Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Hmm she says that people lose more weight if they exercise in the morning on a Fast day. Her explanation is because exercise creates a hunger surge 40 mins afterwards which leads right into lunchtime. If they exercise in the pm then then they may get hungry 40 mins afterwards and cheat in the evening.

I want to hear more about possible scientific explanations such as that the body's fat burning processes are controlled by our sympathetic nervous system (SNS), and our SNS is activated by exercise and lack of food.The combination of fasting and exercising maximizes the impact of cellular factors and catalysts (cyclic AMP and AMP Kinases), which force the breakdown of fat and glycogen for energy.This is why training on an empty stomach (maybe with some caffeine as well) will effectively force your body to burn fat.

Hopefully her book may go into scientific detail but I don't know - shrinking stomachs and hunger surges after exercise... may well appeal to those starting out from a SAD diet..it's just I expected more from someone who has researched this for the last 10 years, which is why I pre-ordered the book. I just hope Dr J's new book is meatier.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Has she ever stated that she does ADF? I hate to imagine that someone might have used the popularity (well, gaining) of a certain diet and did minimal "research" in order to have a best-selling book. I'm continually discouraged by pat answers on FB, that are often opposite of what I've actually learned by doing the diet myself.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4devochki
Stats: 200.6/189/132
Start Date: 2 December 2013
Library girl, I'm new to the FB page, but have you shared your experience there? You have been doing this a while and I'm sure what you've learned would be really valuable for researchers and others.

Also, I agree with Monica and others: for me, ADF is the OPPOSITE of binge eating disorder. When you binge, you are wracked with guilt and self-loathing, and you eat unconsciously, or with a suspension of attention because you are trying not to know what you are doing. With ADF, the eating days (especially if you count the calories, in my very short experience) are really about legal and pleasurable EATING--planning and acknowledging your food, how it tastes, how it makes you feel, how it satisfies you. Being conscious of it, appreciating it, and then moving on to a fast day using the feelings of physical and emotional fullness to tide you over.

Last edited by 4devochki; 12-22-2013 at 07:20 AM..
4devochki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes 4dev, I have shared my experiences some on the FB page. I don't, however, like to constantly disagree with the advice being given, so I have stopped replying.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I've just put a hold on her new book at my library. It doesn't look like they have it in yet and I'm number one on the hold list, so hopefully I'll have it. I really hope there's a ton of good science in this book. I don't need to be convinced this diet works, but I would like to know more about:

*how it works
*how I can tweak to enhance it working
*the actual health benefits that occur from doing it
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I am sorry to hear that she didn't interview well. I agree that ADF SOUNDS controversial, so it needs someone who can really put the point across, and squelch critics long enough to get across what they are saying. We've got the scientists doing the work (yay for Dr. Varady and Dr. Johnson) now we need a good spokewoman. Someone tough.

I have ordered both their books(already have Dr. Johnson's old edition) both to support their work, and to see what they have to say. I am very curious to see if Dr. Johnson has changed his carbohydrate stance. I hope he did a re-write, and not just a tweak. I would love to see some personal long-term histories in the book.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Ugh that interview was SO obnoxious. I was reminded why I watch GMA or Tiday and not this one. In any case, I have preordered that book and am looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Has she ever stated that she does ADF? I hate to imagine that someone might have used the popularity (well, gaining) of a certain diet and did minimal "research" in order to have a best-selling book. I'm continually discouraged by pat answers on FB, that are often opposite of what I've actually learned by doing the diet myself.
Do you mean Dr. Varady? As it's been stated, she's researched ADF for 10 years.
Regardless of whether she utilizes this woe herself, she's definitely not somebody just jumping on the bandwagon because it's the "diet du jour."
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #38
Big Yapper!!!!

I heard that many times, but have not seen evidence of 10 years research. Sorry, but maybe it's just me. I don't know her age, but she doesn't look past 40, so when did she begin her research and why? If she's not doing ADF? Also, she seems to only think of ADF as a weight-loss tool and not a way of life that has benefits beyond weight loss. If she doesn't fast, that might be why. Just my honest observations and opinions.

I will read the book, and give a more informed opinion.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 12-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4devochki
Stats: 200.6/189/132
Start Date: 2 December 2013
She has stated in other interviews that she began her scientific career (as a grad student, probably) looking for dietary ways to lower chronic disease risk. She began by researching the effects (if I remember correctly) of fibers or some other kinds of dietary additives, and noted that the biggest declines in disease markers came in those who lost weight. So this is why she has focused on that aspect of it so far, Library girl--weight loss really is the best thing we can do to lower the chances of coronary artery disease or diabetes. I don't think her personal lifestyle choices say much about her faith in this technique as a method of weight loss, as she looks pretty thin to me.
4devochki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

She is young, that's for sure. I saw her age somewhere and I want to say she is early to mid 30s. But yes, I just assumed she started her research as a student as well.

I don't think somebody has to practice a certain woe to be considered an expert. Jmho.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4devochki View Post
She has stated in other interviews that she began her scientific career (as a grad student, probably) looking for dietary ways to lower chronic disease risk. She began by researching the effects (if I remember correctly) of fibers or some other kinds of dietary additives, and noted that the biggest declines in disease markers came in those who lost weight. So this is why she has focused on that aspect of it so far, Library girl--weight loss really is the best thing we can do to lower the chances of coronary artery disease or diabetes. I don't think her personal lifestyle choices say much about her faith in this technique as a method of weight loss, as she looks pretty thin to me.
Perhaps, but I would be happier if she was also doing ADF. As we know, body size does not mean that fasting shouldn't be done. Plenty of thin JUDDDers around here! Dr. Johnson and Dr. Mosely both are fasters, which makes their findings more interesting to me. But, that's just me!
Old 12-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Just watched the interview. I loved it!!! Any press that gets the word out is good, in my opinion. Thank you for sharing. I don't watch CBS Morning so I didn't know this was on.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 55 5'6" 160/140
WOE: IF 16/8 & 4:3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Perhaps, but I would be happier if she was also doing ADF. As we know, body size does not mean that fasting shouldn't be done. Plenty of thin JUDDDers around here! Dr. Johnson and Dr. Mosely both are fasters, which makes their findings more interesting to me. But, that's just me!
Posted on Facebook: The Every Other Day Diet
December 23

Rafal asks: "Krista, being an expert on alternate day fasting, do you practice the diet yourself?"

"Yes, I used the diet to drop my baby weight after pregnancy (this story is discussed in detail in the book). I also use the diet throughout the year when I find my weight is creeping up by 5 pounds. It find it works great!"

If you haven't gotten a copy of her book yet, you can read excerpts of it on Amazon where she explains her personal experience with EOD.

Last edited by SlimNana; 12-26-2013 at 09:22 AM..
SlimNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

My pre-ordered copy of it arrived on Christmas Eve. I read it easily in-between times on Tuesday and Wednesday.
A large chunk of it is recipes. Sadly, I found it slight. It feels like a book that was gotten out quickly to catch the 5:2 wave. Which is a pity, since he got started on his plan in part from her research.
I would have liked to have read more details from her research. I guess I will have to look up the abstracts.
Oh well. Now I will be waiting on the new edition of Dr. Johnson's book. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
My pre-ordered copy of it arrived on Christmas Eve. I read it easily in-between times on Tuesday and Wednesday.
A large chunk of it is recipes. Sadly, I found it slight. It feels like a book that was gotten out quickly to catch the 5:2 wave. Which is a pity, since he got started on his plan in part from her research.
I would have liked to have read more details from her research. I guess I will have to look up the abstracts.
Oh well. Now I will be waiting on the new edition of Dr. Johnson's book. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the review, Sirtain. I think some of our JUDDDers could write a book better than some of the researchers!
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

I would rather have been able to say lots of great things about it.

I did read an interesting bit in the exercise section. She compared people who were dieting with EOD (Every Other Day), those who were only exercising, and those who did EOD AND exercised.

The dieters lost X pounds.
The exercisers lost 1/3X pounds.
The diet + exercise folk lost 2X pounds.

So, adding the exercise did not just give you the weight reduction of dieting PLUS the weight reduction of exercising (1 1/3X pounds), but IMPROVED the weight reduction.

I do not like to exercise, but this makes me think I should do it. If I can get that kind of return on investment, it might overcome my laziness.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #47
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
I'm only a few chapters in, but so far I am liking it. Not being a "science-y" (heh) person myself, I actually liked the way she spoke about her studies ... ie just giving the pertinent details/outcome.

But one thing I found odd... she'd been conducting these studies for a while that showed that ADF worked in humans, without a doubt. Yet, according to her, when she wanted to lose her pregnancy weight she put herself on a 1,300 calorie-per-day diet. And when that did not yield results, she started the ADF. I guess I just don't understand why she would not have started out with ADF right away?
Old 12-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
I'm reading the book now, and I'm liking it, but it does bother me that she says eating as much as you want of whatever you want on up days will result in successful weight loss. I think that is true in the beginning for many people, but that effect tapers off over time (as Dr. Johnson mentions in his book). I just went for three months doing down days but not counting up days, and I maintained (until I started UUADing it over the holidays and gained a little! ) but stopped losing. For the first two months of JUDDD I didn't count up days and lost weight, but it doesn't work for me now with the anything/as much as I want approach. There are exceptions (like Carly!) but I feel like monitoring up day intake has been really important for most people here.

I noticed something interesting in chapter one of the book that Varady does not attempt to explain. People who followed the diet for three months and who started at NORMAL weight lost an average of 11.9 pounds. Overweight people lost 11 pounds average in the same period (with a few losing as much as 25 pounds). All other things being equal, the overweight dieters should have lost more on average, but they didn't. My theory would be that they ate more on up days!

Last edited by calichris; 12-27-2013 at 04:56 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I just downloaded the book on my kindle and am not too far into it.

Good observations by all the previous posters. I agree with Seabreezes that some JUDDers on this forum could probably write a better book about ADF. I'm thinking of Nancy for one!

Oh, and I also thought it strange that the overweight people in her study lost 11 and the normal weights lost 11.9. Seems backwards and I thought it must be a typo.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I'm really looking forward to Dr. J's new book.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Me, too. I thought it was supposed to be in shops today, but there was no call from Barnes and Noble. I'll have to check with them tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
I just saw the clip, and I thought Varady was well-spoken, but the interviewers were so closed off to the idea of ADF that they were more interested in criticizing the concept than hearing about her research! They invite her on the show and then call her plan "gimmicky," ignoring the research completely, throwing critical (and uninformed) comments out and not really allowing her to respond ... not impressed with the interviewing side of it!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 189.2/184.0/145 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: September 20, 2014 (restart)
I think its a shame that she didn't interview well. She didn't come across as assertive which just hurt her side of the argument.

I think Dr Johnson's approach is a bit better with calorie restrictions on both types of days. I know that I can't eat whatever I want every other day and lose. When I do, I end up maintaining. I think that people will follow her recommendations and not see results, or rather be disappointed with the results. Yes, I'm aware that the book will be more detailed, however a lot of people will try her WOE simply based on that interview without reading the book. I understand the skepticism over eating whatever you want every other day, and rightfully so. While an EOD WOE can provide great losses, you still can't eat whatever you want (every other day) and see results.

Currently detoxing due to numerous food sensitivities.

Gluten, yeast, & soy free!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post
I noticed something interesting in chapter one of the book that Varady does not attempt to explain. People who followed the diet for three months and who started at NORMAL weight lost an average of 11.9 pounds. Overweight people lost 11 pounds average in the same period (with a few losing as much as 25 pounds). All other things being equal, the overweight dieters should have lost more on average, but they didn't. My theory would be that they ate more on up days!
I've just taken a quick skip through one of the research papers on which that summary may be based (the control group in this had no intervention at all, thus, negligible weight loss).
Alternate day fasting for weight loss in normal weight and overweight subjects: a randomized controlled trial

I'm about to go paddling so I'll look again when I return, but I'm baffled by the assertion that there was no loss of fat free mass (FFM) amongst the ADF people - Figure 2 clearly shows a loss of 1.5 - 2kg of FFM albeit there may be some reason why she doesn't consider that to be statistically significant. They do get points for giving DXA body composition assessments to the subjects.

It's a small, pilot study (32 started, 30 finished, 15 in each group) and interesting but I loathe it when public health advice/assertions are based on studies of this size.

ETA: I'm obviously going to have to take a look at this research - not entirely happy.

Last edited by SlowSure; 12-28-2013 at 12:50 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:54 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdforshort
Stats: 221/176/140, 5'4", 61yrs
WOE: Atkins/PPower/Mod Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: LC 3/23/12, JUDDD 6/2/12
Chris and Anon, I am just like you two! If I didn't restrict my UD to around about the calculated number, I would definitely gain. Even though I exercise 4-5 times a week and yes, including the DDs! So, free-for-all UD is a definite no no for me!
jdforshort is offline   Reply With Quote