to really hit it. I'm at peace with that decision and am enjoying having some things that will be "forbidden" for a little while early in the year.

Good for you sticking with your exercise routine. I really want to try doing Callanetics again in the new year. I felt so firm and toned when I did it before, and back then I still had a much thicker layer of fat on top of those muscles, so I'm looking forward to really being able to see and feel that this time around.

We're going to make 2014 a really great year!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
Sounds like a plan! I too have been trying to get back into working out but my mind always seems to find exuses not to. (don't want to go to the pool because I don't want to go outside with wet hair, don't want to go to the gym because it's too cold outside, etc.) After the first of the year and my work schedules get back to normal I want to swim 3 days a week and do a yoga or pilates class at the gym twice a week. And after the holidays I will be able to get my food intake in check too. No more pigging out on UD's. (easier said than done lol)
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
So glad you decided to post, Oceania. It's really good therapy to lay it all out and you came to the right place because a lot of us can relate so well to everything you said.

I think you are on the right tract about doing the two weeks of 500 calorie DDs. Dr. J seemed to say that it takes at least that long to get those magic sirtuins working.

I just started up again after a long, long break and it's only been a week for me. Of course with the holidays, I've been messing up some of my DDs, but I'm anxious to hang in there because I believe in the benefits of activating SIRT 1. Right now I can't feel any of the benefits of it, so I know it's not built up enough in my system yet.

Your emotional eating will probably work itself out as you get fully into WLM. When you realize that every UD is not a "Last Supper" kind of thing and that you can have more of whatever you are craving in a couple of days because no food is banned, you will settle down.

Good luck to you and to me and to all of us in the coming year!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support, it really does make a huge difference to have a wonderful support system!!

On the topic of working out, I've been working out for years and years and to be quite honest, it didn't do much difference for me in terms of fat loss and you couldn't see any definition not until I lost the last 20lbs and now all hard work is showing because the layer of fat is gone.

People (well mostly women) always ask me what I do or that I must be working out, I always tell them it's not workout but your eating. I really believe (at least for me) it's 90% if not 95% eating/diet. I listened to all the "experts" about eating small meals 5x a day with a mix of healthy protein and complex carbs, eating breakfast, etc., working out 5x/week but I continued to gain. I'm not discounting workouts, it's essential especially for cardio health, for firming/toning up, strength, stress release and a whole host of other things but it's not mandatory for fat loss IMHO. I only burn 50cals/10min of intense cardio which is 300cals/hour - that's like a handful of chips! (Most of the cardio machines are way off in terms of calories burned - they double if not triple the numbers.) so I definitely don't do it for the calorie loss but rather how it makes feel.

I also tried the bootcamp fad as well, again that's good if you want to spice things up or challenge yourself but it's not necessarily for fat loss IMHO and often not it actually creates more problems in terms of muscle sprains and what not because often muscles or shortened/tight from sitting all day and then we do extreme workouts...I speak from experience hahaha...I went off on complete tangent here...again!

Anyways, I'm just happy that I've found a realistic and effective way of managing my weight...normally I would be wrapped in fear, guilt, shame and helplessness and would continue eating junk and gain more weight but most of the emotions have significantly subsided since JUDDD but I still have a ways to go- yup I went off the deep end but I forgive and love myself, I didn't undo all my hard work, I just took a temporary break because I needed to learn from this.

These forums are very therapeutic, I feel so much better than when I first posted...thanks everyone!
Old 12-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm flying by, but I just wanted to give you and tell you that your plan for a 2 week induction sounds great.

I agree with what you have posted about cardio. I never factor in any extra calories for exercise. Like you said, I don't burn that much running 3 miles that I can afford to add in extra food. That extra food may happen, but I don't go out of my way to find it due to exercising.

I think a lot of us will be buckling down in 2014!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Count me in for renewed commitment in 2014! I've been maintaining for 2+ months, and I'm ready for some downward progress. We can do it together, Oceania!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:10 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Hello Oceania!

If/when I find the 'just do it' return to DDs very hard or unsuccessful, I just keep tuning my eating and thinking about what I am going to accomplish before each meal. I make each DD a little lower than the one before. And, one day control returns. I think it is a mix a turning on JUDDD Magic a bit at a time and training my mind to expect lower calories on DDs. After vaycays, sometimes it is easy and sometimes it is very gradual.

Also, the mental image thing really is hard and emotional, isn't it? I find I lose perspective and start seeing myself as fat (one day I realized I had actually thought "I look the same now as I did when I started"). When that happens I go to the store and pick up two of the same outfits, one in size 16 (then) and one in size 4 (now). I lay them side by side or the little one on top of the big one and think about the difference. Then, to prove it to myself, I try the little one on.

... which is how I found out some 2's are a better fit

I am sorry you have so much emotional baggage to deal with (I am sorry most of us carry that baggage). Does eating when under stress actually make you feel better? I realized I felt just as stressed after a binge as I did before. Found myself saying that aloud, to tell my body and brain. Gradually I found the subconscious desire to feed stress went away...but, for me, it was a learning process - something I had to teach myself.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-29-2013 at 02:11 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I'm flying by, but I just wanted to give you and tell you that your plan for a 2 week induction sounds great.

I agree with what you have posted about cardio. I never factor in any extra calories for exercise. Like you said, I don't burn that much running 3 miles that I can afford to add in extra food. That extra food may happen, but I don't go out of my way to find it due to exercising.

I think a lot of us will be buckling down in 2014!
Hugs right back at you sista!

And way to go LibraryGirl!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Hello Oceania!

If/when I find the 'just do it' return to DDs very hard or unsuccessful, I just keep tuning my eating and thinking about what I am going to accomplish before each meal. I make each DD a little lower than the one before. And, one day control returns. I think it is a mix a turning on JUDDD Magic a bit at a time and training my mind to expect lower calories on DDs. After vaycays, sometimes it is easy and sometimes it is very gradual.

Also, the mental image thing really is hard and emotional, isn't it? I find I lose perspective and start seeing myself as fat (one day I realized I had actually thought "I look the same now as I did when I started"). When that happens I go to the store and pick up two of the same outfits, one in size 16 (then) and one in size 4 (now). I lay them side by side or the little one on top of the big one and think about the difference. Then, to prove it to myself, I try the little one on.

... which is how I found out some 2's are a better fit

I am sorry you have so much emotional baggage to deal with (I am sorry most of us carry that baggage). Does eating when under stress actually make you feel better? I realized I felt just as stressed after a binge as I did before. Found myself saying that aloud, to tell my body and brain. Gradually I found the subconscious desire to feed stress went away...but, for me, it was a learning process - something I had to teach myself.
That's what I'm planning to do, keep going lower on DD - yesterday I ate a little more than 500 calories because I was getting the shakes. By next week when things return back to normal I should be ok at 500 or perhaps lower ...I'm in awe of people who can manage not to eat anything the whole day. I'm down 2.5lbs from yesterday but was secretly hoping for more. Good news is that I didn't overeat today. I just came home from a carby dinner at my parents and my jeans feel tight ...argh I hate water/bloat weight but I was totally in control of my eating and ate very light during the day because I knew I was going to be going over dinner.

As for your question - I never feel better after emotional eating but yet that doesn't stop me :-P How did you teach yourself? I guess I just need to say no to myself and not give in. Any tips?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:16 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
... I find I lose perspective and start seeing myself as fat (one day I realized I had actually thought "I look the same now as I did when I started"). When that happens I go to the store and pick up two of the same outfits, one in size 16 (then) and one in size 4 (now). I lay them side by side or the little one on top of the big one and think about the difference. Then, to prove it to myself, I try the little one on...
I love this!

Oceania, something I have found helps with getting back into the Down Day after a slip, is to eat A LOT of protein on my Up Days, for a rotation or two. This isn't something I consciously tried, just something I realized after a couple of sashimi feasts made me see a pattern. It might be worth a try, as you are getting back into your 'induction'.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
I love this!

Oceania, something I have found helps with getting back into the Down Day after a slip, is to eat A LOT of protein on my Up Days, for a rotation or two. This isn't something I consciously tried, just something I realized after a couple of sashimi feasts made me see a pattern. It might be worth a try, as you are getting back into your 'induction'.
Thank you! Will try that.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
i too am an emotional eater. can someone please tell me why emotional eating must be chips and chocolate rather than chicken and broccoli???

i never feel good after i emotionally binge. physically i feel crappy and mentally i feel guilty and emotionally i feel fat.

joy.
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
i too am an emotional eater. can someone please tell me why emotional eating must be chips and chocolate rather than chicken and broccoli???

i never feel good after i emotionally binge. physically i feel crappy and mentally i feel guilty and emotionally i feel fat.

joy.
Haha I often wonder the same thing - I try to go for nuts and cheese whenever I can since it's a healthier.

I was starting to get worried because my weight didn't budget for about 3 days but now I'm down 6lbs and feel great! Starting to feel like the old me, light...it's amazing how much water weight can affect you physically and emotionally. I still have another 6lbs of holiday weight before I get back to 155lbs. I can't believe that i went up a little over 12lbs in 2 weeks...crazy how much water my body can hold. Hopefully next week I can start losing some new (well actually old) fat.

Last edited by oceania; 01-02-2014 at 07:59 AM..