Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
the biggest thing i am trying to pay attention to

while i am on an UD, it is easy for me to go nuts cause i feel like i gotta get it all in before the day ends. what i have been doing these past few days, as i will end up having 4 UD's in a row (ack!!) is listening to my belly. i had a delicious plate of lasagna last night - it all of a sudden hit me half way thru that i was STUFFED. normally i would just finish it. it tastes so good! i can't have it tomorrow! it's an UD! all those excuses.... but nope. i chucked it. just now i made two eggs on toast. i ate one and a quarter of the way thru the other and ... ugh. so full. chucked that too.

this is probably a no brainer for most of you all, but for me, it's huge. if i can continue to really listen to my body and ignore my brain, i am hoping it will be a habit that i will take with me from here on out.

Colleen- 42 years young

10/15/13 - 137 ---- Started JUDDD
12/3/13 - 128.0
01/02/14 - 125.9
my Goal 115
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
It's not a no-brainer for me, Colleen, and I doubt it ever will be, although I'm better at it now than I've ever been in my life. I just enjoy eating good food. Like you said, it tastes so good I want to keep eating, even when I know I've had enough. Pre-planning has been crucial for my success. It's the only way I can succeed. If I know exactly how much I can have before I start eating, I'll usually stick with it. Otherwise, I just eat and eat.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I do the same. I'd guess a lot of us here do, or we wouldn't have wound up here in the first place. I have a bad habit of eating a little of something, then a little of something else, etc. Like I have to taste everything available, because I won't get ANYthing tomorrow.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
Eating for taste and not hunger is definitely what led to me being overweight, or at least was a major factor. I would always clean my plate and always get seconds if they were available just to taste more. Sometimes eating a huge dinner when I wasn't even hungry or even when I was still full from a large lunch, just to taste the food. I've never examined the roots of where that came from, but I'm sure it had something to do with associating the tastes with being happy, who knows. I remember so many times being so absolutely full that I couldn't sleep from the pain and promising myself I would never do it again, and then turning around the very next day an doing it.

Now I know how much I need to eat to fuel my body and my activities and every meal is cooked with a single portion in mind, for both size and calories. Or as soon as it is done it is portioned into single servings and extra servings go right into the fridge for future meals. And most nights that is enough. If I do feel hungry after eating I give it some time and it usually goes away, but if it doesn't, I never go back for seconds, I'll wait a little while and have something completely different, a snack that fits into my calories for the day and my WOE. I usually plan for a little wiggle room and if I need it I use it and if not then it's a bonus calorie deficit.

Switching to low carb, and especially primal, has definitely improved my will power, I can say no and put off cheats or treats for days, and when it comes time to have it I will have just enough to satisfy that desire and no more. Then right back on plan.

I still clean my plate , but only because it is usually just enough!

159.3 Pounds lost since 7/14/2011

Low Calorie: 7/14/2011 - 80lbs lost
Primal: 4/20/2012 - 55.3lbs lost
JUDDD: 4/10/2013 - 23.4lbs lost
Nutritional Ketosis 9/1/2013 - 15.4% BF
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Yes same here Carol, the telling myself is vey helpful.
And as Mike does too.
I like having the peanut butter jar and jam jar replaced in the cabinet and refri, before I eat the sandwich. If I have to touch the jars again, I'm sitting myself up to eat more PB. It's life fo me. Little tricks help lot.
My hubby is very helpful in the kitchen too with putting left overs away.
He can be trusted, me not so much.
He also doesn't sample food before we actually eAt.
If he is cutting up cheese, beef, whatever, he won't ever think about tasting it.
He's from Mars I swear
I taste everything, pickles, cookies from the jar bacon.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
This is a great post Colleen.

Learning to listen to our bodies is soooo hard. Hopefully time brings this knowledge to us all, but it is not natural for us, otherwise we would not be here sharing these threads.

I am glad you are getting the message. I find it comes and goes.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #7

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
It's not a no-brainer for me, Colleen, and I doubt it ever will be, although I'm better at it now than I've ever been in my life. I just enjoy eating good food. Like you said, it tastes so good I want to keep eating, even when I know I've had enough. Pre-planning has been crucial for my success. It's the only way I can succeed. If I know exactly how much I can have before I start eating, I'll usually stick with it. Otherwise, I just eat and eat.
This is exactly how I am, too. The other night at our company party, I ate everything on my plate. The only thing I didn't finish was my dessert, but I'm really not that much of a dessert eater anyway. I was so stuffed!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #8

Yup.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mafiamom
Stats: 5'2" 131.7 (4/21/14)
WOE: JUDDD 1810/350
Start Date: 10/15/13
yes, i suppose if we had a moderation button, none of us would be here
mafiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamom View Post
yes, i suppose if we had a moderation button, none of us would be here
Isn't that true! I do find quitting when I am full is much easier than it used to be. My appetite is significantly diminished.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Isn't that true! I do find quitting when I am full is much easier than it used to be. My appetite is significantly diminished.
This is me exactly. I attribute it completely to JUDDD. When I'm unusually hungry something is going on with me physically and usually specifically hormonally.

I have been very inactive the last 6 weeks and I see my weight creeping up from the lack of activity so I'm trying to bump that back up. Luckily the appetite is still in check.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
In all honesty, I rarely clean my plate. Except maybe in restaurants when the serving is not huge. I never have. Somehow, though, not eating "that" much got me over 200 lbs.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slimming-up
Stats: 180/134/135 5'7"
WOE: Maintenence - 5:2 (as of 3/1/14)
Start Date: 7/7/13 - JUDDD
Probably like many,I grew up in a family where we were required to clean our plates - which I don't think is a bad thing in itself, but for me it taught me to override my ability to sense fullness and stop eating.
So when I had my own kids,I made sure to never require them to finish a plate. Instead, I made sure portions were small, they could always get more if needed. I constantly reminded them to stop if they were full, and pay attention to their stomachs.

Getting rid of the "don't waste" mentality isn't easy, but I have to remember that eating past full is no better than throwing it in the trash. Worse, because I have to carry it around with me - can't just dump it!

I lost 30 lb years ago doing a program where it was basically "eat when hungry, stop when full". I think it's really that simple for most people. I regained all of it when I just couldn't maintain the discipline to keep it up.
I'm finding with JUDDD that I'm drifting to a more disciplined way of eating - meaning not stuffing my face on a regular basis. And yet I don't feel restricted, so I thing that's what will keep me in a better place long term.
Slimming-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4devochki
Stats: 200.6/189/132
Start Date: 2 December 2013
My off-switch was broken a long time ago, which I attribute that to a lifetime of carb poisoning. They really do screw up the leptin receptors in your brain, as well as your insulin sensitivity, not to mention the dopamine receptors. There is a biological basis for overweight people eating and eating to get more of satisfying tastes--they don't get the same satiation as normies do from the same quantity of food. When I learned this it was like a huge weight of guilt and shame fell off my shoulders.

That said, JUDDD has been like a miracle. I never thought I would feel actually, physically FULL again in my life. Yes, I might binge on carbs to the point of sickness, but even then there was still a drive to eat more. On straight low-carb, I felt better, but still needed mental portion control to know when to stop. Intuitive eating was a total fail for me because there was never a point at which my stomach/brain was telling me to stop.

Now having experienced the miraculous "JUDDD reset," all has changed. The only issue is that I feel so full now, really full, that it can sometimes be an issue to eat close to the calorie levels of the calculator. As the veterans have pointed out, if I go too low now, there will be less room to cut as I lose more weight, and as my BMR declines with age.

This is just a long-winded way of saying yes, I am also trying to be conscious of my body's fullness signals, now that I have them! THANK YOU JUDDD!
4devochki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #15

Dev, this is a great post. I am so pleased that you are finding your 'full' button again. I am such a fan of this way of eating. It really helps so many back to normal eating. Sadly there are exceptions to that which saddens me. But most of us thrive on JUDDD.

I too failed at Intuative Eating, even with Paul Mckenna's help.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:14 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh wow. I remember as a kid falling asleep at the dinner table hours after dinner because "You can't get up until you clean your plate." But how could I clean my plate when I was sooo full?

Wow, what an interesting insight! I call it mindless or autopilot eating...eating because it tastes good, eating because it is there.

I stopped attending clean-plate club meetings. And, like Panelman, if I think I want seconds, I drink a glass of water (thirst frequently masquerades as hunger for me) then wait awhile to see if the feeling goes away...it usually does.

Dev...eat those calories!!! Believe!!!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
For me, this is related to being low-carb. If I am eating food that is good for me, it is easy to stop when I am full. But when I start adding sugars and starches, watch out! It breaks my 'full' switch.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
For me, this is related to being low-carb. If I am eating food that is good for me, it is easy to stop when I am full. But when I start adding sugars and starches, watch out! It breaks my 'full' switch.
Wow, this is well said...so true for me, too!!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Moi aussi.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #20

Didn't find my full switch this evening. Definitely ate too much curry.