Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Did anyone see Krista Varady on CBS Good Morning?

I DVR'd it this morning and managed to zip through all the nonsense to see her interview (I'll admit it, I can't stand those shows/people).

I was a little disappointed with their handling of her interview, but it was the typical "How can that be healthy?" and "Why can't people just eat a controlled amount and exercise every day?" Blah, blah, blah.

I know it must be so hard to perform on those type of shows too. I thought she was very poised and confident, but I also thought she missed some golden opportunities to really inform about the benefits of this WOE.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
Here's the clip:

Could alternating diet days trim your waistline? - CBS News
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

BTW, she's kinda geeky!hot.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Interesting ut she didn't get the health advantages across. But it was 3 against 1.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slimming-up
Stats: 180/134/135 5'7"
WOE: Maintenence - 5:2 (as of 3/1/14)
Start Date: 7/7/13 - JUDDD
I found it on Youtube by googling...
It's almost maddening - they are so resistant to anything that challenges mainstream thought on diet and nutrition.

For one thing, they can't do math. Naysayers are so focused on that 500 calorie day - as if in one day your body could begin to slowly starve...

I do agree that she could present the WOE in way that doesn't seem to promote unhealthy eating on the UD. Some people won't be able to get past the book cover showing donuts and pizza... and the idea of junk binging.
I think we can all agree that most people can't do that. It misleads a bit.

I wish she could have focused on the healing health benefits of fasting, and getting the word out here that not only will you not die if you fast, it's better than the constant face feeding they've taught for so long. She did list some benefits rather quickly, but it got lost in the conversation.

She seemed almost apologetic as the interview went on - and in the end, said that it will work for "some people", as an alternative to other diets. Not very convincing.

I'm not all negative on it though, I am thrilled that they put her on - and she had a lot of good points to share that hopefully gets people thinking.

Last edited by Slimming-up; 12-19-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Slimming-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

She mentioned on FB that Gayle (backstage) had read the book, was interested and supportive. I'm no Gayle fan, but I would say she was the least obnoxious of the three.

I guess the pics of donuts and pizza may bother some, but probably will attract some too. It really is amazing that you can eat these things every once in awhile and still lose. That fact really shouldn't get lost in the shuffle.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
She mentioned on FB that Gayle (backstage) had read the book, was interested and supportive. I'm no Gayle fan, but I would say she was the least obnoxious of the three.

I guess the pics of donuts and pizza may bother some, but probably will attract some too. It really is amazing that you can eat these things every once in awhile and still lose. That fact really shouldn't get lost in the shuffle.
I probably never would have tried JUDDD if it hadn't been for the promise of pizza, bread, and wine.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Maybe she didn't want to go into the health benefits of alternate day fasting unless she had done the testing to back it up. She mentions a couple of health benefits that were easily verified. I don't envy her having to defend fasting in a world that feels that to be healthy we need to eat every few hours and then do a ton of exercise to try to burn it all off.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Very true... I just don't know about making it front and center of the book - sort of gimmicky, like those so called diets (I can't think of a specific one) that promise weight will melt off while you eat anything you want.

I did stop at Burger King today and I was so hungry at 2 pm, having not eaten yet after DD yesterday, I ordered an angry whopper! That's all I ate today so far, haven't been hungry since!
And I don't feel guilty at all. But I wouldn't brag about it as central to my WOE.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

My understanding is that a lot of things, like the book's title and the cover pictures, are actually out of the hands of the author on these kinds of books. The publisher chooses all of that.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
My understanding is that a lot of things, like the book's title and the cover pictures, are actually out of the hands of the author on these kinds of books. The publisher chooses all of that.
Very interesting! I didn't know that.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
People seem to think it's gimmicky, and that it's for people who can't control themselves and therefore have to fast eod, in order to binge the other day lol (in the comments). Plus, I think the picture of donuts and fast food don't really help the book.

I also thought (maybe unkindly) that she didn't sound very scientific--our stomachs shrink and that's why we don't eat too much on UDs? Really?

Last edited by Librarygirl; 12-19-2013 at 05:51 PM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

She did look very pretty though, but maybe a bit bullied by the hosts.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I don't read comments to articles anymore. Unfortunately, a lot of people just can't wait to rush in and show their ignorance on the topic.

I will say that ADF is a tough sell unless people are ready and open-minded. Most people treat you like you have an eating disorder. The idea that you have to eat breakfast is very ingrained as is the idea that you have to have "three squares" plus snacks or you are starving yourself.

If you read about JUDDD on pretty much any other forum, it's treated like a crash diet or eating disorder, especially on fitness forums. Mosley's 5:2 diet is a little better tolerated because it's less extreme but most other intermittent fasting protocols are definitely considered suspect.

If I were able to get thin by "just watching calories and eating healthy", I wouldn't need this (or LC or LF or...). Unfortunately, watching every morsel that goes into my mouth day after day after day gets very old and any progress made can easily be undone.

Last edited by FrostyBeav; 12-19-2013 at 06:41 PM..
Old 12-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
She did look very pretty though, but maybe a bit bullied by the hosts.
She did look intimidated. I guess I can't blame her. If you aren't used to that kind of thing, I imagine it's nerve-wracking.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Ugh I admit I did cringe over the "shrinking stomach" explanation. She had a golden opportunity to educate them with the scientific benefits but I suppose she's a scientist and not a salesperson. She's probably more at home in the lab than in the spotlight. I do recall an old interview online with Dr J and he was challenged by a "3 meals a day, 2 snacks, more exercise" nutritionist type who had the gift of the gab and you could see Dr J looking very uncomfortable and awkward. He was quite cute by the way; what is it about these geeky scientific cute types..or is it just me

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
People seem to think it's gimmicky, and that it's for people who can't control themselves and therefore have to fast eod, in order to binge the other day lol (in the comments). Plus, I think the picture of donuts and fast food don't really help the book.

I also thought (maybe unkindly) that she didn't sound very scientific--our stomachs shrink and that's why we don't eat too much on UDs? Really?
Exactly. She's out there as the one we look to for the science behind this life changing (for me) WOE.
I've gone on diets before where my stomach shrunk - but that lasted a few months at the most. I couldn't face what would have to be a lifetime of restriction. So I just gave up.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Don't get me wrong - I love what Krista Varady does, and she seems like a great person - looking forward to reading her book.
I'm probably coming across more negative than need be!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #19
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The 'public relations problem' that ADF has is due to the fact that 'binge/purge' is a very common ED (with the purge being fasting), so ADF becomes associated with ED indirectly for many people.

I didn't know until I read Brain Over Binge that many bulimics purge via exercise or fasting rather than vomiting. So the pattern of binge/starving is one model of this ED.

In fact, one of the reasons that Dr. J (in his original book) warned that people with any ED history might want to avoid ADF is due to the fact that they could 'use' the plan to indulge in ED behaviors. In addition, the DD restriction would escalate binge behavior in anyone with such a problem.

I think anyone who promotes ADF has to address this issue directly but few do.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
The 'public relations problem' that ADF has is due to the fact that 'binge/purge' is a very common ED (with the purge being fasting), so ADF becomes associated with ED indirectly for many people.

I didn't know until I read Brain Over Binge that many bulimics purge via exercise or fasting rather than vomiting. So the pattern of binge/starving is one model of this ED.

In fact, one of the reasons that Dr. J (in his original book) warned that people with any ED history might want to avoid ADF is due to the fact that they could 'use' the plan to indulge in ED behaviors. In addition, the DD restriction would escalate binge behavior in anyone with such a problem.

I think anyone who promotes ADF has to address this issue directly but few do.

Good points

I did not see the interview. But I am looking forward to the book. After two years of ADF (or some pattern therein), I cannot imagine going back to having arthritic pain in my hands and inflamed cheeks and cursing the size of my tummy!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #21

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
My issue with what she said, you can eat whatever you want every other day. She didn't really mention that a calorie cap for most on Up Days is necessary! If I truly let myself GO and ate WHATEVER I wanted on up days, this would simply NOT work!

I agree, the interviewers just don't get it. Dang skinny LOSERS!!!!!!
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #22

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
My issue with what she said, you can eat whatever you want every other day. She didn't really mention that a calorie cap for most on Up Days is necessary! If I truly let myself GO and ate WHATEVER I wanted on up days, this would simply NOT work!

Even when I allow for higher UD calories in maintenance, I STILL have to be aware of what I'm eating. I'm stoked that I have gotten away with some crazy indulgences, but I've recently found that I can still easily do 3000 calories in an UD, and then do it again the very next day, without even a DD in between. Yes, I will always need to watch what I eat, even on UDs, and even if I'm rotating every other day.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #23

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Dawn I agree, my issue is only ONCE did she mention moderation. I believe JUDDD has taught me, MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE, MODERATION! Don't hoard it/Don't Binge it/ you can have more on the next UD!
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
i've been on tv several times. news people are very good at cutting out information they think unimportant. i'm not sure if that happened.

maybe she figured the less she argued the more convinced people would be to check out her book. if she'd seemed more combative, that'd turn people off, too. my husband's always saying, "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still".
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Krista did a great job I feel.
The whole segment ran 4:30 sec. The host people talked half the time seemed to me.
I was like shut up to the lady of the right of Krista!
Krista showed she new her stuff.
Thank you for the web site.
Eieio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post

I noticed the "recommended calories" for men and women on the screen in the background while she was being interviewed, and it was unclear to me if that was also in the book, or if they were just showing the difference between the FDA recommendations and a 500-calorie day. I wasn't sure if those were the UD recommendations or not.

As for the comment about stomachs shrinking, I just logically feel that our stomachs don't really shrink until we shrink lol, and then many of us still have large appetites (at our goal weights). At least I see many in here who have no problem with "overeating" on UDs, after JUDDDing for a very long time--including myself.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 12-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
One more thing.
When the lady went on about we should be taught and teach exercise, controlled eating?
My question back to her, how is that working for everybody the last decade or 5, honey?
Said In my nice voice of course.
Eieio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eieio View Post
One more thing.
When the lady went on about we should be taught and teach exercise, controlled eating?
My question back to her, how is that working for everybody the last decade or 5, honey?
Said In my nice voice of course.
I had the very same thought!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

I mean, unless you have a great metabolism and are very active, even eating "normally" would not produce great results. Especially as you get older. I would have to count every calorie, every day and rarely splurge in order to be the size I want to be, if not for JUDDD.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, exactly! And I don't want to live that way, feeling deprived EVERY.SINGLE.DAY! Not for me, man. Give me JUDDD!