Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   What Makes Your Up Days Easier? Spin Off (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/819074-what-makes-your-up-days-easier-spin-off.html)

ouizoid 12-21-2013 10:33 AM

What Makes Your Up Days Easier? Spin Off

For me, it is IF. Up Day or DD I need to wait to eat til around 3pm. I don't always do that, and then I regret it. Something about waiting regulates my eating better than anything and I wish I could remember that consistently!

Carly 12-21-2013 11:16 AM

I agree. If I eat before 1:30pm I always regret it.
I prefer to wait till dinner, but some UDs I have a yogurt around 1:30pm.

I usually get sluggish once I eat and then just want to eat more.

If I can think through how I will feel if I eat it usually helps me wait.

LoCarbGal 12-21-2013 11:43 AM

I agree with that too. Eating makes me hungrier. Nutty!

Planning makes my UD easier. If I plan out what I know I want later in the day (cocktail, whatever I'm planning for dinner), and my coffee/hwc for breakfast, then I can back into what is available for me for lunch and any treats. If I don't plan, I'm toast.

Librarygirl 12-21-2013 01:53 PM

As long as I can save at least 1000 for dinner, I'm usually pretty good. :)

nikki 12-21-2013 02:19 PM

I agree with waiting to eat until later in the day. Weird! Eating even a small amount in the morning or early afternoon makes me ravenously hungry all day long, and it ends up being a huge challenge to my self-control.

gotsomeold 12-21-2013 04:19 PM

I "eat" calories in the form of HWC in coffee or my beloved bone broth or tea. But, DD or UD, it is unusual for me to eat solid food until late afternoon.

AND I am in total agreement that I have to plan my UDs. Approaching eating without a plan means I will either eat way too much or way too little.

Carly 12-21-2013 04:25 PM

I just ate for the first time today and it was after 7:15pm. I felt great all day and now I'm ready for a relaxing evening.

Reminding myself of this on days I want to eat earlier is my best tool.

Yam-Yam 12-21-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16725912)
I just ate for the first time today and it was after 7:15pm. I felt great all day and now I'm ready for a relaxing evening.

Reminding myself of this on days I want to eat earlier is my best tool.

Wow, Carly! 7:15 pm on an UD? Or is this a DD? :notwrthy::notwrthy: You are such a great example.

4devochki 12-22-2013 06:20 AM

I agree with everything here: having a plan, waiting until at least 1 or 2pm to eat. Also, planning especially nice things to eat, to have something to look forward to, and, oddly, backward on (on DDs I can say what great meals I had and how they were so nutritious and satisfying that I'm wholly set for a day of cleansing). Also, if I eat at lunch time, waiting at least 4 or 5 solid hours between that and the next time I sit down for a meal, without nibbling in-between, so that I enjoy my dinner fully.

Also, counting things--getting them down on paper/on the internets as soon as possible after (or preferably before) I eat them. This really helps the residual guilt feelings about eating fatty/more carby/delicious things--I can say "they're counted, they're within my budget, so they're legal and I'm going to enjoy them." This is probably not a problem for most of you but for a newbie with a history of yo-yo dieting (guilt-ridden unconscious eating alternating with ridiculously restrictive diets, lather, rinse, repeat), it is key to distinguish that that is what JUDDD is NOT!

Librarygirl 12-22-2013 06:27 AM

I worry that not eating all day on DD, and then again all the day the next day with only one meal between the next 36-40something hours as a habitual routine might rob the body of nutrients? I don't know. It's just ingrained in me that we need food for nourishment, although I'm completely on board with ADF, obviously. I'd rather not have to rely on synthetic supplements if possible. Is there no reason to worry, and if it works to keep weight off, or to lose, is it something I should be doing, lol?

Carly 12-22-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 16725990)
Wow, Carly! 7:15 pm on an UD? Or is this a DD? :notwrthy::notwrthy: You are such a great example.

Yup- UD.

4devochki 12-22-2013 07:29 AM

I think i remember reading Varady state that her research subjects were tested for nutrient balance and all found to be OK. If you are getting adequate calories, and they are good quality ones, I don't see why it would matter in what frequency of installments they are taken.

Mom2jj 12-22-2013 08:51 AM

How do you eat all your calories on an UD if you don't start till late in day?

LoCarbGal 12-22-2013 08:58 AM

Normally I'll eat a nice lunch and dinner, so I'm not typically cramming it all in late in the day. But there are a few meals that we have occasionally that are pretty calorie intensive, and for those, I'll skimp most of the day to be able to enjoy my cocktail and the meal, and not have to have teeny tiny portions of it. You know, fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, peas and butter. Lasagne, garlic toast with lots of butter. And when I have steak, I like a nice big one with a baked potato w/butter and sour cream. Those add up!

handbells 12-22-2013 12:36 PM

My meals are extremely basic and 9 times out of 10, they are low calorie too. I need to plan ahead and I also need to eat throughout the day (which can be challenging depending on what I am doing). I usually start eating around 10, will have a snack around 3, eat around 6 or 7. I usually have to force myself to eat the snack (most times it's nuts because they are high calorie).

I am looking forward to the day when I can eat freely and allow myself some treats!

Librarygirl 12-22-2013 02:48 PM

I might be dense, but it seems like you would be able to eat *more* treats at a higher weight (now) than when you get to goal.:dunno: I worry that at 135 lbs, I wouldn't be able to eat much at all lol.:o

handbells 12-22-2013 06:07 PM

Cindy-the first time I did JUDDD, I did eat what I wanted. I usually ate to my UD calories (which I think are too high, but I go by the calculator). And I gained. Steadily. I would lose an ounce or two here or there, but I mostly gained. I stuck with it though, and I lost a handful of pounds over several months. Then I stopped losing (no where near goal). I was so frustrated I just said the heck with it. I stopped JUDDDing, but I didn't stop eating what I wanted. Of course, the weight came back. Not all of it, but most of it.

Several months ago, I became aware of not feeling well after I would eat certain foods. So, I went gluten free. I noticed issues with other foods as well, so I eliminated those as well. When I came back to JUDDD, I eliminated a few other foods as well, primarily to get rid of cravings, but also for my health.

While I could make some treats to fit into my new WOE, I'm holding off for now. I'm enjoying my weight loss (I've lost 13 pounds since December 9). I also have a bad history of only eating treats on UD's because I could. I'm really trying hard to break that pattern and use treats on a very limited basis :)

Librarygirl 12-22-2013 07:01 PM

So are you eating low carb now, Jenn? I'm not losing fast either, and I'm eating pretty much whatever I want. I know I could lose faster if I could stick with low carb, but I tried and failed lol. I'd rather keep up with the rotations and just keep trying than anything else right now. Good job on tweaking JUDDD to fit your life!

Sirtain 12-22-2013 08:09 PM

For me, staying low-carb on Up Days is vital, but if I am having carby treats, to have them late in the day, so they don't set off cravings.

handbells 12-22-2013 08:21 PM

Cindy-I'm actually doing primal...basically low carb with no dairy. But I also have issues with red meat and most pork. I can eat chicken as long as it's only a few times a month. I eat a lot of fish. lol

KeirasMom 12-23-2013 08:25 AM

Once again, I'm going to be the odd duck, and in the minority.

I eat an early breakfast on UDs (usually around 6:00 a.m.). I eat carbs. I don't restrict any types of foods or limit them to any particular hours.

What I DO, though, is keep things pretty much routine on UDs AND DDs. I almost always have the same breakfast on UD (Everything bagel with cream cheese and coffee), and I only have a couple of meals I rotate for UD lunches (Banh Mi with Sriracha or a jalapeno turkey burger most often). These are fairly low calorie and allow me to have a great variety for UD dinners. I almost always have between 1000 - 1300 calories left over for dinner. And I use them ALL! :laugh:

handbells 12-23-2013 09:07 AM

Dawn-you are lucky! I have a sensitivity to gluten :(

itsmeshelly01 12-23-2013 09:43 AM

I have been trying to hold off as long as possible on my UD but i find it very difficult. I tend to want a nice big breakfast on my UD. Then I dont eat again until a few hours later. Eating something for breakfast doesnt start me wanting to eat constantly unless i eat carby stuff. Well, sugary stuff really.
If i just stick with a nice big omelet or a low carb muffin i am fine. I am getting better and better at holding off eating on DD's.

So far, im not really counting too much on my UD's. I eat when i'm hungry but i know how to eat. I have been eating healthy and eating lowcarb for so long that it is all i know at this point. I know too much about what is in our foods to give myself too much leeway. So i still keep my UD's basically lowcarb but i am enjoying more fruit now which i am loving.

Now tomorrow, we are going ot golden corral for lunch!! OMG!!
I know i will eat too much but it will probably be all i eat the whole day.

Yam-Yam 12-23-2013 11:20 AM

Today is an UD for me. I'm going to try to hold out as long as possible and then eat chicken and veggies to hold me until dinner.

We are going to an awesome Mexican restaurant for dinner and I want as much freedom as possible.

I have to shop for my Christmas dinner foods and can't decide whether to do it today or tomorrow. If I go today, I'll have tempting foods in the house.

If I go tomorrow it's a DD and I don't like doing it. But tomorrow I would go at 6 a.m. to beat the Christmas Eve shopping crowds. So I will probably be ok because I'm not usually hungry in the mornings unless I have too many carbs for dinner the day before.

I'm still back to learning and remembering what works best for me. I love getting ideas from everyone else. It really helps.

Carly 12-23-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2jj (Post 16726471)
How do you eat all your calories on an UD if you don't start till late in day?

My UD calories are 1,550. If I have 2 cups of coffee during the day I'm down to 1,490. That can be done easily with a yummy dinner and a bedtime snack.

nikki 12-27-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16727619)
My UD calories are 1,550. If I have 2 cups of coffee during the day I'm down to 1,490. That can be done easily with a yummy dinner and a bedtime snack.

If your UD calories are 1550, what are your DD calories? I mean, are you on less than 1000 calories (UD/DD averaged) for maintenance?

My biggest fear is that I will lose all this weight and be stuck having to eat 900 calories (UD/DD averaged) for the rest of my life just to maintain. That's a 300 calorie down day and a 1500 calorie up day - permanently. Ugh

Demonica 12-27-2013 10:12 AM

Still having the UD's turn into UUAD's problem. Trying to reign it in. DD's are fine, I struggle with UD's. I guess I feel that I HAVE to eat on UD's whether I want to or not, whether I'm hungry or not.:confused:

SlowSure 12-27-2013 11:03 AM

Keeping carbohydrate in check makes my UDs easier - it doesn't create desire for things on either UD or DD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikki (Post 16730777)
My biggest fear is that I will lose all this weight and be stuck having to eat 900 calories (UD/DD averaged) for the rest of my life just to maintain. That's a 300 calorie down day and a 1500 calorie up day - permanently. Ugh

I shared that apprehension but in my experience it hasn't been like that. Once I hit my maintenance weight I started increasing my UD kcals by 50kcals per day, tried it for a week, monitoring for gains, and then added in another 50kcals.

I'm now eating more than I was during WLM and maintenance - and in the New Year, I'll experiment with adding in more. Slowly.

adillenal 12-27-2013 11:59 AM

I am back to eating three meals a day on most UD's. Sometimes I am just not hungry but having eggs with cheese or bacon or sausage in the morning helps me stay balanced later in the evening for some reason. BUT if I have an event (rarely) that involves high calorie food I will wait until evening to eat one ginormous meal but that is rare as I said.
Since I am coming off of several UUAD's in a row I am trying to stay lower carb. I had eggs for breakfast but I had a baked sweet potato with lots of butter for lunch. The butter should hold me until dinner today. I put the bags of nuts in the freezer so I won't be dipping my hand into the walnut bag every time I walk through the kitchen too. That should help. Walnuts are not bad for me but the calories count up REAL fast with nuts. I now need to drop 7 pounds to get back to pre Christmas weight. Working on it today too as a lower calorie UD. NO UUAD today for sure.

Librarygirl 12-27-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowSure (Post 16730899)
Keeping carbohydrate in check makes my UDs easier - it doesn't create desire for things on either UD or DD.

I shared that apprehension but in my experience it hasn't been like that. Once I hit my maintenance weight I started increasing my UD kcals by 50kcals per day, tried it for a week, monitoring for gains, and then added in another 50kcals.

I'm now eating more than I was during WLM and maintenance - and in the New Year, I'll experiment with adding in more. Slowly.

I had the same fear as Nikki, and still do lol. I just can't quite get my head around the fact that I could eat as much as I do now, or more, at 40 lbs less and maintain.:confused: It sure would be wonderful though!:clap:

And Nikki, I think Carly does 5:2 (only 2 DDs a week), so she is eating a lot more than what you were thinking. :) Please correct me if I'm wrong, Carly, and I hope you don't mind that I spoke for you.